US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Robert A. McDonald

Pros
  • Great work life balance as overtime typically is frowned upon (in 21 reviews)

• Great Benefits- little on the high end for premiums but I have 4 children (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • This creates an interesting work environment (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is often less capable than mid management in terms of leadership vision and direction (in 17 reviews)

Logistics

Current Employee - Logistics
    Current Employee - Logistics

Pros

I came from the private sector where it is all about fattening someone's pockets while you work work work. I'll never go back to that. This job is fulfilling because you get to help our nation's hero's. Nothing can compete with this vacation policy, I have more time off than I'll ever use. If you enjoy helping others and not helping your CEO get his 4th vacation home, you'll like this place. Oh and the insurance and retirement are outstanding.

Cons

It is true about what you hear about Government employees. Just don't fall into that loop and you'll be happy. Don't let other peoples' negativity get you down, because when you look at these Veterans and realize what they went through, the piddly arguing goes out the window.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat.

US Department of Veterans Affairs Response

Jun 16, 2015 – Department of Veterans Affairs Employee

Thank you for sharing your experience! It is invaluable to hear directly from VA employees. I agree that the absolute best part of a career at VA is the ability to help our Nation’s Veterans, and I ... More

2. Love the paid time off but salary is below average

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Time off. I work four 10 hour shifts a week so have a scheduled day off. PTO is 8 hours every two weeks which totals to 26 days off per year in addition to 13 sick days and all federal holidays off.

Cons

The electronic medical records system is awful. It is from the early 1990s and very basic. Also, the human resources department sucks. It is very disorganized! Lastly, the salary is below average. If you're looking to make tons of money, this is not the place. I care more about time off than money, however, so it works for me.

Advice to Management

I would recommend they hire more people in HR to assist all of the employees and make it more organized. It was very chaotic when I was hired!

3. Was an honor to work there!

Former Employee - Administrative Officer
    Former Employee - Administrative Officer

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very supportive of ongoing education and training. Great job security. Tremendous opportunity for growth and advancement. Good pay. Great benefits. Opportunity to serve veterans

Cons

Hard to discipline employees when necessary.

Advice to Management

Listen to front line employees more.

5. RN

Current Employee - Staff RN in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nurse to patient ratios are no more than 6:1. Flexibility with work schedule. Awesome benefits

Cons

Lack of authority from all levels of management. Not many people are disciplined for bad work performance or not for taking care of patients

Advice to Management

Stop being friends with subordinates and take action to fix problems

6. RN - Nashville

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Nashville, TN

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good promotion potential, many opportunities to get involved, scholarship opportunities (they are paying for my MSN!), working with veterans, ability to transfer while keeping all benefits and leave.

Cons

Problems don't get solved. Nearly impossible to fire someone. Staffing is usually short. They keep adding things for RN's to do, without taking away any responsibilities making our jobs even more difficult! Management is unable to make changes.

Advice to Management

since it's a government job, I know there is little you can do in regards to big changes... but don't act like something will change or get fixed when it wont!

7. Love it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Barracks, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Barracks, MO

Pros

Love the job, the people and the benefits!

Cons

There is always room for improvement.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

8. NP in OKC

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Great benefits!! Getting time off is seamless. Lots of organizational programs to assist patients with needs.

Cons

Complex patients. Many with psychological co-morbidities. Very detailed electronic charting system that is not very user friendly.

Advice to Management

More time allowed to follow up on patient issues and more training with the computer program when brought on new.

9. Federal employment for Veterans

Pros

This is a great way for a Veteran to gain entrance to the federal system.

Cons

You may need to settle for a lower income for a time until getting the job opening you want.

10. Sr. Storage Engineer

Current Employee - EMC Storage Engineer/HP Administrator in Great Mills, MD
    Current Employee - EMC Storage Engineer/HP Administrator in Great Mills, MD

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs (More than 10 years)

Pros

VA is doing a great job with the materials and information that they have in front of them

Cons

Nothing negative to record at this particular time

11. Working for the Federal Government

Current Employee - IT Specialist
    Current Employee - IT Specialist

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission in support veterans.

Cons

no real Cons to write about

Showing 987 of 1,047 reviews