US Marine Corps

2,345 Reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos
General James F. Amos
1,105 Ratings

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for (in 64 reviews)

• Great opportunity to see the world as you learn great skills for the outside world (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Significant time away from family and friends is a sacrifice you will have to make (in 149 reviews)

• You have to be prepared to work very long hours; it is truly a "service" to your country (in 256 reviews)

More Highlights

No finer place to triumph over adversity and bs with brothers you will have for a lifetime. No better time to join than as a young man seeking a classical crusade.

Former Employee - Scout/Sniper; Machine Gunner, Enlisted in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Join the infantry, travel, embracing the suck, feel extreme amounts of pain but keep moving forward.

Cons

One can not be weak. Nobody cares about your "feelings", nor should they.

Keep an open mind, do not crush young NCOs and junior Marines for speaking honestly and for just cause, all the same, never go easy on a shit-bag. Semper Fi.

Life-experience

Former Employee - Machine Gunner in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Machine Gunner in Honolulu, HI

I worked at US Marine Corps as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Causes you to grow up fast, meet many great people, and experience a lot of new and interesting places.

Cons

Took over your whole life. There's no punching out and going home, at any point in time you could be called back to work

Lead by example.

U.S. Marine Corps

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Part of an organization where those employed have truly earned the right to be there. Most employed are committed to doing their best.

Cons

You have to be prepared to work very long hours; it is truly a "service" to your country. Advancement may not be possible, regardless of performance.

Never sacrifice standards for the sake of political expediency.

Pilot

Current Employee - Helicopter Pilot
    Current Employee - Helicopter Pilot

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training with people who, for the most part, come to work every day to get the job done. The camaraderie and team ethos is bar none. As a pilot, the flying is great. You get a breadth of opportunities to do different jobs (and collateral duties), work in different departments and broaden your experience base. Amazing leadership opportunities, great benefits. You'll likely get to see the world and do things you never thought you would do. Friends and memories to last a lifetime.

Cons

Time to promote on the Officer side can be frustrating. No meritorious promotions as officers, so you can run circles around your peers and still have to wait the same amount of time to get promoted. Although, at a certain level, under performers get passed over/pushed out. Can be tough on families, depending on your MOS, timing and what is going on in the world.

(INFANTRY MACHINE GUNNER) My time in the Marines was better than I could have imagined.

Former Employee - E4 - Marines - Corporal in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Former Employee - E4 - Marines - Corporal in Camp Pendleton, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best time of my LIFE
    Benefits during and after you get out
    FUN
    Travel (I went to Okinawa, Tokyo, Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand, And of course AFGHAN) stationed in sunny CA
    Brotherhood is like family
    Many memories
    Learn to lead
    Combat

Cons

Combat
    Some in the brotherhood are really really really really dumb...like really really dumb
    Travel may be to much for married couples
    A lot of Hurry up and wait!
    Marines seem to be getting weaker with Moms of america complaining

The good managers know how to lead, the bad ones never will

Travel and Adventure

Current Employee - Career Planner in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Employee - Career Planner in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-travel
    -advancement
    -health care/benefits
    -retirement plans
    -401k options
    -holidays off
    -paid vacation time 2.5 days earned month

Cons

Family comes second to the Marine Corps. Hours are not set, work until work is done. Physical Training is a must!

Best decision I have ever made!

Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - E5 - Marines - Sergeant in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Camaraderie is one of the most important things that keep you going. I was lucky to have had great leadership when I first started as a junior Marine. The friendships I made will be everlasting. You have a chance to work hard and advance meritoriously. The opportunity to be a good leader is definitely there. Great benefits, never have to worry about healthcare or dental for you and your family. The proud I felt wearing my uniform every day, cannot be matched by anything.

Cons

A lot of times, especially as a junior Marine, you have to deal with a lot of bs. Once you become a non-commissioned officer, you have the opportunity to lead Marines, but the chance of getting an idiot for a leader is definitely there. Unfortunately, a lot of people that cannot make it in the civilian world, stay in because they get power with their rank.

Going to college and getting a degree does not make you smart and a good leader. Learn from senior Marine officers, from your mistakes, from your subordinate Marines, Earn their respect, care, and do not be an idiot!

Life changing.

I worked at US Marine Corps

Pros

Travel a lot, you're serving your country and doing what you love most of the time. There is room for promotion and always someone willing to take you under their wing.

Cons

The promotion system can be broken at times, and if you make enemies with the wrong people your life won't be the happiest.

Its the Marine Corps.

I have been working at US Marine Corps

Pros

Get to travel to hot nasty places all over the world. When deployed, there is no time off or fun. Period.

Cons

Its not for everyone.

10 good years, but don't miss it. I'd do it again, but it could have been so much better.

Former Employee - Marine Corps Officer
    Former Employee - Marine Corps Officer

I worked at US Marine Corps full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting work in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the feeling of making and living the news, not just watching it.

More cerebral assignments in a CENTCOM cell. Get in the right position and earn the trust of the right people, and learn to pull the right levers, and you can have some significant, far-reaching impacts.

Being privy to very sensitive, classified, cutting-edge technologies and operations.

Leading and managing Marines, many of whom I keep in touch with even now that I, and most of them, are out of the USMC. These were an extraordinary group of individuals, far beyond what most laymen would expect. I cannot emphasize enough how intelligent, capable, and high-performing 18-25 year old guys with mostly nothing beyond HS education were. America is generally proud of its Marines, but they don't even realize how good most of them really are. On the officer side, many of my peers were some of the most broadly capable and sharp people I've known, every bit on par with or better than my engineering and business friends on the civilian side.

Flying jets.

Pay/benefits are pretty good.

Travel.

Cons

Being treated like children: You may be trusted with a $60,000,000 aircraft, but not with mundane, every day activities outside of work in my personal life, that aren't the Corps' business to begin with. Officers are not immune; we were treated like children (Sgts and below were treated like infants).

Risk aversion and micromanagement: All the talk in early training about pushing responsibility to the lowest levels, pushing the tempo by embracing decision making with less than full information, aggressiveness, etc, was by far mostly just talk in my decade of experience. These things, in practice, end up being strongly discouraged. Being a eunuch who played "not to lose" (instead of to win) was what I repeatedly saw incentivized. Aggressiveness (both tactically and in personality/lifestyle) was mistaken for recklessness. The luxury of our "connectedness" gets abused to our detriment. I distinctly remember being required to submit a time-sensitive report in the middle of the night one time to inform a Colonel, his staff, and all sorts of safety reps, etc of a situation where a mechanic stubbed his toe and went to get it X-rayed, only to find out that it was fine. Everyone being super connected all the time, coupled with the creeping-in of the zero-defect mentality that we say we don't have, leads to these "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" scenarios. In that example, it's silly and humorous, but it has become a way of doing business that impedes us when it really counts, too.

The talent is there in spades; the organization embraces the right things doctrinally, but the culture in practice has widely become something else entirely.