US Joint Chiefs of Staff Reviews

US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Profile Picture General Martin E. Dempsey
Profile Picture General Martin E. Dempsey

1. Deputy Director

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment. Fantastic leadership across the board. Great deal of autonomy. Opportunities to work with a wide variety of organizations across the Executive Branch, including military, civilian, and contractors.

Cons

Rotating shifts could be troublesome. Commute was always a bear, but then again, it's DC, what can one expect? Transit subsidy helped ease the pain a bit, but can't quite make up for all the time in transit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Keep fighting the good fight. Staff work is certainly a grind, but at this level the process remains critically important, and shortcuts, while tempting, end up creating more work in the long run. I certainly appreciate the opportunity.

2. Collaborative, Collegial Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working alongside a team of professionals who are truly dedicated to our nation's defense. Great opportunity to learn about and from other military and civilian "organizational cultures".

Cons

Civilian upward mobility is somewhat limited due to the high retention rate and relatively small number of positions available. Long hours are typical -- often includes weekends depending on office.

3. Great group of professionals

I have been working at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small group compared to the Pentagon

Cons

Vestige of JFCOM, almost no GS hiring until they complete the downsize

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your workers

5. Political/Military Planner a.k.a. Action Officer

Former Employee - Political-Military Planner A K A Action Officer in Arlington, VA

I worked at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interagency experience Participation and influence in strategic level decision making Finest staff officers in the world Due to working in a classified environment, not much work goes home with you Access to Pentagon Athletic Center

Cons

Work- life balance Three year assignment DC cost of living and commute Long hours

Advice to Management

Continue to allow the services to provide their best and brightest

6. Tremendous opportunities for success but limited by lack of leadership, innovation and decision making

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best and brightest in the military at the action officer level. Exceptionally motivated personnel, hard working and smart. The brightest people the military can find.

Cons

Lack of clear guidance. Senior leadership is overwhelmed because of inability to push decision making down to SMEs. Decisions are centrally controlled and the bright minds/idea people are crushed by micromanagement.

Advice to Management

You have the best minds in the military. Let them perform and execute without stringent oversight. If a new idea comes up, support it, nurture it and move it forward.

7. Good place to learn the bigger picture

Current Employee - Action Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Action Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get the opportunity to work on a variety of high-level issues. It's a fast-paced environment, but you have some control over the work/life balance. Everyone at this level is very talented and experienced which makes for a great learning environment.

Cons

Sometimes the pace of decision-making is glacial. You could end up working an issue that won't come to fruition for many, many years.

8. Excellent

Current Employee - IT Manager in Suffolk, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Suffolk, VA

I have been working at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Being on the cusp of technologies a policies affecting DoD

Cons

Beurocracy and red tape

Advice to Management

Honesty and compassion as RIFS and cuts transpire

9. Generally positive. But short corporate memory, limited resources

I have been working at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time

Pros

We have a huge impact on the functioning of the DOD. We advise on all manner of problems from resources to strategy to personnel. What the JCS contributes is taken very seriously and the people I work with are among the best in their respective fields.

Cons

Civilians are second class citizens on the JCS. We are rarely rarely given leadership roles and are frequently second-guessed. It's not a matter of disrespect - I believe my coworkers believe I am smart and capable, but rather that the organization is focused on military careers.

Advice to Management

You must find ways to get more resources. Arguing over a matter of a $300 conference fee for a professional employee is ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that the JCS is THIS cash starved, even under sequestration. I don't have the software to do my job - so I write my own VBA code to get it done!

10. Great professional military staff to work with

Current Employee - Senior Military Officer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Military Officer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers; Services send their best officers. The civilians are great as well and provide the essential continuity.

Cons

Continued possibility of less structure but no reduction in the work. Long hours for the action officers.

Advice to Management

Continue to acknowledge the contributions of your subordinates - it does matter.

11. Policy and Strategy Planner, Country Desk Officer

Current Employee - Policy and Strategy Planner, Country Desk Officer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at US Joint Chiefs of Staff full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Developing and analyzing policy in a fast paced environment is enjoyable, especially when you are able to see your work become source material for decisions at the highest levels of government.

Cons

Long hours. The downsizing of the staff has resulted in more work than can be accomplished by the assigned personnel.

Advice to Management

Defend an increase in the number of assigned personnel at the Joint Staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed