US Marine Corps

Updated Jul 21, 2014

4.2 1,936 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for(in 51 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments(in 125 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired(in 219 reviews)

1,936 Employee Reviews

Stepping Stone

Helicopter Mechanic (Current Employee)

ProsGood opportunity to excel in education and stills that you can use in a career after you get out.

ConsNo matter what your always going to have "That Guy" ruining any plan you try to make.

There were ups and downs but in the end it was an adventure

E4 - Marines - Corporal (Former Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC

ProsLearned many positive skills that helped me after I ended my service.. The benefits that are available are overlooked by most after your service but I encourage to utilize them and make the best of the sacrifices we made...

ConsAlways Moving was hard with stress making new friends and work colleagues, especially for the family.. Deploying was very stressful but rewarding..

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that the backbone of the Corps falls on the lower enlisted and being a leader doesn't mean harass and abuse your Marines but to lead by a different set of traits that they well pickup as they become senior enlisted..

Phenomenal, One of Kind Experience !!!

Marine Corp Enlisted (E7) (Former Employee) Quantico, VA

ProsThe lifestyle, the brotherhood, the sense of belonging and being part of the best fighting force in the World.

ConsCan be demanding on families due to constant deployment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfying and rewarding experience.

SNCOIC (Current Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC

ProsIt can be very rewarding to be apart of an organization that builds strong character. The level of managerial experience and training is excellent, especially if the SNCO level is attained. I have had individuals from the other service comment to me about the culture of brotherhood in the Marine Corps. The camaraderie is truly unmatched.

ConsThe amount of deployment and field operations can be stressful and time consuming. People can have an overbearing attitude and a level of expected respect and authority that can put off others and create a less than ideal work environment or relationship.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on moral values. Too many times officers can focus on what is wrong and blame enlisted vice accepting responsibility for lack of proper focus. Many officers can focus on their own career goals vice the Marine Corps and the personnel they are suppose to be in charge of.

Great formative Experience for the the rest of your life

E5 - Marines - Sergeant (Former Employee) Quantico, VA

ProsYou learn life lessons that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Once you become Marine, you enter a brotherhood forged in the blood of those that came before you, fight alongside you and come after you.

ConsCrap rolls down hill and the big green weenie doesn't discern between jerks and good marines. All the nonsense will make you stronger in the end.

Enjoyed my experience and would have done it for life had I been allowed to change jobs to do what I wanted.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsComraderie and life-long friendships, discipline, strength of mind, honor, courage and commitment are some of the best reasons to consider being a United States Marine.

ConsWhen you have a bad boss you can't just quit. That can be good or bad depending on you. Some guys don't make the most of a bad situation and end up just making it worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the politics. Be consistent in giving corrections and don't turn a blind eye to those who need one.

An amazing place to start a career, or continue a career.

Section Chief (Former Employee) M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

ProsFitness, Leadership, Mentorship, Job Training, Comradery, Discipline.

ConsHours and Mass punishment, then again it's the military.

whoraaaahhhh!

I Actually Left the Marines In 1977, Not 2010 As Stated Above (Former Employee)

Prosa great career for anyone who wants to stay fit, get on the job training, a college degree (paid for), see the world. meet like minded people

Conssome places of deployment are not so great

Challenging opportunities.

Contracting Officer (Current Employee) Quantico, VA

ProsMarines are world class operators. They know how to shoot, move and communicate. Most of all, they are very discipline and always faithful (I.e, Semper Fidelis).

ConsSupporting operations under budget constraints. Promotion is very competitive. Changing middle manager mindsets to try new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the younger generation whom are more technological savvy.

y

Prosmeh. its alright, depending on mos

Conseverything. my last unit sucked. CLB7 is the worst ever.

Advice to Senior Management-

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!