US Department of Labor

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014

US Department of Labor Secretary Thomas E. Perez
Thomas E. Perez

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, tons of benefits, still have (in 7 reviews)

• Good collective bargaining, good benefits, good mission statement (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • If you want to switch over to the private sector, there is little in the way of transferrable skills without a law degree (in 3 reviews)

• Downsides include the government salary and layers upon layers of red tape that often surround the progress of work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Flex schedule, telework - good benefits

Cons

Peter principal in full swing

Department of Labor Review

Former Employee - Investigator in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Investigator in Kansas City, MO

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to manage your own workload. Varying tasks and responsibilities that do not become monotonous. 40 hour weeks, never any overtime. No busy periods so you know what to expect week to week.

Cons

Dealing with effects of politics and budget constraints. Lack of communication from top to bottom. There is a definitely ceiling to promotion. Must be mobile and move to DC if you aspire to continue rising through the ranks of the Department.

Communication is key to the development and growth of an office. Lack of communication will lead to lower quality work products.

wage hour investigator

Former Employee - Invstigator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Invstigator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work independently, receive self satisfaction being a civil servant

Cons

micro management, favortism, trying to turn a service into a widget that can be counted for production or to measure there success.

create policy to award more team assignements, trust more in the exprerienced employee

Enlightening, A place to learn alot

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great cafeteria. Many good people who want to make the place better but it is an upward battle.

Cons

Extremely slow to make changes. Outright discriminatory behavior from attorneys in the Solicitors office against contractors. There is a huge discriminations issue between contractors and Federal employees. At least 40% of the Federal employees are ineffectual, lazy and in spite of incredibly poor staff reviews they cannot seem to fire them. Disheartening, slave force mentality. (I am non-black)

Stop the madness- clear out the deadweight lazy Fed employees. Be kind to people who are the underpinnings of the organization.

Not bad, but not great either

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay, good benefits - very fortunate for these
    Some positive changes under new Secretary, including internal detail, training opportunities and improved interest in feedback from employees

Cons

Opportunities for upward mobility very much depend on the office/agency
    Does not seem to be much training for employees, including managers
    Large number of managers clearly aren't cut out to manage
    HR offices not very transparent and frequently very unprofessional
    Does not always practice what it preaches, especially with issues of equal pay, opportunities for some and not others, accommodations for employees with disabilities or physical limitations, etc.

Continue efforts to provide career opportunities and training within
    Make hiring practices more transparent/improve HR operations with some real specialists
    Consider where administrative funds are spent - if people have been hired who can do competent work, then give them raises rather than spending tons of extra money on an outside contractor

Good place to start a career in government/ public service.

Current Employee - Benefits in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Benefits in Phila, PA

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job security.Great benefits, very flexible work schedules/ telework for most. good salary/ pay if you have an advance degree. For the most part, good people to work with. Many believe in our mission to serve for the public good.

Cons

Limited opportunity for career growth,slow advancement, too much office bureaucracy and red tape. Excessive abuse of management power, huge egos, and superiority complex. If you're creative, motivated worker and resourceful, you'll not be considered a good fit for this department. You'll be shunned for standing out and accused of not fitting the old stereotypical fed worker mold. Cut throat and extremely competitive culture, envy abounds and there's no office camaraderie .

Appreciate employees better skills, recognize pre- government work expertise , utilize employees strengths and use specialized and skilled workers to help improve work efficiency/ effectiveness. When deciding new policies, and projects, provide clear and decisive practical instruction , provide tools and effective guidance to facilitate the new practices and processes for better efficiency.

Great opportunity for steady pay and professional development opportunities

Current Employee - Immigration Program Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Immigration Program Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, Great benefits, Good pay

Cons

Too closed minded and not very innovative in its approach to improving processes and systems to maximize efficiency and productivity

Consider private sector methodologies for improvement. Create program guidelines that actually protect the wages and working conditions of US workers...

Intense and Engaging

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Work like balance is a plus, the people are usually easy to work with and management helps out their new employees toward upper development with the organization.

Cons

Small projects can become tedious over time. Small jobs take longer because of the "laid back" culture within the government.

Investigator

Former Employee - Investigator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Investigator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment! Supportive management!

Cons

It can be challenging to meet with difficult employers

Worst professional experience of my life.

Former Employee - Case Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Case Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at US Department of Labor as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I actually did have work, it was semi-interesting and insightful into how the government works. I learned a lot but am having trouble transfering what i learned to a new job.

Cons

I worked on different types of employment based visas between two different cities. It was the most mismanaged and tense offices I ever worked in. I couldn't have my opinions and expertise count for any less by management. There are way way too many levels of management making one bad decision after another. Workflow was irregular and I would go days without anything to do. I had my salary cut in half twice. I went through three different rounds of layoffs. I was laid off twice. Once, where they had another position for me in a different city at half the pay. And then, I was finally let go for good two months ago.

Get it together. The bickering in the office is counter productive. Treat your employees with some respect, contract and federal. Quit changing how you want things done every five minutes. Quit wasting taxpayer dollars by having such inefficient and uncoherent and outdated ways of doing things. Fire employees that do nothing. Promote people that do good work not people who are your cousins. Listen to employees' opinions. Quit pushing the contractors around. Don't hire people and fire them a week later through no fault of their own. Don't move people to a different city and fire them 8 months later without any notice. Really, I could go on but I would be beating a dead horse. it was unacceptably bad. This is not a rant, this is what actually happened.

US Department of Labor Photos