US Department of Transportation

Anthony Foxx
1 Rating

Office of the Secretary - Information Technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Transportation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job stability. Very good core group of rank and file employees.

Cons

Change is very hard for this organization and resistance is fierce. As such, status quo is encouraged and ambition is met with mistrust and there's no recognition for quality work. Communication is almost non-existant and bosses treat their supervisory responsibilities as extra duties and something they may get to. Senior positions are often filled with trusted individuals that are mostly unqualified for the positions.

Great people, horrible leaders

Former Employee - Program Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Transportation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance is ok, the DC location is nice, the missions are interesting. The budget is okay could be better. Nice locations for places to eat lunch. There are many parking garages around the building.

Cons

Leadership is bad, morale is bad, network, lack of resources, poor team work

Be more transparent, adopt servant leadership, be more understanding

Depends on the team, but lots of red tape, poor management, disengaged employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Transportation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Lots of wonderful tools, learning opportunities and some very smart and motivated people who are truly passionate about their jobs. Find them and figure out a way to work with them and you can be happy.

Cons

You may not enjoy working with or around the people who are very concerned about not working one minute longer than their 40 hours, taking more than full advantage of RDO (regular day off) and Remote Work policies (a shame for folks who follow the rules and are productive), take lots of unscheduled leave and actually refuse to learn. Very strange. There is no accountability for bad behavior, a lot of looking for other teams, contractors or circumstances to blame for anything undesirable.

Hold folks accountable, don't just overlook bad behavior. Do the right thing. Set the bar higher and set a clear example of what success can look like.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unfufilling work with little reward

I have been working at US Department of Transportation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly rated agency with good benefits and good opportunity for engineers.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for individuals outside of engineering. Additionally, bickering between offices causes mistakes.

Good enough for government work, right?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Transportation

Pros

Good income and good work flexibility

Cons

Not alot of work and 40 hours to fill

Work like the private sector and we'll get alot more done.

Extremely disjointed agency

I have been working at US Department of Transportation

Pros

The best reason to work for US DOT is the core mission of all the modes is to save lives.

Cons

The US DOT still works in a vaccum. They have not grasped the importance of collaboration - an extension of partnership. Partnerships in the "real" world are when you share common goals with another agency or organization but use your own separate means to get there. Collaboration is when you work together to achieve those goals. DOT tends to work on an island by themselves and not with others. Another issue with DOT is an aging population who have been placed in management and therefore has positioned others in key positions based on personal preferences. Nepotism is very prevalent in this agency.

It appears that the political appointees of this Administration "gets it". They understand what it takes to suceed and how to structure the organization by employing and retaining a skilled workforce. I hope they are able to keep the momentum to change DOT into the great agency it has the potential to become.

I did not do anything today and I still got paid because I work for the State.

Current Employee - Auditor
    Current Employee - Auditor

I have been working at US Department of Transportation

Pros

- Flexibility
    - Benefits
    - Can show up late and leave early

Cons

- Management incompetent
    - Pay is based on seniority not performance
    - Many slackers
    - Boring

Pay employees based on performance not age or seniority. Reward employees when doing above standards. Discipline slackers. Implement efficient training program.

The FAA USE to be a great Agency to work for and I USE to be proud to say I worked for the FAA.

Current Employee - Administrative  in  Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at US Department of Transportation

Pros

Benefits are good. Job stability is good.

Cons

The new pay scale is horrible and demoralizing. Management does not nor care to have in-depth knowledge of how employees in the lower echelons performed their jobs. Decisions are made with little or no thought as to their ramifications on employees.

Stop making the DOT so top heavy. Pay attention to employee surveys and RESPOND to the findings. Abolish Core Compensation and put us back in the GS pay scale.

Great place to start or end a career

Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst

I have been working at US Department of Transportation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work is important; the skills learned can be used anywhere; quality of life balance..

Cons

Pace of work is slow; technologies are quickly outdated; given last few years, federal service is not the place to build a career.

It's already been said many times that federal pay and promotion attitudes are decades out of date.

About What I Expected

Current Employee - Correspondence Management Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Correspondence Management Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Transportation full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a federal job, it has probably been easier to transition into it from the military. It is easy to pick up the job tasks.

Cons

The work does not require much from the employee. The focus is on time physically in office versus actual work put in. The pay appears to be less than the national average for the work performed. Inherently, there is no room for advancement.

Worked for US Department of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!