US Department of the Interior

www.interior.gov

US Department of the Interior Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Shane Wolfe

Wonderful opportunity to see how a bureau in DC functions as a branch of the US government.

Research (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDepending on your employer, you get a lot of practical research experience with your area of focus. In my case, i was able to learn grass roots organization research and develop a program from the field up to DC.

ConsA lot of the work involves people hundreds of miles a mile, and while I did get to go on a site visit. It's hard being cooped up in the office and deal directly with concerns in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the specific offices staff fairly small so that there is a tight knit job environment. This allowed everyone in the office an opportunity to see their full potential in a variety of settings.

Department of the InFerior!!

Program Analyst (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe benefits were good as with all government agencies. They had a little workout facility on-site which was nice. Quite frankly, that's the only perk I miss. I miss most of my co-workers, but not all - the people are nice and most work hard, but some just get by.

ConsLeadership claims to care about what employees think. They sent out employee surveys and employees complete them. Then leadership does what they want anyway. For me, there was no opportunity to work from home, but two of my co-works could. Why is that acceptable? Morale was going downhill for many years before I left and from what I've heard, it's even worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to give opportunities to current employees for career growth. It's very frustrating and disheartening to not get promoted, yet the NBC Director or Assistant Director(s) hire a buddy from their previous agency/employer at a GS-14 salary to do absolutely nothing.

Presidential Management Fellow at USDOI

Program/Management Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsHonorable mission, dedicated employees, flexible work schedule, telework, excellent work-life balance, opportunity for advancement, nice office environment

ConsPoor management skills are widespread, job feedback is not to be expected, lack of concern for maintaining or recruiting a youthful workforce (majority of employees are 40+), bureaucratic challenges, technology-averse workforce

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on improving the management skills of managers, place greater emphasis on recruiting and retaining younger employees as DOI workforce approaches retirement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great internship experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsRare paid DC internship (though I'm not sure if that's still the case); the staff are very much invested in making it a positive experience; great exposure to substantive Federal Government work; whatever your issue areas of interest, this a good way to get a feel for the basic tasks and responsibilities that make policy work.

ConsFor all that Interior's work is important and valuable (National Parks, conservation, energy development, Alaska/the Arctic, American Indian issues, and more), many people you talk to outside the building won't have any idea what the Department does.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

DOI = "Drags On Indefinitely

ProsMission. Taking care of the nation's special and protected spaces; one in every 5 acres in the U.S. is a noble and exhilarating mission. Definite job satisfaction from making a difference.

ConsThe most frustrating thing about working in DOI is that decisions Drag On Indefinitely (the real meaning of the DOI acronym) and are made by a choice few budget and policy types in DC rather than the technical experts in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the folks outside the beltway.

A mixed bag all in all

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe mission is fabulous, a great opportunity to make a difference doing things for the nation that truly matter.

ConsOrganizational culture at the senior levels in DC is broken beyond repair. Extremely little coordination at senior career and political ranks across Bureau / DOI lines -- ongoing competition, bickering and backstabbing impede what could be great collaborative work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire career SES leadership work on collaborative projects that involve multiple bureaus / offices.

Best first job with great people to compliment the experience.

Office Automation Clerk (Former Employee) Lakewood, CO

ProsSmall office environment in HR and Personnel Security where employees are very close to each other

ConsNo real cons. May be stuck in the same position as an intern. - Find yourself promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to assist students more when interested in transferring to another location, if possible or providing way back into federal government before graduation

Pace of work is slow, as it is the federal government.

Program Analyst (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsWork is interesting and people are generally nice to work with.

ConsGood managers are few and far between. An inability of managers to delegate can lead to employee underutilization.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize high-performers and keep them busy, stimulated, and appreciated.

Protecting America's Treasures!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIntelligent, competent employees with a good sense of mission and where they fit.

Decent salary.

Some very experienced upper management professionals.

Good work life balance.

ConsLike most government agencies, filled with unnecessary and inefficient bureaucracy.

Some incompetent and/or lazy employees that find themselves a corner to burrow into for the long haul.

Upper management tends to be out of touch to the daily needs of mid level managers and employees.

In today's political climate, employees are seen more as an enemy than as a friend to the public.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore collaboration with employees. Management should be results driven rather than policy driven.

Don't Whistle Blow

Principal (Former Employee) Eagle Butte, SD

ProsIf you ever happen to become employed by the Department of Interior just do your job.

ConsDon't do the above or you will lose your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not look into a mirror, you work for the people.

Worked for US Department of the Interior? Contribute to the Community!