US Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014
2.6

Luke McCormack

Good experience, needs management change

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Pros

Experience for your resume, good wage for ppl in school or just graduating

Cons

Management treats staff like they're the detainees, only get a 30 minute break which ends up being more like 15 minutes by the time you get out the building and back inside to clock in and out

Improve treatment to staff

Great Mission Terrible Management

Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Policy Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unique mission - very interesting work to be done. Some exceptional talent is present within the agency.

Cons

Zero accountability, terrible management- particularly in the Office of Policy. The problem is endemic and all efforts to improve things within the agency have been superficial. The agency is bleeding its talented junior level staff and this has everything to do with first line supervisors and up.

You have to root out poor accountability, particularly from mid level to SES level of management. Reviews go top down, never bottom up. Provide a real 360 review process where junior level staff can review their supervisors and Directors. This will keep folks accountable at all levels.

Bad Leadership, Good Ol' Boys Club, and The Marionettes

Former Employee - Mission Support in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Mission Support in Washington, DC

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Providing Mission Support to Law Enforcement Officers (LEO)/Agents (LEA)/Deportation Officers (DO) in the field was very fulfilling. I often feel bad that they (the field) are risking themselves to enforce our laws, whether our immigration system is "right or wrong," when their HQ Leadership is more interested in their own political agendas and climbing the ladder. I am not a LEO, but it was awesome supporting the LEOs.
     - Work/Life balance is "ok" at ICE. But there are better ways to get this, like, working for a different Federal Agency. USCIS, IRS, Education, Defense, etc.

Cons

- Leadership is incompetent and owned by a specific contractor (the one Snowden worked for). For example, higher level Federal Employees will be in cubes, yet, you'll find these contractors occupying offices typically reserved for senior officials. Also, you'll find these contractors coming out of the woodwork and entering Federal employment, occupying high-level positions when there are much more qualified internal Federal employees (no, I was not one of the internals that wasn't picked for promotions due to an incoming contractor, but witnessed this on a couple of occasions).
    - As the survey says, this is one of the worst places to work in Federal Government. I do believe that it is "the worst." We'll see what happens with the 2014 survey.
    - If you are a LEA and haven't received your appropriate compensation yet, I'm sorry for that as well. You're in my thoughts and I hope that eventually they can downsize useless overpaid management and the extended BAH contract to get you appropriate compensation.
    - After being with other Federal Agencies prior, I've never seen anything like it. Do not work for ICE.

- Do what's right for the organization and the tax payer. If a contractor or anyone else has dirt on you, blow the whistle through the appropriate channel(s).
    - To the Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, formerly known as the Director, overhaul your senior leadership and start over. Give these new leaders the ability to remove ineffective leaders under them (such as Assistant Directors, Branch/Unit Chiefs, etc).

Special Agent and Intelligence Analyst for over 3 years.

Former Employee - Special Agent, Intelligence Analyst in Brownsville, TX
    Former Employee - Special Agent, Intelligence Analyst in Brownsville, TX

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some parts of the job are really fun and some case work is good in the sense that your really getting bad people off the streets. And the pay for some of the jobs is very good.

Cons

Most management is horrible. Like really, really horrible, I don't understand why they treat their people so badly because you get back what you put in and if you show your workforce that you don't value your people it tends to cause people to have a negative view of the agency internally.

It's more than this agency it's the much of the federal government overall. But management views themselves like they are the "American Aristocracy" and that it should be their blessing that you are even "allowed" to work for the federal government. Fact is, many people join agencies like this because they believe in the goals of upholding the law and protecting the USA. Then they end up staying because of the paycheck because they detest how things are run internally. That's how it is with many federal jobs especially law enforcement and intelligence work. Combine crappy management with many unethical and immoral activities the government is involved in and you have employees merely motivated by their paychecks. Then when you have managers constantly holding their livelihoods over their employees heads. Well... some people are happy there. But to most it's just a paycheck. Treat your people with more dignity and respect and you'll have a better workforce and happier employees.

I believe in the mission of the agency, but not the managers.

Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Like all Fed jobs, excellent benefits. Some offices within ICE offer flex schedules and telework, but this isn't available for supervisors.

Cons

I am a supervisor working in the Office of Financial Management. Low morale, little accountability, managers don't support or listen to first line supervisors. The Federal Viewpoint Survey speaks for itself...ICE is consistently at the bottom for a reason.

Do something different!! The survey results haven't changed, so unless you are willing to change you will continue losing your best people to other agencies.

Just okay

Current Employee - Intelligence Research Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intelligence Research Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Variety of investigative work, good people, offices in many locations, strong pay and benefits

Cons

Agents are favored and analysts tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to promotions, TDY opportunites, and reassignment policies (there aren't any analyst-specific policies regarding transfers). Most analysts are supervised by an agent, and that causes a conflict of professional interests as well. There are no training representatives so I have missed out on several training opportunities because my management did not disseminate the info. The Human Resources department is often unknowledgable and incompetent. The pay is good, although not as good as other agencies, and morale is fairly low across the board. It's difficult for an analyst to get promoted to GS-14 or 15

See above

Started career at ICE

Former Employee - Accounting Tech in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Accounting Tech in Burlington, VT

Pros

Competent colleges, benefits, stability, flexible-ish work schedule, job security, dependable raises, pretty much the standard federal job benefits.

Cons

Lower salary than private sector, turnover, threat of government shutdowns.

Do remunerate

Organization is ok

I have been working at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Pros

Good pay and works with school schedule

Cons

Too much politics and some employees get away with way too much

Law Enforcement Agent

Former Employee - Immigration Enforcement Agent in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Immigration Enforcement Agent in El Paso, TX

I worked at US Immigration and Customs Enforcement full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work in Detention Enforcement, travel to 57 Countries, work with different Consulates, detained arrested illegals in this country ,work with jails around the country.

Cons

For the last 28 years I worked 24/7 and I am looking for days if possible Its ben hard on family life. Also they have mandatory retirement which its hard on the family and my self.

I worked with management , acted as shift supervisor when needed.

Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

standard government benefits but nothing fantastic

Cons

poor leadership, decisionmaking, communication, unfair treatment, poor morale

fairness, equity, a nd competence is needed