US Health Advisors

Be The First To
Add Photos

Troy McQuagge

Great Company

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

ProsCompletely your schedule.
The best health coverage in the industry hands down.
Best prices
Exempt from obamacare!

ConsYour success is completely up to you in lead generation and sales

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great company!

Great environment and commission schedule, But you've got to be a Go Getter!

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at US Health Advisors full-time for more than a year

ProsGood training, great management, and a fantastic commission scale..(Best in the Industry)
Unique products

ConsNo base pay, and some limitation with wellness products.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd even a small base pay incentive to keep good people on and try to increase benefits for wellness products

Deceptive hiring practices, No leads as promised, extremely high agent turn over rate. Low ethical practices.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at US Health Advisors full-time for less than a year

ProsAdvanced commissions, initial training is good. First 2-3 weeks, then it's the same exact thing over and over.

ConsI'm not a rouge agent that's mad for being let go. I was not let go from this company as a matter of fact. I have been in the business for a long time and have been very successful. I was recruited for almost 2 years by this company so I finally said "hey I should give this a chance because they are breaking records every week and they provide great leads" I haven't been with them for a few months but feel you should understand what you're getting into so you are prepared.

I will probably get a very well written response for this, saying I didn't do what I should have or it wasn't a right fit......something along those lines because they are very slick at these things. I'm not saying that you can't make some good money here because you can. You just have a very very small chance at doing so, which has a lot to do with management.

1. They are masters of BS and had me for awhile. I couldn't believe how good they were at acting like they are the most amazing company in the world with the most amazing opportunities with agents making a killing. These are the companies to stay away from though. You will pay for everything, even business cards and brochures. I was shocked about this because it's a captive agency. Don't let the commission rate fool you though because in order to make the commissions they talk about you have to add supplemental products on the plan which makes it very expensive. You always feel like your job is in jeopardy.

Deceptive hiring techniques are used by assuring agents they will get a steady flow of leads. I wouldn't expect top notch leads of course however this is what they are doing for leads.

YOU are forced to pay $85 per month to use a dialer that is filled with an old data base of numbers that anyone can get for free. Pull out a phone book in your area or state and it's the exact same thing. You are required to make hundreds of calls per day to disconnected, busy, and wrong numbers. Essentialy you are paying for fake leads. You are required to rate each lead wether it's the wrong number, not interested, and leave notes on the leads. What they are doing is USING you as a free call center person to weed out all the numbers in your state. Then managers come in and call these leads. I found this to be extremely unethical. If you ask for leads even after producing you are thrown under the bus very quickly. At one point management was asking agents to go buy a bunch of leads and load them into the dialer that they have access to. Man.....really guys?

2. This is a huge turn and burn boiler room style operation with less than honest selling techniques encouraged by management. One of many examples is: Telling customers you are a broker and you will search multiple companies and give them the best option. It gets worse than that but I don't have room to put it all.

3. I can't speak for all management but I can for a lot of them. Some are so arrogant they have quotes from themselves hanging all over their office, and talk more about themselves than helping the agent. When you ask for help you are quickly pawned off to other agents. They can't give a straight answer and everything is spun. They rarely do what they say they are going to do. Even after you produce. Very disrespectful and many agents learn to just keep their mouths shut and maybe that's what they want. They are less than honest on the sales calls about were the top agents are getting most of their business from.

4. Fake sales numbers on daily meetings. What they won't tell agents is that they use submitted sales, not accepted sales. A good handful of the top agents have less than a 50% acceptance rate and I have seen many at 30% do the math. It's hard to get to know anyone because agents come and go so quickly. There is a reason for this. I could give a lot of details on this company but I think you get the point here. They remind me of Mega Insurance and I'm pretty sure a lot of them came from Mega. Don't know who Mega is google them. Bottom line is if you are single with lots of cash in the bank with nothing but time you just might have a small chance at some short term bucks. If not then stay far away from this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust do what you say you are going to do and enough with the song and dance BS. You know what you are doing with the leads so I don't have to say anymore about that. If you want quality successful agents you must understand it takes time. Try giving them less commission for 3-6 months and a small salary weekly so they can really dig in.

