US Department of Veterans Affairs

www.vacareers.va.gov

US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

US Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki

Eric K. Shinseki

Pros
  • Great work life balance as overtime typically is frowned upon (in 18 reviews)

• The VA has good pay, good benefits and opportunities for training (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • It was clear that it was a hostile work environment from day one (in 16 reviews)

• The upper management had no idea what was happening in the different departments (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Volunteering at the VA

Office Manager, Public Affairs (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFor anyone who wants to keep their experience sharp, this agency is welcoming to volunteers, and creates opportunities for whatever direction the volunteer wants to grow in. There are opportunities for Continuing Education for professionals, and a stipend for lunch when you work the entire day.

ConsI did not find any negatives when I was volunteering three days weekly for over 12 months. The staff were diverse and welcoming.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the great work!

I enjoyed my experience with the VA Medical Center in Durham, NC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStaff were friendly and I felt I was giving back to those persons who served our country.

ConsGovernment managed health care is regimented and usually not open to individual interpretation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great Group of People at VA

ProsPeople, culture, overall work, and work-life balance.

ConsInformation moves very slowly in the government.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more management in order to spend more time for developing employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is the best job I could have ever asked for.

ProsVeteran centered care. Challenging job that changes daily. Excellent co-workers. TSP and company contribution.

Consleadership attention is not always focused on what the exact issues are because they are not providing the direct care to patients. Benefits are not any better than other places. Seems to have too many leaders and not enough direct care practitioners. Leadership is constantly trying to 'improve' systems but it really just creates confusion and almost always in the end goes back to its original functioning.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to save the money from all the trainings and forums they send leadership/management to and let them provide some direct care. If you never actually work with the patients and staff that provide services you don't know how you can be helpful in improving the system.

EXCELLENT.

Resident Engineer (Former Employee) San Juan, PR

ProsThe projects of building hospitals and clinics for our veterans is a very rewarding job.

ConsVA Central Office has relegated the technological support of the Resident Engineer Offices to the nearest VA Medical Center.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more support to the Resident Engineer's Offices.

Great place to work!

ProsThe VA truly believes that their Veterans come first and it shows in their nursing care. Good nurse to patient ratios.

ConsSome things are redundant and they dummy down a lot of jobs. They could get more out of their employees if they actually put them to use in their full potential. Too many managers. Low pay for the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries and work your employees to their full potential.

Patriotic Duty in Federal Service

ProsOutstanding opportunities for personal development, fantastice benefits, competitive salary, challenging assignments, cutting edge organization in healthcare.

ConsCentralization is increasing, congressional oversight can be stifling, red tape can be frustrating,

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep encouraging us worker bees

Loved my experience at the VA

Clerk (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsExcellent opportunity to learn, opportunities for career advancement, co-workers were helpful and team oriented. Managers offer guidance and allow for work family balance, public transportation, ride sharing are rewarded and encouraged.

ConsSome of the managers were tough to work for. At times the work is repetitious and tedious but it's to be expected, I guess, with the position.

Potential for social workers

Intern (Former Employee) Lyons, NJ

ProsHigh salary for social workers, great benefits, job security, benefits, relocation potential (basically any where in the world where there is a military base)

ConsGetting a job after the internship has ended even if you were a stellar intern

Rating Veterans Service Representative

Rating Veterans Service Representative (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros-You are positively impacting the lives of Veterans
    -Everyday is different because you are working on a cases of a different Veterans each day.
    -Challenging job as you are evaluated on quality and production

Cons-Mandatory overtime
    -You must go through GS-10 before reaching GS-11

Advice to Senior Management-Have more understanding about production standards as job can be stressful; especially with new computer systems

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!