US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014
3.2

Robert A. McDonald

Pros
  • Great work life balance as overtime typically is frowned upon (in 18 reviews)

• The VA has good pay, good benefits and opportunities for training (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • It was clear that it was a hostile work environment from day one (in 16 reviews)

• The upper management had no idea what was happening in the different departments (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I had a overall good experience was like a second home

Former Employee - Program Support Assistant  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Program Support Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I enjoyed working with the veterans

Cons

At the end of my time working there it became less family friebdly

Potential for social workers

Former Employee - Intern  in  Lyons, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Lyons, NJ

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

High salary for social workers, great benefits, job security, benefits, relocation potential (basically any where in the world where there is a military base)

Cons

Getting a job after the internship has ended even if you were a stellar intern

Unsupportive bureaucratic culture

Current Employee - Social Worker  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best starting salary and above average benefits (except for vacation time) The work is meaningful and the clients are great.

Cons

Social Workers feel oppressed, disregarded, disempowered and misinformed by unnecessary mid-management. ethics leave much to be desired. Can't tell if middle management is incompetent or just nasty. I hope this is different in other VA locations but will leave as soon as the right job presents itself. I'm sorry
     I let the pay suck me in.

Learn how to manage people -- it shouldn't be by fear tactics and negativity. And stop with the impossible to meet metrics. Don't you read/listen to the news?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

File Clerk

Current Employee - File Cerk  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - File Cerk in Bronx, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits were just okay

Cons

The company seems horrible in which way they treat employees. Government workers at their best.

Get with the program and hire new people who are innovative.

Overall satisfying

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  East Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in East Orange, NJ

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Provided a great and friendly atmosphere for both veterans and employees. Free health center, free lunch, and very flexible hours.

Cons

Not many cons to discuss. The hospital I worked at was fairly old and that was the only downside, from a technical standpoint.

strictly ok place to work as long as you are really looking out for something permanent

Former Employee - Associate  in  Queens Village, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in Queens Village, NY

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time for less than a year

Pros

good place to start when looking elsewhere

Cons

full of temp workers
    nobody stays permanent

please care about your staff

VA Hospital

Former Employee - Journeymen  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Journeymen in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Experience for entry level

Cons

Typical Federal l Civil Service

Need continuing education for advancement

Very Discriminatory!!!

Current Employee - Office Associate  in  Calverton, NY
    Current Employee - Office Associate in Calverton, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are a veteran they are great as they really do take care of you & look out for you. They have the best benefits that I have ever seen. Other than that.......

Cons

It was my experience, not being a veteran because of medical reasons extending back to when I was 4 years old, that the ONLY reason why I was hired was because I am disabled & that they were looking for any reason to get rid of me which they finally did when I was in hospital which they knew about.

I understand the need to recruit veterans, but do not discriminate against those of use who could not be veterans because we couldnt serve due to circumstances beyond our control. I felt that I was being discriminated against beginning on my ODA. It is rare that I am able to apply for a VA job on USAJOBS.GOV because I am kicked out of the running for not being a veteran. Through your discriminatory practices you are in essence saying that ONLY veterans & no one else can work for the VA which is very interesting in my case as I do volunteer my time helping the veterans at the Long Island State Veteran's Home located in Stony Brook, New York!!!

It's everything you hear about working for the government

Current Employee - IT Supervisor  in  Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Supervisor in Eatontown, NJ

Pros

In many ways, the job is flexible, management is understanding of personal issues, there is never a shortage of work to be done, benefits are great, salary is more than fair.

Cons

Working for the federal government has it's cons; Feedback on work (either positive or negative) is minimal. Even when there is feedback, it usually feels disingenuine. While I work with several outstanding individuals, there are a few that are less than stellar, to say the least. It is impossible to motivate, eliminate, or even re-assign these employees. It contributes to a culture that contains some negativity. Most employees, even the better ones, don'd hide the fact that they are looking out for themselves, before the needs of the organization. I dont know that there is an easy fix for this, it boils down to the structure of working for the federal government, where ultimately, we report to elected officials.

Good pay, flexible schedule. Boring work.

Current Employee - Vsr  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vsr in New York, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, flexible schedule. Opportunity to travel.

Cons

Boring work. Red-Tape to deal with.

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!