US International Trade Administration

www.trade.gov

US International Trade Administration Reviews

3.9

Renee A. Macklin

Great place for an internship to get basic office experience

Current Employee - Trade Specialist
    Current Employee - Trade Specialist

Pros

Opens up doors for other jobs within the government

Cons

Interning in an environment of a slower office due to working for the gov can potentially lower your expectations of what should be done during a day at the office

As an intern, I dealt with a variety of personalities. Especially one boss who very much believed everyone needed to work there way up from the bottom. He got his friend to offer me a job to clean the warehouse once I graduated with my degree. I firmly declined as I other companies saw much more value in me.

Great place to work but depends on which branch you are at

Pros

Exciting work with lots of opportunity to interact with industry people

Cons

Too bureaucratic and sometimes too much office politics

Extraordinarily challenging, yet rewarding, work environment where we are able to help U.S. companies succeed.

Current Employee - Chief of Staff  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Chief of Staff in Washington, DC

Pros

This organization allows one to learn from some of the best international, business and policy experts in the nation while also help U.S. companies do business in the global marketplace in order to increase job growth at home. In addition, to the work we do directly supports the President on the National Export Initiative to double U.S. exports by 2014. This is historic in terms of prioritization of national policies, and ITA plays a key role in shaping and executing this effort.

Cons

The organization has suffered from stagnation in thinking over the last 20 years in terms of providing outside-the-box solutions to assisting U.S. companies in the global marketplace. In addition, it has perennially suffered from low satisfaction rates as a place to work in the federal government according to Employee Viewpoint Surveys. The organization could do better in terms of providing employees a way critically to engage leadership, and I believe it will in the coming years.

Create stronger processes for allowing employees at all levels to intellectually engage in change management. Encourage and reward employees for creating new ways of providing service. Listen more and authentically communicate the organizational vision, consistently, to create a sense of credibility and trust in the workforce.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting environment as compared to other government agencies

Former Employee - Chief Financial Officer Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Chief Financial Officer Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Not a typical government agency in that they want to improve and make necessary changes instead of doing things because they've always been done that way

Cons

Still has the bureaucracy and lots of old-fashioned people. Their technology is very behind and need to update programs and how colleagues can communicate with each other.

I would make sure that performance evaluations are being taken seriously and that upper level managers are being thorough in their reviews of their employees. There needs to be an agency-wide passion for improvement, especially in an era where trade is so important.

Working in international trade is the greatest

Current Employee - International Economist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - International Economist in Washington, DC

Pros

Opportunity for growth and rapid advancement on global issues that affect the economy.

Cons

Some of the processes, and paperwork are a little bit tedious and dated.

Further support for career development through education.

Good Place to Work

Pros

Flexible, interesting work, telecommunication, great benefits, smart coworkers

Cons

Down time in between complaints

More efficiency needed

Worked for US International Trade Administration? Contribute to the Community!