US Marine Corps Reviews

2,154 Reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos
General James F. Amos
1,014 Ratings

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 60 reviews)

• Great opportunity to see the world as you learn great skills for the outside world (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Significant time away from family and friends is a sacrifice you will have to make (in 144 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired (in 238 reviews)

More Highlights

Semper Fi

Current Employee - E4 - Marines - Corporal
    Current Employee - E4 - Marines - Corporal

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The value of team work, leadership and self discipline
    when the team is in a stressful situation.
    For the benefit of the team and the objective.
    Leadership training was the greatest benefit. Until I completed my B.S. in Tech Management,
    my experience in the business world lead me to ask a question many time's...
    I have learned that they do discuss leadership and traits.

Cons

Many in the business world understand the words, but do not understand the extent that this can go and the benefited to the business world.
    Tougher than the Business World.

Keep adapting to our culture.
    Be open about the mistakes of leadership.
    Keep being a leader of Diversity
    Semper Fi

Outstanding

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Esprit de Corps is amazing and true.
    Life experience
    You get the feeling of doing something great.

Cons

Hard work but is worth it.
    Long hours on some days.

Adventure awaits, for those who can accept the call.

I have been working at US Marine Corps part-time

Pros

Fun times, shooting big guns, PT, getting in great shape. Always having interesting and inappropriate things to talk about with your fellow Marines. Camaraderie to be found nowhere else in the world, and I mean nowhere.

Cons

Hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait...bad leadership which is rare but not rare enough. You may sacrifice many things for this job, up to and including your life.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disbursing

I worked at US Marine Corps

Pros

Honor, Courage, and Commitment. You always have a sense of pride when working in the Marines. No matter what you are doing, know you are doing a great thing. The benefits are amazing!!

Cons

A lot of times you wont know it until the day of that you will be working a long day. Its hard to plan anything after work because you never know if you will be working late or not

Let your NCOs run the job, don't micro manage so much.

A great organization to be a part of.

Current Employee - Meteorological and Oceanographic Officer  in  Keesler AFB, MS
    Current Employee - Meteorological and Oceanographic Officer in Keesler AFB, MS

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, great training, great benefits and very good pay and probably one of the best retirement programs available today. I have served for over 29 years and have been many places and had many experiences that I wouldn't have had with any other job. The pride that I feel for serving my country is hard to describe. You will have to maintain a much higher degree of physical fitness than most jobs will require and have free access to many facilities and activities to help you maintain the level of fitness as well as given time during your work hours to exercise. The organization really looks out for its people and their welfare. The required leadership and professional development training is probably the best that you can get. The variety of duties available can keep you from

Cons

The job isn't for everyone. I have worked many nights, weekends, holidays and spent long periods away from home and my family. The physical toll on the body is pretty bad when you get older. I have bad knees, bad feet and a bad back from many years of running in boots, long forced marches and other very demanding physical activities. You have to maintain height and weight standards and physical fitness requirements until the day you get out which for many people today is difficult. You are held to a much higher degree of conduct that can have much worse punishment if you don't maintain them than most employers can hold you to. Sometimes the bureaucracy can drive you mad with inefficiencies and slow to no rate of progress when trying to get something done although the higher you get in rank the bureaucracy gets easier to navigate. Sometimes the Marine Corps can waste a lot of time on stupid classes on things like smoking cessation, suicide awareness, human trafficking, etc... that accomplish little except for maybe the most junior of Marines.

For me promotions came at a good rate and I have no complaints about pay or benefits. As long as you do everything required for you and you do your duties well you will most likely be promoted fairly regularly. While junior Marines don't make a lot of money, I believe that they do usually do better than most of their civilian peers. Once you make the rank of Staff Sergeant the pay is good and gets exponentially better with each promotion. Additionally there are annual cost of living pay increases and longevity pay raises after every two years of service. Every job and duty station in the Marine Corps is different and requires different levels of time and commitment. I have spent many hours at work or many months away from family while deployed, but I've also had duty stations where I worked regular hours of 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. for years. When at home many Marines have federal holidays and weekends off. Often they have 4 days off during federal holidays. On the other hand, many Marines work during weekends and holidays so time off is very dependant on the job and duties at the time.

Best branch of U.S. Armed Forces

Former Employee - Supply Officer  in  Twentynine Palms, CA
    Former Employee - Supply Officer in Twentynine Palms, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best training available to leaders and future leaders

Cons

Very competitive, if you are hungry, anything is possible

Marine Officer

Former Employee - Marine Corps Officer  in  Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - Marine Corps Officer in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are put in positions of responsibility right away. Expect to ask questions of your peers who are slightly senior. Remember to trust your enlisted leaders and give them responsibilities.

Cons

The officers and leaders you see on TV, in movies, and meet at TBS are not all over the fleet. Get ready to meet bad leaders here and there.

Those leaders who are selfish need to be identified and weeded out. Find those officers who are kissing butts and remove them because they care more about their career than their Marines.

Outstanding!

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The leadership and personal growth.

Cons

The pay is not equal to the civilian sector.

The old corps in gone; grow, involve and respect all ranks. Loose- leadership by demand and try to truly lead by educating and example. Remember who really are the backbone and the front line- they know more about what they need and what they do currently. Leaders should be judged (among other things) by the growth and success of their subordinates months after the leaders have left.

Active Duty Service Members

Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Mechanic  in  Cherry Point, NC
    Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Mechanic in Cherry Point, NC

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing benefits has a lot of opportunities if traveling is something your into the Marines can be a great way to get out and see the world. Great leadership and has a community that look out for their own it has been a great kick start to my career and help pursue my educational goals. Only 1% of Americans decide to enlist in the military that being said you get a sense of pride and accomplishment that is second to NONE.

Cons

Work environment is different from the typical companies you've worked for in the past. Rigid atmosphere sometimes, and demands a lot out of your body. A lot of cutbacks... and depending on your job/MOS it can have long hours.

I'm still young I don't feel as if I have had enough knowledge or experience in the work force or other companies to be giving advice.

Risky but worth it if you play your cards right

Former Employee - Electro Optic Ordanance Technician
    Former Employee - Electro Optic Ordanance Technician

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many opportunities are available . Finiancial , job and networking

Cons

Can be difficult to go up the rank when there is favoritism

Supervise don't ever assume. Build a work related relationship

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!