US Joint Chiefs of Staff

Be The First To
Add Photos

US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Profile Picture General Martin E. Dempsey

Profile Picture General Martin E. Dempsey

Tremendous opportunities for success but limited by lack of leadership, innovation and decision making

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe best and brightest in the military at the action officer level. Exceptionally motivated personnel, hard working and smart. The brightest people the military can find.

ConsLack of clear guidance. Senior leadership is overwhelmed because of inability to push decision making down to SMEs. Decisions are centrally controlled and the bright minds/idea people are crushed by micromanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have the best minds in the military. Let them perform and execute without stringent oversight. If a new idea comes up, support it, nurture it and move it forward.

Good place to learn the bigger picture

Action Officer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsYou get the opportunity to work on a variety of high-level issues. It's a fast-paced environment, but you have some control over the work/life balance. Everyone at this level is very talented and experienced which makes for a great learning environment.

ConsSometimes the pace of decision-making is glacial. You could end up working an issue that won't come to fruition for many, many years.

Excellent

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Suffolk, VA

ProsBeing on the cusp of technologies a policies affecting DoD

ConsBeurocracy and red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementHonesty and compassion as RIFS and cuts transpire

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally positive. But short corporate memory, limited resources

ProsWe have a huge impact on the functioning of the DOD. We advise on all manner of problems from resources to strategy to personnel. What the JCS contributes is taken very seriously and the people I work with are among the best in their respective fields.

ConsCivilians are second class citizens on the JCS. We are rarely rarely given leadership roles and are frequently second-guessed. It's not a matter of disrespect - I believe my coworkers believe I am smart and capable, but rather that the organization is focused on military careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must find ways to get more resources. Arguing over a matter of a $300 conference fee for a professional employee is ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that the JCS is THIS cash starved, even under sequestration. I don't have the software to do my job - so I write my own VBA code to get it done!

Great professional military staff to work with

Senior Military Officer (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsFantastic co-workers; Services send their best officers. The civilians are great as well and provide the essential continuity.

ConsContinued possibility of less structure but no reduction in the work.

Long hours for the action officers.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to acknowledge the contributions of your subordinates - it does matter.

Policy and Strategy Planner, Country Desk Officer

Policy and Strategy Planner, Country Desk Officer (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsDeveloping and analyzing policy in a fast paced environment is enjoyable, especially when you are able to see your work become source material for decisions at the highest levels of government.

ConsLong hours. The downsizing of the staff has resulted in more work than can be accomplished by the assigned personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefend an increase in the number of assigned personnel at the Joint Staff.

The ultimate military staff

Planner (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsBetter than most military staffs at moving people where they contribute best
    You get the best leaders from every Service
    Top-notch IT systems

ConsGood leaders expect a lot from subordinates
    "Weekends mean you can work in civvies."
    One boss: "The first six months you'll feel like you're drowning in sand. After that, you won't mind drowning in sand."

Advice to Senior ManagementStay open to what your field-grade officers think -- they are there because they can think.

Joint Staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou will have the opportunity to work on important national security issues, interact with top-notch people from across the government, and contribute to the security of the United States.

ConsThe job call for long hours, frequent travel, and limited recognition for your work. You will also have to work in the Pentagon.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide unvarnished advice to executive leadership, know when to say "no" to dumb ideas, and be willing to take risk.

Sounds better than it is

Washington, DC

ProsYou can see the big strategic picture

Conshuge, vertical structures, slow to change

Advice to Senior Managementemploy personnel according to their abilities, not their rank

Worked for US Joint Chiefs of Staff? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Joint Chiefs of Staff reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Joint Chiefs of Staff CEO Profile Picture General Martin E. Dempsey. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by US Joint Chiefs of Staff employees.