US Jesco

usjesco.com

US Jesco Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Jay Spalding

Pros
  • During the holiday season, you can really make a lot of money(in 4 reviews)

• Opportunity to make a lot of money in november and december because of christmas(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't sell product you don't make any money at all(in 6 reviews)

• Very important: INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR MEANS THE COMPANY OWES YOU NOTHING AND YOU HAVE NO EMPLOYEE RIGHTS(in 7 reviews)

You take the good with the bad

Sales Agent (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt is a wonderful opportunity for actors and performance professionals to stay fresh and utilize their abilities. They work on scripts and although it is pretty set, there is some opportunity to add your own personality. You are on your feet throughout your scheduled shifts, which is great for your health. You get to meet a lot of new people. During the holiday season, you can really make a lot of money. If you have a good support system locally, you have the opportunity to hone your skills and make more money than troubleshooting on your own.

ConsYou really rely on the cleanliness and thoughtfulness of the crew member working prior to your shift. If they are sloppy or don't clean the counter or the tools you work with, you may have some work cut out for yourself just setting up your space. After the holidays are over, the money slows down quite a bit. It can be very frustrating at times. Because you're on your feet all day, there are lots of sore muscles and joints by the end of your shift.

Poor management that expects you to work like an employee while they treat you like a contractor.

Agent/Product Specialist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe pay is good if you're good at selling and pitching the products. You get to work on your own and choose your pace and your goals. Holiday season is very lucrative.

ConsThe team leaders are not organized and don't care to help you succeed. They lie about how the team is doing as a whole. No base pay so if you don't sell, you've worked for free. They pay on a 1099 and you end up owing the government a lot of money. They don't really listen when you request specific days off. Not everyone carries their weight, so you may end up cleaning someone's mess from the day before and losing time to do your demos.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more incentives and benefits like paying for public transit cards. Treat your agents with respect. Have some organization and communication about what is needed at the booths.

Interesting and in a good way.

ProsI came upon US Jesco through an online ad and scheduled an interview. The hiring process was pretty stress free. I was given a script and allowed 6 days to memorize. Although daunting, I did it. Training was intense (as it was stated) but fun at the same time. I have a sales/retail background and found many of the tricks and fundamentals taught went outside the work environment. These are things I'll use in my everyday life. Once I finished training and was on my own, the job started to click. They provide an excellent support system for anyone struggling. It helped me a lot. The money did not come at first but once I was comfortable with being on the box and pitching, applying the fundamentals and using my people skills to read an audience, it happened. This is a job that requires you to work (I know, I know all jobs require work) in order to succeed.

ConsAlthough mentioned - driving can be an issue depending on how far the store is from your house. There have been a few times I've had to drive through bad traffic and it took awhile to get to the job site. On these occasions, the day seemed long factoring in the travel time. The pro about this is that the stores I worked in this driving range were big money makers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Top Management with Ethics to Match

Director of Retail Promotions (Former Employee)

ProsIf you can manage to put up with your pay being consistently late or inaccurate, and can stick around long enough there are travel opportunities. But... you have to pay for everything. They pay for nothing and expect you to just foot the bill for their company expenses.

ConsOh... where to start!
    This company is absolutely horrible.
    To set the record straight I worked as an agent, production driver, trainer, and Director. I never once called in sick to work, I showed up early and left late. I was great at sales and for the most part, took home a pretty decent commission check when I worked as a sales agent.
    However when I went into management, there is no base pay, you are on call 7 days a week, they absolutely will not compensate you for extra work not specified in your employee agreement, such as driving the delivery truck which will usually eat up 30% of your work week if your efficient at it. Next is training... which by the way is a total joke with this company. If you are a manager they will have you do anywhere between 1-3 days of in-house training. Which in short is just the manager reading the company policies to you and going over your contract, "Oh btw their contract is completely illegal and invalid, just ask any state labor board and they will agree". So after the in-house training you will work with the sales reps in a store for about 15 hours a day for the next week or so. Spoiler alert! they will not pay you a dime for all these hours or give you a dime of trainer commission from these new hires, yet they still will not pay the new hires their full commission. So be prepared to work a ridiculous number of hours each week for less than minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who actually know how to run a company and actually do some work instead of going through such extremes to completely screw over and take advantage of every employee you have.

New Programs and New products - Exciting Times

Sales Agent (Current Employee)

ProsJesco has brought in a few new programs with different compensation packages and new products. This year has been full of opportunity and I am excited to see what else they have to bring to the table this year. v

ConsI would like to see more training on the newer products and shorter scripts.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career paths for the sales teams and if we can make the expansion into Australia I want to be there!

