US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
743 reviews filtered by
3.3
Robert A. McDonald

Pros
  • Great work life balance as overtime typically is frowned upon (in 21 reviews)

• Great Benefits- little on the high end for premiums but I have 4 children (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • A miserable work environment with the threat of being fired hanging over your head constantly (in 22 reviews)

• No real direction or connection from upper management or supervisors (in 17 reviews)

Logistics

Current Employee - Logistics
    Current Employee - Logistics

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

I came from the private sector where it is all about fattening someone's pockets while you work work work. I'll never go back to that. This job is fulfilling because you get to help our nation's hero's. Nothing can compete with this vacation policy, I have more time off than I'll ever use. If you enjoy helping others and not helping your CEO get his 4th vacation home, you'll like this place. Oh and the insurance and retirement are outstanding.

Cons

It is true about what you hear about Government employees. Just don't fall into that loop and you'll be happy. Don't let other peoples' negativity get you down, because when you look at these Veterans and realize what they went through, the piddly arguing goes out the window.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat.

2. Good experience

Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Seattle, WA

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Great team and staff, and great departmental support

Cons

Bureaucracy due to the governmental institution

3. Work Study - IRM

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Was a great place to work. Like-minded veterans work hard and achieve goals.

Cons

I have no cons to mention.

5. logistics

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs (More than 3 years)

Pros

A career that will be very rewarding helping our nation's veterans. The people here have worked diligently to rebuild public trust. The dedication to our facility's mission statement can be seen throughout each department.

Cons

There is resistance to the change, but they're being weeded out.

6. Medical Support Assistant

Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Denver, CO

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with veterans, relationship with co-workers, great home/work balance, ability to grow, very supportive working environment, overall great place to work

Cons

I had to leave to start an internship with the hopes of getting hired again, I would say a con would be how long it takes to get hired into a position

Advice to Management

Increase the rate of hiring personnel to prevent worker burn out

7. Medical Support Assissant

Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Memphis, TN

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Very good job love it

Cons

long process to get hired!

Dental Assistant

Pros

Salary not commission, benefits for retirement are good, Paid sick leave (maternity leave) again the benefits outweigh the pay.

Cons

Nobody here really likes to hear what you have to say or takes suggestions on improvement for the quality and care for the veterans seriously. I have written letters to the director. If you are looking for somewhere where you are truly valued and expect to get a bonus at the end of the year because you do everything you are told to do and adapt to anything else they pile on your plate..don't expect anything!..In the end if the more they cut the bonuses for you, the higher the bonus for senior executives will be. Know that for a fact.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. The bottom feeders are the ones who do all the work while upper level management attends luncheons. The people on the lower end of the payscale i.e. sterilization processing should really get paid more for what they do. They are one of the essential reasons we get to see patients. If we don't have clean sterile instruments, then we would be unable to operate and they see to it that every crevice in instruments are sterilized properly for the safety of people (i.e. colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc. )

9. I started working as a VALOR student (really enjoyed it) and have been offered a full-time position!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs (Less than a year)

Pros

28 days of vacation and 16 days of sick time is very nice; I also really like the family insurance, 4% of matching 401K and the pension.

Cons

I haven't really worked long enough to see the bad stuff associated with the VA, although I am sure there is something

Great place to work

Current Employee - Supervisory Pharmacy Technician in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisory Pharmacy Technician in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and if you show up to work you will always have a job with good pay.

Cons

Some of the people that work there are lazy and don't to really work, They just like the pay rate.

Advice to Management

To monitor all the employees and try to find out who are actually doing the work and let the one who not go.

Registered Nurse

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Government Benefits, room for growth

Cons

Pay, hiring process, some employees are rude and think evade they have a military background they are superior to civilian employees

US Department of Veterans Affairs Photos