US Department of Transportation

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Not yet rated.

Anthony Foxx

Good place to work

ProsPositive environment. Good work life balance.

ConsOften too segmented between modes

Great place to start or end a career

Operations Research Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThe work is important; the skills learned can be used anywhere; quality of life balance..

ConsPace of work is slow; technologies are quickly outdated; given last few years, federal service is not the place to build a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's already been said many times that federal pay and promotion attitudes are decades out of date.

About What I Expected

Correspondence Management Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAs a federal job, it has probably been easier to transition into it from the military. It is easy to pick up the job tasks.

ConsThe work does not require much from the employee. The focus is on time physically in office versus actual work put in. The pay appears to be less than the national average for the work performed. Inherently, there is no room for advancement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's the US Gov

ProsGreat work life balance. The people are pretty smart.

ConsThe speed of the government and poor pay

Talented Professionals Committed to Others

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDOT is a regulatory agency, most people are experts in their field - even the politicals have several years of experience in the field. You can tell most people love their job & genuinely want to make a difference.

ConsPromotional Opportunity is a challenge because minus the politicals for most of the senior leadership this is their career.

Great people, horrible leaders

Program Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWork life balance is ok, the DC location is nice, the missions are interesting. The budget is okay could be better. Nice locations for places to eat lunch. There are many parking garages around the building.

ConsLeadership is bad, morale is bad, network, lack of resources, poor team work

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent, adopt servant leadership, be more understanding

Good experience as a student intern

Intern (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsAs a student intern they let me choose my own schedule. I worked with the budgets and loved my work until I did it so fast that I had nothing to do.

ConsLeadership has problems. Nothing ever gets done by the deadline. Several unneccessary meetings. Small company that no one outside the company is familiar with. Very slow paced.

Great job, great people!

Program and Management Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsThe best part of my job are my fellow co-workers. Everyone her comes in and gives an honest days work for an honest days pay. The pay for what I do is good.

ConsLimited opportunity for advancement within my geographic location, there are plenty opportunities but I would have to up root my family and move away from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemoving the FV Pay Band and returning us to the GS Pay Band.

Excelent environment to work at. People are very professional.

Financial Management Specialist (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsExcelent benefits, opportunity to grow, competitive salaries.

ConsMay be require to move to another state within the Union.

Excellent place to work

Program Analyst (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsFlexible work schedules, good salaries, telework opportunities

ConsVery few opportunities to move from clerical to analyst positions,

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an audit of actual duties vs. job descriptions to us as a tool for setting grade levels. Many of clerical positions still at GS-5/6 probably need to be at higher levels due to work assignments and vice versa for some mid-management positions.

Worked for US Department of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!