It's been remarkable

Senior Agent (Current Employee)
Naples, FL

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere is no other Insurance company that will train you like this one will. They will give you some leads to get started. Once you begin to sell policies you will continue to receive your leads for free. The company now has numerous contests where an agent with drive can earn lot's of extra cash. High achievers can earn company sponsored trips. If you'd rather recruit agents vs being a sales person you can move to that area of the company as long as you've showed that you can sell. The computer training is terrific, you can even learn what to say to people by modifying the companies scripts. They won't let you fail if you'll put in the time and energy.

ConsYou must be willing to sell the product, no one buys health insurance, it's sold. You must be willing to use the telephone. Most all of the policies that are written started by a telephone conversation. There is no salary in the Health Insurance Industry. Therefore you are totally a 1099. Nothing is given, no health benefits, no discounts for agents, no money for the first few months. I would advise anyone who tries this to have at least a 6 month cushion of cash on hand to use until you get going on sales. For those of you that have tons of contacts, 3 months cash on hand would be fine. If you don't have any cash to invest, I'd stay away from this business. You have to like gambling on yourself. You have to love the art of sales. You have to have tremendous confidence in your abilities. There is no room for doubt. Those that can get out there and hussle can make more money than you have ever thought to imagine. The residual checks each month are so great you can't believe it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the weekly posting of the achievers. It's almost always the same one's and it's counter productive to the new agents.

It's been a leaning experience

Benifits Advisor (Current Employee)
Iowa City, IA

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time for more than a year

ProsFuture for our type of products looks very good

ConsTough market now. Not enough company leads

Advice to Senior Managementgive out more company leads especially now in a tough market

POOR MANAGEMENT, POOR PRODUCT

SALES PERSON (Former Employee)

I worked at US Health Advisors full-time for less than a year

ProsRapid advancement because the company lacks quality trainers and there is a complete absence of staff and qualified administration. Anyone with or without management experience in any field is sucked into the void if they are able to sell the products.

ConsThe great majority of the agents are newly-licensed. There are no long-term employees for a reason. Salesmen without any experience or ability to train are quickly promoted to trainers. The atmosphere is unprofessional, and with few exceptions, the "trainers" are unhelpful, unstable, and abusive. Despite the internal turmoil and the lack of training or support, exclusively through self-training and personal efforts, I successully sold the products, which I am now ashamed of due to the poor quality of coverage provided to the suckers who bought the so-called "insurance". Touting the indemnity and "better than any major-medical" products as "exempt" from federal regulations, no mention is made in their printed material of the penalty a policy-holder is subject to under the ACA's individual mandate if purchasing USHA's plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the products and marketing, and get rid of current "trainers". Invest in educated and qualified trainers and provide quality training to your sales force, not just rah-rah sessions.

Amazing company and opportunity

Licensed Agent (Current Employee)
DFW, TX

ProsUnlimited income
Paid weekly
Excellent leadership
Work from anywhere you want
No bosses

