US Health Advisors

Troy McQuagge

A Dynamic Company, Built on the promise of Helping Other People Every Day

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Inclusive culture, where everyone is valued.
    Amazing company leadership.
    Work atmosphere that is centered on excellence.

Cons

The work is hard...but, nothing truly worthwhile is ever easy.
    Must be self-disciplined and bring an entrepreneurial spirit. If you are looking for someone to tell you what you should be doing every minute...this may not be the right opportunity for you.

Continue driving your message of Helping and Serving Others, Doing the Right Thing, and Striving for Excellence.

USHA is a Great Company. Great Products. Agent Training Only So-So.

Former Employee - Health Insurance Benefits Advisor (Agent) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Health Insurance Benefits Advisor (Agent) in Denver, CO

I worked at US Health Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Formal required training for state license was straightforward and not done by US Health but via third party - so no conflicts of interest. US Health covered a significant portion of the cost to take the training - great benefit when starting out as a new agent.
    * Excellent health plan options.
    * Creative approach to current health care mess.
    * Especially loved the very affordable options that can reduce out-of-pocket costs to near zero.
    * Great camaraderie in teams.
    * Excellent and very fair compensation for agents.
    * Additional options for company stock, if desired.
    * Great cash and travel incentives for top performers.
    * Great back-office support for current brochures, admin, etc.
    * Independent contractor status - straight commission (no "hourly grind." You get out of it what you put into it.)
    * Great agents - most of which are very successful - knowledgeable, experienced and professional in their demeanor and polished in presenting health plan options.

Cons

* I was referred to USHA by a friend. When I approached management they felt I would be a good fit and began a presentation designed for potential agents to see. What I did see looked good and I was excited to get started, so instead of finishing the presentation we moved right to the on-boarding process with instructions on how to get started with studying for the state licensing exam, etc. I don't know what was missed, but if I had it to do over again, I would insist on seeing the full presentation. (Lesson: Don't shortcut the new agent presentation and ask questions)
    * Sales quotas. No one to blame but myself, really, but I was unaware of having to meet a specific quota each month or I was out. If I was told about it, I don't remember ever hearing it. If it was in my sign-on agreement, I don't remember seeing it. If so, my bad. Buyer beware kind of thing, I guess. (Lesson: Read and remember the fine print)
    * Why are there any quotas at all when you are an independent contractor? Perhaps back-office overhead is more than I realized and even as an independent there may be costs to the sponsoring agency that you need to cover.
    * Independent contractor status - straight commission (no typical job security. You get out of it what you put into it.)
    * Brochures at no cost to agent, but almost all advertising and customer contact initiatives at agent cost. I guess that's normal when you are an independent contractor, but it adds up.
    * Training on plan options and how to present them: Materials were very good. How to properly present them was usually done as a group with minimal opportunity for individual attention to individual training needs.
    * Management was usually responsive to requests for assistance, but were NOT pro-active in seeking you out to see what assistance you might need and providing it. When asked, they tended to remind you of materials already given and to work harder on getting familiar with them. Minimal direct, personal assistance on developing technique and a professional, polished delivery.

BEEF UP AND PROFESSIONALIZE AGENT AND TRAINER TRAINING
    * Develop and implement a comprehensive, feedback-focused training plan for agents that uses all available media for recording and assessing agent progress in targeted areas. Insist on more direct trainer-trainee interaction until training goals are met.
    * Develop a similar approach to develop and implement a "train-the-trainer" training plan to ensure agents that are being groomed to become trainers and leaders have the tools necessary to properly mentor new and aspiring agents.
    * Develop and implement a certification process based on the training above by which agents must certify performance in each area before presenting to any client.
    * Part of certification process would require a certified trainer to accompany a new agent on at least three (3) presentations before being allowed to present alone. Each presentation must be audio/video recorded (where permissible by law). After each of the three initial presentations, the audio/video recording is played back and a detailed oral and written critique of all aspects is provided to new agent by the trainer.
    * Throw out quotas as a condition of partnership with the agency for independent agents, but define a performance requirement minimum for USHA to cover back-office expenses for each agent on the books.
    * Allow marginal performers the option of paying THEIR OWN expenses for back-office (overhead) costs if they dip below performance level required to cover said costs. Put it in the original partnership agreement.

Amazing Career for Anyone Who Wants to Work

Current Employee - Sales & Sales Management in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales & Sales Management in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get all the tools and training you need to be successful. The rest is up to you. If you can sell and you are more interested in helping other people instead of just chasing a paycheck, this is a great opportunity!

Cons

You have to be self-disciplined and willing to put in the work. It's not an easy job...but it is very rewarding for the right people.

Keep doing what you are doing. This is the best sales opportunity in America!

Good culture

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management team. Very good respect from Division Leader. Now got appointments and will visit my first 3 appointments in the next 2 weeks.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything bad to say.

