US Investigations Services

Updated December 5, 2014
1.8

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips
Sterling Phillips

Pros
  • Work from home: even your commute to appointments is included in your work day (in 71 reviews)

• You have the ability for a very flexible schedule, work mostly independently (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no way to get answers because upper management won't communicate (in 25 reviews)

• The work load is high and the due dates (ACDs) are insanely compressed (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Bound to happen

Former Employee - Associate Reviewer in Grove City, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Reviewer in Grove City, PA

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I had some wonderful coworkers over the years with the company. At one time they really made it "the" place to work.

Cons

After Dobbs left things started going downhill. Profit margins and EBITA were the name of the game. Thank goodness for Blake or they would still be doing their shady practices.

You would still have the ISD contract if you had stuck to your true core values. Many suffered unneedlessly due to corporate greed.

average

I have been working at US Investigations Services

Pros

it was an average company to work for

Cons

management was not truthful with the real problems

Good Job, Lousy corporate attitude.

Former Employee - Field Investigator in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Field Investigator in Columbus, GA

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lease car provided, insurance benefits started good but turned lousy last year. Also my fellow team members were good. In contrast to some other teams, my team leader was good. Wwe originally had team get together functions involving family. It was a good place to work.

Cons

It seems to most that after Providence Partners took over running the company, the slide downhill started. The revenue produced remained at the corporate level. The team related functions stopped and we became an assembly line. Problem was we were dealing with national security clearances. The pay raises for field staff became either non existent or a joke, yet the corporate management were rewarding themselves with large bonus checks and inventing more and more executive positions. The amount of field workers decreased which led to even more overwork. When the revenue produced took over as the most important aspect over the ethics and standards, and the moral of the field staff became insignificant; the collapse was apparent. Not sure how this company will continue to exist when the large refinanced debts are gonna come due. It was a good job originally with a good company working with good people, doing important work. But greed ended all that. When reality set end that the goose that laid the golden egg (government) was considering moving to another barnyard, the attempted changes came to late to be fixed. I can only hope that those who ruined this company receive whatever justice is out there.

None. I think it is too late.

Tried the best given the circumstances

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time

Pros

Managers put forth best effort given circumstances of a contracting environment.
    Great amounts of leave

Cons

Did not address issue of under staffing.
    Threw money at employee moral concerns instead of addressing underlying issues

Stay ahead of the staffing curve

Former Employee - Associate Investigator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Investigator in Washington, DC

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Initially the company car, which ended up being more money out of my pocket
    The flexible hours

Cons

Abysmal training
    Disconnect between management, reviewers, and investigators
    Lack of morals
    Work life balance
    Lack of critical updates to investigators
    Unrealistic work load

Maybe if you were more focused on providing an excellent product to our customers, rather than more millions and working your poor investigators to the bone to get those millions (and then not give them raises or compensation for years on end for the work they do), than the company would not have gone down the drain.

The eight week training did NOT prepare me for the work I had in the field. I was never told about critical updates that needed to be implemented into our day to day work which in turn had an immense affect on my metrics. Which were not explained during training.

As an investigator I was stressed out, it was having an effect on all aspects of my life and I felt like I was nothing more than a machine doing the bidding of a company who only cared about money. I found myself dreaming about work and having trouble sleeping. I was forced to pay thousands of dollars for a fleet vehicle while on maternity leave and was told that since I didn't report mileage (which I did not because I had no access to company websites nor emails since they took my computer while on leave) that it was my fault and there was nothing they can do. I was also told to not doing anything work related while on maternity leave...doesn't that sound work related to you?

it is truly terrible to what happened to all of the hardworking investigators who had very little time to find another position once the company tanked.

My advice to the management and to Mr. Sterlng Philiips is to gain some morals. Without the investigators you would have less of a company than you have now. You reap what you sow. Awful company to work for.

Quantity not Quality

Current Employee - Background Investigator in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Background Investigator in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was very good for the job duties, they provided a good company car, gas card and expense account for incidentals. Training was excellent at their home office.

Cons

Rush, rush, rush.. they were more concerned with the number of backgrounds done, rather than the quality of them.

Quality of work would be foremost, and more guidelines for achieving good results.

Runaway Train

I worked at US Investigations Services

Pros

Flexibility in your daily life as field investigator is about all I can say in a 'pro'. Everything else was a daily grind.

Cons

As an organization operated by an investment company, this business was a run away train with lack of uniform management. The 'corner office' was a revolving door where the door was also rotating outward with execs with golden parachutes that messed up this company. The ultimate mistake was USIS underbidding the OPM contract by $15+per unit hour and then to 'cover' for their mistake took the loss out on the backs of employees by cutting their accruded vacation hours, stiffing employees on pay raises, etc etc etc. Constant inter friction between field staff and office personnel. They got too big and they failed....

Not worth talking about.

HahahahahahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Former Employee - Integrity Assurance Officer in Grove City, PA
    Former Employee - Integrity Assurance Officer in Grove City, PA

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I got great experience to use for a real job.

Cons

Just google the company, sacrificing national security in the name of dollars... Just like the big contractors do!

Most of us worked really hard to do the right thing. Thanks for negating all of that.

Bad experience

Former Employee - Field Investigator
    Former Employee - Field Investigator

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fleet Car program, work from home, set your own schedule and meet new people every day.

Cons

They treated me like a robot. No one in upper management respected the backbone of the company. All I heard was work harder work faster. Everything is a priority get it done now.

Treat people like people

Progressively downhill experience.

Former Employee - Reviewer
    Former Employee - Reviewer

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility at first was awesome. For the most part I had bosses who let me do my job without breathing down my neck.

Cons

Endless overtime, a DONT give a crap attitude from upper management, and lack of raises made me hate the company. I loved my job, but USIS sucked.

Your employees are not hamsters in a wheel. We have lives and families and sorry, your profits do not come first to us, especially when the money is never passed on to the employees.