US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Updated May 2, 2015
755 reviews filtered by
3.3
Robert A. McDonald

Pros
  • Great work life balance as overtime typically is frowned upon (in 21 reviews)

• Great Benefits- little on the high end for premiums but I have 4 children (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • A miserable work environment with the threat of being fired hanging over your head constantly (in 22 reviews)

• No real direction or connection from upper management or supervisors (in 17 reviews)

Logistics

Current Employee - Logistics
    Current Employee - Logistics

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

I came from the private sector where it is all about fattening someone's pockets while you work work work. I'll never go back to that. This job is fulfilling because you get to help our nation's hero's. Nothing can compete with this vacation policy, I have more time off than I'll ever use. If you enjoy helping others and not helping your CEO get his 4th vacation home, you'll like this place. Oh and the insurance and retirement are outstanding.

Cons

It is true about what you hear about Government employees. Just don't fall into that loop and you'll be happy. Don't let other peoples' negativity get you down, because when you look at these Veterans and realize what they went through, the piddly arguing goes out the window.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat.

2. MEDICAL ASSISTANT

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Great for former veterans who are looking to help and be of service. You get to interact and swap stories of previous service tonyour country. It's a beautiful experience.

Cons

No cons to me. Just a wonderful place to be if you're into able and disabled veterans.

3. Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice welcoming environment it really feels like a family. Some offices have the ability to adapt their work schedule to their lifestyle. Many of the positions allow frequent telework to help with the work life balance. Everyone seems to really care about their job and providing assistance to veterans.

Cons

I ended up with an incompetent manager but I did notice that was not the norm throughout the organization. The particular job I had was extremely redundant data entry.

Advice to Management

Adjust your management style to properly fit the complexity of the job/task being performed.

5. RN

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

The VA has great benefits

Cons

The pay scale is somewhat lacking

6. LVN

Current Employee - LVN in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - LVN in Waco, TX

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Residents, Residents, Residents, Residents, Residents

Cons

management, upper management upper management

Advice to Management

utilize the strengths of your staff and get to know them. Don't rely on what has been done for years just because it has been for years and so has your staff.

7. Good experience

Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Seattle, WA

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Great team and staff, and great departmental support

Cons

Bureaucracy due to the governmental institution

8. Work Study - IRM

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Was a great place to work. Like-minded veterans work hard and achieve goals.

Cons

I have no cons to mention.

9. Resident

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Brockton, MA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Brockton, MA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-excellent support staff
    -professional environment
    -great opportunity for advancement

Cons

As in all government agencies, excessive bureaucracy

Advice to Management

none

Dental Assistant

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary not commission, benefits for retirement are good, Paid sick leave (maternity leave) again the benefits outweigh the pay.

Cons

Nobody here really likes to hear what you have to say or takes suggestions on improvement for the quality and care for the veterans seriously. I have written letters to the director. If you are looking for somewhere where you are truly valued and expect to get a bonus at the end of the year because you do everything you are told to do and adapt to anything else they pile on your plate..don't expect anything!..In the end if the more they cut the bonuses for you, the higher the bonus for senior executives will be. Know that for a fact.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. The bottom feeders are the ones who do all the work while upper level management attends luncheons. The people on the lower end of the payscale i.e. sterilization processing should really get paid more for what they do. They are one of the essential reasons we get to see patients. If we don't have clean sterile instruments, then we would be unable to operate and they see to it that every crevice in instruments are sterilized properly for the safety of people (i.e. colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc. )

11. logistics

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs (More than 3 years)

Pros

A career that will be very rewarding helping our nation's veterans. The people here have worked diligently to rebuild public trust. The dedication to our facility's mission statement can be seen throughout each department.

Cons

There is resistance to the change, but they're being weeded out.

US Department of Veterans Affairs Photos