US Marine Corps

Updated Jul 24, 2014

4.2 1,945 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for(in 51 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments(in 125 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired(in 219 reviews)

1,945 Employee Reviews

"Lack of TRUE leadership"

0411 (Former Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC

ProsIf you can apply what you learn in Bootcamp, MOS School, and beyond to your day to day life you will succeed your peers in every aspect of life before the age of 25.

ConsLeadership varies tremendously and results in whirlwind of issues from troop welfare, pay issues, kids getting married for the added pay and then the wives causing issues for the command, and so on. Small unit leadership is lacking in todays Corps.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe thinning out of the Corps can't come soon enough. Promotions shouldn't hinge on the lackluster performance amplified by a self written FITREP or an easily obtainable cutting score that gives you 2 year NCO's and 5-6 year Staff NCO's.

It has allowed mature well beyond my years.

School of Infantry (West) Motor Transport Maintenance Chief (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsThe Marine Corps will make a leader out of anyone. You'll gain intangible abilities that you might otherwise take years to acquire or perhaps never.

ConsIt's very physically and mentally demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe a manager who is able to push his employs to their full potential, make for the best manager or boss to work for. However, those managers need to have the tools to be able to make this happen. I've gained many tools for the Marine Corps. Knowing myself so I seek self improvement. Know my employs, so i can put them in the best position to succeed. My favorite is, Lead by example and they shall follow.

USMC love

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat life experiences, great training environment. They look out for your best interests.

ConsTime away from family. Pay can be subpar compared to civilian jobs but is guaranteed unlike most jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really, you guys know what you are doing and I commend you for that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marine Corps

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent career advancement opportunities and the opportunity to develop yourself as a leader. The Marines will teach you how to handle different and difficult leadership challenges and make you a better decision maker.

ConsSporadic work schedule. Depending on what the current op-tempo is you will find yourself working late days and even weekends. Not enough family time.

16 Years of Telecommunications work as the Wire chief.

Wire Chief (Current Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC

ProsHad a great opportunity to travel the world and learn strong leadership traits and work ethic.

ConsExcessive time away from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Excruciatingly frustrating but rewarding at the same time.

E4 - Marines - Corporal (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC

ProsFull Medical for family and dental for you, 30 days vacation

ConsSome jobs have very little room for promotion which can hinder your chance of stay long enough to earn a retirement pension. Way too much paperwork involved for everything. Occasional 24 hour shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating everyone of a lower rank than you like they are children or boot a** recruits.

Commitment

Supervisor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsDiverse work environment
    Promotions really depend on the individual
    Great place to start working as a young adult
    30 days of leave per year? Can't beat that

ConsHours-You could work anywhere from 40-80 hrs a week. No additional compensation
    You can have great leaders or you can have "self absorbed, fitness report chasing, not a clue, doesn't set the example" leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementStop forcing out middle management and get rid of the "stagnant" senior leadership. Those should have been the first to go.

This is absolutely a lifestyle, not a job, and I am proud to have been a part!

Marine Corps Pilot (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsDiscipline, pride, knowledge and experience that I will keep with me for the rest of my life. Faced with multiple challenging scenarios that I will never encounter again. If you want to see yourself rise to the occasion and find ways to be successful with limited resources, this is the place for you. Absolutely not for the faint of heart!

ConsWork - life balance is very difficult. In certain positions, the amount a person is required to give makes it very difficult to find balance. Very little time in certain jobs, there is lots of turnover which makes it very difficult for consistency. Marines are constantly learning to be "OK" at multiple jobs rather than fantastic at one. I do understand the need for that though!

AWESOME

Infantry Squad Leader (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC

Prosbrotherhood, bonds, deployments, benefits, advancement

Conscontract, no perks, told what to do, not greatest family atmosphere

Foundation for future success

Infantry Squad Leader (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsYou learn a skill set in four or more years that can't be learned in the same amount of time in the civilian work force. You will be set up for success in any field you pursue. If you desire, you even get the GI Bill to help you achieve an education.

ConsVery challenging work environment if you are unwilling to put out for the greater good of your peers. It is becoming a more politically correct environment which may pose problems in future military conflicts. Promotions are slow in some fields, and you are not payed well until you hit your 4 year mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be politically correct, stop being scared to kick out those that don't embody what a US Marine is supposed to be. Keep up the dedication to our nations security.

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!