US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
3.2

Robert A. McDonald

Pros
  • Great work life balance as overtime typically is frowned upon (in 21 reviews)

• Great Benefits- little on the high end for premiums but I have 4 children (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • A miserable work environment with the threat of being fired hanging over your head constantly (in 22 reviews)

• No real direction or connection from upper management or supervisors (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful experience and I hope to return to work with them in the future!

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Great benefits! Competitive pay. Preferment to military vets (guess this could be a con, but I'm a Vet so it's a pro for me!)

Cons

Unfortunately, as with most federal government jobs, it's a good ole boys club and sometimes favorites are quite obvious.

I have had the best 3 years working at the VA because I have a strong compassion for helping people and Veterans are worth every bit of my daily activities.

Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best things that I love working at the VA is serving our Veterans. I enjoy watching them smile. I enjoy helping them get all they need for their time and services they have rendered for me. I enjoy the work at the VA because it gives me life to help people.

Cons

The challenge that I have working here is not being able to give every veteran everything they deserve.

Some advice that I have to share with upper management is being sure that every employee get a fair chance to be heard throughout the workplace for any changes that take place in the workplace. Allow employees to advance with every effort to make a big career choice in their career path.

Better than most places

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

The patients are appreciatative of all services

Cons

Management needs to listen more

VA review

Current Employee - Claims Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Claims Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time (more than an year)

Pros

solid benefits at the VA

Cons

Stressful work environment at the VA

Contracting Officer Position

Current Employee - Contracting Officer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Contracting Officer in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Growth, Training, Telework, Flexible Schedule, Great Mission

Cons

Management at higher levels do not address the issues.

Msa

Former Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Loma Linda, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Support Assistant in Loma Linda, CA

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job to learn. Great working with veterans. Compensation is on a GS pay scale. Accept any job and then apply within the company fly a higher paying position because employees get precedence.

Cons

Everything is about politics. Most departments are behind and it affects employee morale and patient care.

Great place to work if you like doing the exact same things day in and day out...

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

One of the pros about working here is the job security. Since it's gov't, you don't have to worry about contracts ending. Also, after you complete training, you can work on flex time which gives you flexibility to come in between 6-9 and work for 8.5 hours.

Cons

The ones who have worked in pension and claims depts for a while are very desensitized to the concerns of the veterans. Also, I was very misled during the hiring process. The job description said I would be interviewing veterans and serving as a liaison for the vets when they're trying to access their benefits. My job consists of coming in, putting in my earphones, and working like a robot until the end of the day. No one speaks to anyone. It's depressing. I've only been here since 8/2014 and I'm already ready to find a new job.

Conduct sensitivity training for staff. As a veteran myself as well as a former case manager for homeless veterans, it's very discouraging to hear some of the insensitive conversations.

Veterans Claims Examiner

Current Employee - Veterans Claims Examiner/Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Veterans Claims Examiner/Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The hours were good, the benefits stellar.

Cons

I was the only attorney on the Court and Advisory/Policy staff. It was incredibly difficult to get management to understand why some options for improving the claims process were not going to pass muster with the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims because they did not understand how the law works. Administrative Law was not a required class or required education for upper-level management and the changes implemented with retraining and retooling would later be overturned by the court. Existing administrative law warned against these changes, but management was not educated enough in the law in order to understand my legal analysis and advice -- the Veterans paid the price. Resigned due to retaliation for Whistleblowing: we were paying lifetime benefits to Veterans to whom we'd already paid burial benefits and there was suspected fraud and forgery, but no one (not VBA, not OSC not FBI) wanted to look into it. Went from stellar employee reviews to retaliation and resigned.

Don't hire non-lawyers for the court staff and please DO listen to the advice of attorneys -- we understand the legal implications of changes in light of existing VBA law and overarching administrative law.

I have had the opportunity to learn, train, lead, and grow. It has been a great experience.

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Temple, TX

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I feel right at home working with other veterans. Its like a family.

Cons

Dealing with other peoples personalities.

management must learn that skills come from what you do everyday and not by a title.

Awesome

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

provides upwards mobility for those with limited capacity in other work environments. Flexibility with telecommute opportunities.

Cons

Great place to work when not really worried about production. Bureaucracy rules the day.

US Department of Veterans Affairs Photos