US Investigations Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips

Sterling Phillips

Pros
  • Work from home: even your commute to appointments is included in your work day (in 64 reviews)

• Your schedule used to be widely flexible and has devolved into a somewhat flexible schedule (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Million dollar bonuses being handed out by Opm to upper management on the work done by the Field Investigators (in 21 reviews)

• Heavy work load, extremely busy and time management could sometimes be a challenge (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Report Card

ProsOffers great independence, challenge and always learning in fast paced environment that's supports our nation's security, which is exciting and stimulating.

ConsExtremely harsh business practices gets in its own way, counter productive to morale and retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen, make a change to the culture and in turn you will drive success.

Responsibility and accountability for conditions entirely out of one's control.

Investigator (Former Employee)

ProsBetter than having no job at all in that one has the benefit of a paycheck. Fleet program and provided smart phone were helpful.

ConsConstant changes to processes and procedures. Constant pressure to produce more, better, faster. Little backup from Corporate or the government client to prod uncooperative police departments and courts to provide necessary information to meet investigative requirements and deadlines. Unrealistic vacation policies that demand that all assigned work be completed and turned in before one can leave, thereby creating so much pre-leave stress that one cannot enjoy the time off. Two of my last three years with the company, my salary was increased by $1000/year--approximately $.50/hr.--and the last year there was no increase at all. Salaries were very low for the amount of work required.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome employees require a short leash and some do not. In my last posting, at least one of the investigators was rude and bullying to investigative subjects and sources. The District Manager was over 500 miles away and could not have had knowledge of this person's tactics. A better hierarchical structure is needed to root out investigators who abuse their "power." More back-up for the honest and hardworking investigators would be far better for the company than paying bonuses to people who earn their high production by cheating or bullying.

High turnover

Material Analyst I (Former Employee) Boyers, PA

ProsPay scale compared to other local employers, overtime hours allowed, other employees

ConsTraining, changing work schedules with short notice, pay raises

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is what you make of it

Associate Investigator (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsYou can create and manage your schedule as an Investigator, which can be good and bad. You work independently and must be able to develop yourself, otherwise you will not progress in this position.

ConsPromotions and pay raises have been tough to come by recently, but that seems to be the case for most job markets. When managing your own schedule, you can end up working until midnight several nights per week if you do not plan ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has been getting more actively involved recently and communication has opened up. I have no issues with management.

Sale

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and employee satisfaction

ConsNone. I enjoyed my time there.

National Security Background Investigations require more commitment from the entire company in the area of training.

Investigator (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsWorking from home with almost complete control of your schedule is a plus. Every job has deadlines, but this one has more than most.

ConsOverall hands off policy of management. On the job training is inadequate for what is a pretty important job involving national security. Little focus on training after initial hire. Inconsistency abounds among reviewers.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on training, perhaps expanding it to six weeks, with more instruction on reporting and coverage requirements for success. In addition, ongoing hands on training would bring good results.

Stressful - Good luck with a raise

IT - Computers (Current Employee) Grove City, PA

ProsYou can learn alot in IT, good for entry level to learn, good for right out of college.

ConsTo many to list. The upper management is really bad. Most get hired in since they are friends with someone. No real advancement and ALWAYS talk about the 'Budget". Funny how they can NEVER keep the money straight when it comes to the workers but the managers and directors always seem to have enough. Hmmmm odd.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is know who your good workers are and promote them. I have seen sooo many good IT people leave due to work load and low pay. I bet some IT manager and Directors make around 70-100k while System admins make in the low 45-50's....You'll go years with no raise. The company is going down the drain. Fast

The potential is there...

Field Investigator (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, company car & cell phone, work from home

ConsTight deadlines, inconsistency among reviewers, outdated technology

Advice to Senior ManagementSecure more contracts, invest more in technology, loosen up on deadlines, increase pay

One step above the psycho ward

ProsHorror movie in teal life and management are the zombie monsters creeping around. The good team leaders left and a bunch of bipolar nuts took their place.

ConsNot enough space to fit all the cons

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're only as good as the people doing the actual work. Stop treating people like a used paper towel.

Frustrated, stressed, and unsure

ProsThe vehicle and freedom to make schedule ( to a certain degree)

ConsWe currently cannot use the vacation time that we have accrued for an unknown reason. There is no way to get answers because upper management won't communicate. There is no job security because you're only as good as your numbers. I doubt the company will ever value the investigators.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell employees the status of the company. Listen to the people the do the footwork daily.

Worked for US Investigations Services? Contribute to the Community!