US Department of Treasury

US Department of Treasury Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

US Department of Treasury Secretary of the Treasury Tim Geithner

Tim Geithner

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, except when there's a crisis (i(in 6 reviews)

• They provide a fair wage and good benefits (not the benefits, pensions and perks as in the 70's through the early 2000's)(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and minimal bonus opportunities(in 3 reviews)

• Compensation is poor in relation to private sector jobs(in 3 reviews)

Excellent way to get your foot in the door in DC (Intern)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe staff usually are very busy but that's to be expected given the demands of the job. However, they make an honest effort to connect with their interns and go out of their way to bring you onboard a long-term, meaningful project. Fantastic networking opportunities either within the Treasury or across federal agencies. Recommendations from Treasury officials can carry significant weight.

ConsInterns usually work apart from the staff which can be quite isolating. The office technology isn't quite up to date. When the staff is busy, the interns are very easily forgotten.

Tax Examiner

ProsThe employee benefits are ok.

ConsRecruiting term employees with experience to permernent employees. It is wasteful training them and when permernent positions are available, they hire others that they have to train again for the same positions. That's wasteful because most of term people are well educated and good workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the wastefulness of not hiring term employees, permernently. You are loosing valuable people.

Some pros and some cons

ProsFlexibility between worklife and family life

ConsToo much favoritism depending on manager you can be deemed best or worst without regard to your actual work

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for manager that care more about the business agenda and less about their personal agenda

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work and grow your career

Tax Compliance Officer (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsBenefits were great, health care, retirement and education. Never a hassle with getting time off, especially when we all worked together.

ConsAll was noted when it came to compensation, personal growth and my work life balance. I believe that the reason for this was the Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that all that you do is great.

Loved working here. Small environment/high job satisfaction.

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSmall environment. Able to effect change and see results.

ConsWear many hats, must assume roles with little or no training because there is no one else to take them.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more telework opportunities in all offices. Many office do not adopt the telework policy. It would help with employee retention.

Good Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to work and a lot of smart folks.

ConsNothing bad to say about working there.

Summer Internship, great learning experience, organized, great networking opportunities

Office of Financial Stability Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGiven a number of responsibilities and assignments
    Able to sit in on calls and meetings
    Opportunities for guest speaker events
    Opportunities to network with other interns and full time employees

ConsWork can be tedious/repetitive (typical government work)
    Things are run somewhat inefficiently. ex. took over a week to get a pass for the building because of paperwork and security
    Unpaid internship for undergrads, graduate students get paid

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement seemed organized, everyone was kind and accepting. Keep it up

Great career. The most fun you can make out of an accounting degree

Supervisory Special Agent (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat benefits. Job satisfaction is high

ConsJob can have long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better mobility policy

International Affairs Cream of the Crop

International Economist (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsReally smart staff. Great opportunities to travel and learn a lot. You can switch offices every couple of years. For the most part, merit based. Great place for a career. Great work-life balance, except when there's a crisis (i.e. Ukraine).

ConsBefore I *finally* got my promised promotion, I would have said that they needed to do more to deliver on promises. The promotion panel can be a bit of a black box. You can be told you are doing a bang up job, but are still getting passed over. When the budget was tight, they held back on staff retention/promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job retaining good staff. Sometimes money does talk.

A good long strange career trip!

ProsSteady employment and steady career growth. Had to take Washington desk job when child was small because as a mother I just couldn't work all the unscheduled nights on search warrants. Getting promoted into an analyst position and moving to D.C. area made raising a child in a nice neighborhood possible for my husband and myself.

ConsWashington D.C. metro area is very high cost and even though salary grades are much higher than other parts of the country, it's all relative. Financially if one can stay in the Mid-West at even one or two grade levels lower and pay off a mortgage, you'd be better off. Work is repetitive and boring. Government rules and bureaucracy are stifling - it is extremely difficult to get projects completed let alone off the ground. Hiring is based on EEO and not on ability or capabilities and this is why government suffers when it comes to developing and maintaining technology systems and must rely on contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementInconsistent long term funding and inability to control labor (hiring and firing) make it difficult to develop and maintain large IT projects. FISMA requirements make starting a project almost impossible.

Worked for US Department of Treasury? Contribute to the Community!