Love my new Jesco family !!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsI believe everything happens for a reason. When laid off from my previous job I couldn't understand why if it was such a great company. A few months ago I was hired by US Jesco and realized this is the reason why. When working for Jesco I truly feel part of a team. Things might get crazy at times in the office but its only normal because we are a family. I feel that I can go to Leslie when needed and enjoy working with everyone at the corporate office. I feel blessed with the opportunity i was given by US Jesco.

ConsPrincess (office cat) likes to eat our plants

Think about the kind of person who says anyone with a complaint is an addict or a loser

Sales Agent (Former Employee)

ProsREALLY good public speaking experience. Good experience managing a crowd (they can be challenging at times, when you get an audience member who wants to steal the audience's attention).
    When I worked there, I wasn`t bothered by management too much, so I could take a break when I needed to (but you don't want to take breaks because the more presentations you do, the more you sell... and even the trainer found our market to be hard to sell to).

ConsI had to assemble product (not paid for this time).
    Difficult products to sell (not high quality and questionable high-pressure sales tactics).
    Going to different locations can be a pro and a con. You get to meet a lot of new people. But you have to get used to a new environment each week, and the travel can eat into your pay and be far away from home.
    I think most people who have written bad reviews have done so because the company misled them. It is not an acting job, and I saw actors walk out of the `audition` once they found out it was a high-pressure, commission-based sales job and that they had been lied to. People don't like being lied to.
    Management appears to be disorganized, and this is apparent even in the interview or `audition.` Just show up and pay close attention, you will see what I mean.

A few things are clear when reading these reviews. It's clear that the good reviews are posted mainly by management. It's also clear that you guys are bullies. I hope it is clear to other readers. When an employee has a legitimate concern and you call them addicts, thieves and losers, that reflects poorly on YOU. Only a naive child would be fooled by your reviews. I'm sure there are SOME people who tried to take advantage and cried about it after. But I also know that nobody in my training group stayed. NOBODY. When I tried to warn new trainees about the reality of the job, management asked me to keep my mouth shut (which is fair enough, I suppose). So these aren`t just people hiding behind the computer. We HAVE spoken up and used our names, and we are still talked down to like we're stupid to have a concern about how unethically you run your business. Also, a good BBB rating really means nothing. I have investigated terrible companies who somehow manage to have a good rating. I don't know how they do that, but the BBB is just one way to look into a company, I would still look farther.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have the potential for a good business. You PAY to train your sales people, so it doesn't make sense why you would treat them so terribly. It COSTS you money when you are abusive to your sales team. Treat people fairly and the good ones will shine and the ones who aren't cut out for it will move on or be let go.

Your negative, bullying attitude is NOT making you money. Treat people well, help them do a good job and they will make you money and you won`t have to train a new group ever 2 months, because you will have a good, strong team that sticks around. It would also probably make you more money if you paid for travel expenses for 'anchor out' gigs. It might cost you a bit more upfront, but you are going to keep your people happy and they will probably make more sales when they feel confident and aren't desperate to make a sale just so they can pay for their gas and hotel.

They will disparage you if you leave

Professional Demonstrator (Former Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsIf you are GREAT at it, you can make some good money

ConsI knew a guy who WAS great at it, he was #2 in sales in THE WORLD, not just his region - and they overworked and broke him and left him desolate. They also made it IMPOSSIBLE for him to move forward - crap product, no booth prep, delayed pay, etc. Even if you are dedicated you still lose.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to the people who succeed in sales and be open to CHANGING your approach! You lost a star. Don't sit here and say - only the losers leave! No -sometimes the winners do, too.

By far US Jesco is the most innovative and challenging employment I had have!

Warehouse Associate/CDL Driver (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsUS Jesco is the most innovative and challenging employer I
     have ever worked for ! I have been employed at US Jesco for the last 4 years. At US Jesco
    everyday is a learning experience. Motivated hard working individuals
    will receive great opportunities to advance within the company.

ConsFast paced and unpredictable from one minut to the next
    ( I love it ) should be a pro,not a con!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook and find new and old innovative products.
    Stay away from individuals that have let US Jesco
    Down.

Greatest place to work!!

Office Manager (Current Employee) Carrollton, TX

ProsThis company works for those who want to do things the right way. They are a fair company. I have worked here since 2005 and I love my Job and the people I work with. I have a great Boss. I started with this company 9 years ago as a receptionist and have worked up to being the Office Manger/ Logistics. My job is very challenging and love it that way. Never a dull moment.

ConsTrying to stay caught up with an ever growing industry.

Worked for US Jesco? Contribute to the Community!