US Marine Corps

2,298 Reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos
General James F. Amos
1,086 Ratings

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 61 reviews)

• Great opportunity to see the world as you learn great skills for the outside world (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Significant time away from family and friends is a sacrifice you will have to make (in 148 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired (in 252 reviews)

More Highlights

Good chance at a career if above average and you punch the right tickets in your military occupational specialty (MOS).

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Marine Corps can build anyone with a sense of duty, pride in their work, and patience to navigate the rank structure into quite a formidable asset for any business after the military. The Marine Corps network is strong for those that toe the line, pull their weight, and maintain honor and integrity throughout their time in the Marine Corps. Outstanding travel opportunities and benefits are unmatched.

Cons

Significant and lengthy departure from the "typical" MOS path can seriously derail a Marine's chance at promotion, possibly a 20-year career. Generally, only top-performers that come back to their primary MOS will be selected if their MOS credibility is significantly weaker than their peers. This is especially tough for those selected to Naval Postgraduate School or other schools for non-MOS, advanced degrees. Marines must plan and coordinate with their career planner or monitor carefully, at least as best they can since "needs of the Marine Corps" take precedence, to make sure that they are back in their MOS long enough to be competitive for promotion boards.

Additional consideration should be given for Marines who become good "athletes" versus "position players". Well-rounded Marines who gain a breadth of experience can sometimes be just as, if not more, valuable as those that slug it out in their MOS their entire career. I've seen a number of outstanding Captains go off to NPS only to serve their payback in an analytical field and then separate because they were no longer competitive in their MOS.

Aircraft Mechanic

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic/Welder in Quantico, VA
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic/Welder in Quantico, VA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good future builder. Completed 5 years and bettered myself as a person. Wanted to continue but I did not want to stay on the east coast.

Cons

Moved around to much. Too many funding cuts and caused many supply's to be on hold. Pay was steady but just wasn't enough.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Infantry Team Leader in Camp Lejeune, NC
    Former Employee - Infantry Team Leader in Camp Lejeune, NC

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Marines mad me the man I am today. Great Comradery. Gives many of it's members confidence and leadership unattainable in many other industries.

Cons

Hard to change the way things are. Possible lengthy time from home and love ones. Senior enlisted should have a formal education requirement outside of required professional military education for more of a well rounded leader.

I loved being a Marine

Former Employee - Mortarmen in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - Mortarmen in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Marines mad me the man I am today and I would still be in the Marines if they were not doing cut backs at the time.

Cons

The core values of the Marines have slipped over the years.

The Marines need to go back to the way they were, the Marines of this new generation are smarter but they are weak emotionally.

Airframes Mech

Current Employee - E6 - Marines - Staff Sergeant in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI
    Current Employee - E6 - Marines - Staff Sergeant in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awsome work environment, Lot of good people and a feeling of belonging

Cons

Hard on your entire body.

None

Outstanding Career

Current Employee - E8 Master Seargeant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - E8 Master Seargeant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The ability to grow in profession and travel the world.

Cons

Possible lengthy time from home and love ones .

N/A

Captain, Infantry Officer

Former Employee - Infantry Officer in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - Infantry Officer in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get the opportunity to take on significant leadership early. Undoubtedly one of the proudest organizations in the world. As a Junior Military Officer in the Marines, your peer group will be absolutely incredible, without question some of the most initiative driven individuals I have ever met.

Cons

Organization does not innovate or change easily. Much of your flexibility will be in determining how to accomplish something leadership has already determined. Some of the strength in leadership (in my humble opinion) thins out after officers get 4-6 years out, and a lot of solid JMOs leave the military.

It was a life changing experience, that made me a better person.

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, brotherhood, structure and promotions.

Cons

That you have to leave it at some point.

All what you put into it...

Current Employee - First Lieutenant in Quantico, VA
    Current Employee - First Lieutenant in Quantico, VA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Can be very helpful in life skills and guidance if used properly. Gives many of it's members confidence and leadership unattainable in many other industries.

Cons

Can be a dog-eat-dog world filled with vulgarity and has the potential to make one feel like a number filling a void that can very easily be replaced when no longer the best fit.

Rollercoaster

Current Employee - Cyber Chief in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Employee - Cyber Chief in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unique training, camaraderie, high standards and holding each other to it, all the little things they teach us through Boot Camp can be applied outside of service to your personal/professional benefit. Places to go and things to do that most people will never be able to or know about. Last but not least, the title.

Cons

This expeditionary war-fighting institution is forced to be more politically correct and watering down it's standards so that everyone can be "happy", by the politicians is what bothers me the most. War isn't pretty, politically correct or happy, so those tree-huggers need to stay away from dictating how we train and fight. Ensuing, you may have leadership that can have questionable motives and impossible decisions to make, and that takes away from fairness and firmness....

I don't think it's possible, but the lobbyists that are pushing for changes in our standards need to go away/be prevented from doing that, somehow...