US National Archives and Records Administration

Charles Piercy

Great Experience

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration part-time for less than a year

Pros

It looks great on my resume, I was able to land another internship at the Department of Justice mostly because of my work at the US National Archives. I met incredible people, including vets, researchers, and just day-to-day people who wanted to learn more about their great grandfather or other family members.

Cons

Somewhat strict rules such as no food or water, no jackets, no cellphones, no open shoes. But it's necessary to make sure nothing happens to the legislative documents.

Who"s your favorite?

Former Employee - ????  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - ???? in Dayton, OH

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a job...When you needed a job it was there but not worth all the BS that went on daily.......

Cons

Too many to list. Favoritism, BS on a daily basis. No where to go but down. Never heard thanks for much. Work balance amongst employees was the worst I've ever seen.

Stop playing favorites... Very bad and toxic place to work.......

Good place to start as an intern

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration

Pros

Good place to start as an intern

Cons

it can become very boring

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

extremely fulfilling

Former Employee - Warehouse Records Specialist  in  Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Records Specialist in Suitland, MD

Pros

coworkers.superision,safety,work ethics,great chain of command

Cons

n/a no overtime,some equipment,lack of carts sometimes,

n/a

Student Intern: Archives Technician

Current Employee - Archives Technician  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Archives Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flex scheduling, Good Benefits, Work and Home life balance.

Cons

Some goals are unrealistic. Management Staff are hired without out proper experience. Those that are hired are usually former military veterans who only got hired due to veteran's preference. Employees without military service are often overlooked for positions.

3 Years as an Aid

Current Employee - Archives Aid  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Archives Aid in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job security and basic health benefits is the only pro at NARA in the Federal Record Center (FRC) program. Once in a while they throw you a bone to drive out of town overnight to pick up some boxes and make a few hours overtime, but that doesn't beat a higher starting wage. The people doing the work have great personalities, but this can easily be overshadowed by frustration over the stagnancy in opportunities to advance. They are just starting a cross training program and a career pathing program, but seem oblivious to the cons you are about to read.

Cons

Several people have been in my pay grade for over 20 or even over 30 years working at NARA. Even though we are under a "soft hiring freeze", I realized my degree doesn't seem to mean squat in a field of work that doesn't require a higher education. I have applied for every vacancy in the past three years, interviewed twice and seem to be stuck which is extremely frustrating for a veteran of 8 years, a recent college graduate with superior academic achievement, and several years working in the private sector as a supervisor running a $1M satellite operation with only 4 - 6 people. A part of American workforce is dying and sadly it seems to be the competent few. At this rate they will never get up from the bottom of the Employee Viewpoint Survey ranking in the entire federal government. You have to can AND do something to promote positive change!

I have learned we only can keep 4% of our profits at the end of the year and anything beyond that must go to pay off the national debt (which is ridiculous anyway), but spend as much of that 4% on rewarding your top laborers - as the economy improves and more jobs become available they are bound to leave NARA and a mass exodus is not what I want to have to come back in and fix like I did in Colorado in the Private Sector - with a new bachelors degree and my experience you can bet I will be the one setting my salary should NARA be so foolish as to let that happen in my career span - NARA can't afford it.

Great definable experience, learned a lot of things that will push me forward in the future.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time for less than a year

Pros

Location, Its a great place to tell people you work in the same building that houses the Charter of Freedom.

Cons

Lack of responsibility on management part.

Leadership lacking, Poor organizational culture

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

OK benefits. Liberal leave policy, Flexible schedules. Interesting co-workers. Interesting documents. People outside the agency think you have an interesting job.

Cons

Disorganized. Rampant favoritism. Severe deficiency of leadership skills with supervisors and managers. Clueless senior leadership. Managers lack people skills. Poor performers are not dealt with. No room for advancement. Communication from managers and supervisors deficient.

Get a clue. You are not the best thing since sliced bread. Your leadership skills are deficient. This is the reason why you are on the bottom of the FedView Survey.

Archive Aid (Pathways Program)

Current Employee - Archives Aid  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Archives Aid in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Paid Holidays, Great work schedule, easy work, and good work environment

Cons

No Benefits, Temporary position, No real advancement

My experience was not so great.

Former Employee - Student  in  Spanish Lake, MO
    Former Employee - Student in Spanish Lake, MO

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The compensation and hourly pay is very nice. Also the sick and annual sick leave is great. This job is intended for students so they make it very flexible according to your schedule.

Cons

The management at NARA is horrible and very backwards. You get promoted doing mediocre work. If you excel and succeed at your job, you are kept where you are.

Worked for US National Archives and Records Administration? Contribute to the Community!