US Department of Veterans Affairs

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014
3.2

Robert A. McDonald

Pros
  • Great work life balance as overtime typically is frowned upon (in 19 reviews)

• Great Benefits- little on the high end for premiums but I have 4 children (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • It was clear that it was a hostile work environment from day one (in 17 reviews)

• The upper management had no idea what was happening in the different departments (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Benefits, PTO, "one and done" - as in you're not going anywhere unless you do something extremely stupid.

Cons

Micromanaged, too many people with limited job functions coasting their career away.

Recognize the large discrepancy between employees that are there to just cash a check and those that are truly elite talents.

Project manager OIT

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable job invironment with good benifits. Advancement is availble with steady growth throughout your career.

Cons

The environment is not very exciting. The bureaucracy can become tiresome.

new employee

Current Employee - Staff RN  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Omaha, NE

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the staff is friendly and helpfull. Patients are veterans so sometimes they are joy to work with at other times, a lot of patience is needed. I work here PRN and the way it works is awsome, I call and tell them what days I am available for the week and go in on those days. I am rarely called off and always done in plenty of time.

Cons

The hiring process took forever! I also think they hire "unfairly" you have to know someone. You can have 10 years of experience and be an awsome nurse, veteran, disabled and yet they will hire a new grad, non-vet, not disabled over and over again ahead of you. Also their computer charting is quite old and takes a lot of time away from direct patient care.

I would like to see management re-evaluate how they hire people and what criteria they look at. I think a lot of nurses who are well qualified are being passed over for less qualified nurses because of personal preferences.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits but little room for growth

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Health care benefits, retirement benefits, job security and set salary. Everyone has access to their salaries and has the ability to see what they will make years from now. Vacation time accrues pretty quickly.

Cons

Seniority issues. Everything is determined by seniority- vacations get determined by whoever chooses their weeks first. Also, past military experience counts; for example, if you've been at the VA for five years, and someone gets hired in your department with ten years of military experience, they automatically are considered more senior than you. Time off usually isn't difficult except in situations like this: if your more senior co-workers wish to take the same weeks off each year, you won't be able to take those off unless you negotiate with them. The other problem with the VA is that veterans now get preference no matter what when applying for jobs within the agency. If you are equipped for a job but a veteran also applies (even with less experience), the veteran has to be hired over you. Good for the vet, not for the civilian.

Worry more about the satisfaction of your workers and your customers/patients than crunching numbers. We all recognize and feel the strain of budget cuts but it is worth the extra expense to ensure patient safety and satisfaction.

Not the worst place to work

Current Employee - Medical Technologist  in  Loma Linda, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Loma Linda, CA

Pros

Job security is always nice.

Cons

No incentive to do more than the minimum.

Low morale, lazy workers

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Serving veterans, supportive team members

Cons

Culture created by senior leadership

Require more of yourselves and all employees

My first 6 years were great. I would give them a 4 or even a 5, but the last year was a 0.

Former Employee - Program Support Assistant  in  Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Program Support Assistant in Manchester, NH

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The government has great benenfits and pays well. Be aware, however, that each departmet is one of its own. It is liek they are a separate company.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism at the VA. People who should be chastized, are not and the ones who are doing a great job are. It is really not a fair place to work.

Treat all your employees the same no matter if they are your friends or not.

Department of VA

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Nashville, TN

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping veterans
    flexibility based on supervisor

Cons

politics
    salaries
    management
    promotions
    consistency of agency
    old school mindsets

office culture
    promotions

The government has its issues, but their dedicated people here

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Reno, NV

Pros

Great mission
    Customer oriented
    Work environment was very friendly, and encouraging to Veterans as patients and as employees.
    A true help to your community.

Cons

The trails of those whom are your patients can have troubling levels of stress. With suicide, and other issues that will confront on a daily basis.

Chin up! the views of the general public does not understand the lengths that you and your team go through to meet the demands of an aging Veteran Population.

This is a great company to work for

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Job stability, great pay, great benefits

Cons

There are no cons available , great place to work

US Department of Veterans Affairs Photos

Worked for US Department of Veterans Affairs? Contribute to the Community!