US Indian Health Service

US Indian Health Service Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Intern - Great experience

Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) Bemidji, MN

ProsI worked as an engineering intern with IHS
    Great camaraderie with others in the office. Wonderful environment
    Great pay/benefits, especially for a summer internship
    They really give you tons of project experience, rather than pigeon-holing you filling out forms or only doing one aspect of a project, as I've heard is the case with many private firms
    Get to really broaden your cultural perspective. If you live near the reservation, you'll hear about Native-related events all the time, and they're all really fun
    Even as an intern, I was salaried and pretty much allowed to work when i wanted, take lunch whenever and for as long as I wanted, as long as I put in at least 40 hours of work each week.

ConsHuman Resources is spectacularly awful; in the Area Office and especially in Washington DC. You'll have to deal with at least 4 different people when trying to get one job, and even though they all may work just a few feet away from each other, it seems like not one of them knows what the other is doing. I had to fill out 3-4 copies of every form, send out official transcripts (via Express Mail) multiple times, just because Person A was totally unwilling to walk down the hall and show them to Person B (and I was never reimbursed for this).

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline your human resources department, but it's probably impossible, because this is the federal government we're talking about.

The very worst professional experience I have ever endured.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe clinic was new and clean.

ConsDisorganization, ridiculous, bizarre politics and communication, hypocrisy, and then they tried to pay me for fewer hours than I worked even though they had already signed my time sheet. If you are offered a position, run. Living conditions I was allotted were disgusting. And don't believe their propaganda machine about what a great place it is to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't know where to start.

Career suicide

Physician (Former Employee) Sells, AZ

ProsPleasant, interesting patient population. Fast hiring process, terrific benefits associated with Federal government.

ConsCEO and most Clinic Directors have no medical training and are completely incompetent. Physicians and Nurse Practitioners often have to room and work up their own patients, while the Nurse Supervisors are off gossiping, surfing the internet or hiding somewhere. Poor treatment of qualified nursing staff, leading to high turnover and critical shortages. That leaves you overworked, with little support or admin staff. Worse, consult and referrals requests are ignored. When a patient goes down the tubes because your referral was ignored, it is your license and reputation on the line. Absolute preference is given to Native Applicants, even if they are only 1/16 or less Native American, thus you end up with Supervisors and Medical Staff who would be unqualified for even an entry level job at a non IHS facility. Terrible moral. Cost of living very high on the Rez. Isolated duty, but no isolated duty pay for non Corp staff. Difficult to get leave approved.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the big picture. It takes team work to care for patients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great clinical experience / terrible working conditions.

Physician (Former Employee) Gallup, NM

ProsFast hiring process, good benefits. Great clinical experience. Consider it a well paid Residency, then get out.

ConsStrong bias against non natives. The staff gets a big kick out of seeing non native professional staff fired for bogus violations based on rumor. Providers dumped at remote clinics with no orientation , EHR training or even EHR access. Rude, disrespectful, lazy support staff who can't be bothered to work up a patient or put an urgent referral through. No support from management. Career management are to busy covering their own incompetent asses to get anything done. IHS pours billions of dollars down the drain over treating and medicating non compliant patients, instead of addressing the real problem: uncontrolled diabetes , alcoholism and obesity .

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself. Oh, that is right...you can't because chances are you are an incompetent, lazy bootlicker who could not get another job.

Professional Licensed Staff (Native American)

Professional Licensed Staff (Current Employee)

ProsPrimary health care provider for a vulnerable, at-risk population. Clients are the best part of this work. Benefits are excellent since they are federal.

ConsPublic Health Service manages direct care staff in IHS clinics. Public Heath Service have Caucasian managers and a Caucasian CEO at my former work site. This meant that Native Americans professionals did not have the capacity to be promoted to management since these positions were the domain of Public Health Service. Public Health Service managers are uniformed officers and loyalty to their corps is the highest value. High turnover in direct care staff is common due to poor quality of management, poor working conditions and Public Health Service officers who promote corps interest over Indian Health Service interest.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to Indian Health Service: A mandatory confidential exit interview conducted by an independent third party needs to occur with each resignation.

Move along, nothing to see.

Medical Records (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe jobs are easy to get, no one wants to work there.

ConsOutsiders walk on egg shells, USPHS outdated and outmoded and exists as a good government job. Race preference permeates all aspects of work. Non Indians expected to appreciate cultural events. Lots of social service work. Stifled and suppressed work environment. Everything relies on government checks. Long term employees look bitten and tired.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do, we'll keep working elsewhere.

Hostile work environment

ProsGreat 401k and 8 hours of annual leave per pay period after 15 years. Most of the patients are lovely and friendly as well as a majority of staff.

ConsIHS shows serious favoritism to natives and corp members. The high turnover rate keeps incompetent temporary upper management that changes local rules at their whim to benefit themselves and their favorites while undermining and keeping those they don't like without approved time off or promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to do serious site inspections, interviewing all employees and not just taking acting CEO's word for truth. Make your presence known and make it known you care about all of the employees in your area. Do not support reprimands for termination based on limited information without investigation of the whole truth, not just the words of a very few over the majority.

Low pay poor living conditions, no respect

Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) Crownpoint, NM

ProsGreat patient population. Opportunities to learn.

ConsDishonest hiring practices. Student loan repayment not guaranteed. Very low salary. Terrible living conditions (frozen pipes, leaking roof). Most medical staff are new graduates. Long hours and strict control of schedule. No admin staff to send letters to patient's, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly present the position to applicants. Recognize nurse practitioners as the educated professionals they are.

The Indian Health Service provides an opportunity for having more than "just a job"

Environmental Engineer (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsJob satisfaction; working with Indians; sense of camaraderie; not 'just a job'; training and education support; direct contact with the people we provide services too; employment providing meaning other than profit and personal gain

ConsGovernment rules can be cumbersome and frustrating; arrogant colleagues; earning respect of the people served must be earned (not necessarily a con, but can be an obstacle); inter-office politics and pettiness displayed by fellow employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain in touch with what is happening in the field; better communication between departments and more cooperative efforts between the same

government gone wild

Physician (Current Employee) Crownpoint, NM

Proshealthcare benefits for federal employees are pretty nice. thrift savings plan (TSP) is much simpler than a 401k, easier to invest money without fees.

Consmanagement comprised of tribal members who are not qualified, yet given preference due to their ethnicity. Physicians do not receive the proper amount of respect due to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPhysicians are owed a certain level of respect by all non physicians, these people have sacrificed a great deal of time and money to acquire their educations.

Worked for US Indian Health Service? Contribute to the Community!