US Marine Corps Reviews

2,249 Reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos
General James F. Amos
1,059 Ratings

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 61 reviews)

• Great opportunity to see the world as you learn great skills for the outside world (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Significant time away from family and friends is a sacrifice you will have to make (in 148 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired (in 252 reviews)

More Highlights

USMC

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Brotherhood through pain is something that brings you together

Cons

Hard work is expected and complaining is not tolerated

Hard work, deceives dedication in many aspects.

Current Employee - 0311
    Current Employee - 0311

I have been working at US Marine Corps part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Earned leave and benefits. Americas 911 force

Cons

promotions are based on distinguished and dedicated allegiance to duty.

Current Operations Director

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

High paced, ability to work with high level staff and excel. Can excel in leadership, management and time skills.

Cons

Long hours and necessity to work at home, no off time.

It was an experience that I'll always value.

Former Employee - 0311
    Former Employee - 0311

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There was no better place for me at the time I enlisted. I was 17 and had no direction at all. I learned so many valuable skills, discipline, and a great work ethic. It gave me a sense of pride and purpose in life. I enjoyed it very much.

Cons

I really got dissatisfied with the way the entire Marine Corps was headed. It seemed to be more concerned with the political correctness side of things when in fact that should be the last of our worries.

Educate Staff NCO's with more formal education initiatives. Focus on more training and less on peoples feelings.

MarineCorps was a great experience.

Current Employee - Military Instructor in Camp Lejeune, NC
    Current Employee - Military Instructor in Camp Lejeune, NC

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best things about working for the marine corps is the commodore. Working in the military gives a sense of being, where you know that you are doing something good, whigh you can look back on and know that you didn't waste your time.
    Healthcare was amazing, In that you wouldn't pay but 27 a month for yourself and a spouse. Not much more for kids.
    To have a baby costed $0.00, which we know now the average cost is above 20,000.
    Dental less than $10.00
    12 extra per dependent.
    Thrift savings plan is a great way to save for retirement.
    Education is continuous in that depending in your job you can and will be forced to become better.
    4500 a year in education benefits without using G.I. BILL funds.
    GI BILL equates up to 117,000 over 4 years after out. Monthly housing allowance book stipend 1,000 a year.
    Discounts almost anywhere to save on almost anything.

Cons

Working with management was sometimes frustrating. There is a belief where if 1 person makes a mistake they tend to prefer mass punishment for all instead of isolating the issue and individuals responsible.
    If deployed the possibility of death.
    time away from family when going on month long field operations to deserts or woods.
    Again time away from family.

Punish individuals instead of everyone in a company. Or your section. Give people opportunity to advance in ranks, and not choosing favorites. Observe more, and interject less. Let us learn some small mistakes that's how we learn. Micromanaging is the worst thing to do.

Recruiter

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Work back in the community and make a difference. Learn a lot about yourself and the public work sector.

Cons

The American public has a large number of ungrateful turds that want hand outs. Long hours and rude people.

Update recruiting practices to reflect current times.

It was a thrill ride, lots of mental and physical demands also class room knowledge

Current Employee - Field Artillery Canon Crewmen in Jacksonville, NC
    Current Employee - Field Artillery Canon Crewmen in Jacksonville, NC

I have been working at US Marine Corps as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's the toughest of the tough, skills and knowledge ability to adjust to different situations

Cons

Very demanding on the body, the ability to use all the knowledge

Highly skilled, quick learner, can adjust to almost any situation thinking of all before self.

Downhill

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you have all of your poo (thanks bad language removal) squared away the job is easy. Show up to muster a little early, shave, and be able to do what you are supposed to without someone telling you. Amazing how difficult that is for some.

Cons

Putting up with idiots you work with. If you get stuck in a weak command that doesn't hold anyone accountable it sucks.

Stop forcing out the good Marines and keeping the poo bags (again thanks, this is ridiculous) just because they got their package in a month or 2 before hand.

Overall great experience and lifelong memories

Former Employee - Marine Corps Officer in Beaufort, SC
    Former Employee - Marine Corps Officer in Beaufort, SC

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A great place for someone needing a structured environment with the capability to excel based on your willingness to accept challenges a work very hard.

Cons

As you progress through the ranks, especially in the Officer Corps, politics play a major role in day to day challenges.

Have faith in the Marines that work with you. I have learned more from the younger Marines. They are extremely intelligent, have great ideas and are willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish the mission. Micro-managing and lack of communication up, down, and laterally are the most detrimental to morale and mission accomplishment

Flight line Division Chief

Former Employee - Flight Line Chief in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Flight Line Chief in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very fulfilling. I got to see the out come of everything I did. Mentor and teach Americas youth.

Cons

You're on the clock 24/7. If someone steps out of line even if it's out of your control. You are still held accountable.

Listen to others. Reach out when you don't know something. Always keep higher ups in the loop