US Department of Veterans Affairs Reviews

Reset

1. ONE VA SHOULD REALLY BE ONE VA

Current Employee - Assistant Section Chief of SPS in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Section Chief of SPS in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Serving the Veterans is the greatest Pro. Pay, Leave, Benefits, and TPS are a plus too.

Cons

The defination of ONE VA is really be ONE VA. Standarlization should be key in every VA from the PPE, Products, uniforms and Services we provide.

Advice to Management

Really understand and be able to identify with frontline team members. Eliminate the words staff and employee replace with Team Member. Provide Management a better way to hold Team Members accountable for performance and conduct without having to fear the Unions.

2. Certified a Pharmacy Technician

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Serving our nations veterans making them feel like they really can rely on our care for them as they protected our Freedom!

Cons

Having co workers with less attitudes and more help to do our jobs to the fullest

Advice to Management

have them stick up for their team more maybe we would have more respect all around.

Working at the VA

Current Employee - LMFT in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - LMFT in Houston, TX

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great team mates, challenging cases

Cons

Bureaucratic, slow to change culture

5. Retired Occupational Safety & Health Manager

Former Employee - Safety Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Safety Manager in Montgomery, AL

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs

Pros

Helping employees and veterans as well as visitors

Cons

Long hours Getting cooperation Getting folks to buy in the program Too many sites to maintain with a lot of responsibilities Getting employees to understand the difference between a safety and management issue

6. sterile processing tech

Former Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team player.love what I do

Cons

Love my job ,willing to training

Advice to Management

Live my job , get along with others , try to my best , hard work ,will to train

7. Rating

Current Employee - Director of Recruitment Policy in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director of Recruitment Policy in Washington, DC

Pros

The mission is important and the sIze of the organization allows mobility

Cons

Too fragmented; IT services are outdated

Advice to Management

Centralize

8. What is good, and what could use improvement

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Martinsburg, WV
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Martinsburg, WV

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

An employee at the VA for eight years. I have been very impressed with private memorial services that I have attended. Once a year there is a public memorial service for the patients at our hospital that passed. Very heartwarming..

Cons

The one thing that I would change is the fact that ten and twelve hour tours are approved, but I can't seem to keep mine. I've had them but not consistently. First I have all twelves then a week of twelves, a week of eights, week of twelves, week of eights..... Or they are taken away all together for no valid reasons. This is why I rate the VA Work/Life Balance so low. I work in nursing. Very demanding schedule. I need twelve hour shifts...

9. VA why didn't I do this sooner?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promotion potential, Paid training and school, ability for innovation and stratigic thinking. Flex schedules and tell work! People are friendly and helpful!

Cons

Please fix HR! They really screwed my hiring up. Contracting for IT is crazy.

Advice to Management

Can you please not do restructuring or reorganize within OI&T for at least two year? How can we truly measure anything for success when it isn't implemented for any length of time. Also stop bashing your IT GVT folks and bringing in these kids from industry (DST) who think they are better then the educated, highly capable staff you have.

10. Veterans Administration

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time

Pros

Great Medical Benefits, High Job Security, Giving back to Veterans

Cons

Government Job, Politics, No real accountability, Funding issues, Poor morale, Too much time spent on ineffective metrics reporting

11. Would not recommend.

Current Employee - Financial Administrative Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Financial Administrative Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at US Department of Veterans Affairs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like any other government opportunity, comes great benefits and a ladder. VA is a non profit.

Cons

If something is too good to be true, it is. If you want to make money, gain OPM benefits, and climb the ladder through management otherwise internal job listings, this job is for you. Just know this, management has been very clear about throwing the VA standard out the window, also known as iCare. We are told not to follow the iCare principal, there are currently no standards in place, policies are unofficially changing every other week. From the many veterans I help everyday, I know I could go that much further to help each veteran by following the iCare principal, but then again, I have already had numerous marks on my track record for doing so, while still achieving above standard work ethic and performance. How does that even make sense?

Advice to Management

I believe in innovation. That being said, I also believe in intellectual choices. Stop changing policies in which they destroy veteran lives. Stop changing standards in which it destroys employee work ethic. Sit down with your fellow management, make a pie chart of the employees hired within a department year by year, what do you notice? How long does one stay within an internal position? What could possibly scare the new hires and veterans away?

RSS Feed </> Embed