US Investigations Services

Updated August 28, 2014

1.8

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips
Sterling Phillips

Pros
  • Work from home: even your commute to appointments is included in your work day (in 64 reviews)

• Your schedule used to be widely flexible and has devolved into a somewhat flexible schedule (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Million dollar bonuses being handed out by Opm to upper management on the work done by the Field Investigators (in 21 reviews)

• Heavy work load, extremely busy and time management could sometimes be a challenge (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Investigator

Former Employee - Field Investigator
    Former Employee - Field Investigator

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working from home, setting own hours, meeting different people every day.

Cons

Wow, where do I begin? Lack of training, no potential for growth, no pay raises, TL can not answer any questions on how to get promoted, but expects a SR investigator to be willing to train (plus work their own cases) do oversight projects, without a promotion; allowing new investigators (one year on the job or less) to provide shadow training, RZ's , ACD's and I can go on and on...miss the days when I first came aboard (2000-2004 timeframe)

Invest in your people!! You continue to hire people off the street, and those who are struggling in the field, you could care a less...you don't care that all the money that was invested in hiring, and training an investigator just walks right out the door....you want to know where our pay raises go, to investigators who are trained, and then walk out the door due to frustration with upper management. MENTOR your people! VALUE your people!!

High Stress, low pay and recognition

Current Employee - Associate Investigator  in  Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Associate Investigator in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Set your own schedule, decent benefit plans so long as you are single

Cons

Too high of work load, high stress and demands. Low pay given the stress and responsibility, especially when seeing ads from Taco Bell hiring assistant managers at a higher pay rate. Also, forced PTO means your vacation is spend according to their business needs instead of you actually getting to enjoy and use your vacation hours. If you are lucky to get the vacation, plan on taking an extra 2 days off prior to the start so you can actually have time to finish your work assignments before leaving (then don't take those 2 extra days because you need that time to complete the work). There is overall unrealistic expectations on work loads and time to complete any project.

The only feedback ever heard by employees is negative. Increase positive recognition, especially when employees are working 12 hour days constantly to meet deadlines that were unrealistic.

Field Investigator

Current Employee - Field Investigator  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Field Investigator in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company car and gas card

Cons

Lack of communcation, company's reputation in media, hidden adgenda

Be truthful to employees. Provide communication and better benefits/income.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Investigator

Current Employee - Senior Investigator
    Current Employee - Senior Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High compensation for the industry. Minimal supervision. Fleet vehicle. Lots of daily flexibility to handle personal tasks but still complete a full day of work. Local leadership is excellent, as helpful as possible and knowledgeable.

Cons

Lots of negative media attention. Unsure about senior leadership direction. constantly changing guidance and insecurity about future stability. Local leadership appears to be handcuffed.

Left hanging

Current Employee - Field Investigator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Investigator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The checks have never bounced, the company cell phones work and the opportunity to work with a great group of coworkers.

Cons

Constantly changing metrics and a disconnected and ever-changing management team above the regional level. Communication of anything other than dissatisfaction with production is usually a poorly-spun response to negative news reports.

Pull the ripcord on your golden parachute while you still can.

Unstable and high turnaround

Current Employee - Administrative  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Falls Church, VA

Pros

compensation is not bad and processes are being to be formed by employees, not by corporate. They have a great program with UVA and Ford.

Cons

No processes in place. high turnover. 3 executive teams in less than 2 years. poor work environment. no open door policy. no backing by leadership.

need to invest in your teams, expectations are high with no upper management accountability

Contract Investigator

Current Employee - Investigator  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Investigator in Portland, OR

I have been working at US Investigations Services as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good contract job but has changed according to colleagues who still work there. As long as I was doing non OPM work it was good. OPM work is challenging and will continue to be that way.

Cons

Sporadic work. Lots of turnover. Good job when I started and then it changed to be a numbers game.

Avoid if you can

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Pays better than other comparable positions in the surrounding area.

Cons

Poor management. Lack of employee opportunity/development.

Work toward making a shift in company culture.

Overworked and underpaid

Current Employee - Investigator  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Investigator in Washington, DC

Pros

Company car with gas card is great. Also, somewhat flexible work schedule is good.

Cons

Everything else. I have not received a raise in two years. All negativity press about the company is 100% true. The job completely ignores putting out a quality product. The company is all about pumping out quantity by any means possible. Also, the constant pressure and stress of meeting ACD becomes overwhelming for almost all employees. Multiple former team members have quit w/o having another job because the stress and anxiety became too to handle. And current team meetings essentially become an opportunity to talk with team members about where they are applying to and dirty company practices. I seriously wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy.

The job would be amazing if it weren't for USIS.

Current Employee - Associate Investigator  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Investigator in Orlando, FL

Pros

You get a car and they pay for your gas.

Cons

Production and numbers are all that count. They don't care about the overall quality of the investigations. I've been told to RT/UC items just to get a case closed on time. I know for a fact (via a former TL I had) that they make sure most investigators will have at least 1 bad month each performance cycle, thus ensuring they can deny you a raise or promotion. The work load is high and the due dates (ACDs) are insanely compressed. You can't even touch most cases until the day they are due (and this has gotten worse over the past 3 months to point were many cases have to be ignored until past ACD). The pay sucks. I have reason to suspect that many field investigators don't even make attempts to get proper coverage and simply RT/UC items to get then in on time. The management cannot be trusted. They never share information with the FIs. The list goes on and on. Too much to type here.

This company is worthless. Sell the company to people who give a damn about the product. Stop being so greedy.

Worked for US Investigations Services? Contribute to the Community!