US National Archives and Records Administration

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
3.2

Charles Piercy

Cool to have historical documents at your fingertips, chill energy, nice people.

Former Employee - Student Archives Technician in College Park, MD
    Former Employee - Student Archives Technician in College Park, MD

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was a student intern and I noted that experiences there lend well to various majors (history, library and information sciences, communications). I might have been lucky that I was placed in a good department within he agency. I worked with some great archivists in records processing who cared about improving our career development and education. They worked with my college schedule and I could change my hours easily if I needed more time off for finals or the holidays. Even students get recognition for the hand they lend to a project. I was pretty surprised to get an award. Students can get performance evaluation bonuses too. I was sincerely happy to be at work where everyone feels like their job is important. I loved being a part of history and researching for my own college papers with the available primary sources. The College Park location is a very relaxed environment.

Cons

If you are a student, no employee benefits. Bureaucracy is rampant, but it is a federal agency so I couldn't stay mad at that. The commute was difficult for me; I lived 15 miles away but it still took me over an hour to drive to College Park. The way back sometimes doubled. I tried public transportation once and it took 3 hours to get to work. Also, be prepared for the job agreement to end upon graduating. Typically, openings for full time employees are scarce and competitive. By the time an opening I qualified for did appear I had been unemployed for 5 months and just started at another job.

Don't be afraid to gradually give the interns more responsibility and varied experiences outside of their section. Push them to attend the career development sessions offered monthly. It really benefited me and my peers but I noticed other sections in the agency never let their interns out for these opportunities.

The experience was sufficient for the time that I was there. I was able to move around to a few different positions.

Former Employee - Record Retrieval Aid in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Record Retrieval Aid in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job was extremely flexible and accommodating to my college schedule. The work was routine and simple to do working in the Record Retrieval section.

Cons

The working conditions weren't always the best, but with the new facility I'm sure its better now. The Supervisor wasn't the easiest person to talk to.

Take classes to learn and prepare for supervisory roles mif it is not something you are good at. Just because you qualify for a job doesn't make you good at it.

Who"s your favorite?

Former Employee - ???? in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - ???? in Dayton, OH

Pros

It's a job...When you needed a job it was there but not worth all the BS that went on daily.......

Cons

Too many to list. Favoritism, BS on a daily basis. No where to go but down. Never heard thanks for much. Work balance amongst employees was the worst I've ever seen.

Stop playing favorites... Very bad and toxic place to work.......

Great Experience

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at US National Archives and Records Administration part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It looks great on my resume, I was able to land another internship at the Department of Justice mostly because of my work at the US National Archives. I met incredible people, including vets, researchers, and just day-to-day people who wanted to learn more about their great grandfather or other family members.

Cons

Somewhat strict rules such as no food or water, no jackets, no cellphones, no open shoes. But it's necessary to make sure nothing happens to the legislative documents.

Good place to start as an intern

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration

Pros

Good place to start as an intern

Cons

it can become very boring

extremely fulfilling

Former Employee - Warehouse Records Specialist in Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Records Specialist in Suitland, MD

Pros

coworkers.superision,safety,work ethics,great chain of command

Cons

n/a no overtime,some equipment,lack of carts sometimes,

n/a

Student Intern: Archives Technician

Current Employee - Archives Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Archives Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex scheduling, Good Benefits, Work and Home life balance.

Cons

Some goals are unrealistic. Management Staff are hired without out proper experience. Those that are hired are usually former military veterans who only got hired due to veteran's preference. Employees without military service are often overlooked for positions.

3 Years as an Aid

Current Employee - Archives Aid in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Archives Aid in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security and basic health benefits is the only pro at NARA in the Federal Record Center (FRC) program. Once in a while they throw you a bone to drive out of town overnight to pick up some boxes and make a few hours overtime, but that doesn't beat a higher starting wage. The people doing the work have great personalities, but this can easily be overshadowed by frustration over the stagnancy in opportunities to advance. They are just starting a cross training program and a career pathing program, but seem oblivious to the cons you are about to read.

Cons

Several people have been in my pay grade for over 20 or even over 30 years working at NARA. Even though we are under a "soft hiring freeze", I realized my degree doesn't seem to mean squat in a field of work that doesn't require a higher education. I have applied for every vacancy in the past three years, interviewed twice and seem to be stuck which is extremely frustrating for a veteran of 8 years, a recent college graduate with superior academic achievement, and several years working in the private sector as a supervisor running a $1M satellite operation with only 4 - 6 people. A part of American workforce is dying and sadly it seems to be the competent few. At this rate they will never get up from the bottom of the Employee Viewpoint Survey ranking in the entire federal government. You have to can AND do something to promote positive change!

I have learned we only can keep 4% of our profits at the end of the year and anything beyond that must go to pay off the national debt (which is ridiculous anyway), but spend as much of that 4% on rewarding your top laborers - as the economy improves and more jobs become available they are bound to leave NARA and a mass exodus is not what I want to have to come back in and fix like I did in Colorado in the Private Sector - with a new bachelors degree and my experience you can bet I will be the one setting my salary should NARA be so foolish as to let that happen in my career span - NARA can't afford it.

Leadership lacking, Poor organizational culture

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OK benefits. Liberal leave policy, Flexible schedules. Interesting co-workers. Interesting documents. People outside the agency think you have an interesting job.

Cons

Disorganized. Rampant favoritism. Severe deficiency of leadership skills with supervisors and managers. Clueless senior leadership. Managers lack people skills. Poor performers are not dealt with. No room for advancement. Communication from managers and supervisors deficient.

Get a clue. You are not the best thing since sliced bread. Your leadership skills are deficient. This is the reason why you are on the bottom of the FedView Survey.

Great definable experience, learned a lot of things that will push me forward in the future.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at US National Archives and Records Administration full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Location, Its a great place to tell people you work in the same building that houses the Charter of Freedom.

Cons

Lack of responsibility on management part.

US National Archives and Records Administration Photos