US Marine Corps

Updated Jul 22, 2014

4.2 1,942 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for(in 51 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments(in 125 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired(in 219 reviews)

1,942 Employee Reviews

Marine Corps

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent career advancement opportunities and the opportunity to develop yourself as a leader. The Marines will teach you how to handle different and difficult leadership challenges and make you a better decision maker.

ConsSporadic work schedule. Depending on what the current op-tempo is you will find yourself working late days and even weekends. Not enough family time.

Up and Downs

Arabic Linguist (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsUpward mobility, good benefits, relatively good pay, education opportunities, merit based promotion

ConsLong hours, dangerous assignments, little to know say in how/where you are employed, mentally and physically demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of weeding out the bad apples in the chain of command. A single poor leader can destroy productivity and moral throughout the entire chain. Promotion decisions at certain levels seem too political and not based enough on merit and past performance.

16 Years of Telecommunications work as the Wire chief.

Wire Chief (Current Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC

ProsHad a great opportunity to travel the world and learn strong leadership traits and work ethic.

ConsExcessive time away from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excruciatingly frustrating but rewarding at the same time.

E4 - Marines - Corporal (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC

ProsFull Medical for family and dental for you, 30 days vacation

ConsSome jobs have very little room for promotion which can hinder your chance of stay long enough to earn a retirement pension. Way too much paperwork involved for everything. Occasional 24 hour shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating everyone of a lower rank than you like they are children or boot a** recruits.

Commitment

Supervisor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsDiverse work environment
    Promotions really depend on the individual
    Great place to start working as a young adult
    30 days of leave per year? Can't beat that

ConsHours-You could work anywhere from 40-80 hrs a week. No additional compensation
    You can have great leaders or you can have "self absorbed, fitness report chasing, not a clue, doesn't set the example" leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementStop forcing out middle management and get rid of the "stagnant" senior leadership. Those should have been the first to go.

Hardcore

ProsProud to serve your country and meaningful work

ConsUncle sam comes first no matter what is going on in your life. Hurry up and wait.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the full court press on congress as they don’t even comprehend the struggle to make it a military family in 2014.

Great adventure if your up to the task

Embarkation Chief (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

Prosvalues and friendship, morale and leadership. fundamentals of an every day work environment. maturity.

Constime away from family, duties that will be inconvenient due to rank. fitness dictates your life vs job proficiency. the right way will always be the hard way regardless of how simple and obvious it is.

This is absolutely a lifestyle, not a job, and I am proud to have been a part!

Marine Corps Pilot (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsDiscipline, pride, knowledge and experience that I will keep with me for the rest of my life. Faced with multiple challenging scenarios that I will never encounter again. If you want to see yourself rise to the occasion and find ways to be successful with limited resources, this is the place for you. Absolutely not for the faint of heart!

ConsWork - life balance is very difficult. In certain positions, the amount a person is required to give makes it very difficult to find balance. Very little time in certain jobs, there is lots of turnover which makes it very difficult for consistency. Marines are constantly learning to be "OK" at multiple jobs rather than fantastic at one. I do understand the need for that though!

AWESOME

Infantry Squad Leader (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC

Prosbrotherhood, bonds, deployments, benefits, advancement

Conscontract, no perks, told what to do, not greatest family atmosphere

Foundation for future success

Infantry Squad Leader (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsYou learn a skill set in four or more years that can't be learned in the same amount of time in the civilian work force. You will be set up for success in any field you pursue. If you desire, you even get the GI Bill to help you achieve an education.

ConsVery challenging work environment if you are unwilling to put out for the greater good of your peers. It is becoming a more politically correct environment which may pose problems in future military conflicts. Promotions are slow in some fields, and you are not payed well until you hit your 4 year mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be politically correct, stop being scared to kick out those that don't embody what a US Marine is supposed to be. Keep up the dedication to our nations security.

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!