US Marine Corps

Updated Jul 22, 2014

4.2 1,942 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for(in 51 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments(in 125 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired(in 219 reviews)

1,942 Employee Reviews

Not a bad place.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and lots of benefits. A real opportunity for long lasting friendships.

ConsWork can be dull and boring at times.

Serving in the Corps

Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC

ProsMore learning than you will do anywhere else

ConsIt's the government, thats all

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the little guys handle the little things and worry about something else.

Company First Sergeant

United States Marine SNCO (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

Prospromotions, pay and benefits, teamwork

Consbeing away from family for long periods of time. moving every three years

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worth it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosmotivation, rah rah, benefits, travel

Constime consuming, communication, leadership, young & stupid

Political nonsense

Prosfun, challenging, had a good 8 years

ConsPolitical, officers care about themsleves more than the mission

An unmatched life experience (good or bad).

E4 - Marines - Corporal (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to have experiences that others pay to have, although your MOS (job) will dictate most of this. In 4 years I got to see over 14 countries, work with demolitions, ride in many helicopters and amphibious vehicles, and made friends who quickly became family. The discipline and hard work makes any job afterwards seem like a cakewalk.

ConsThe cons are vast on the enlisted side. To some people the Marine Corps may be thier best career choice but I would advise anyone with a better plan to get out after thier 4 years.

1. Your experience will be dictated tremendously by whomever is in charge of you. I got lucky with my leadership but I saw many good Marines whos life was made miserable simply because thier leadership was miserable. The longer you stay in the better chance you have of spending 3 years stuck in a situation like that.

2. The Marine Corps will always come first no matter how hard you try. A good leadership will allow you to leave work to for important personal things but if they want you there for something (often times for what seems like nothing) then you WILL be there. I am yet to be able to spend an anniversary or Valentine's day with my wife.

3. No matter how cool your job is it will quickly become mundane. At first my demolition ranges were the most exciting thing I had ever done. I never thought it could get old to blow things up all day in a field but there I was, sitting in a bunker while time fuse burnt, fantasizing about watching Law and Order with my wife.

4. At first your life will be micromanaged and then you will be expected to micromanage others. Your leadership is expected to advise you on every personal and financial choice you make. After that you will do the same for others and thier poor personal choices will be your responsibility.

5. Retention is at an all time low and good Marines are often times forced out due to a black and white system. I saw good Marines, who served frequently and honorably, not allowed to reenlist due to either technicalities or someone else's mistake. Also right now an NJP is pretty much a career ender. A 20 year old Marine, with 2 combat tours, causing no problems, can get caught drinking in the barracks which would get him an NJP. Now this small personal mistake will foreshadow his tremendous service to his country and the Marine Corps and his career will be haulted at that moment.

6. My biggest and most logical con is that the financial glass ceiling is very low. You will always make enough money to get by but never enough to become something bigger. If you plan to never get married then the money and lifestyle is not bad at all. Anyone who wants something bigger for thier family should look elsewhere. Even if the Marine Corps is your only route to college, and now you are 4 years deep in the Corps and 4 years behind the normal civilian track to success, and it seems like staying in makes the most sense at this point, your potential is still higher by getting out and going to school. If you did 4 years, got out, and went to school for 4 years, once that degree was done your starting salary at your job will probably be lower than the salary you would have had at your 8 year mark had you stayed in but your civilian career will quickly take you to beyond where the Marine Corps will. When you make the rank of SSGT most of your job is clerical anyway. You could be doing the same office work, with less hours and less stress, in the civilian world for more money.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe money is not good enough incentive to stay in. Make the Corps the kind of place that no one would want leave. I don't mean make it easy, soft, or nice, but make it a family where the deserving get an endless network of support. Right now it is just like any other bureaucrat coorperation that sucks it's employees dry, only you don't pay us squat for it.

fun, engaging

E5 - Marines - Sergeant (Current Employee)

Prosgreat friends, alot to learn

Consbad pay, very bad pay

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to treat ppl

Great at its best , miserable at its worst

Data Network Specialist (Current Employee)

Prosif you dont have any direction in what you want to do , they will give you one

Consbeing micro managed on just about everything

Great company

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGives real life experience and education just want employers look for

ConsIt's not always easy. But it's fun.

Join at your own risk

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC

Prostravel, meet different kinds of people

Consbeing treated like a child

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!