US Department of State Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated August 21, 2014

3.9

US Department of State Secretary of State John Kerry
John Kerry

Pros
  • See the world while serving your country (in 12 reviews)

• I worked at the Foreign Service Institute, where they train diplomats (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Foreign Service officers are then central employee core and taken care of (in 27 reviews)

• The biggest challenge is that every two years, there is a rotation of mid-level Foreign Service Officers who arrive with "attitude" (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

135 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Logistics Advisor

Former Employee - Logistics Advisor  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Logistics Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of State full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits, a lot of training opportunities and great options to grow.

Cons

You need to know someone to be hired or promoted.

n/a

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture of hard work, senior management interested in continuously improving the Department, compensation is on par with other gov organizations, opportunity for advancement, encouraged to think outside the box and to be creative.

Cons

Horrible work life balance, senior management interested in continuously improving things - even when there is no need, up our out FS system makes employees overly competitive, serious cultural divide between FS and CS.

Sometimes things are not broken. Don't try to fix everything - over and over again.

My experience at DoS has had its highs and lows. Living overseas was the highlight.

Current Employee - InformATion Programs Officer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - InformATion Programs Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State full-time

Pros

Benefits: Health and medical coverage, federal retirement benefits, paid leave, and a chance to see the world and experience different cultures are major benefits of a career in the U.S. Foreign Service. Overseas benefits include paid housing or a housing allowance and paid education for dependent children between K-12.

Additional Benefits: Tax free housing overseas, tax free educational allowance, etc. (See Benefits on our website for more information.) website is careers.state.gov.

Any Foreign Service Specialist hired after October 1, 2013, who demonstrates FSI-tested Arabic language ability, will receive a one-time recruitment bonus.

Cons

A large bureaucratic society - sometimes comes across as cold and uncaring.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An excellent learning experience, albeit unpaid.

Former Employee - Collections  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Collections in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of State full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had a great time learning about the operations and history of the State Department. It also had the added benefit of being tailored towards the industry I wanted to work in (museums), which you wouldn't normally think of State having. The employees I worked with were kind and extraordinarily helpful, and the office I worked in had a good mix of civil service and foreign service officers, so I was able to see both sides of the types of careers available at State. I was also able to attend a number of events focusing on the Department specifically and DC in general, which all helped my decision to seek further employment opportunities in the District.

Cons

The fact that it was unpaid was a huge con. I know that this is in large part due to factors beyond their control, but it was frustrating nonetheless. I also found the bureaucracy to be a little stifling, particularly the security clearance process. A uniform approach to clearance is all well and good, but it is a bit ridiculous for a museum intern with no criminal history and fairly minimal foreign travel to have a clearance take as long or longer than someone who was actually working with secret documents, as opposed to documents that had been declassified years ago.

Allow for more flexibility in the clearance process, and pay your interns! Expand the Pathways programs so that "normal" interns aren't left in the cold after working for free.

Soul sucker

Current Employee - Visa Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Visa Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good money, interesting work, friendly environment

Cons

Government work is soul sucking. No incentives, productivity is meaningless for advancement, no difference between hard workers and lazy ones when it comes to raises, etc. Terrible management and ever increasing bureaucracy that totally stifles productivity.

Great if you're in it for the long haul

Current Employee - Foreign Service Officer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Foreign Service Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Public service, world travel, free overseas housing, decent pay. If you'd like to travel the world and aren't too picky about where you're going, then State is for you. It might be Ciudad Juarez, Baghdad, or Paris, you just don't know what will open up. You can lobby more as you rise in the ranks. Pay is pretty good but it's hard to live in DC on your salary if you have kids and a stay-at-home spouse.

Cons

Promotion is highly structured and there's lots of bureaucracy. Strategy and planning are needed but the building seems to constantly be responding to the latest crisis. This can dramatically impact work-life balance for years at a time.

Organizational culture shift is overdue to increase innovation and adaptibility.

Stay Away!

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State full-time for more than a year

Pros

The cafeteria has an excellent array of cuisines.

Cons

Management and Senior Management are incompetent.

Great experience, exciting environment.

Current Employee - Public Affairs Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Public Affairs Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of State as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was a very stimulating environment to work. There were lots of opportunities for interns to visit important places and hear important people. I was able to attend live press briefings at both the White House and the State Dept. Great exposure to the world of International Affairs. Everyone in my office was so friendly and welcoming, and I was given lots of responsibility.

Cons

The application is drawn out because of the security clearance, but definitely worth it.

Passport Specialist, I adjudicate applications for processing passports

Former Employee - Passport Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Passport Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Something different everyday. It is definitely a challenge everyday.

Cons

Keeping Focused on everything you do.

Have more Patience with employees

Former Foreign Service Officer (Generalist)

Former Employee - Foreign Service Officer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Foreign Service Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of State full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent training, benefits and opportunity to contribute at senior levels when serving overseas in smaller nations. Especially enjoyed working in the Africa Bureau, where the Department has a lot of autonomy in conducting US foreign policy

Cons

The promotion system, like the military, is stultified and seniority based. On the occasions I had to work with political appointees, I found them difficult and generally unqualified.

Worked for US Department of State? Contribute to the Community!