US Department of Treasury

Updated December 16, 2014
4.1

US Department of Treasury Secretary of the Treasury Tim Geithner
Tim Geithner

Pros
  • interesting work; good work life balance; exposure to broad range of issues (in 7 reviews)

• Great work environment and great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay; bureaucratic process for getting things done (for example, getting the transit subsidy) (in 3 reviews)

• Compensation is poor in relation to private sector jobs (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A Learning Experience

Current Employee - Contact Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Contact Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Department of Treasury

Pros

Great Health Insurance Benefits. The FMLA provides you with job security if you or a loved one becomes ill while employed with the agency. Good Seasonal opportunities. Provides an opportunity to educate the public regarding Federal Taxes. Provides an opportunity to learn about Federal Taxes.

Cons

The ability to climb the ladder is hindered if you're not interested in Management.

Only qualified individuals should be chosen for Management.

Tax Examiner

I worked at US Department of Treasury

Pros

Flexible hours, also offered very early 1st shift hours.

Cons

Sit too long in front of the computer.

Public Affairs Internship

Current Employee - Public Affairs Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Public Affairs Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Treasury as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This was an awesome internship in Washington DC. I had the opportunity to do cool work related to public affairs-- scanning news clips, writing transcripts of interviews, putting together packets on interviewers for Treasury officials. Very helpful if you are interested in working in public affairs/media relationships with the government. I also helped set up for Treasury events. At the end of our internships, we had the chance to meet some really high-up officials at the Treasury and get some personal one-on-one advice regarding the next steps of our careers. Cool!

Cons

Unpaid, but that's pretty common in DC. There was significant down time at certain points during the semester.

work for the government its good

Current Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Treasury full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great working environment. easy community, benefits and more.

Cons

stagnant work place. very sedimentary. quiet and strict.

Interesting work, few promotion possibilities

I have been working at US Department of Treasury full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

interesting work; good work life balance; exposure to broad range of issues

Cons

very bureaucratic; lots of favoritism; few advancement opportunities

IVO Tax Examining Technician

Current Employee - Tax Examiner Tech in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Tax Examiner Tech in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at US Department of Treasury full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work you do is important. You treat every return like a paper person because these refunds do matter to people. My position has taught me how to look for trends in data and be more analytical. If you do well on your work, take the time to volunteer for extra work, and produce high quality output then you will see doors open. Also they are very understanding about time off.

Cons

A lot of significance is placed on your EOD. Otherwise known as Enter on Duty date. Once you've been there 5 years it counts the same. But for intelligent people just starting out they will see that those with 5 plus years are no longer even trying to pull their weight. Not all but quite a few.

Give out evaluations based on quality and quantity of work. Stop letting those under you treat you like they are your boss!

Intern, Office of Economic Policy, Summer 2014

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Treasury as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, you get to work on some really substantial projects and get a lot of support from expert economists. The program is incredibly well-run; you get to meet a lot of very interesting people from different organizations as well. I'm still getting a lot of support from the office!

Cons

Interns are unpaid and can't use the gym. There is a transportation stipend, but it takes a long time to get it.

I was exposed to a lot at Treasury, but your experience depends on the office you work with internally.

Former Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Treasury as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really smart people, with amazing experiences to learn from. You are working with a critical piece of the government, and can also be exposed to international work.

Cons

Experiences vary widely across the organization. There is a distinction between career and political appointments, but that is true across the federal government. Politics is ever-present and often determines the agenda despite what you might prefer to focus on.

It is a great place to work if you don't mind sharing your desk, chairs etc. It can be stressful because of workload and

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at US Department of Treasury full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly people are the majority. Many of whom share in training and we pay it forward to others. benefits are great.

Cons

Phones are a demanding workload. We have to work paper also and the cases are complicated. Rumors are one of the biggest problems there. Top down management style is a curse.

Start being fair instead of holding back on good workers. The focus seems to be misguided in most managers trying to point out little things to criticize workers instead of helping them to succeed.

Tax Examiner

I have been working at US Department of Treasury

Pros

The employee benefits are ok.

Cons

Recruiting term employees with experience to permernent employees. It is wasteful training them and when permernent positions are available, they hire others that they have to train again for the same positions. That's wasteful because most of term people are well educated and good workers.

Be aware of the wastefulness of not hiring term employees, permernently. You are loosing valuable people.

US Department of Treasury Photos