US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
725 reviews filtered by

1. Great experience in the Federal world

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, Promote from within, total Job Satisfaction working with/for Vets, Holidays off (or 1.5 pay), flexible hours, Annual+Sick Leave.

Cons

Office politics come into play here. Don't get involved if you don't want to be a part of it.

2. Non -VA Care Clerk

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Great opportunities for career advancement. Employee benefits are great. Most facilities are modern with great resources available.

Cons

lack of communication between senior management and the rest of the facility.

3. financial admin asst

Current Employee - Financial Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Financial Administrative Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Great way to give back to those who served our country.

Cons

Benefits arent too good and hours of operation in thev way of family time.

5. Great pay and benefits overshadowed at times with politics

Current Employee - Nurse in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Nurse in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits compared to private sector

Cons

Rigid pay scale and limited opportunities to advance
    Management is very political with a tendency to play a lot of games and chooses favorites

Advice to Management

Remain objective and give merits and demerits to all as they are earned

This is an okay place to work. If you want a regular 9 to 5 and collect a stable pay check please feel free to apply!

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This place is only postiive in the aspect of once you pass probation and tenure you have job security. Also the pay is okay and annual increases are automatic. The benefits are nice as well and have not had much compaints about that. The work schedule is also flexible so I enjoy that aspect as well.

Cons

First on my list of cons is the poor management and leaders of the organization. They from my experiance they just do not care about the morale of the staff at all. There is favoritism in the organiztion wheather anyone wants to admit it or not. Employees that are "in good" with the managers get preferential treatment. This can be blantent sometimes, and other times it is hidden very well. Lastly dedicated and motivated staff are always taken advantage of. The ones who work the hardest are generally over worked, under recognized, and over looked when promotion opportunities become available.

Advice to Management

My advice to the managment would be please, please, please take the time out of your "busy" schedules to actually listen to your staff, build a strong team, and provide adequate training that leads to advancement for your people!!!!

7. The epitome of inefficiency

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some patients are very selfless and considerate. It is not a for-profit organization. I get to order what I believe the patient truly needs, without having to worry about insurance coverage. Some of the staff are great, always willing to help. But in an agency where there is so much job security, there are bound to be staff that don't do their share. The people that care go above and beyond to compensate for those that don't do their fair share; this obviously leads to higher burnt out rate. It is a work environment that can't keep competent and dedicated employees.

Cons

I spend more time documenting what I do than performing the task itself. I believe that I work at a hospital, so as a clinician, shouldn't I have some support from administrative staff? Somehow, this dept believes that the clinical staff should support the administrative staff???!!!!! If the administrative staff can't figure out how to do something, the clinical staff should change their whole routine and spoon feed it to the administrative staff in a way that a 4th grade child should be able to comprehend. We don't have a receptionist, so everyone has to take turn sitting at the front window. To top it off, the director questions why the phones aren't being answered? All other departments have multiple schedulers and their phones aren't being answered. So why is it so surprising that our phones aren't being answered when there's no receptionist?

Advice to Management

Hire more competent support staff! If you wonder why the phones aren't being answered, perhaps there are more phone calls than the number of staff can handle! It is like getting in line at the supermarket. If there's only one cashier open, there's going to be a long line, and the first question that comes to mind is, how many people do they have working?

8. Great work environment! Professional and Friendly staff!

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Huntington, WV

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

The starting pay was great and so were the hours. Monday through Friday, on a set schedule. Being able to help the Veterans that have served our country was very rewarding.

Cons

I really didn't have anything negative to take away from the job. I thought it was great.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and be willing to give people a chance. Make sure that all of the employees are being nice and respectful to the patients.

9. it the government what do you expect

Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Medical Support Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great benefits and extremely hard to get fired once your probationary period is over. Federal discounts from retailers and other business

Cons

the natural federal BS. not enough pay, too much taxes, management abuse of power. yearly mandatory training that takes up most over your work day. at my location the Union is no help and neither is HR. IT doesn't fix anything

10. Good way to get experience, but highly unethical senior executives and below average pay.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

To actually get good work experience and to fulfill the mission of helping veterans

Cons

Being in the middle of various and often different political battles: The politics of a small office, the regional office, the headquarters, and the executive and congressional branches of the federal government.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, ethical, and take responsibility.

11. VA

Pros

Great worklife balance. Lots of sick and annual leave. Telework and compressed work schedules available. Slow paced, low stress environment.

Cons

Slow paced, low stress environment. Low pay. Experience is awarded over ability. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

When selecting managers, choose people based on their ability and contributions. Don’t select people based on their years of service or experience. Lay out clear roles and responsibilities for teams.

US Department of Veterans Affairs Photos