US Department of Labor Reviews

Updated August 6, 2014
Updated August 6, 2014

US Department of Labor Secretary Thomas E. Perez
Thomas E. Perez

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, tons of benefits, still have (in 7 reviews)

• Good collective bargaining, good benefits, good mission statement (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • If you want to switch over to the private sector, there is little in the way of transferrable skills without a law degree (in 3 reviews)

• Maybe get a little monotonous at times and some members of Senior Management should receive better training in staff supervision (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Intense and Engaging

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Work like balance is a plus, the people are usually easy to work with and management helps out their new employees toward upper development with the organization.

Cons

Small projects can become tedious over time. Small jobs take longer because of the "laid back" culture within the government.

Great opportunity for steady pay and professional development opportunities

Current Employee - Immigration Program Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Immigration Program Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedules, Great benefits, Good pay

Cons

Too closed minded and not very innovative in its approach to improving processes and systems to maximize efficiency and productivity

Consider private sector methodologies for improvement. Create program guidelines that actually protect the wages and working conditions of US workers...

Good place to start a career in government/ public service.

Current Employee - Benefits  in  Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Benefits in Phila, PA

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job security.Great benefits, very flexible work schedules/ telework for most. good salary/ pay if you have an advance degree. For the most part, good people to work with. Many believe in our mission to serve for the public good.

Cons

Limited opportunity for career growth,slow advancement, too much office bureaucracy and red tape. Excessive abuse of management power, huge egos, and superiority complex. If you're creative, motivated worker and resourceful, you'll not be considered a good fit for this department. You'll be shunned for standing out and accused of not fitting the old stereotypical fed worker mold. Cut throat and extremely competitive culture, envy abounds and there's no office camaraderie .

Appreciate employees better skills, recognize pre- government work expertise , utilize employees strengths and use specialized and skilled workers to help improve work efficiency/ effectiveness. When deciding new policies, and projects, provide clear and decisive practical instruction , provide tools and effective guidance to facilitate the new practices and processes for better efficiency.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst professional experience of my life.

Former Employee - Case Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Case Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at US Department of Labor as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

When I actually did have work, it was semi-interesting and insightful into how the government works. I learned a lot but am having trouble transfering what i learned to a new job.

Cons

I worked on different types of employment based visas between two different cities. It was the most mismanaged and tense offices I ever worked in. I couldn't have my opinions and expertise count for any less by management. There are way way too many levels of management making one bad decision after another. Workflow was irregular and I would go days without anything to do. I had my salary cut in half twice. I went through three different rounds of layoffs. I was laid off twice. Once, where they had another position for me in a different city at half the pay. And then, I was finally let go for good two months ago.

Get it together. The bickering in the office is counter productive. Treat your employees with some respect, contract and federal. Quit changing how you want things done every five minutes. Quit wasting taxpayer dollars by having such inefficient and uncoherent and outdated ways of doing things. Fire employees that do nothing. Promote people that do good work not people who are your cousins. Listen to employees' opinions. Quit pushing the contractors around. Don't hire people and fire them a week later through no fault of their own. Don't move people to a different city and fire them 8 months later without any notice. Really, I could go on but I would be beating a dead horse. it was unacceptably bad. This is not a rant, this is what actually happened.

DOL Review

Current Employee - Program Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good pay, benefits good, but expensive

Cons

Management does not allow work/life balances. Recognition of job well done is limited to those who management likes. Not much room for advancement. Management not willing to allow moves to learn more tasks/responsibilities

Realize you are dealing with PEOPLE. Push for better moral.

Investigator

Former Employee - Investigator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Investigator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great environment! Supportive management!

Cons

It can be challenging to meet with difficult employers

This is an organization that goes on the premise of "Do as I say, not as I do."

Current Employee - Safety Specialist  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The leave is very generous and stability is very stable.

Cons

The managers have no training. They have no concept of how to deal with people. A lot of the management folks are wanna be cops.

Provide basic training on EEO and discrimination. The good ole boy shop does not have to exist. There is something other than work - a basic homelife.

This is an excellent organization to get started in.

Current Employee - Finance  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy going atmosphere. All of the work gets done on time without any hassles and an all around good attitude.

Cons

There is really no room for growth. You will have to consider leaving DOL after only a couple of years for a lack of any opportunities for growth.

There is no room for growth. It kills motivation.

Bad decision ro come here to work

I worked at US Department of Labor

Pros

Generous PTO like any other govt agency

Cons

Co-workers are your biggest enemies here...

Vital Work Performed In A Poor Work Environment

Current Employee - Investigator
    Current Employee - Investigator

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time

Pros

The work investigators perform is important and often impacts the lives of extremely vulnerable people. Compensation is adequate. Benefits package is generous; you'll never want for time off if you plan right, and several senior employees are known for taking almost the entire month of December off work to avoid 'use or lose' policies on their annual leave. Opportunities for travel are plentiful and can also result in considerable financial windfalls if your car gets good gas mileage and you protect your per diem on overnight trips.

Cons

While potential employees are lured to the position by the promise of quick and hassle-free advancement at clearly defined stages, nothing could be further from the truth. I have had to fight for every promotion over the course of my career here. Managers seem to be taught to never give investigators any clear goals to aid advancement and will attempt to answer e-mailed questions about advancement issues verbally so they don't commit themselves in writing. Advancement is not competitive with other investigators but you'd never know it from the atmosphere: backbiting and gossip is rampant. Promotion to management seems to depend on either your skill in brown-nosing or your luck in being born into whatever demographic group the federal government is sucking up to at the time. Good managers are few and far between, and the vast majority of high-quality managers had to fight and scratch for the better part of a decade to ascend. District and area offices are headed by directors; they are typically high-tech but end up in the wrong one and you may be micromanaged and watched at all times by management to the point of paranoia. Field offices are investigators only and as a result don't suffer from overbearing management, but they often suffer from a lack of supplies and working office equipment (and good luck getting anything you need from higher-ups). If you want to switch over to the private sector, there is little in the way of transferrable skills without a law degree.

Promote good employees when they've earned it; give them clear goalposts for said advancement and don't make them fight for it.

Worked for US Department of Labor? Contribute to the Community!