US Department of Labor Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
96 reviews filtered by

1. Intense and Engaging

I have been working at US Department of Labor

Pros

Work like balance is a plus, the people are usually easy to work with and management helps out their new employees toward upper development with the organization.

Cons

Small projects can become tedious over time. Small jobs take longer because of the "laid back" culture within the government.

2. Worst professional experience of my life.

Former Contractor - Case Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Case Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at US Department of Labor as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I actually did have work, it was semi-interesting and insightful into how the government works. I learned a lot but am having trouble transfering what i learned to a new job.

Cons

I worked on different types of employment based visas between two different cities. It was the most mismanaged and tense offices I ever worked in. I couldn't have my opinions and expertise count for any less by management. There are way way too many levels of management making one bad decision after another. Workflow was irregular and I would go days without anything to do. I had my salary cut in half twice. I went through three different rounds of layoffs. I was laid off twice. Once, where they had another position for me in a different city at half the pay. And then, I was finally let go for good two months ago.

Advice to Management

Get it together. The bickering in the office is counter productive. Treat your employees with some respect, contract and federal. Quit changing how you want things done every five minutes. Quit wasting taxpayer dollars by having such inefficient and uncoherent and outdated ways of doing things. Fire employees that do nothing. Promote people that do good work not people who are your cousins. Listen to employees' opinions. Quit pushing the contractors around. Don't hire people and fire them a week later through no fault of their own. Don't move people to a different city and fire them 8 months later without any notice. Really, I could go on but I would be beating a dead horse. it was unacceptably bad. This is not a rant, this is what actually happened.

3. Investigator

Former Employee - Investigator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Investigator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment! Supportive management!

Cons

It can be challenging to meet with difficult employers

5. Bad decision ro come here to work

I worked at US Department of Labor

Pros

Generous PTO like any other govt agency

Cons

Co-workers are your biggest enemies here...

6. Vital Work Performed In A Poor Work Environment

Current Employee - Investigator
    Current Employee - Investigator

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time

Pros

The work investigators perform is important and often impacts the lives of extremely vulnerable people. Compensation is adequate. Benefits package is generous; you'll never want for time off if you plan right, and several senior employees are known for taking almost the entire month of December off work to avoid 'use or lose' policies on their annual leave. Opportunities for travel are plentiful and can also result in considerable financial windfalls if your car gets good gas mileage and you protect your per diem on overnight trips.

Cons

While potential employees are lured to the position by the promise of quick and hassle-free advancement at clearly defined stages, nothing could be further from the truth. I have had to fight for every promotion over the course of my career here. Managers seem to be taught to never give investigators any clear goals to aid advancement and will attempt to answer e-mailed questions about advancement issues verbally so they don't commit themselves in writing. Advancement is not competitive with other investigators but you'd never know it from the atmosphere: backbiting and gossip is rampant. Promotion to management seems to depend on either your skill in brown-nosing or your luck in being born into whatever demographic group the federal government is sucking up to at the time. Good managers are few and far between, and the vast majority of high-quality managers had to fight and scratch for the better part of a decade to ascend. District and area offices are headed by directors; they are typically high-tech but end up in the wrong one and you may be micromanaged and watched at all times by management to the point of paranoia. Field offices are investigators only and as a result don't suffer from overbearing management, but they often suffer from a lack of supplies and working office equipment (and good luck getting anything you need from higher-ups). If you want to switch over to the private sector, there is little in the way of transferrable skills without a law degree.

Advice to Management

Promote good employees when they've earned it; give them clear goalposts for said advancement and don't make them fight for it.

7. DOL Review

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay, benefits good, but expensive

Cons

Management does not allow work/life balances. Recognition of job well done is limited to those who management likes. Not much room for advancement. Management not willing to allow moves to learn more tasks/responsibilities

Advice to Management

Realize you are dealing with PEOPLE. Push for better moral.

8. This is an organization that goes on the premise of "Do as I say, not as I do."

Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at US Department of Labor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The leave is very generous and stability is very stable.

Cons

The managers have no training. They have no concept of how to deal with people. A lot of the management folks are wanna be cops.

Advice to Management

Provide basic training on EEO and discrimination. The good ole boy shop does not have to exist. There is something other than work - a basic homelife.

9. Worked at DOL as a student intern for years

Former Employee - Program Analyst
    Former Employee - Program Analyst

I worked at US Department of Labor

Pros

Professional dress code not always required.
    Casual attire acceptable most days.

Beautiful rooftop view near cafeteria.

Employee celebrations

Cons

Supervisors, managers, and majority of the management within ETA are racist and hire people of the right skin color.

Low pay

Was denied a grade increase for years, even after receiving an above performance review annually.

Advice to Management

Promote good employees, let go of the bad employees.

Offer tuition reimbursement, as most federal agencies do.

Offer more professional trainings for all emoloyees self development.

Challenging

I worked at US Department of Labor full-time

Pros

Work was rewarding; Enforced regulations to increase workplace opportunities, eliminate discrimination

Cons

Leadership very top-down; not open to feedback from rank and file

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and respond to their concerns; consider their recommendations

11. EBSA

I worked at US Department of Labor

Pros

Projects are interesting. Great people to work with.

Cons

A lot of politics to deal with.

US Department of Labor Photos