US Investigations Services

Updated March 1, 2015
1.8

US Investigations Services President and CEO Sterling Phillips
Sterling Phillips

Pros
  • Work from home: even your commute to appointments is included in your work day (in 71 reviews)

• You have the ability for a very flexible schedule, work mostly independently (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no way to get answers because upper management won't communicate (in 25 reviews)

• The work load is high and the due dates (ACDs) are insanely compressed (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Former investigator for 10 + years.

Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Investigator in Hampton, VA

I have been working at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, flexible hours, fleet vehicle, PTO, streamlined processes. After USIS lost the OPM contract, investigators had to find new employers. Doing the same work for other companies, one realizes, while not perfect, the company was ahead of their competitors in terms of automated/streamlined investigator support (manifesting, help lines, etc)

Cons

Work/life balance - by the end I was working 7 days a week and consistently on over-time. Greed got the better of this company -- and it wasn't INVESTIGATORS -- management and reviewers are the components under investigation in the DOJ suit.

I was hoping your competitors would learn their lesson from USIS -- they haven't. They are both fixated on production, not quality. All of these companies are driven by "its a business" mentality -- yes, it's a business but the business is NATIONAL SECURITY background investigations. Bottom line: Quality should always trump Production.

Great experience from 2003 until 2008 when they invented that terrible system that treated employees terrible.

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company Car, details all over the US and per diem. Use to be the best job ever/

Cons

Everything from 2008 on.

No advice, we employees gave you advice for years but you did not listen. By not listening to your employees and caring about them led your organization to going out of business and defrauding our country's national security programs.

Undone by past management.

Former Employee - Investigator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Investigator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Industry leader. Communication and policy progress. Vacation benefits.

Cons

Previous management infractions cost Usis its largest Fed contract. Lack of support from Feds closed down its division.

Too late.

Bad communication in the management ranks and bad pay to go with it.

I have been working at US Investigations Services

Pros

It's a paycheck (even thought they don't take into consideration the metro area you work in - keep in mind everyone has degrees, already had clearances and most of us have a crap load of experience in warzones).

Cons

management, pay, and the company had no credibility thanks to some crappy background investigators. That ruined it for everyone else that worked for the organization.

Vet your people better; if you paid better, you might get better quality of people, too.

Disappointed

I worked at US Investigations Services

Pros

Large Company with a lot of solid processes under the belt - all now gone to the wayside

Cons

Doors are closed and opportunities gone

none

Good Company to work for.

I have been working at US Investigations Services

Pros

Fun job with lots of interaction with customers.

Cons

Company tries to cut hours and increases the work load across the rest of the employees, Benefits are really expensive to the point they are not affordable for an inividual or family.

Very stressful for hypothetical "fun" job

I worked at US Investigations Services

Pros

Work from home; coworkers are very professional and supportive.

Cons

The company's insistance on utilizing non-exempt hourly pay model does not fit within the nature of the work or the impossible Anticipated Completion dates set for employees. On top of that, add constant threats regarding falsifying your time sheet. It is difficult to find job satisfaction when you are held responsible for things mostly outside of your control.

background investigator

Former Employee - Background Investigator in Groton, CT
    Former Employee - Background Investigator in Groton, CT

I worked at US Investigations Services

Pros

work from home, flexible hours, nice co workers

Cons

terrible culture. did not care about work like balance. impossible to get a raise.

dont do stuff that gets in investigated by the DOJ... what you already did.

It was OK.

Former Employee - Field Investigator

I worked at US Investigations Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Field Investigator position: Reasonable pay, fleet vehicle, company provided all equipment necessary for working from home. Helpline available to answer questions from field investigators. Good benefits.

Cons

Workload could be unreasonable. HR department's competence/capability was questionable. Working from home could be tiresome and lonely, and made it difficult to sustain enthusiasm or motivation after a few years. Company has since lost a major contract, assume work is now much scarcer.

Highly demanding

I worked at US Investigations Services

Pros

Being able to work from home and create your own schedule.

Cons

I have extremely high standards of myself, and I felt defeated at the end of every single day. The work load was impossible to keep up with because of the pressure from management to complete more and more cases. I was always assigned more work in a week than I was able to complete, and the same went for every other employee I knew. Management knew this and did not care. I was very good at this job but never got any recognition for it. The stress was simply not worth it.

Treat employees like humans, not machines.