US Geological Survey

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015
3.6

CEO

Pros
  • Work-life balance is encouraged, but definitely employee driven (in 6 reviews)

• Benefits are good pay is decent (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Strong political issues and red-tape makes getting work done difficult and confusing at times (in 3 reviews)

• Change in upper management has hurt the orginization (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Get to do amazing work!

I have been working at US Geological Survey

Pros

Work among some of the best scientists in the US, Interesting body of work, well respected organization, relatively high pay for science field

Cons

Lots of red tape to cut through working for Feds

Keep listening to employees and stay flexible

Hydrologic Technician (Student)

I have been working at US Geological Survey (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great research and community.

Cons

Not a very secure position.

student intern, hydrology

I worked at US Geological Survey as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the combination of going out in the field and working in the office. The hands-on training from experienced people was great. The physical office environment was the best I have worked in - clean air, open feeling. I liked the interaction of all the different people in the office. The people were great.
    Another great thing about the job was the flexible work hours - 4 ten-hour days or 5 eight-hour days, and the eight-hour days could start as early as 7:00 to get off by 3:30 (half hour for lunch).

Cons

While the training from the experienced employees was great, after the first few months, I was paired more with another student intern who was only somewhat more experienced than I. I felt we both would have learned more if we had each been sent out in the field with an experienced employee.
    I was held back in the office/computer portion of the job - seemingly only because of the time on the job - I had more education and computer aptitude than another intern who was being introduced to the computer analysis software, but since I had been there a shorter time, I was not allowed to start learning it, even though I asked.
    Office politics were a little strange, but it was my first time in such a large office with different teams, so this might be expected.

Great work environment, colleagues and benefits. Management and admin tend to be a disaster.

Current Employee - Physical Science Technician
    Current Employee - Physical Science Technician

I have been working at US Geological Survey full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, usually laid back, flexible work schedule, flexible work attire, fantastic benefits and colleagues tend to be great, like-minded people.

Cons

Constant change, management and administration are usually out of touch with the research staff, for some the travel schedule starts to wear an employee down.

Great work, terrible management and salary

Former Employee - USGS Research Scientist in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - USGS Research Scientist in Laurel, MD

I worked at US Geological Survey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with a lot of great established scientists. Freedom to set your own science direction.

Cons

Poor support from management and slow advancement which is not based on performance but red tape. Required to obtain funding from outside USGS for most projects which can take up a lot of your time.

Pay for performance and experience, not time in pay levels. Balance using post-docs and permanent employees.

Good student job

I worked at US Geological Survey part-time

Pros

Outside projects, freedom, vacation pay, awards

Cons

CUBICLES, monotony, benefits, co-workers, longevity

Great work environment.

I have been working at US Geological Survey

Pros

Always something new and different to work on. Relaxed work environment and flexible schedule. Easy going people and projects to work on.

Cons

It's government work so you sometimes feel lost in all the bureaucracy that entails. And sometimes your position is at the whim of congress.

Any advice to upper management would be lost on deaf ears.

Great experience as an undergraduate.

I worked at US Geological Survey

Pros

Lots of different interesting projects that involve many skill sets.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot of down time in the office that can become mundane and boring.

Communication needs major improvement.

Incompetence at it's best

Current Employee - Contract Specialist
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist

I have been working at US Geological Survey full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. The Science the USGS is involved in is amazing!

Cons

No growth and major stagnacy in your career. Stay away! Complacent mindset, vintage contract thinking, micro-managed employees, inefficency and, poor use of highly capable contract specialists. Horrible place to work! No opportunities for required training even if there free. If you are progressive looking to learn and advance into available opportunities, those opportunities will be non-existent. They will ensure your career is not supported with a gang-like mentality from management and will implement and change guidance if they don't choose to agree with you while labeling you as a trouble-maker. They operate in a pack. Decisions are personal as opposed to professional. If you're not part of the life long work relationships/friendships, you're treated like an outcast and attacked at every turn. Worklife balance (telework) is only afforded if you're liked, if not, you can forget it. There is no Management! No one manages. Huge turn-overs. This is not bureacuracy, this in inadequacy, and incompentency at it's fineness. The Leader of the Free World should visit! If he goes to HR they won't know where to direct him. As a public servant, we should always be focused on the mission, not the personalities.

Department of Interior Headquarters should address the issues as this can not be resolved at the agency level. There all friends!!!

Ok

I have been working at US Geological Survey

Pros

Love the work and the people

Cons

There's little to no movement up

US Geological Survey Photos

U.S. Geological Survey Benchmark, 1904 (Photo thanks to Flickr user Civillian Scrabble, available under by v2.0)
It is a kinda neat looking building. better than most SV bland offices
STREAM GAGING STATION Operated by US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY (Photo thanks to Flickr user Night Owl City, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)

+ Add Photo