US Marine Corps

US Marine Corps Reviews in Camp Pendleton, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for(in 51 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments(in 125 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired(in 219 reviews)

230 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It has allowed mature well beyond my years.

School of Infantry (West) Motor Transport Maintenance Chief (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsThe Marine Corps will make a leader out of anyone. You'll gain intangible abilities that you might otherwise take years to acquire or perhaps never.

ConsIt's very physically and mentally demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe a manager who is able to push his employs to their full potential, make for the best manager or boss to work for. However, those managers need to have the tools to be able to make this happen. I've gained many tools for the Marine Corps. Knowing myself so I seek self improvement. Know my employs, so i can put them in the best position to succeed. My favorite is, Lead by example and they shall follow.

This is absolutely a lifestyle, not a job, and I am proud to have been a part!

Marine Corps Pilot (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsDiscipline, pride, knowledge and experience that I will keep with me for the rest of my life. Faced with multiple challenging scenarios that I will never encounter again. If you want to see yourself rise to the occasion and find ways to be successful with limited resources, this is the place for you. Absolutely not for the faint of heart!

ConsWork - life balance is very difficult. In certain positions, the amount a person is required to give makes it very difficult to find balance. Very little time in certain jobs, there is lots of turnover which makes it very difficult for consistency. Marines are constantly learning to be "OK" at multiple jobs rather than fantastic at one. I do understand the need for that though!

Foundation for future success

Infantry Squad Leader (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsYou learn a skill set in four or more years that can't be learned in the same amount of time in the civilian work force. You will be set up for success in any field you pursue. If you desire, you even get the GI Bill to help you achieve an education.

ConsVery challenging work environment if you are unwilling to put out for the greater good of your peers. It is becoming a more politically correct environment which may pose problems in future military conflicts. Promotions are slow in some fields, and you are not payed well until you hit your 4 year mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be politically correct, stop being scared to kick out those that don't embody what a US Marine is supposed to be. Keep up the dedication to our nations security.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Up and Downs

Arabic Linguist (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsUpward mobility, good benefits, relatively good pay, education opportunities, merit based promotion

ConsLong hours, dangerous assignments, little to know say in how/where you are employed, mentally and physically demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of weeding out the bad apples in the chain of command. A single poor leader can destroy productivity and moral throughout the entire chain. Promotion decisions at certain levels seem too political and not based enough on merit and past performance.

Infantry not for faint of heart

E4 - Marines - Corporal (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsDefinitely a life changing experience. Instills discipline and structure into young men's lives. The brotherhood found in the infantry is head and shoulders above anything you will ever find.

ConsNot much room for advancement past the first 4 year contract in the infantry field. Everyone I know that re-enlisted is out of the infantry now.

Quite an exciting career that seemingly ended too fast.

Aviation Electronics Technician (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsCamaraderie, friendships, travel, seeing the world, and being able to get anything accomplished regardless of the situation. Depending on your MOS (job), the work can be easy to extremely taxing. The promotion system works, but has flaws.

ConsThings have changed quite a bit over the last two decades. Handling things at the lowest level is getting a bit harder as time goes on. With the draw down, a lot of good Marines are not going to be able to continue their careers. With the politicians in D.C. making decisions from their cushy offices and behind closed doors, the political maneuverings of late have let a lot of military members doubting the 'guarantees' that were promised when they signed up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your subordinates and force the politicians to keep their word!!

An unmatched life experience (good or bad).

E4 - Marines - Corporal (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to have experiences that others pay to have, although your MOS (job) will dictate most of this. In 4 years I got to see over 14 countries, work with demolitions, ride in many helicopters and amphibious vehicles, and made friends who quickly became family. The discipline and hard work makes any job afterwards seem like a cakewalk.

ConsThe cons are vast on the enlisted side. To some people the Marine Corps may be thier best career choice but I would advise anyone with a better plan to get out after thier 4 years.

1. Your experience will be dictated tremendously by whomever is in charge of you. I got lucky with my leadership but I saw many good Marines whos life was made miserable simply because thier leadership was miserable. The longer you stay in the better chance you have of spending 3 years stuck in a situation like that.

2. The Marine Corps will always come first no matter how hard you try. A good leadership will allow you to leave work to for important personal things but if they want you there for something (often times for what seems like nothing) then you WILL be there. I am yet to be able to spend an anniversary or Valentine's day with my wife.

3. No matter how cool your job is it will quickly become mundane. At first my demolition ranges were the most exciting thing I had ever done. I never thought it could get old to blow things up all day in a field but there I was, sitting in a bunker while time fuse burnt, fantasizing about watching Law and Order with my wife.

4. At first your life will be micromanaged and then you will be expected to micromanage others. Your leadership is expected to advise you on every personal and financial choice you make. After that you will do the same for others and thier poor personal choices will be your responsibility.

5. Retention is at an all time low and good Marines are often times forced out due to a black and white system. I saw good Marines, who served frequently and honorably, not allowed to reenlist due to either technicalities or someone else's mistake. Also right now an NJP is pretty much a career ender. A 20 year old Marine, with 2 combat tours, causing no problems, can get caught drinking in the barracks which would get him an NJP. Now this small personal mistake will foreshadow his tremendous service to his country and the Marine Corps and his career will be haulted at that moment.

6. My biggest and most logical con is that the financial glass ceiling is very low. You will always make enough money to get by but never enough to become something bigger. If you plan to never get married then the money and lifestyle is not bad at all. Anyone who wants something bigger for thier family should look elsewhere. Even if the Marine Corps is your only route to college, and now you are 4 years deep in the Corps and 4 years behind the normal civilian track to success, and it seems like staying in makes the most sense at this point, your potential is still higher by getting out and going to school. If you did 4 years, got out, and went to school for 4 years, once that degree was done your starting salary at your job will probably be lower than the salary you would have had at your 8 year mark had you stayed in but your civilian career will quickly take you to beyond where the Marine Corps will. When you make the rank of SSGT most of your job is clerical anyway. You could be doing the same office work, with less hours and less stress, in the civilian world for more money.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe money is not good enough incentive to stay in. Make the Corps the kind of place that no one would want leave. I don't mean make it easy, soft, or nice, but make it a family where the deserving get an endless network of support. Right now it is just like any other bureaucrat coorperation that sucks it's employees dry, only you don't pay us squat for it.

The Few The Proud, The Marines

United States Marine (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsThe worlds finest military force, excluding U.S. Special Forces. The Marines Corps is what you make of it, if you take that attitude that you're going to do your 4 years and get the hell out you will be miserable. A very professional organization, unless you are deployed or preparing for a deployment then the hours are fairly normal 7am-4:30pm. Emphasis on leadership is constantly stressed. The Marine Corps does a great job of taking care of Marine families, each base has a robust day care center and after school program for children.
    If you are a leader, you work hard and maintain excellent physical fitness you will be promoted rapidly which means you will compensated financially at an above average rate.

ConsThe Marine Corps is an Expeditionary Force, when means when there's a crisis they are usually the first to be called upon to respond. Shipboard deployments are at least seven months long.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to fight for benefits and increases in salary for the Marines.

The Marine Corps treated me well. Time to move on.

Operations Chief (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsLeadership and career development. There are MANY great Senior Staff Non-commissioned Officers that take care of their Marines. Those are the ones I will miss the most.

ConsTypical bureaucracy and red tape. Too much faith and blind trust put in poor leaders only because they are an officer.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to take care of the troops.

Company First Sergeant

United States Marine SNCO (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

Prospromotions, pay and benefits, teamwork

Consbeing away from family for long periods of time. moving every three years

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!