US Forest Service Reviews

CEO

Biological Technician, Fisheries

Former Employee - Biological Field Technician in Delta, CO
    Former Employee - Biological Field Technician in Delta, CO

I worked at US Forest Service as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and very friendly office dynamics, interesting work outside everyday, good benefits even as a seasonal worker, good work-life balance. Mentoring from supervisors was great.

Cons

Bureaucracy of the federal government makes it hard to get a job full-time. This makes it a tough job to stick with in the long-term because you have to find other employment 6 months out of the year. It'd be much better if more year round positions were available, but that's out of the control of your immediate supervisors.

Loved the job, not the red tape

Former Employee - Marketing/Communications in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing/Communications in Washington, DC

I worked at US Forest Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They are very organized and provide lots of training. My supervisor was very nice, understanding, and helpful. It was a very friendly and open workplace culture.

Cons

I loved my time there, its just annoying to have to base my salary on the decisions of Congress.

Awesome people and experience.

I worked at US Forest Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to meet a lot of very interesting people and learn a great deal about the wilderness. Additionally, everyone I worked with was very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Work is not challenging and when slow the day can drag on. Another downfall was having to deal with tour buses carrying unruly passengers.

Inefficient

I have been working at US Forest Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to spent a lot of time in the woods, "protecting" the forests.

Cons

The culture of USFS seems to be an hour of leisure for every hour of work. I have worked both in fire and natural resources, and both times, spent too much time sitting in the woods trying not to finish our job too fast. Not by my choice.

Management is generally doing the best they can as a government organization.

It was a wonderful experience in which i help customers daily resolve issues and problems related to their operating sys

Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Sandy, UT

I have been working at US Forest Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The through training. Positive feedback. Hours of operation. Potential for overtime. The opportunity for advancement within the company was very appealing.

Cons

None really. I mean your just have to make sure that you are on time. Sometimes you might be on a call at the end of your shift and that call may go an hour over.

Loved the people I worked with but impossible to get a permanent position.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA

I worked at US Forest Service as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Once you are permanent there are plenty of opportunities to advance and learn new skills. Good benefits. Co workers are typically awesome

Cons

Getting a permanent position is a joke even for veterans. They advertise that they hire vets but it doesn't actually happen. Politics are really bad, therefore unqualified people are placed in positions instead of hiring well qualified people from outside the agency.

Look at all applicants.

Agency Bogged Down by Politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bishop, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bishop, CA

I worked at US Forest Service full-time

Pros

You can occasionally get outside!

Cons

Dated processes that are always changing, making administrative tasks take forever!

Listen to your people on the front lines

Great opportunity. Exposure to large projects.

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at US Forest Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Central project role ion all phases,

Cons

Remote location and extreme weather

Offer advice to improve advancement chances.

"Forestry Technician/Aid"

Former Employee - Forestry Technician in Chester, CA
    Former Employee - Forestry Technician in Chester, CA

I worked at US Forest Service as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to be a part of a team and see a lot of cool places. This job is great for young people who aren't married. You go on fires for weeks and come back with a bank account full of money.

Cons

There are a lot of people in positions that they shouldn't be. Make sure you find a good captain who is knowledgable. Bad decisions can get you in life threatening situations. Also, it can be tough in the summer if you have a significant other at home.

Don't promote people by sending them off to a different district. Felt like there were a lot of people who had no idea what they are doing in high positions. Feels weird when a captain is asking questions the a first year employee would ask or when your bosses boss calls you an idiot for going to college.

Not the professional organization I thought it was.

Former Employee - Recreation Technician
    Former Employee - Recreation Technician

I worked at US Forest Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got tot work in some of the most beautiful countryside imaginable.

Cons

Very Veteran unfriendly despite what the official publications say. Your co-workers and supervisors generally (with exceptions) fall into two categories. petty bureaucrats, drunk with the power they hold of their minute slice of of the Federal pie. The second folks who started out with good intentions, but have had their will broken by the system but are caught up in it because they have a substantial amount of time in or it provides benefits.
     Very top down. You cant even write an letter on FS letterhead without a 3 week process of back and forth to the Supervisors office.
    Poor, poor, leadership They are just there for their paycheck. If you have problems its all self-service.
     I could go on but I'll stop.
    If you want to work for a Federal land management agency, try the NPS I've heard they are better. BLM is just as bad as is NWS. Better yet go with a State agency.

Put the Service back into the Forest. Let the Districts run themselves. Get rid of dead weight, which is most anybody above the grade of GS-9

US Forest Service Photos