US Indian Health Service
www.ihs.gov Rockville, MD 5000+ Employees

US Indian Health Service Reviews in Bemidji, MN

1 Employee Review Back to all reviews

Intern - Great experience

Environmental Engineer (Former Employee)
    Bemidji, MN

ProsI worked as an engineering intern with IHS
    Great camaraderie with others in the office. Wonderful environment
    Great pay/benefits, especially for a summer internship
    They really give you tons of project experience, rather than pigeon-holing you filling out forms or only doing one aspect of a project, as I've heard is the case with many private firms
    Get to really broaden your cultural perspective. If you live near the reservation, you'll hear about Native-related events all the time, and they're all really fun
    Even as an intern, I was salaried and pretty much allowed to work when i wanted, take lunch whenever and for as long as I wanted, as long as I put in at least 40 hours of work each week.

ConsHuman Resources is spectacularly awful; in the Area Office and especially in Washington DC. You'll have to deal with at least 4 different people when trying to get one job, and even though they all may work just a few feet away from each other, it seems like not one of them knows what the other is doing. I had to fill out 3-4 copies of every form, send out official transcripts (via Express Mail) multiple times, just because Person A was totally unwilling to walk down the hall and show them to Person B (and I was never reimbursed for this).

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline your human resources department, but it's probably impossible, because this is the federal government we're talking about.

Worked for US Indian Health Service? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Indian Health Service reviews and ratings in Bemidji, MN. All reviews posted anonymously by US Indian Health Service employees.