US Marine Corps Reviews

2,690 Reviews
US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos
General James F. Amos
1,271 Ratings

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 64 reviews)

• Great opportunity to see the world as you learn great skills for the outside world (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Significant time away from family and friends is a sacrifice you will have to make (in 149 reviews)

• You have to be prepared to work very long hours; it is truly a "service" to your country (in 256 reviews)

1. Surveyor

I have been working at US Marine Corps part-time

Pros

On the active side you get to travel and pretty much have your food and housing taken care of.

Cons

Its essentially adult kindergarten. Not unusual to see higher ups acting like children and just be unprofessional in general.

Advice to Management

Treat your marines like children and that is how they are going to act.

2. If you're older (25 years old or older) don't join!

I worked at US Marine Corps

Pros

- appreciate your freedom more
    - steady income
    -if you are immature and aren't very intelligent, and like to be watched over infantry is a good choice.

Cons

Strictly coming from an enlisted infantryman's point of view.
    Just look at the terminal lance comics of "chongo"and its not hard to see the cons
    -some of the worst management I have ever been under.
    -barbaric and inefficient methods of doing administrative tasks
    -never a steady plan
    -success (aka promotion) greatly depends on office politics and back stabbing fellow marines
    -higher ups don't care about your well being or quality of life
    - Some rediculous rules applying to the dress code
    -everyone is a hypocrite and there is an unfair double standard that exists for higher ups
    - relies heavily on propaganda techniques to present a false image to the public.

These are just some of many cons to the job.
    You will never truly understand how much it sucks until you find out for yourself.

Advice to Management

I'm sure the Corp used to be great, but here in the past 5 years it has landslided to one of the worst jobs I have ever experienced. Stop making it a living hell for the grunts! Especially the E5 and below. They are the ones whose lives will be at risk the most, the next time our nation is in a serious conflict. A little less micromanagement and unrealistic deadlines for marine net courses ( which are a complete waste of time) would be nice for starters. Ok I'm done ranting

Infantry rifleman

Current Employee - Rifleman in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Employee - Rifleman in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

making the best friends you'll ever have in your life.

Cons

almost any and all leadership has no since of leadership. no logic behind anything. and almost all leadership will screw you over at every possibility to make them selves look good.

Advice to Management

die

Proceed with caution

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will learn to lead however some of the leaders in the Corps shouldn't be allowed to lead.

Cons

Lies
    Poor leaders
    Long hours
    Less secure work than it might seem

Advice to Management

Treat Marines like they actually matter.

6. It's alright

Current Contractor - Infantry Squad Leader in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Contractor - Infantry Squad Leader in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get regularly payed and have some down time when not training

Cons

Training goes for an extremely unnecessarily long time and the pay just doesn't cut it

Advice to Management

Raise the pay for all ranks under E-5 to retain personal

Nothing more than double standards

Former Employee - Infantry Assault in Camp Lejeune, NC
    Former Employee - Infantry Assault in Camp Lejeune, NC

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People like our uniforms, we get to shoot people occasionally, and the lower ranks bond very tightly.

Cons

Nonexistent promotion for grunts, People want us to wear our uniforms to every event you can think of, we only get to shoot people occasionally, the higher ranks and the organization as a whole are so pent up and upset with their own lives that they hound you about little things. While the other branches ask for more money to do what they need to do, USMC denies they need the cash and instead skimps on quality of life. Remember when sergeant major Barrett told congress marines are willing to take a pay cut? Well we weren't, but imagine that attitude with regards to every solitary aspect of your life. Sandstorm... hey take that shemagh off your face what do you think you are, Special Forces? Firefight...hey why haven't you shaved today marine? I have seen non infantry support types chew out guys in the chow-hall who just got out of the hospital after getting blown up in country. Hey marine, why are you wearing ripped frogs in the chow-hall? Gunny I just got blown up. They don't care and no matter what awesome reason you have, they will come up with some highly unrealistic way for you to have planned ahead to not be in violation of some ridiculous uniform regulation.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about tradition, start putting money into things that matter like live fire training and medic courses and let marines attend joint service schools more frequently. My last range before I got out, I was handed 3 bullets to shoot. Stop sending non combat arms units to ranges and schools that they will never use, i.e.: admin units to the help dunker. Stop giving battalions 1 seat at airborne. Instead rotate battalions so more people get the training.

Sgt. Under four years

Current Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing, except learning the tricks of skating

Cons

Everything. Just google "hate USMC", "disgruntled Marines", "reasons not to reenlist". Most of the positive comments are from recruiters and former lifers. Only less than 7% Marines ever served retire from this disorganization, and The few, the proud have the highest rate of Disciplinary actions, NJPs, court martials, a lot more than the Army. Talk about "taking care of your buddies".

Kindergarten for adults

Former Contractor - Cpl 1142 Generator Mechanic in Jacksonville, NC
    Former Contractor - Cpl 1142 Generator Mechanic in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at US Marine Corps as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was pretty good, the GI Bill, the good friends you make during your time in

Cons

Myself and every other marine that got out could literally spend days explaining why it's a terrible idea to join

Advice to Management

My advice to "upper management" would be to do all your marines a favor and just approve their VEERP packages

Look past boot-camp.

Former Contractor - Motor Transport Operator in Twentynine Palms, CA
    Former Contractor - Motor Transport Operator in Twentynine Palms, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong camaraderie and getting used to negativity.

Cons

I will say right now, individual experience may differ. I was severely disappointed and let down the last 4 years of my life. There will be many many people who will do nothing and take all your credit. You will get let down and never expect anything. Juniors are treated bad and NCO's need to get off their high horse. Theres a difference between discipline and being completely retarded. Higher ups don't care about anything but their pension and are only there to make life worst. I went on 3 back to back deployments stop loss and the first 2 were ok but really? 3 deployments in 4 years. Makes total sense. And I was unfortunate enough to be under the "leadership" of Amos. Take what you want from it, but look beyond boot camp commercials. I wasn't a bad Marine either. I was a meritorious Corporal, 300 PFT/CFT 340 Expert range, 2 combat tours. Just be wary. Don't chose twentynine palms unlike mine was chosen for me.

Advice to Management

Doesnt matter, they dont listen to anybody but other generals.

11. Exhausting

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ok health and dental for service member, opportunity to start at the bottom and work your way up, ability to make a difference in young men's lives. It doesn't matter who you are there is a place for you.

Cons

Very political, backstabbing is prevalent among senior enlisted and officer ranks. The ability to shape your career is limited by what your monitor wants you to do. Values are being eroded by political correctness. Tricare for families is terrible, dependents rarely if ever see the same PCM, it takes months to execute a referral. Housing is socialist in nature. Additionally, the EFMP is a joke and kids with special needs are counted a number for more funding instead of trying to help them.

Advice to Management

Allow people to shape their own careers, someone who is doing a job he chose will do a better job then someone who was assigned that job. Lowering standards IOTA a certain endstate is not what corps values are about. Marines should be allowed to apply to specific special education programs vice selected for them.