US Marine Corps Reviews

4.2
2,110 Reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos
General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 52 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments (in 127 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired (in 220 reviews)

More Highlights

"My dreams are all dead and buried, sometimes I wish the sun would just explode"

Former Employee - Combat Engineer  in  M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI
    Former Employee - Combat Engineer in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- If you get a good MOS you can take away some very marketable skills

- Teaches young people how to not be complete shitheads compared to their peers

- Socialized everything. If you budget right, you can save a lot of money

Cons

- Awful work-life balance. Time off is a privilege as opposed to a right and they make sure you're well aware of this by screwing with your supposed off time constantly for no good reason.

- A lot of your co-workers will treat their service as essentially welfare without the guilt.

- Culture can be very cult-like and borderline fascist in a lot of commands

- A lot of politics and ass-kissing as opposed to skill and merit when it comes to deciding who gets promoted and put in charge

Stop treating your 100% volunteer force as if they were conscripts. I know there's a tradition of the Corps recruiting criminals, but that hasn't been the case for over a quarter century now and the culture and environment should reflect that. I don't mean get softer, just more professional. Not in the current, warped Marine Corps sense of the word.

Terrible idea...

Current Employee - Rifleman  in  Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Employee - Rifleman in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Set up for education, housing loan, and financial security for length of enlistment.

Cons

Horrible living conditions, subhuman food, treated like a child for the length of enlistment, promotion system is broken, lack of maturity within the branch.

Dissolve this branch

The Marine Corps is a business that cares only how it is perceived as an institution, does not care about the Marine.

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get paid on the 1st and the 15th; not much but you can at least count on that.

Cons

You walk away with more frustration then what the job was worth; you will leave loving those you served with but the institution of the Marine Corps its self could care less about the individual Marine. The term "band of brothers" is what you form with those you serve with the Marine Corps has nothing to do with this term. After 22 years in the Marine Corps I am very disappointed in the leadership, the lack of concern for the individual Marine and his or her family and the over all politics that are involved. To many get promoted and take care of themselves; they forget that rank is to be the voice for those junior Marines who will take the Corps into the future.

Stop worrying about how you look and are perceived, stop focusing on the institution as a whole and get back to taking care of the individual Marine; in doing so you will take care of the institution. We have become a business, we are not a band of brothers, we are no longer the few and the proud we are a corporate business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Join the Air Force

Current Employee - Rifleman  in  Hell (Norway)
    Current Employee - Rifleman in Hell (Norway)

I have been working at US Marine Corps as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

G.I. Bill - If you can make it without getting kicked out.
    Unemployment Insurance - You're dam sure gonna need it.

Cons

Leadership - Power hungry NCOs and Ignorant SNCOs, Officers and Motards.
    Hours - You're a Marine 24/7 (Hell on Earth)
    Contract - You CANNOT quit this job.

REQUIRE MORE THAN BEING IN SHAPE FOR A DAM PROMOTION. DOING 20 PULL-UPS WILL NOT BE ON ANY CIVILIAN'S RESUME....WTF

Reconnaissance Marine

Former Employee - Recon Marine
    Former Employee - Recon Marine

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Met some amazing people who are friends for life. Hardship creates lasting relationships between teammates. Got to travel and work overseas in different environments and interact with different cultures. Paid to jump out of planes, scuba dive, and shoot a lot of rounds. Learned what not to do by seeing plenty of examples of poor leadership and mismanagement, has made me very successful in the civilian world by knowing what not to do.

Cons

Management is terrible. There is a reason the Marine Corps has the lowest retention rate out of the services. Most Marines that stay past the 4-6 year mark, both enlisted and officer, are those who don't have options in the real world. This leaves the B-team leading the service. Entitlement and superiority issues plague senior ranks. Do as I say, not as I do. Rank does not make you right. Anyone looking to be involved in small team operations would do better joining any of the other three services. The Marine Corps has an amazing recruitment strategy and wins awards for advertising. The experience is far different than that advertised. Most Marines are not "warriors", but are paper pushers who got picked on in high school and want to do something that makes them look tough and who hide behind rank as no one would do what they said without it.

Leadership is lacking across the board. The ability to pass PME's and run 3 miles has no bearing on job ability. Promotions based on time in service and not on merit. There needs to be a major shake-up of leadership and more accountability for bad CO's. The Navy and Air Force do a better job of this.

Do it.

Former Employee - Infantry Team Leader  in  Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - Infantry Team Leader in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a good place to grow up, especially if you enlist after high school. You can make all the dumb mistakes that you would normally make in college, but you will do it in the Marine Corps and your life wont be over afterwards. Everybody looks out for everybody else, and you will make the best of friends.

Cons

It will destroy your body. You will hike a total of 100 miles or more in 4 years. It may not sound like much, but you will be wearing 100+ pounds on your body, and you can break your shins, your feet or you back. You will be compensated for this afterwards by the VA, but not much living to be had. Bear in mind that I never hurt myself, and am totally okay. Cons may vary.

Putting 21 year old Arts graduates in charge of real people in wartime is a bad idea. You are a boot platoon commander, so you need to listen to the enlisted in your platoon because they know better than you in ALL things.

Make sure it is what you want

I have been working at US Marine Corps part-time

Pros

Learning skills most people will never even know what mean

Cons

You are a slave to your contract

oorah

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Decent pay and benefits and such

Cons

Just about everything else, like the lifestyle

Horrible, basically a janitor.

Former Employee - Avionics Technician  in  Havelock, NC
    Former Employee - Avionics Technician in Havelock, NC

I worked at US Marine Corps as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, Decent Pay, Compensation

Cons

Unprofessional, Disrespectful Upper Rank, Crappy Managment

The few the proud, the Many shames.

Current Employee - T A T A R M  in  Camp Lejeune, NC
    Current Employee - T A T A R M in Camp Lejeune, NC

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The training is superb,Many opportunities if you know the right people,friendships,see the world,have a constant chance of meeting casual encounters with oppisite sex,The Uniforms,Travel,Discipline martial arts Movies,The glory.

Cons

Okay so heres some of my issues, officers act like they own the whole world also the nco's sncos, people think they are better than you,the brainwashing,lies constant lies,cliques,people gang up once saw a riot between one battalion beat up the other all because the offending marine the guy who started it slept with the other marines wife and he just wanted to squash it,A constant ego trip,theft,rape,lies,infedelity,mistrust,leaving happens in the Military as a whole,Marines think that God should sniff their farts actually all of the branches should they feel yet a congressman army officer comes around they start kissing that guys rear end,it is all about who and what you know I would not join again even if I won the lottery and was told thats how I could get my money too much b.s entailed.Now gays allowed,no more any of the glory days for the usmc meh no hoorah today or in a way again

Take care of your troops be more understanding,half the time you're being a hypocrite,if a troop seems messed up help in any way to fix it ,youre not paid to babysit?oh yeah yes you are according to my tax dollars and his soon to be drug habit and taking my tax money in the long run far cheaper what if it was you that f'ed up put yourself in someone elses shoes.

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!