N/A

The position and product turned out to be different from what I was informed when I joined the company.

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If your manager sees potential in you, he's willing to help you.

The sales meetings are energetic and get you pumped up
    Agents get a replicated website

Cons

I was told the company would give out leads. I never got any, I had to buy my own. They do not give you any marketing materials, this is like running your own business, you need to pay for everything. No benefits at all, not even a discount on the insurance plans. Very high pressure sales, need to work a lot of hours to see results, it is a numbers game. Need to get creative in getting your own leads, everybody is using the same lead suppliers or knocking on the same doors.
    The company is not well known hence it was a hurdle selling it. The product was difficult to explain over the phone, in the training they teach you "to book the appointment" either in person or virtual because the prospect had to see the presentation so he would understand what he was getting.
    Training is poor, it is done by the field managers, everyone has their own style. I was very confused with the different products. Another agent even mentioned that I would get more confused going to the training because of everyone's different styles of selling and presenting the products.

Training should be more organized and should be completed within a couple of weeks. Products should be explained back to back so that there is no gap in the information, this will make it easier to retain the information and getting the agent selling more effectively and quickly.

A very rewarding career if you are willing to do the necessary work to be successful.

Current Employee - Licensed Agent in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Licensed Agent in Reston, VA

I have been working at US Health Advisors as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

A great opportunity for anyone who is interested in starting a career in the insurance industry. US Health Advisors provides the best 1-on-1 training and support available,

Cons

There are no Cons. The success of each agent depends upon individual effort and perseverance. The grind of telemarketing is not for everyone.

The only advice I have to Management is to keep up the good work!! The culture of the company is exceptional, with everyone encouraging the progress of new agents and sharing the tried and tested methods which have yielded success for them.

They treat the new people right!

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Dallas, TX

I worked at US Health Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They give you incentives when you begin. They give you a reason to want to work for what they have.

Cons

They don't train you well enough, especially on the phones - at least not everybody.

Make sure everyone gets a chance to train with Jay's wife on the phones not any of the other women. They just aren't teachers. There should be a mandatory time with her.

Don't be suckered in!!

I worked at US Health Advisors

Pros

You do make decent commissions. In general it is a great company to work for.

Cons

They have a new region with people running it who have no training plan in place and have no clue what they are doing. Weekly meetings were all about how wonderful the manager is and constantly just talking about himself instead of actually learning something!. It was a waste of time. They promise you leads and never come through. They pay for absolutely not one expense and if you do not produce for a couple of weeks, they will ask you to leave. If you are not producing for a few weeks and putting money in the managers pockets, they will ask you to leave!

Set up some type of training program that is uniform to all. These managers had no clue on how to train. I think that it is disgusting that the field trainer would ask for half you commission because they went on an appointment with you. They get something from the sale anyway! You should properly train people you are putting in charge of these offices.

Oct 10, 2014Sr. Vice President

Thank you for your comments. Your insights will certainly help us continue to improve our training efforts on behalf of every USHA Agent. As an Independent Contractor, USHA Agents are responsible ... More

USHA is a great career builder company.

Current Employee - Licensed Agent in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Agent in Orlando, FL

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm skeptical about everything by nature!
    I had to give USHA the opportunity to prove to me that they could deliver their promise of cash flow income for me and my family.....and they have as promised!!!!
    I'm business college degree man, educated, with years of corporate banking and by far USHA has deliver it's promise to me.

I'm sorry to hear all the negative comments and I respect their opinion ,unfortunately if those "ex-agents" that tried this career at USHA failed then try to understand that this career demands a well groomed,educated, spoken,ethical,good learner,self motivated,enthusiastic,ethical,well spoken,zero negativity, and 100% goal oriented.

If anyone fails at USHA it's not because of the lack of training, leads ,products or management..... It's because that individual shouldn't ever been hired at all...I'm sorry not all can be rock stars!

Cons

Not enough advertisement and Market exposure....We need TV,Web and Radio ads
    Great product and low marketing.....

USHA group needs more media marketing and TV,radio exposure.... Then we would rock the entire industry.

Great products.. No marketing!!!!
    Come on management,Show the nation our great products on all media venues.

Oct 10, 2014Sr. Vice President

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well in your career with USHA. I appreciate your comments about needing more marketing and advertising. We are continuously developing ... More

It is very good learning curve in the insurance business. It is rewarding and educating ..

Current Employee - Senior Agent in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Agent in Denver, CO

I have been working at US Health Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We have some of the best upper=level people in the industry that make it fun to go to work and you are paid according to what you do. We have little contest to see who can do the best.

Cons

You have to deal with pressure to make sure you are doing good enough. The drop outs are some times hard but rewarding because you know they are covered at work now.

Keep up the great work you do and keep us ahead of the rest.

Oct 10, 2014Sr. Vice President

Thank you for your comments. I am glad to see you are enjoying success with USHEALTH Advisors.