US Marine Corps Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
4.2
US Marine Corps Commandant Joseph F. Dunford, Jr.
Joseph F. Dunford, Jr.

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 64 reviews)

• Some great opportunities to see the world (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Being away from family on some holidays (in 149 reviews)

• Long hours or hurrying up to wait (in 256 reviews)

3,032 Employee Reviews

1. Active Marine

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love being a Marine and have done so for the last 20 years. I have learned how to be more self confidant and have developed great leadership skills.

Cons

I have traveled to many different area's but the deployments have taken time away from my family and I am ready to stay in one location.

2. United States Marine Corps

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time

Pros

Excellent community in a high-paced high-tempo team oriented work environment. While serving in this organization you will feel that the results of your daily efforts will matter to the overall success of the organization.

Cons

Deployment cycles and work tempo can be excessive which will impact family time. There are family programs to aid with alleviating some of the impacts and risks associated with this pace.

3. Occupational Field Specialist and Armor Advocate

Current Employee - Director of Personnel and Advocate in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Personnel and Advocate in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The US Marine Corps is designed around discipline, leadership, team work, espirit-de-corps and camaraderie. The passion for success in career progression is developed from the start. Brings together individuals from all walks of life with individuals morals and develops them into a unified body with newly defined organizational ethics.

Cons

Frequent travels all around the globe which provides less family time. Work in the most austere environments. Long hours if you are truly passionate and dedicated to mission accomplishment.

5. Awesome people

Former Employee - 0311 Rifleman in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - 0311 Rifleman in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brother hood, travel, different lifestyle than all other jobs.

Cons

None really, allot of stuff passed down that could be better, but other than that it's still a great opportunity.

Advice to Management

Needs a little more attention to lower ranked individuals.

6. Best decision of my life

Current Employee - Ammunition Technician in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Ammunition Technician in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at US Marine Corps (More than 3 years)

Pros

Joining the Marine Corps was hands down the best decision I've ever made. This will help you develop character as well as give you some of the strongest friendships you'll ever have.

Cons

There aren't many cons; standby to standby gets a little old but it is all part of the experience.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, the Marine Corps is great!

7. It depends on what MOS you go into

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on your MOS, you will get lots of experience in your field, as well as learn leadership skills and communication.

Cons

Long hours. Unpredictable schedule. You are literally at the will of your supervisors 24/7. You must uphold all standards, down to the most personal things, even on your off time.

Advice to Management

Management who acts in the best interest of their men, asks for and genuinely receives input from subordinates, and who keep subordinates informed are the best leaders.

8. Infantry

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time

Pros

Really great people, amazing atmosphere and leadership skills.

Cons

There really are not any cons to this job. If you join the infantry you already expect what is bad so be prepared.

Advice to Management

Ensure only the qualified get promoted based off of how they are as a person and not off of paper.

9. You get what you put in

Former Employee - Aviation Electronics Technician and Embassy Guard in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Marine Corps is an excellent institution to begin your work life. Whether you're staying in or getting out, the Marine Corps is a solid foundation. The opportunity to advance is up to the individual Marine. There are many routes you can take to get the best experience out of the Marine Corps.

Cons

I wouldn't recommend this job/career for someone with a family. You're constantly moving and will cause problems within the family.

Advice to Management

Stop restricting your NCO's from doing their job and stop under minding them. NCO's are there to run the platoons and will run them if you don't tie their hands behind their backs.

10. USMC

I have been working at US Marine Corps (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work because of the people that you spend every day with. Wouldn't have wanted my time in any other way.

Cons

Its not easy to fire somebody. A few people are really bad at life and shouldn't be in. When these people are apart of another unit, get passed around for TAD, and then they get promoted.

11. Helicopter Mechanic

Current Employee - Helicopter Mechanic in Jacksonville, NC
    Current Employee - Helicopter Mechanic in Jacksonville, NC

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

decent pay, see the world, and learn valuable skills. can be a good time if you have an open mind. takes a little bit of time to make decent money though

Cons

dealing with the politics, been doing this since 2000 so all I know is war. it can get old real fast leaving your family often.

Advice to Management

take care of your junior troops, they are the ones that make you succesfull, not you. to many times people treat junior marines like they are crap

Showing 3,032 of 3,229 reviews