US Investigations Services

Updated October 21, 2014
1.8

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips
Sterling Phillips

Pros
  • Work from home: even your commute to appointments is included in your work day (in 70 reviews)

• You have the ability for a very flexible schedule, work mostly independently (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no way to get answers because upper management won't communicate (in 25 reviews)

• The work load is high and the due dates (ACDs) are insanely compressed (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Progressively downhill experience.

Former Employee - Reviewer
    Former Employee - Reviewer

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility at first was awesome. For the most part I had bosses who let me do my job without breathing down my neck.

Cons

Endless overtime, a DONT give a crap attitude from upper management, and lack of raises made me hate the company. I loved my job, but USIS sucked.

Your employees are not hamsters in a wheel. We have lives and families and sorry, your profits do not come first to us, especially when the money is never passed on to the employees.

Initially enjoyed...slowly diminished

Former Employee - Investigator
    Former Employee - Investigator

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time

Pros

You have some flexibility over your schedule which was nice. As an investigator you set up your own appointments and could plan your schedule around other commitments you have and make up the work time as needed. The company provided a fleet vehicle (you paid for) which could be used for both work and personal use.

Cons

The local management started mandating overtime which discarded any flexibility. It appeared to be an attempt by the local management to keep production numbers above the goal to look good for the regional leadership. Investigators were pressured to work longer to meet quotas. The salary was not as high as it should be for the amount of work expected. However, pay was not my primary factor for accepting the job...it was the flexibility which diminished in 2014. Promotion opportunities were scarce as well as pay raise opportunities.

Take care of your people. The are the ones that make the company effective and successful.

How poor management can result in unforeseen circumstances!

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Initially, there was a decent benefits package, with good training tools and work incentives. There was the ability to have some flexibility in work hours and to gave some industry insight. As time went on it was the people and the place that made the day a little better.

Cons

The challenges soon outweighed the benefits with poor contractual management and manager employee disconnect. Promotions and merit incentives depended on how the management staff personally felt about an employee versus work product and work ethic.

Management needs to consider allowing some of their more seasoned managers to mentor individuals with less management skills. I believe managemnet needs to learn how to better utilize their staff and their time.

USIS is not a bad company; however, if a person was able to get a promotion it would be short lived.

Former Employee - Field Investigator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Field Investigator in Dallas, TX

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Able to work from home and make my own schedule.

Cons

There was a lack of opportunity to move around in the company.

US Investigations Services has alot of ups and a a lot of downs just depends on you family situation if it is for you

Former Employee - OPM Investigator in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - OPM Investigator in Newport News, VA

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is decent. Actually the best paying job I have ever had at the time when I was employed there

Cons

The job is extremely stressfull. I used to literally wake up at 6 am to begin working and be working until 12 am the following morning. very demanding

give the investigator a break you are killing them

10 years

I worked at US Investigations Services (more than 10 years)

Pros

Laid off from USIS and became a Independent Contractor during a period of time when this organization is nothing more than a black eye on my resume. The extremely bad management caused me to go the extra mile every day and use every little dime that I earned from this organization to pay off my mortgage one year ago prior to the layoff. I did not have to pay $2000 back after the layoff for education assistance. Thank you for making me cynical and thank you very much for paying for my BS degree when I went back to college later in life. Thank you also for losing your battle with the Department of Labor and the $600 check I received in the mail a couple weeks ago.

Cons

The writing has been on the wall for a very long time and it still baffles me why anyone would want to be a full time employee for this organization. This organization flushes out their most experienced only to replace them with kids straight out of college willing to do any dumb thing that they ask because they care more about paying their student loan debt than they do about this job.

I question your honesty and integrity. I question your personal conduct and judgment. I question your financial responsibility because Providence paid way too much for this company. I do think that there are things that you have done and said can leave you open to blackmail or coercion. Good Luck!

USIS stinks. USIS finally sinks.

Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Columbia, SC

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was able to schedule my own work day. I was working independently and seldom had face-to-face contact with supervisors and management. The pay was fine. (I probably wouldn't be saying that if I lived in a large city.)

Cons

There was no job security for the last year or two of the job. They forced us to take our paid time off early in fiscal year 2014. When the furlough happened in early 8/14 many of us had no leave to carry us through the weeks to come. Even while steadily working we were scheduled too much work with very short suspense dates and were seldom offered overtime. Because of USIS internal problems, bad management, high turnover rate, and lack of compensation for needed OT hours, what was once a good job became a bad, high stress job. The ship began sinking when the U.S. Congress mandated short suspense dates for all security investigations. This created impossible workloads with impossible suspense dates. As our investigators began abandoning ship, those of us stupid enough to stick with it became burdened with work we could not possibly complete on time.

Also, there was the constant feeling of paranoia due to the threat of field note audits. Over the last couple of years, OPM decided our field notes should have of the structure and consistency of a novella. It is the common view of OPM that any schmuck should be able to retrieve our field notes and reconstruct an entire security investigation by merely reading our notes. With time constraints and other investigations to complete, it is completely obvious to any field investigator that field notes can only be a "help" when typing up the details of an interview. For these notes to be anything else would require each reference interview and Subject-of-Investigation interview to take hours on end. This is not possible due to the demands of the job. Still, one must live in constant fear as OPM and your company constantly remind you that your work can be audited at any time. Tactics such as this would make an IRS agent proud.

Upper management: You stink. USIS stinks. The U.S. Government created this monopoly and dishonest and incompetent leadership destroyed this company after only 18 years. Advice to Management: Please stay away from KeyPoint and CACI. Find another line of work. Let these competitors destroy themselves.

Furloughed with no truthful communication coming from management

Current Employee - Field Investigator
    Current Employee - Field Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company vehicle, work from your home. Ability to meet interesting people in day to day investigation interviews. Company paid cell phone and vacation time is okay.

Cons

Where to start: Terrible top management that have zero communication skills. No concern whatsoever for the employees; bottom line driven with no eye on the longer view. Always crying about no money to give decent raises or promotions.This company is a mess and I am not sure they are viable in the future if they don't recognize the internal trouble and make positive moves to get this thing out of the ditch. Keypoint is circling this wounded company like a great white shark taking bites at will. Allegations of case dumping, Federal Grand Jury and DOJ Investigations, Congressional hearings, OIG Investigations that report back to OPM and Congress about all of this and now the cyber-hack that occurred has cast yet another long shadow on this company. Not sure how much more of this negative activity the company can brush out and still survive..

They could care less about hearing advice or comments.

Investigator

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pros were steady work, rewarding work, and a paycheck.

Cons

Furlough means no work or paycheck. The worst is the unknown as employees, (all hardworking and dedicated) are left in the dark. No news usually means good news, but in this case who knows. Will be be back to work, and if so when ??

If the ship is sinking, please left us know, so that we too can plan.

Don't feel valued as an employee

I have been working at US Investigations Services

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home, company car. If you do your job well you don't have to have much contact with supervisor or upper mgmt.

Cons

Case load and time lines unrealistic. Hard to get promoted. Investigators and reviewers seem like they cannot work together to produce a quality case. Investigators have been on furlough for 23 days...Some unpaid due to no more vacation time.

The way the furlough is being handled is ridiculous. No communication from upper management. Only emails stating company is still in business...just not the investigators.