US Department of the Interior Reviews

3.3
Sally Jewell

1. Oil and Gas Audit

I have been working at US Department of the Interior

Pros

Flexible work hours and job stability

Cons

Salaries based on yearly promotions or seniority.

Develop a management training program for supervisor

2. I generally liked working at OSM because of the individual people who work there but I felt that management was poor.

Former Employee - Geographer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Geographer in Denver, CO

I worked at US Department of the Interior

Pros

I think this is a great place to work for a work-life balance. However, the compensation was not well enough for me to make significant savings or dispensable income.

Cons

The challenges of working here was the leadership of management.

My words of advice for management is to consider the career progress of other employees. Engage employees and ask if a project is worth the effort. Communicate with other managers and make sure that an employee is not stretched too thin between divisions.

3. Technical knowledge of upper management conflicted with Project Planning in areas of Communications Security

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Clackamas, OR

I worked at US Department of the Interior

Pros

Requirements Management and Mission Objectives can be balanced via options that address schedule and budget upfront. Establish the framework and build synergy with expectation to meet and exceed milestones. Credit the Team and watch the Team grow to meet higher levels of Mission Objective successes.

Cons

In all technical fields, training levels are of highest critical priority. Common experiences and training of team members allows confidence and promotes building onto past lessons learned while reducing time need for implementation.

Management should allow comment that is presented appropriately early in the planning stages. All input has a place or value to the Team when intimidation is resolved through ownership of Teamwork in Project Milestones. This is needed while detailing the Project Plan.

5. Everyone wants to be a ranger. Here is the reality.

Current Employee - Interpretive Park Ranger in Santa Fe, NM
    Current Employee - Interpretive Park Ranger in Santa Fe, NM

I have been working at US Department of the Interior full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful chance to learn about America's most amazing locations. Wide-ranging experience at a small park--everything from interpretation to fees to digital media to science-based training in areas such as climate change analysis and invasive plant management. Unique energy at certain parks, ability to learn a lot if you're open to that.

Cons

One of the most dysfunctional management hierarchies I've ever experienced, and I've been in the workplace for a couple of decades. Government workers get entrenched and NPS employees are absolutely no different; in fact, it may be worse here because the general perception of the agency remains good despite the realities. NPS needs to begin tapping in to what really goes on, and what actually needs to go on, in the workplace.

Encourage retirement for the hoary top-level folks who haven't worked anywhere else their entire careers. Throw open the doors to newer perspectives: for example, don't make it so very difficult for seasonals, who start out full of life and hope, to become permanent employees.

Stuck.

I have been working at US Department of the Interior

Pros

Job security. Believe in agency missions.

Cons

BUREAUCRACY. Change is too slow. Ideas for Innovation are received negatively.

7. Good employer with national relocation opportunities

I have been working at US Department of the Interior

Pros

Good salary, health benefits, flexi-time

Cons

Difficult working within a bureaucracy

8. BOEMRE (formerly known as "MMS") office was a joke

I worked at US Department of the Interior full-time

Pros

For me, it was proximity to my home (short commute)

Cons

Typical waste of space and taxpayer money. MMS changed its acronym to "BOEMRE" after the BP oil spill in the Gulf. I worked on a grant program that was supposed to send funds to the gulf states that needed the money. Unfortunately, there were incompetent contracting officers acting as the grant program managers. Took forever to do the simplest process. Mired in bureaucracy and micro-management. Congress approved the funds but the BOEMRE nincompoops were incapable of getting the money out the door. Everything bad you've ever heard or thought about federal government employees is manifested ten-fold at BOEMRE. If you are a fed, this would be a great place to punch the clock for easy money --most of them did just that. A joke.

Retire or go on detail to another agency.

9. Government Jobs

Current Contractor - Maintenance in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - Maintenance in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Department of the Interior as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great daily shift, consistently out on time, constant training.

Cons

Seems like some of the other workers just have no sense of urgency, including managers.

Set the same standards for new and old employees, if you push to get some extra work out of your people you just might be surprised. Sometimes being in a management position for a long period of time makes you lose your sense of urgency, take the time to reevaluate even your own performance.

10. Wonderful opportunity to see how a bureau in DC functions as a branch of the US government.

Current Intern - Research in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Research in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Department of the Interior as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Depending on your employer, you get a lot of practical research experience with your area of focus. In my case, i was able to learn grass roots organization research and develop a program from the field up to DC.

Cons

A lot of the work involves people hundreds of miles a mile, and while I did get to go on a site visit. It's hard being cooped up in the office and deal directly with concerns in the field.

Keep the specific offices staff fairly small so that there is a tight knit job environment. This allowed everyone in the office an opportunity to see their full potential in a variety of settings.

Department of the InFerior!!

Former Employee - Program Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at US Department of the Interior full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits were good as with all government agencies. They had a little workout facility on-site which was nice. Quite frankly, that's the only perk I miss. I miss most of my co-workers, but not all - the people are nice and most work hard, but some just get by.

Cons

Leadership claims to care about what employees think. They sent out employee surveys and employees complete them. Then leadership does what they want anyway. For me, there was no opportunity to work from home, but two of my co-works could. Why is that acceptable? Morale was going downhill for many years before I left and from what I've heard, it's even worse.

You need to give opportunities to current employees for career growth. It's very frustrating and disheartening to not get promoted, yet the NBC Director or Assistant Director(s) hire a buddy from their previous agency/employer at a GS-14 salary to do absolutely nothing.

US Department of the Interior Photos