US Investigations Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips

Sterling Phillips

Pros:
  • "Work from home: even your commute to appointments is included in your work day"
    in 53 reviews
  • "Your schedule used to be widely flexible and has devolved into a somewhat flexible schedule"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management has no clue when it comes to Background Investigations"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Team leaders are people who are good in the field and it does not translate into the office/employees"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Initially great....

Investigator (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany provided vehicle and smart phone with personal use availability, somewhat flexible schedule, reimbursement for home internet access.

ConsUnobtainable production goals that directly effect merit increases and promotions. STRESS! The lack of communication between various levels of management and the field. A lack of consistency and continuity when it comes to interpretation of policy and procedure without a system of checks and balances. Benefits, although excellent initially, costs have skyrocketed without any raises, and coverage has decreased.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the field since they are on the front lines and the key to the company's ultimate success in meeting goals both professionally and financially.

It used to be a good company to work for, but not now

Field Investigator (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFleet vehicle with gas and maintenance provided that can be used for personal use for a PUC fee of about $200 a month. Some flexibility in work schedule.

ConsToo much to list everything. Company was great to work for in the beginning, but the last few years have been on a downward spiral. The leadership has little to no experience in this business and those who have worked in the field have not worked cases in years and don't have a clue as to the complexity of case work with OPM changes and requirements in recent years. The ACD's are constantly being tweaked downward, not allowing enough time to properly work the cases, all in the interest of more profit. .

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue about how difficult and time consuming it is to properly work a top secret clearance background investigation with integrity with an eye to look for problems and inconsistencies and not to turn a blind eye and ear to them. Once that process is understood, then establish "reasonable" ACD's. You have a great Field Investigation staff who take pride in their work, but you must give them the proper time to work the cases.

Dream Job to Nightmare

Associate Investigator (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 3 years

Prosflexibility, generous PTO, interesting work day, great stories

ConsPoor upper management detached from the realities of the position, ever-changing standards and fickle reviewers, work overload, low raises/promotions. When I first started this job I had a great supervisor and reasonable expectations with quality and work load. I did very well and loved it. As time wore on and OPM changed its standards, the process became more convoluted and sped up with inadquate training and what felt like ever-changing standards. Integrity suffered, interviews were rushed as it became longer to write quality reports and churn them out with shortened (and ever changing ACDs). I became frustrated and felt like a cog in the machine, so I jumped ship to work in the nonprofit world and I've never been happier.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more positive feedback, push back against unreasonable expectations.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Investigations

Senior Investigator (Current Employee)

ProsYou get a car, gas, and other perks

ConsYou work a ton of hours

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off of the short assigned completion dates and we would be happier employees

Paralegal

Senior Paralegal (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time for less than a year

Prosstability and a lot of free time

ConsVery poor environment, social culture is pretty low, no interaction with the others, no management or training, you basically have no idea what you supposed to be doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be more feedback and training.

All I can say is that it was an experience.

Escort/Security Monitor (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best reason that I worked there, was because I was able to work at night.

ConsNot enough people on staff at night when unexpected situations occur.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage!

Working as a contractor for ICE was a good experience overall.

Analyst (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at US Investigations Services as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people to work with... Had the opportunity for advancement within the company.

ConsTraining was in another state for 2 and a half weeks.
Contract TERM

Friendly Office

Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee)
Grove City, PA

I worked at US Investigations Services as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlex-time, friendly office atmosphere. Workers generally satisfied with pay and ability to get time off.

ConsAlthough I did not receive any benefits as an intern, workers generally complained about them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more lively and interactive culture. Improve the significant lack of communication between top management.

It has been a great company to work for over the years.

Senior Investigator (Current Employee)
Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe job freedom is unmatched.

ConsSometimes can be long work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementA better work life balance.

Never work here!

Investigator (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time

ProsWorking from home, new fleet car

ConsI can go on and on about the cons of this company, but just to touch on a few major ones:
1) Workload levels are completely unmanageable and you are continuously harassed by your team leader if you fall behind. On many occasions I have been assigned to interview someone with a 2-day deadline which is completely unrealistic, as your turn-around times are solely dependent on the availability of the person you're interviewing.

2) No one can trust management. In meetings the talking bobble heads say everything is sugar coated to be 'fine' and not to worry about anything. They must all think we live in a cave and can't access news articles shedding light on this company's true colors.

3) The USIS review process is backwards and unfair. Although all reviewers are supposed to be uniform with the standards for reviewing a report, it seems as though each one has a different set of standards. This is extremely frustrating because when a reviewer reopens your report, you get a deficiency which directly affects your stats and ultimately your potential merit increases. If you don't agree with a reviewer, you can challenge them with the help of your team leader, but if it doesn't get resolved quickly enought, your TL will get tired of talking about it and just tell you to take the deficiency even if you're right.

4) Ever changing rules and guidelines! At least three times a week we all receive an email regarding new guidance on something. Please tell me how it is possible to manage an unrealistic workload and keep up with rules that change almost daily? It's not! Nothing burns me up more than to have done something that was correct in the past but is now incorrect a week later, then to have your team leader call you out on it and say, "Well you should have known, it's right there under guidance 11152.2849569.294963, section 8285966, row 49677, bullet C." Come on.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt doesn't matter. We are all disposable parts even though we are the backbone of this company. Just wondering how many in management will end up in prison
 after all this!

Worked for US Investigations Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Investigations Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Investigations Services CEO Sterling Phillips . All 269 reviews posted anonymously by US Investigations Services employees.