US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. medical support assistant

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

I loved my job as it was dealing with the veterans who are great people. The people that I worked with were great. I had no problems.

Cons

I really had no complaints

Advice to Management

I was a team leader at this time I don't want management

Love helping Veterans!

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Helping Veterans Working at home options

Cons

Management loses sight of who our customer is

Advice to Management

Worry about quality not quantity. Get it right the first time.

I love serving Veterans

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for the VA is serving Veterans. I feel honored to carry out the mission every day and serve Veterans that served us. I wish all employees kept this mission in mind throughout their career. The pay and benefits is also very good.

Cons

We are such a huge bureaucracy that fighting through the red tape for our Veterans needs each day is wearing and an uphill battle. If there was some way to give employees more capability to serve their Veterans without all of the red tape, the employees and Veterans would be happier. All new or transferring employees should have access to their computer in a reasonable time. I transferred to a new VA station and it took 14 days to activate my PIV card. No access means no serving Veterans. How much money am I being paid to sit at my desk and do nothing? The Las Vegas VA had a wonderful NEO where everyone worked together and got access for all employees by the end of the NEO process. In addition, the education team was inspiring and motivational!! They would be a great champion program!!

Advice to Management

I also agree with getting rid of the "bad apples!" There are some employees just buying time and making it harder for employees that care. Make it easier for management to get rid of those people.

Good job

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire veterans and treat them well. There was a lot of benefits and good pay. There was a good/work life balance with a range of shift schedules available

Cons

There was quite a bit of out dated technology, it was a slow-paced work environment, and not a lot of training opportunities to take advantage of.

Advice to Management

I would recommend to invest in newer technologies and training to keep the staff knowledgeable since technology changes so quickly.

Caregiver

Current Employee - Caregiver in Walterboro, SC
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Walterboro, SC

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love caring for People, young or elder. People Person.

Cons

When somebody dies, that hurt.

Advice to Management

Yes, looking for long time employment with Growth.

Love it here, but it could be better

Current Employee - Peer Support in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Peer Support in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love that every day I get to come into work and positively impact veterans quality of life. This isn't a job, it's a passion.

Cons

With the VA my biggest pet peeve is that there are way to many "that's not my job" type people here. It seems that some are so focused on their small piece of the pie.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat on the workers who have little to no interaction with veterans. There needs to be a working knowledge on what the entire VA does. I'm not talking about a nurse helping a veteran file a disability claim, but they should know where the resources where the veteran needs to go.

VA

Current Employee - Advanced Medical Support Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Advanced Medical Support Assistant in Portland, OR

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and help serve our Veterans

Cons

No cons to mention at this time

Review

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Good place to serve the Veterans

Cons

The policy changes a lot and it effect the program.

Advice to Management

Team work.

Growth Potential?

Current Employee - Administrative Support Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Support Assistant

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

The benefits and flexibily are excellent and the work is meaningful. There are many great resources available to employees that are hard to find in the private sector.

Cons

It is difficult to grow and advance because someone is usually already in mind when a job is posted. Moving to another facility or state is even harder because those jobs are usually open only to employees in that facility or VISN. Transfer opportunities should not be impossible.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the younger VA employees with potential and mentor those who show they have interest in growing professionally. Share your knowledge, don't hoard it. Being a leader is more than setting and enforcing the rules; it is setting the VA up to receive the best future leaders for our nation's veterans.

I love serving the Veterans, but some services have lost sight of what's important

Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Temple, TX
    Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Temple, TX

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Security Pay Feeling useful Doing what I love Staff that have your same ideals Great retirement plan The Veterans

Cons

Supervisors who have no training Supervisors who don't know how to supervise. Supervisors who talk about you with certain staff.

Advice to Management

Be very selective when choosing a new supervisor. Please check out their past relationships with other staff or people in general. There are too many supervisors who have favorites or cliques and they don't even try to hide it. This creates animosity and hampers the desire to work at your best ability. I've been at the VA 30 years and I love it. But when I was first hired, I was told "if you screw up, you ll move up". Sadly, this is true for far too many people. Usually, it's someone who has made friends with supervisory staff. I have never "kissed up" to a supervisor, I wanted my appraisal done by my job ability. It would be nice to get an appraisal on your knowledge and skills, not who you're friends with.

RSS Feed </> Embed