US Investigations Services

Updated September 27, 2014
1.8

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips
Sterling Phillips

Pros
  • Work from home: even your commute to appointments is included in your work day (in 68 reviews)

• You have the ability for a very flexible schedule, work mostly independently (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no way to get answers because upper management won't communicate (in 22 reviews)

• The work load is high and the due dates (ACDs) are insanely compressed (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

10 years

I worked at US Investigations Services for more than 10 years

Pros

Laid off from USIS and became a Independent Contractor during a period of time when this organization is nothing more than a black eye on my resume. The extremely bad management caused me to go the extra mile every day and use every little dime that I earned from this organization to pay off my mortgage one year ago prior to the layoff. I did not have to pay $2000 back after the layoff for education assistance. Thank you for making me cynical and thank you very much for paying for my BS degree when I went back to college later in life. Thank you also for losing your battle with the Department of Labor and the $600 check I received in the mail a couple weeks ago.

Cons

The writing has been on the wall for a very long time and it still baffles me why anyone would want to be a full time employee for this organization. This organization flushes out their most experienced only to replace them with kids straight out of college willing to do any dumb thing that they ask because they care more about paying their student loan debt than they do about this job.

I question your honesty and integrity. I question your personal conduct and judgment. I question your financial responsibility because Providence paid way too much for this company. I do think that there are things that you have done and said can leave you open to blackmail or coercion. Good Luck!

USIS stinks. USIS finally sinks.

Former Employee - Senior Investigator  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Columbia, SC

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I was able to schedule my own work day. I was working independently and seldom had face-to-face contact with supervisors and management. The pay was fine. (I probably wouldn't be saying that if I lived in a large city.)

Cons

There was no job security for the last year or two of the job. They forced us to take our paid time off early in fiscal year 2014. When the furlough happened in early 8/14 many of us had no leave to carry us through the weeks to come. Even while steadily working we were scheduled too much work with very short suspense dates and were seldom offered overtime. Because of USIS internal problems, bad management, high turnover rate, and lack of compensation for needed OT hours, what was once a good job became a bad, high stress job. The ship began sinking when the U.S. Congress mandated short suspense dates for all security investigations. This created impossible workloads with impossible suspense dates. As our investigators began abandoning ship, those of us stupid enough to stick with it became burdened with work we could not possibly complete on time.

Also, there was the constant feeling of paranoia due to the threat of field note audits. Over the last couple of years, OPM decided our field notes should have of the structure and consistency of a novella. It is the common view of OPM that any schmuck should be able to retrieve our field notes and reconstruct an entire security investigation by merely reading our notes. With time constraints and other investigations to complete, it is completely obvious to any field investigator that field notes can only be a "help" when typing up the details of an interview. For these notes to be anything else would require each reference interview and Subject-of-Investigation interview to take hours on end. This is not possible due to the demands of the job. Still, one must live in constant fear as OPM and your company constantly remind you that your work can be audited at any time. Tactics such as this would make an IRS agent proud.

Upper management: You stink. USIS stinks. The U.S. Government created this monopoly and dishonest and incompetent leadership destroyed this company after only 18 years. Advice to Management: Please stay away from KeyPoint and CACI. Find another line of work. Let these competitors destroy themselves.

Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pros were steady work, rewarding work, and a paycheck.

Cons

Furlough means no work or paycheck. The worst is the unknown as employees, (all hardworking and dedicated) are left in the dark. No news usually means good news, but in this case who knows. Will be be back to work, and if so when ??

If the ship is sinking, please left us know, so that we too can plan.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

USIS is a known Puppy Mill

Former Employee - Investigator
    Former Employee - Investigator

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is decent, benefits good

Cons

High turnover rate with undue stress caused by overwork and lack of support. They broke Hawaii State laws for employment by hiring/Employing FT personnel but not providing the required benefits by law. Only when Hawaii DOL contacted them with complaint did they fix this, although compensation for the period in which benefits should have been established but were not, never happened.

Evaluate your Team Leaders without fear of repercussions from your staff. Insure a high level of support, research complaints thoroughly, abide by ALL State laws in which you have employees.

Great company that went downhill fast.

Current Employee - Investigator  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Investigator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You never have to see your manager and can flextime if you want to take a day off.

Cons

The work load is horrible and the pay is a joke.

Treat your employees like human beings.

Long hours, meticulous reports, flexible hours

Current Employee - Background Investigator
    Current Employee - Background Investigator

Pros

Flexible hours, rewarding career meeting lots of new people and seeing lots of companies. Work from home with appointments at all times of the day and evening. Every day is different with visits to new people and new companies. A car, a phone, a fax/printer machine and a laptop are provided.

Cons

Background investigators are required to submit perfect reports of results of background investigations, but IT staff, managers, and corporate executives regularly take three tries to get anything right. Training on revised report criteria regularly comes in the form of a ding from review. Tight deadlines and high case loads do not account for sources not having time during holiday seasons or bad weather delays.

Act with the quality and integrity demanded of field investigators.

Not bad for a big company

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good vacation time
    Flexible schedule
    direct management communicates well

Cons

Still reactive instead of proactive
    IT department too small - it takes forever to get any updates
    corporate management is aloof

Upper management needs to listen to middle management as they know what the issues are and how to solve them.

I worked for several contracts and the employee experience was always positive.

Pros

In a challenging work environment, the company was able to reassign me to several projects when contracts were ended to assure my ongoing employment.

Cons

The uncertainty of the contracting work environment causes employees to always be concerned about their future employment options.

Ensure that management hires are researched well to ensure that the most qualified individuals are promoted appropriately.

Overall rewarding and fulfilling.

Current Employee - Senior Investigator
    Current Employee - Senior Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You have the ability for a very flexible schedule, work mostly independently. A fair amount of opportunity for growth and advancement. There are some real perks (i.e. fleet car program) not offered by other companies in this industry.

Cons

There is not a lot of effort made to retain tenured employees. Pay raises/merit increases have been almost non existent last several years. There is a disconnect between management and the field and a distinct lack of communication on major issues from corporate level.

There needs to be more effort made to communicate with those in field. A bonus or other system needs to be put in place to offset loss of merit increases and help with retention.

Great company with great benefits

I worked at US Investigations Services

Pros

Amazing benefits and flexible schedule

Cons

Sometimes hard to balance work and personal life

Better communication from management necessary

Worked for US Investigations Services? Contribute to the Community!