US Investigations Services

Updated September 12, 2014
1.8

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips
Sterling Phillips

Pros
  • Work from home: even your commute to appointments is included in your work day (in 64 reviews)

• Your schedule used to be widely flexible and has devolved into a somewhat flexible schedule (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Million dollar bonuses being handed out by Opm to upper management on the work done by the Field Investigators (in 21 reviews)

• Heavy work load, extremely busy and time management could sometimes be a challenge (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

10 years

I worked at US Investigations Services for more than 10 years

Pros

Laid off from USIS and became a Independent Contractor during a period of time when this organization is nothing more than a black eye on my resume. The extremely bad management caused me to go the extra mile every day and use every little dime that I earned from this organization to pay off my mortgage one year ago prior to the layoff. I did not have to pay $2000 back after the layoff for education assistance. Thank you for making me cynical and thank you very much for paying for my BS degree when I went back to college later in life. Thank you also for losing your battle with the Department of Labor and the $600 check I received in the mail a couple weeks ago.

Cons

The writing has been on the wall for a very long time and it still baffles me why anyone would want to be a full time employee for this organization. This organization flushes out their most experienced only to replace them with kids straight out of college willing to do any dumb thing that they ask because they care more about paying their student loan debt than they do about this job.

I question your honesty and integrity. I question your personal conduct and judgment. I question your financial responsibility because Providence paid way too much for this company. I do think that there are things that you have done and said can leave you open to blackmail or coercion. Good Luck!

Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pros were steady work, rewarding work, and a paycheck.

Cons

Furlough means no work or paycheck. The worst is the unknown as employees, (all hardworking and dedicated) are left in the dark. No news usually means good news, but in this case who knows. Will be be back to work, and if so when ??

If the ship is sinking, please left us know, so that we too can plan.

Furloughed with no truthful communication coming from management

Current Employee - Field Investigator
    Current Employee - Field Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company vehicle, work from your home. Ability to meet interesting people in day to day investigation interviews. Company paid cell phone and vacation time is okay.

Cons

Where to start: Terrible top management that have zero communication skills. No concern whatsoever for the employees; bottom line driven with no eye on the longer view. Always crying about no money to give decent raises or promotions.This company is a mess and I am not sure they are viable in the future if they don't recognize the internal trouble and make positive moves to get this thing out of the ditch. Keypoint is circling this wounded company like a great white shark taking bites at will. Allegations of case dumping, Federal Grand Jury and DOJ Investigations, Congressional hearings, OIG Investigations that report back to OPM and Congress about all of this and now the cyber-hack that occurred has cast yet another long shadow on this company. Not sure how much more of this negative activity the company can brush out and still survive..

They could care less about hearing advice or comments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't feel valued as an employee

I have been working at US Investigations Services

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home, company car. If you do your job well you don't have to have much contact with supervisor or upper mgmt.

Cons

Case load and time lines unrealistic. Hard to get promoted. Investigators and reviewers seem like they cannot work together to produce a quality case. Investigators have been on furlough for 23 days...Some unpaid due to no more vacation time.

The way the furlough is being handled is ridiculous. No communication from upper management. Only emails stating company is still in business...just not the investigators.

Investigator

Former Employee - Field Investigator
    Former Employee - Field Investigator

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working from home, setting own hours, meeting different people every day.

Cons

Wow, where do I begin? Lack of training, no potential for growth, no pay raises, TL can not answer any questions on how to get promoted, but expects a SR investigator to be willing to train (plus work their own cases) do oversight projects, without a promotion; allowing new investigators (one year on the job or less) to provide shadow training, RZ's , ACD's and I can go on and on...miss the days when I first came aboard (2000-2004 timeframe)

Invest in your people!! You continue to hire people off the street, and those who are struggling in the field, you could care a less...you don't care that all the money that was invested in hiring, and training an investigator just walks right out the door....you want to know where our pay raises go, to investigators who are trained, and then walk out the door due to frustration with upper management. MENTOR your people! VALUE your people!!

Left hanging

Current Employee - Field Investigator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Investigator in Chicago, IL

Pros

The checks have never bounced, the company cell phones work and the opportunity to work with a great group of coworkers.

Cons

Constantly changing metrics and a disconnected and ever-changing management team above the regional level. Communication of anything other than dissatisfaction with production is usually a poorly-spun response to negative news reports.

Pull the ripcord on your golden parachute while you still can.

It is a mess right now.

Pros

Flexible work schedule, I have a good boss.

Cons

The company is in a mess right now with several huge issues. The company wanted to go public so they hired big time GE Medical people to help with the process. This only made the company on the verge of going under. Bill Mixon ruined the company with his hot shot antics and pushed through thousands of investigations that were never reviewed. People that work there are mostly hard workers, it was not their fault. Unfortunately Mixon got the big bonus money and is untouchable in this fiasco and we the dedicated employees are paying the price.

Where do I start? My management is awesome...as awesome as they are allowed to be. But I am not in the field or a data transcriber. I personally blame the Fed. Government who put outrageous time turnarounds on cases. It starts there. We have to follow and make those numbers which creates the chaos of data transcribers to work 20 plus hours of OT for the past 2 years and many investigators that work OT without getting paid. I can give advice to management but they won't listen. My advice is to the worker-do NOT compromise your integrity just because you think you need this job. THey will throw you under the wheel as fast as they can. Work as best you can in the 40 hours and go home. The numbers are seriously skewed because people do this constantly. Yet if you get busted, you are in serious trouble. Just do the best you can and if it is not good enough, no loss. But if you compromise your integrity and take short cuts, you only hurt yourself and others that work there.

Senior Investigator

Current Employee - Senior Investigator
    Current Employee - Senior Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High compensation for the industry. Minimal supervision. Fleet vehicle. Lots of daily flexibility to handle personal tasks but still complete a full day of work. Local leadership is excellent, as helpful as possible and knowledgeable.

Cons

Lots of negative media attention. Unsure about senior leadership direction. constantly changing guidance and insecurity about future stability. Local leadership appears to be handcuffed.

Field Investigator

Current Employee - Field Investigator  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Field Investigator in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Company car and gas card

Cons

Lack of communcation, company's reputation in media, hidden adgenda

Be truthful to employees. Provide communication and better benefits/income.

I worked for several contracts and the employee experience was always positive.

Pros

In a challenging work environment, the company was able to reassign me to several projects when contracts were ended to assure my ongoing employment.

Cons

The uncertainty of the contracting work environment causes employees to always be concerned about their future employment options.

Ensure that management hires are researched well to ensure that the most qualified individuals are promoted appropriately.

Worked for US Investigations Services? Contribute to the Community!