US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated February 28, 2015
Updated February 28, 2015
3.3

Robert A. McDonald

Pros
  • Great work life balance as overtime typically is frowned upon (in 21 reviews)

• Great Benefits- little on the high end for premiums but I have 4 children (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • A miserable work environment with the threat of being fired hanging over your head constantly (in 22 reviews)

• No real direction or connection from upper management or supervisors (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

It has been a very rewarding job but lacks promotion potential.

Current Employee - Administrative Support
    Current Employee - Administrative Support

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

I love the patients that I am privileged to work with daily. Most of my fellow employees are equally committed to their jobs and the veteran population we serve.

Cons

The GS pay grade system is designed for equal pay; however, it does not reward hard work or job skills. Basically, anybody can move their way up the ladder just by putting your time it. Which puts lots of people in mid-management who shouldn't be there. The system it set up to run off the bright, young motivated employees or completely discourage them. It's really hard to work for mid-management who have their position just because they have been there 30 years not because they are qualified.

Don't let mid level managers just inherit jobs. It's discouraging to those of us who put the time and effort into our education and training.. Internal promotion should focus more on the employees skills and not their time in grade.

Amazing internship experience

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful support and camaraderie within the department. Learned so much in my time there. Always opportunities to expand knowledge and complete rotations throughout the department.

Cons

Dealing with HR can be a headache and take forever.

Med/Surg nursing, ambulatory care, Home Telehealth Case Manager

Current Employee - HOme Telehealth Case Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - HOme Telehealth Case Manager in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team work, working in teamlets allow individuals to be able to collaborate and form collegiality.

Cons

Little or no privacy for the patients with working in some areas

The flow of communications needs to be on a two way street. Listen to your employees who are down in the trenches.

VA Internship

Former Employee - Student Trainee in Iron Mountain, MI
    Former Employee - Student Trainee in Iron Mountain, MI

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Was able to learn how many of the departments function. Was able to do projects for many of the employees and grow in my personal development.

Cons

I felt as if I was the "extra" intern. The department I was assisting with didn't need a lot of help and I often sat around and waited for something to do.

Create a better layout for interns- adding more structure to our experience will improve our quality of work.

Work Life Balance

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, hands on training, very competitive pay rates and the people are just great! The corporate culture is relaxed while there is a major feeling of being a part of a team. The company mission statement is clear and it seems that all employees really are there to help people find jobs in their own way. Expectations and goals are high but the support is present to help all employees achieve set goals. Management wants to help their teams succeed.

Cons

Program Support Assistant responsible for coordinating referral care for patients. Exhibits exceptional patient service to get veterans the healthcare that they need in the public sector. Communicates with professionals in over 50 medical specialties to coordinate referrals and appointments.

The Department of Veterans Affairs takes care of their employees and encourages advancement. The VA not only helps the patients, but also wants the absolute best for their employees

Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Love This Job!
    Current Employee - Love This Job!

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Personal and professional growth with an entity that puts the Veteran first!

Cons

A lot of management oversight and not enough "worker bees"

Hold people accountable!

Five years experience as a business process analyst, staff analyst, and supervisor of analysts.

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedules, veteran friendly, and extensive career latitude and longitude.

Cons

Bureaucratic, political, a little disorganized, and low career development.

Upgrade/update the systems, train and develop effective staff, and except and implement great ideas.

Great opportunities with Veterans Affairs

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great job security and benefits with Veterans Affairs. Uses the GS pay scale. Great opportunities for advancement. Disabled veterans hiring preference a huge benefit for applying veterans.

Cons

Government bureaucracy, mandated overtime in certain careers.

Good place to work

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Good place to work and work hard

Cons

I do not have any cons to say, None!

Love the Veterans, Hate the politics.

Current Intern - Licensed Professional Counselor
    Current Intern - Licensed Professional Counselor

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

I love working with the Veteran population and you get amazing access to informative counseling protocols and research. The pay is higher then most other employers too. Again, can't say enough about how awesome it is to work with Veterans!

Cons

Lack of opportunities for LPCs where I work. If your a social worker or and psychologist there will be lots of opportunities for you, not so for LPCs. Also the team I am on doesn't always get along so well so there is tension at times, however this doesn't overshadow patient care.

US Department of Veterans Affairs Photos