US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.2

Robert A. McDonald

Pros
  • Great work life balance as overtime typically is frowned upon (in 18 reviews)

• The VA has good pay, good benefits and opportunities for training (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • It was clear that it was a hostile work environment from day one (in 16 reviews)

• The upper management had no idea what was happening in the different departments (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Most of my years at the VA were amazing because the patients were very appreciative.

Former Employee - Nurse  in  Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Nurse in Syracuse, NY

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The VA have really great benefits and they also offer competitive pay.

Cons

You could never get to know everyone because of its size

In order to be a great boss and have your employees work really hard for you, you must respect and appreciate them. You must also be fair to everyone.

I like working here!

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with veterans, Great pay, Great benefits

Cons

Work schedule is all over the place including multiple weekends in a row!

Please reward hard workers and limit favoritism.

I really enjoy working with Veterans Affairs, I have the chance of helping our veterans.

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Enjoy working from 9 to 5. No weekends but some holidays.

Cons

The salary could be better, but it is a work in progress so we are told.

I feel Management should have training on all levels of the job. Stop being defensive when questions or issues are addressed from employees!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for Veterans

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Biggest government organization in the healthcare industry and can obtain solid healthcare experience. Been with the organization for more than eight years. Also pretty good healthcare and retirement government benefits Will always hire...priority are Vets!

Cons

Slow growth potential, but if you're willing to relocate to where the opportunities are, you'll have no problem. Low and slow pay. Be prepared for potential government shutdowns.

Still a government agency and requires Congressional approval for operational funding and oversight. Moving towards more accountability--a good thing.

Great

Pros

I get to help the veterans

Cons

I don't have any cons for the job

The government has its issues, but their dedicated people here

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Reno, NV

Pros

Great mission
    Customer oriented
    Work environment was very friendly, and encouraging to Veterans as patients and as employees.
    A true help to your community.

Cons

The trails of those whom are your patients can have troubling levels of stress. With suicide, and other issues that will confront on a daily basis.

Chin up! the views of the general public does not understand the lengths that you and your team go through to meet the demands of an aging Veteran Population.

A good foot in the door

Current Employee - Medical Reimbursement Technician  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Medical Reimbursement Technician in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

This is a a good starter job to get in the door. Just a little bit of experience or education will get you in. They have great benefits and work hours (flex).

Cons

The pay is very low but so is the responsibility. It is cubicle life if you can handle it. Also, after the first six months you must meet productivity numbers. There is room for advancement but it is a slow climb.

OK overall

Current Employee - Voucher Examiner
    Current Employee - Voucher Examiner

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs for more than a year

Pros

It is a diverse place to work.

Cons

Education is undervalued and not taken seriously.

Wonderful opportunity to serve our country's veterans.

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Mission is second to none. Flexible schedules.

Cons

Largely influenced by Congressional whims.

Great benefits but little room for growth

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Health care benefits, retirement benefits, job security and set salary. Everyone has access to their salaries and has the ability to see what they will make years from now. Vacation time accrues pretty quickly.

Cons

Seniority issues. Everything is determined by seniority- vacations get determined by whoever chooses their weeks first. Also, past military experience counts; for example, if you've been at the VA for five years, and someone gets hired in your department with ten years of military experience, they automatically are considered more senior than you. Time off usually isn't difficult except in situations like this: if your more senior co-workers wish to take the same weeks off each year, you won't be able to take those off unless you negotiate with them. The other problem with the VA is that veterans now get preference no matter what when applying for jobs within the agency. If you are equipped for a job but a veteran also applies (even with less experience), the veteran has to be hired over you. Good for the vet, not for the civilian.

Worry more about the satisfaction of your workers and your customers/patients than crunching numbers. We all recognize and feel the strain of budget cuts but it is worth the extra expense to ensure patient safety and satisfaction.

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!