US National Archives and Records Administration

Updated January 20, 2015
Updated January 20, 2015
3.3

Charles Piercy

Great employer for students!

Former Employee - Student Worker
    Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration

Pros

The supervisors are extremely accommodating for student schedules. I worked there while I was a student at UW and it was great. Decent pay, convenient bus ride (or parking!), nice supervisors. Paid sick and vacation, even for students!

Cons

There are no windows in the entire building! It is pretty tedious, repetitive work. Some days drag on and on and on.

Stress free great schedule with the intern program paid holidays

Current Employee - Data Transcriber in Spanish Lake, MO
    Current Employee - Data Transcriber in Spanish Lake, MO

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

great work life school balance, decent pay for what you do, I had my own space and managed my own time as long as you hit your quota most of the time your golden.

Cons

Very repeative work gets borning can make for a long day. The Pathways program has ended and all student interns will no longer have a job my last day is March 31, 2015

Rotate jobs throughout the shifts, training with step by step example would be nice and to be trained for more than 15 minutes would help

Cool Job To Have, But Wouldn't Make A Career Out Of It

Current Employee - Archives Aid in Spanish Lake, MO
    Current Employee - Archives Aid in Spanish Lake, MO

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration (more than 3 years)

Pros

Weekend and Holidays off, Hours of operation are awesome( You wont get off any later than 6pm), Work really easy, and the work environment is really family oriented!

Cons

Really no room for advancement, It one of these jobs that you sort of have to wait for someone to quit or retire to move up and that doesnt happen often

Management was pretty cool most of the time

Government perks

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration

Pros

Great work/life balance. Very flexible and relaxed work environment

Cons

Work can be unfulfilling at times.

Good, bad, and ugly.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quality of life is great if you're in the right occupational field. Work-life balance is the best I've seen in the federal government (again, in the right places). Pay is on par with other federal agencies. Buildings are nice and the people in most locations are dedicated to the work they do.

Cons

This organization has a large % of its workforce in warehouse-type jobs within little room for advancement. Those jobs are also paid the least, have the least time for development, and should look at hose jobs as temporary steps to someplace else. The organization still hasn't gotten past a reorganization that happened 5 years ago and some anger and frustration still exists....I don't think leadership has handled it well and it shows.

Empowering employees means letting them make decisions regarding their own programs. You are not the expert in all things just because you rose through the federal ranks. Many decisions are yours to make, many are yours to delegate and TRUST your people.

manager

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

salary is on the high end

Cons

bad supervisors leads to bad decisions

more training to overcome perceived knowledge

Worst Employee Satisfaction ever.

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration

Pros

Federal Government provides long term security

Cons

Terrible management with no vision or leadership

Fire at SES level and above. Most are sharks. Look at alot of GS15 in the Agency Services Organization also.

Cool to have historical documents at your fingertips, chill energy, nice people.

Former Employee - Student Archives Technician in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Student Archives Technician in College Park, MD

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was a student intern and I noted that experiences there lend well to various majors (history, library and information sciences, communications). I might have been lucky that I was placed in a good department within he agency. I worked with some great archivists in records processing who cared about improving our career development and education. They worked with my college schedule and I could change my hours easily if I needed more time off for finals or the holidays. Even students get recognition for the hand they lend to a project. I was pretty surprised to get an award. Students can get performance evaluation bonuses too. I was sincerely happy to be at work where everyone feels like their job is important. I loved being a part of history and researching for my own college papers with the available primary sources. The College Park location is a very relaxed environment.

Cons

If you are a student, no employee benefits. Bureaucracy is rampant, but it is a federal agency so I couldn't stay mad at that. The commute was difficult for me; I lived 15 miles away but it still took me over an hour to drive to College Park. The way back sometimes doubled. I tried public transportation once and it took 3 hours to get to work. Also, be prepared for the job agreement to end upon graduating. Typically, openings for full time employees are scarce and competitive. By the time an opening I qualified for did appear I had been unemployed for 5 months and just started at another job.

Don't be afraid to gradually give the interns more responsibility and varied experiences outside of their section. Push them to attend the career development sessions offered monthly. It really benefited me and my peers but I noticed other sections in the agency never let their interns out for these opportunities.

The experience was sufficient for the time that I was there. I was able to move around to a few different positions.

Former Employee - Record Retrieval Aid in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Record Retrieval Aid in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job was extremely flexible and accommodating to my college schedule. The work was routine and simple to do working in the Record Retrieval section.

Cons

The working conditions weren't always the best, but with the new facility I'm sure its better now. The Supervisor wasn't the easiest person to talk to.

Take classes to learn and prepare for supervisory roles mif it is not something you are good at. Just because you qualify for a job doesn't make you good at it.

Who"s your favorite?

Former Employee - ???? in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - ???? in Dayton, OH

Pros

It's a job...When you needed a job it was there but not worth all the BS that went on daily.......

Cons

Too many to list. Favoritism, BS on a daily basis. No where to go but down. Never heard thanks for much. Work balance amongst employees was the worst I've ever seen.

Stop playing favorites... Very bad and toxic place to work.......

US National Archives and Records Administration Photos