US Marine Corps

Updated Jul 31, 2014

4.2 1,971 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 52 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments (in 127 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired (in 220 reviews)

More Highlights
1,971 Employee Reviews

"Join the Air Force

Rifleman (Current Employee) Hell (Norway)

ProsG.I. Bill - If you can make it without getting kicked out.
    Unemployment Insurance - You're dam sure gonna need it.

ConsLeadership - Power hungry NCOs and Ignorant SNCOs, Officers and Motards.
    Hours - You're a Marine 24/7 (Hell on Earth)
    Contract - You CANNOT quit this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementREQUIRE MORE THAN BEING IN SHAPE FOR A DAM PROMOTION. DOING 20 PULL-UPS WILL NOT BE ON ANY CIVILIAN'S RESUME....WTF

Reconnaissance Marine

Recon Marine (Former Employee)

ProsMet some amazing people who are friends for life. Hardship creates lasting relationships between teammates. Got to travel and work overseas in different environments and interact with different cultures. Paid to jump out of planes, scuba dive, and shoot a lot of rounds. Learned what not to do by seeing plenty of examples of poor leadership and mismanagement, has made me very successful in the civilian world by knowing what not to do.

ConsManagement is terrible. There is a reason the Marine Corps has the lowest retention rate out of the services. Most Marines that stay past the 4-6 year mark, both enlisted and officer, are those who don't have options in the real world. This leaves the B-team leading the service. Entitlement and superiority issues plague senior ranks. Do as I say, not as I do. Rank does not make you right. Anyone looking to be involved in small team operations would do better joining any of the other three services. The Marine Corps has an amazing recruitment strategy and wins awards for advertising. The experience is far different than that advertised. Most Marines are not "warriors", but are paper pushers who got picked on in high school and want to do something that makes them look tough and who hide behind rank as no one would do what they said without it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is lacking across the board. The ability to pass PME's and run 3 miles has no bearing on job ability. Promotions based on time in service and not on merit. There needs to be a major shake-up of leadership and more accountability for bad CO's. The Navy and Air Force do a better job of this.

Do it.

Infantry Team Leader (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA

ProsIt is a good place to grow up, especially if you enlist after high school. You can make all the dumb mistakes that you would normally make in college, but you will do it in the Marine Corps and your life wont be over afterwards. Everybody looks out for everybody else, and you will make the best of friends.

ConsIt will destroy your body. You will hike a total of 100 miles or more in 4 years. It may not sound like much, but you will be wearing 100+ pounds on your body, and you can break your shins, your feet or you back. You will be compensated for this afterwards by the VA, but not much living to be had. Bear in mind that I never hurt myself, and am totally okay. Cons may vary.

Advice to Senior ManagementPutting 21 year old Arts graduates in charge of real people in wartime is a bad idea. You are a boot platoon commander, so you need to listen to the enlisted in your platoon because they know better than you in ALL things.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Make sure it is what you want

ProsLearning skills most people will never even know what mean

ConsYou are a slave to your contract

oorah

ProsDecent pay and benefits and such

ConsJust about everything else, like the lifestyle

Horrible, basically a janitor.

Avionics Technician (Former Employee) Havelock, NC

ProsGreat Benefits, Decent Pay, Compensation

ConsUnprofessional, Disrespectful Upper Rank, Crappy Managment

The few the proud, the Many shames.

T A T A R M (Current Employee) Camp Lejeune, NC

ProsThe training is superb,Many opportunities if you know the right people,friendships,see the world,have a constant chance of meeting casual encounters with oppisite sex,The Uniforms,Travel,Discipline martial arts Movies,The glory.

ConsOkay so heres some of my issues, officers act like they own the whole world also the nco's sncos, people think they are better than you,the brainwashing,lies constant lies,cliques,people gang up once saw a riot between one battalion beat up the other all because the offending marine the guy who started it slept with the other marines wife and he just wanted to squash it,A constant ego trip,theft,rape,lies,infedelity,mistrust,leaving happens in the Military as a whole,Marines think that God should sniff their farts actually all of the branches should they feel yet a congressman army officer comes around they start kissing that guys rear end,it is all about who and what you know I would not join again even if I won the lottery and was told thats how I could get my money too much b.s entailed.Now gays allowed,no more any of the glory days for the usmc meh no hoorah today or in a way again

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your troops be more understanding,half the time you're being a hypocrite,if a troop seems messed up help in any way to fix it ,youre not paid to babysit?oh yeah yes you are according to my tax dollars and his soon to be drug habit and taking my tax money in the long run far cheaper what if it was you that f'ed up put yourself in someone elses shoes.

Poor leadership at the NCO and SNCO level

E6 - Marines - Staff Sergeant (Former Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsThe Corps' values and principles are exactly as advertised, very sold

ConsPoor leadership at the NCO and SNCO levels make a life in the Corps extremely invaluable. Work life balance isn't only poor, it does not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not promote NCOs and SNCOs that are only qualified on an MBS. Actual leadership ability in the field isn't measured. NCOs consistenly haze junior Marines while SNCOs approve of "the old Corps".

Crappy

ProsYou get paid 1st and the 15th

ConsYou are treated like a 2 year old

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip and reat people as humans not cattle

Very challenging organization to work for - it's not about performance, but who you know and are you liked.

Staff Officer (Current Employee) Quantico, VA

Pros30 days of leave a year, better than civilian sector

Conshypocritical leadership at all levels; politics over performance. Save yourself the pain, joint the Air Force.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou cannot lead while sitting behind a desk.

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!