US Immigration and Customs Enforcement Reviews

Luke McCormack

Government Work

Current Employee - Financial/Budget Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial/Budget Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Steady paychecks and pretty decent job security are probably the biggest draws to government work, but there are also the things many people do not consider. Things like job satisfaction and the ability to change policy--sometimes federal policy that affects the nation! Many work-life benefits are available for employees, such as alternative work schedules, flexitime and telework options.

Cons

Sometimes you run across that stereotypical government worker that everyone has heard about and have to wait patiently to get to a better position/office/agency.

Not sure what the title to this box means exactly, but federal government offers education, training and mentoring programs to move personnel interested in public administration and management up the chain to appointed positions. Management should spend more time nurturing their employees and encouraging their advancement. Having your subordinates and peers around you promoting under your encouragement can only lead to positive results for you and your agency.

Senior Manager

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Significant opportunities, fast paced and forward thinking, protecting public and US

Cons

Serious budget issues, limited policy, political interference

White Collar Factory

Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Pros

Good overall salary for the work performed.

Cons

Low morale. Voted by federal employees to be the worst federal employer two years in a row. No promotion ladder. None of this matters because there is a hiring freeze for the foreseeable future.

Establish standards and train your employees as to what those standards are. Trust them to do their jobs instead of creating a production quota. Perhaps get the Senior Executive level leadership to recognize these employees for the work they do as they are the most neglected and unrecognized employees of the agency. Without these analysts, the agents and officers would be doing this work by themselves. Have a new employee orientation beyond that of what the Department of Homeland Security gives new employees and make sure they know pertinent policies before going to work. Hire supervisors with actual management experience rather than analysts without any leadership or management experience. Rather than swimming against the tide as it pertains to telework, embrace the fact that this job has that flexibility and utilize it. Less micromanagement and more efficient management. End the needless meetings where nothing productive happens.

5. Informative, opportunity, great team environment, competitive

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Pros

Important Mission with passion and reform

Cons

ability to enforce laws based on current legislation

merit, leadership roles

Compassionless Agency

Former Employee - Special Agent in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Special Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly relaxed atmosphere in my office. Decent pay.

Cons

A career is a long time. Something bad, will eventually happen to every living person. These things are true. If you choose to work for ICE realize this isn't like a State or Local agency, if you get hurt (even on duty) they will do their best to hang you out to dry, unless you are one of the "select few" who is related to someone or "in" somehow. You are a tool to them not a person. In this way its almost like working for an intelligence agency.

Bad things happen to all of us. Don't make things harder for people.

Incompetence and

Former Employee - Special Agent
    Former Employee - Special Agent

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. The journeyman and rank & file employees are some of the best anywhere.

Cons

The management SUCKS!! They make life much much more difficult for the dedicated men and women doing their jobs honorably and courageously than it has to be with their absurd demands and policies. Priorities are upside down. They consistency rank at the bottom of job satisfaction within the federal government... For a reason!!!

Resign.

8. Good experience, needs management change

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Pros

Experience for your resume, good wage for ppl in school or just graduating

Cons

Management treats staff like they're the detainees, only get a 30 minute break which ends up being more like 15 minutes by the time you get out the building and back inside to clock in and out

Improve treatment to staff

Great Mission Terrible Management

Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unique mission - very interesting work to be done. Some exceptional talent is present within the agency.

Cons

Zero accountability, terrible management- particularly in the Office of Policy. The problem is endemic and all efforts to improve things within the agency have been superficial. The agency is bleeding its talented junior level staff and this has everything to do with first line supervisors and up.

You have to root out poor accountability, particularly from mid level to SES level of management. Reviews go top down, never bottom up. Provide a real 360 review process where junior level staff can review their supervisors and Directors. This will keep folks accountable at all levels.

Bad Leadership, Good Ol' Boys Club, and The Marionettes

Former Employee - Mission Support in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Mission Support in Washington, DC

Pros

- Providing Mission Support to Law Enforcement Officers (LEO)/Agents (LEA)/Deportation Officers (DO) in the field was very fulfilling. I often feel bad that they (the field) are risking themselves to enforce our laws, whether our immigration system is "right or wrong," when their HQ Leadership is more interested in their own political agendas and climbing the ladder. I am not a LEO, but it was awesome supporting the LEOs.
     - Work/Life balance is "ok" at ICE. But there are better ways to get this, like, working for a different Federal Agency. USCIS, IRS, Education, Defense, etc.

Cons

- Leadership is incompetent and owned by a specific contractor (the one Snowden worked for). For example, higher level Federal Employees will be in cubes, yet, you'll find these contractors occupying offices typically reserved for senior officials. Also, you'll find these contractors coming out of the woodwork and entering Federal employment, occupying high-level positions when there are much more qualified internal Federal employees (no, I was not one of the internals that wasn't picked for promotions due to an incoming contractor, but witnessed this on a couple of occasions).
    - As the survey says, this is one of the worst places to work in Federal Government. I do believe that it is "the worst." We'll see what happens with the 2014 survey.
    - If you are a LEA and haven't received your appropriate compensation yet, I'm sorry for that as well. You're in my thoughts and I hope that eventually they can downsize useless overpaid management and the extended BAH contract to get you appropriate compensation.
    - After being with other Federal Agencies prior, I've never seen anything like it. Do not work for ICE.

- Do what's right for the organization and the tax payer. If a contractor or anyone else has dirt on you, blow the whistle through the appropriate channel(s).
    - To the Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, formerly known as the Director, overhaul your senior leadership and start over. Give these new leaders the ability to remove ineffective leaders under them (such as Assistant Directors, Branch/Unit Chiefs, etc).

11. I believe in the mission of the agency, but not the managers.

Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Like all Fed jobs, excellent benefits. Some offices within ICE offer flex schedules and telework, but this isn't available for supervisors.

Cons

I am a supervisor working in the Office of Financial Management. Low morale, little accountability, managers don't support or listen to first line supervisors. The Federal Viewpoint Survey speaks for itself...ICE is consistently at the bottom for a reason.

Do something different!! The survey results haven't changed, so unless you are willing to change you will continue losing your best people to other agencies.