US Investigations Services

Updated August 28, 2014

1.8

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips
Sterling Phillips

Pros
  • Work from home: even your commute to appointments is included in your work day (in 64 reviews)

• Your schedule used to be widely flexible and has devolved into a somewhat flexible schedule (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Million dollar bonuses being handed out by Opm to upper management on the work done by the Field Investigators (in 21 reviews)

• Heavy work load, extremely busy and time management could sometimes be a challenge (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy!!

I have been working at US Investigations Services

Pros

A work car. That's it.

Cons

Everything else! All the news in the media is 100 % correct. This place is a joke. We are on week three of unpaid furloughs but fear not, the company is going to pay us for the Labor Day holiday. Thanks Sterling, your the best! What hasn't been mentioned in the media is how the clowns in management are violating labor laws in all 50 states since USIS hourly employees are being paid for 40/hrs but are working 60 plus. Ugh, I can't wait to find a new job ASAP!

Stop thinking that things are going to be all right. This place is going down just like Enron.

Furloughed with no truthful communication coming from management

Current Employee - Field Investigator
    Current Employee - Field Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company vehicle, work from your home. Ability to meet interesting people in day to day investigation interviews. Company paid cell phone and vacation time is okay.

Cons

Where to start: Terrible top management that have zero communication skills. No concern whatsoever for the employees; bottom line driven with no eye on the longer view. Always crying about no money to give decent raises or promotions.This company is a mess and I am not sure they are viable in the future if they don't recognize the internal trouble and make positive moves to get this thing out of the ditch. Keypoint is circling this wounded company like a great white shark taking bites at will. Allegations of case dumping, Federal Grand Jury and DOJ Investigations, Congressional hearings, OIG Investigations that report back to OPM and Congress about all of this and now the cyber-hack that occurred has cast yet another long shadow on this company. Not sure how much more of this negative activity the company can brush out and still survive..

They could care less about hearing advice or comments.

Investigator

Former Employee - Field Investigator
    Former Employee - Field Investigator

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working from home, setting own hours, meeting different people every day.

Cons

Wow, where do I begin? Lack of training, no potential for growth, no pay raises, TL can not answer any questions on how to get promoted, but expects a SR investigator to be willing to train (plus work their own cases) do oversight projects, without a promotion; allowing new investigators (one year on the job or less) to provide shadow training, RZ's , ACD's and I can go on and on...miss the days when I first came aboard (2000-2004 timeframe)

Invest in your people!! You continue to hire people off the street, and those who are struggling in the field, you could care a less...you don't care that all the money that was invested in hiring, and training an investigator just walks right out the door....you want to know where our pay raises go, to investigators who are trained, and then walk out the door due to frustration with upper management. MENTOR your people! VALUE your people!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Left hanging

Current Employee - Field Investigator  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Investigator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The checks have never bounced, the company cell phones work and the opportunity to work with a great group of coworkers.

Cons

Constantly changing metrics and a disconnected and ever-changing management team above the regional level. Communication of anything other than dissatisfaction with production is usually a poorly-spun response to negative news reports.

Pull the ripcord on your golden parachute while you still can.

Senior Investigator

Current Employee - Senior Investigator
    Current Employee - Senior Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High compensation for the industry. Minimal supervision. Fleet vehicle. Lots of daily flexibility to handle personal tasks but still complete a full day of work. Local leadership is excellent, as helpful as possible and knowledgeable.

Cons

Lots of negative media attention. Unsure about senior leadership direction. constantly changing guidance and insecurity about future stability. Local leadership appears to be handcuffed.

It is a mess right now.

Pros

Flexible work schedule, I have a good boss.

Cons

The company is in a mess right now with several huge issues. The company wanted to go public so they hired big time GE Medical people to help with the process. This only made the company on the verge of going under. Bill Mixon ruined the company with his hot shot antics and pushed through thousands of investigations that were never reviewed. People that work there are mostly hard workers, it was not their fault. Unfortunately Mixon got the big bonus money and is untouchable in this fiasco and we the dedicated employees are paying the price.

Where do I start? My management is awesome...as awesome as they are allowed to be. But I am not in the field or a data transcriber. I personally blame the Fed. Government who put outrageous time turnarounds on cases. It starts there. We have to follow and make those numbers which creates the chaos of data transcribers to work 20 plus hours of OT for the past 2 years and many investigators that work OT without getting paid. I can give advice to management but they won't listen. My advice is to the worker-do NOT compromise your integrity just because you think you need this job. THey will throw you under the wheel as fast as they can. Work as best you can in the 40 hours and go home. The numbers are seriously skewed because people do this constantly. Yet if you get busted, you are in serious trouble. Just do the best you can and if it is not good enough, no loss. But if you compromise your integrity and take short cuts, you only hurt yourself and others that work there.

High Stress, low pay and recognition

Current Employee - Associate Investigator  in  Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Associate Investigator in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Set your own schedule, decent benefit plans so long as you are single

Cons

Too high of work load, high stress and demands. Low pay given the stress and responsibility, especially when seeing ads from Taco Bell hiring assistant managers at a higher pay rate. Also, forced PTO means your vacation is spend according to their business needs instead of you actually getting to enjoy and use your vacation hours. If you are lucky to get the vacation, plan on taking an extra 2 days off prior to the start so you can actually have time to finish your work assignments before leaving (then don't take those 2 extra days because you need that time to complete the work). There is overall unrealistic expectations on work loads and time to complete any project.

The only feedback ever heard by employees is negative. Increase positive recognition, especially when employees are working 12 hour days constantly to meet deadlines that were unrealistic.

Field Investigator

Current Employee - Field Investigator  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Field Investigator in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Company car and gas card

Cons

Lack of communcation, company's reputation in media, hidden adgenda

Be truthful to employees. Provide communication and better benefits/income.

Unstable and high turnaround

Current Employee - Administrative  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Falls Church, VA

Pros

compensation is not bad and processes are being to be formed by employees, not by corporate. They have a great program with UVA and Ford.

Cons

No processes in place. high turnover. 3 executive teams in less than 2 years. poor work environment. no open door policy. no backing by leadership.

need to invest in your teams, expectations are high with no upper management accountability

Contract Investigator

Current Employee - Investigator  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Investigator in Portland, OR

I have been working at US Investigations Services as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good contract job but has changed according to colleagues who still work there. As long as I was doing non OPM work it was good. OPM work is challenging and will continue to be that way.

Cons

Sporadic work. Lots of turnover. Good job when I started and then it changed to be a numbers game.

Worked for US Investigations Services? Contribute to the Community!