US Department of State Reviews

Reset

Interior Designer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at US Department of State full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Such a rewarding job! Opportunity for growth and advancement is A+.

Cons

PSC do not receive full benefits such as the Direct Hires/GS positions. GS can't get fired as easily as a contractor/PSC.

Advice to Management

Communication & respect!

Information Management Specialist

Former Employee - Information Technology in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of State full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to live and work in awesome places all over the world.

Cons

You have to live and work in some truly awful places.

Advice to Management

Great organization to work for.

3. Good. Even better under Hillary.

I worked at US Department of State full-time

Pros

You're doing the most important work in the world. Lots of talented colleagues, and the opportunity to work on amazing issues with global impact.

Cons

Long hours, below market compensation, a sprawling, sometimes duplicative bureaucracy, senior leadership that is only interested in two or three issues -- and frequently picks the wrong battles.

Advice to Management

Remember that there is a world beyond the Middle East. Try to focus a few hours a week on long-term strategic goals beyond pet priorities.

Community Liason Officer

I worked at US Department of State

Pros

Always changing interesting work. You wear many hats.

Cons

Paperwork and reports are time consuming

Foreign Service Officer

I have been working at US Department of State full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The State Department offers great travel opportunities and interesting work. it is an opportunity to see the world, get paid and serve our country at the same time. There are also nice benefits includiing paid housing and schooling for kids while serving overseas.

Cons

Very top heavy with very little incentive for innovation or change. Multiple layers of clearance and supervision that dampen any attempts to streamline or make operations more effiicient.

Advice to Management

I would say to management that you recruit a very talented pool of individuals and the work is interesting and that a plan is needed for taking advantage of that talent. Not everyone needs to fit the cookie cutter mold

7. Foreign Service Officer

I have been working at US Department of State

Pros

Worldwide service; challenging mission; important and meaningful work

Cons

Low salary; almost unlivable if you have to spend any time in DC

Great Opportunities To Serve

Current Employee - Foreign Service Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for the Department State you will have opportunities (and expectations) to learn new languages and develop a variety of skills including policy analysis, written communication and most importantly, serve as the face of America to the world. Your housing is provided overseas as is private school tuition for your children.

Cons

You don't determine your assignments, especially your first two, afterwards its a bidding process. You have to promote the administration's agenda, despite your personal differences. You may have to live in some difficult circumstances in undeveloped countries. You will most likely, never become an ambassador (40% are political appointees). You will start very low in a large, pyramidal bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Encourage fresh thinking and expand and update the Ask Admin Database, far too often, State employees grouse that it seems as though no one has ever done a PCS or some other routine process because of the difficulty in getting things done.

Fantastice Career

I have been working at US Department of State

Pros

Travel Education Tax Free Housing when overseas Upward mobility Overall working for the Department of State is a great career. Working and living is not for everyone but if you are adventurous at heart and have wonder lust, a career with the State Department is perfect. I have been doing this for over twenty years and the stories I have to tell would fill a book

Cons

Moving every few years. Some unprofessional/ incompetent bosses... The Department focuses on hiring academic elitists . Academic prowess does not transfer well to leadership and management skills. Hardship assignments

Advice to Management

The Department should review its hiring process and A-100 curriculum. If the Department truly wants its diplomats to be representative of America, it needs to change its culture of elitism. I think the elitism culture comes from the hiring process that culls non-elitists and the A-100 class encourages the same culture. A review of the CIA's and other Foreign Affair Agency hiring and training methods would provide good source material for reforming the process,

10. Excellent employer, consistently one of the best government agencies to work for.

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of State

Pros

No matter if your a government employee or government contractor you are treated fairly.

Cons

There wasn't much controversy or things I saw that they did wrong in my opionion.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what works and listening to all your employees for the things that will continue to get the job done.

Pathways Internship Program at the State Department

Current Employee - Pathways Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Pathways Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State

Pros

The program has given me a ton of opportunities, including tours of the ops center, attending seminars and networking events, and opportunities for full time careers after I graduate. In the program, I have worked in 2 different offices, both of which have been great. It is also a very well paid internship program which is excellent considering most internships that offer these kinds of opportunities are unpaid.

Cons

Starting in the program involves a lot of paperwork and it takes forever to get everything set up.

RSS Feed </> Embed