ConsThis is the type of job that the cons are only listed by the people who cannot work for themselves and are used to not actually having to work for a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management has it down. If you follow their directions on how to be successful it is very hard to NOT make money. They tell us that 1 in 13 agents actually make a career of this job. It's not easy, nothing in life is. But it sure is an eye opener to the type of people who are used to 9-5 jobs and rely on a salary, regardless of how much "work" they actually did that week. YES, you can earn well over 6 figures here at USHA. My first 3 weeks of being licensed I earned a little over $4,000 plus another $2,000 in bonuses for being a top producer. I am 26 years old and I have never worked in ANY type of insurance industry before. I was very skeptical and nervous at first but I did what I was told and actually worked 40+ hours per week and it has been paying off. They DO give you leads if you are showing them you're trying. If you show up to the office once a month and you're obviously not making an effort then don't expect anything in return. But sales is about more than calling the leads you're given. Networking, advertising, referral tactics, etc....this is how most people succeed....not waiting for a boss to hand you a lead. The people that I've seen so far whom haven't lasted are the typical complainers, lazy work ethic, expect their bosses to hand them everything, it's never their fault, etc....the best part about this job is that I work for myself and I make about $2k-$3k per week by HELPING other people. Our products cannot be beaten and neither can our agents. If YOU put in the effort then you can literally change your life in months or weeks....if you expect someone else to do the work for you then do not work for us because we don't put up with that negative attitude. I'm a 26 year old male with a college degree and I will probably earn about $125k this year doing a job that makes feel proud after I leave someone's home or office.

Employee

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat environment for people who want to be independent and control their income without punching a clock. I was told when I first began, that they stand for HOPE- Helping Other People Everyday. They stick to it and believe in it.

ConsNONE- Take responsibility for your own failures!
The people who complain are the ones that does not utilize the tools provided to them. It does get busy for managers but, the complainers do not show up to all the trainings or ask the right questions when the opportunity arises.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. In the Nashville office, it is like family and someone is always there to help. They have taught me that, if they don't help you become successful, they themselves won't be successful. They truly help others inside and out!

informative and learning

Senor Benefits Consultant (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time for more than a year

Prosthey are good people to work with and are willing to help their employees to understand so they can prosper.

Conssometimes they are too business like.They don't have the time for their employees to comprehend what they need to do.

Advice to Senior Managementstay with employees a little longer. They want results faster tnan most of them can perform.

Not exactly a scam, but be weary

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at US Health Advisors full-time

ProsOnce trained, you can work from home.
The work itself isn't hard.
It would make a great supplementary job for a little extra income.
Don't have to pay for leads.
It is a numbers game, and if you go through the motions, you will eventually make a sale.
If you're a savant at sales, then this would be great position, since there's technically no cap on earnings.
In general, there isn't pressure to make sales from management -- though I suspect it's because if you don't make any you'll just starve.
The insurance plans they offer are actually good plans.

ConsIt's entirely commission based.
As you get started, you'll need to have savings and/or credit cards (or a job already) for up to 3 months if you intend on doing it full time. If not full time, then make it clear to the hiring manager that you have to feed yourself, and won't risk (since they're in the business of risk) not potentially having an income for a week.
You will work your butt off with no guarantee that you'll have any income. And yes, there will be bad weeks where you make 0 dollars.
The sales training at the company sent up a red flag for me when the script went like "...we're a not for profit organization..." Of course we're for-profit. That's unethical, and frankly sleazy.
Very high turn-over rate. They were hiring new people every week I was there, it didn't inspire confidence.
You are technically an "independent contractor" meaning the company doesn't have to offer you a base pay or benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to new agents and tell them they'll make a sale within the first week. Only a minority of agents do that, and a lot of it has to do with networking and referrals (and selling to family members first -- which in NC is "controlled business" and can only legally make up 10% of business annually). Most importantly: STOP THIS "INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR" BS: PAY A BASE SALARY TO AGENTS, and just make them actual employees already. Even a meager $500/week would protect agents from financial disaster if they have a bad week. It would reduce turn-over drastically, and not force desperate agents to resort to sleaze-ball tactics to make sales. (Which could also get the agents, and the company in legal trouble if it keeps up). Even if this means reducing the percentage agents get in commissions -- it means in the long term you'll have competent, ethical people on sales. I'd urge management to think long-term profits and stop worrying over short term profits -- which I suspect is why they use "independent contractors" to begin with.

Worked for US Health Advisors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Health Advisors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Health Advisors CEO Troy McQuagge. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by US Health Advisors employees.