US National Archives and Records Administration

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Charles Piercy

Great Experience

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt looks great on my resume, I was able to land another internship at the Department of Justice mostly because of my work at the US National Archives. I met incredible people, including vets, researchers, and just day-to-day people who wanted to learn more about their great grandfather or other family members.

ConsSomewhat strict rules such as no food or water, no jackets, no cellphones, no open shoes. But it's necessary to make sure nothing happens to the legislative documents.

Good place to start as an intern

ProsGood place to start as an intern

Consit can become very boring

extremely fulfilling

Warehouse Records Specialist (Former Employee) Suitland, MD

Proscoworkers.superision,safety,work ethics,great chain of command

Consn/a no overtime,some equipment,lack of carts sometimes,

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student Intern: Archives Technician

Archives Technician (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsFlex scheduling, Good Benefits, Work and Home life balance.

ConsSome goals are unrealistic. Management Staff are hired without out proper experience. Those that are hired are usually former military veterans who only got hired due to veteran's preference. Employees without military service are often overlooked for positions.

3 Years as an Aid

Archives Aid (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsJob security and basic health benefits is the only pro at NARA in the Federal Record Center (FRC) program. Once in a while they throw you a bone to drive out of town overnight to pick up some boxes and make a few hours overtime, but that doesn't beat a higher starting wage. The people doing the work have great personalities, but this can easily be overshadowed by frustration over the stagnancy in opportunities to advance. They are just starting a cross training program and a career pathing program, but seem oblivious to the cons you are about to read.

ConsSeveral people have been in my pay grade for over 20 or even over 30 years working at NARA. Even though we are under a "soft hiring freeze", I realized my degree doesn't seem to mean squat in a field of work that doesn't require a higher education. I have applied for every vacancy in the past three years, interviewed twice and seem to be stuck which is extremely frustrating for a veteran of 8 years, a recent college graduate with superior academic achievement, and several years working in the private sector as a supervisor running a $1M satellite operation with only 4 - 6 people. A part of American workforce is dying and sadly it seems to be the competent few. At this rate they will never get up from the bottom of the Employee Viewpoint Survey ranking in the entire federal government. You have to can AND do something to promote positive change!

Advice to Senior ManagementI have learned we only can keep 4% of our profits at the end of the year and anything beyond that must go to pay off the national debt (which is ridiculous anyway), but spend as much of that 4% on rewarding your top laborers - as the economy improves and more jobs become available they are bound to leave NARA and a mass exodus is not what I want to have to come back in and fix like I did in Colorado in the Private Sector - with a new bachelors degree and my experience you can bet I will be the one setting my salary should NARA be so foolish as to let that happen in my career span - NARA can't afford it.

Leadership lacking, Poor organizational culture

(Current Employee)

ProsOK benefits. Liberal leave policy, Flexible schedules. Interesting co-workers. Interesting documents. People outside the agency think you have an interesting job.

ConsDisorganized. Rampant favoritism. Severe deficiency of leadership skills with supervisors and managers. Clueless senior leadership. Managers lack people skills. Poor performers are not dealt with. No room for advancement. Communication from managers and supervisors deficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. You are not the best thing since sliced bread. Your leadership skills are deficient. This is the reason why you are on the bottom of the FedView Survey.

Archive Aid (Pathways Program)

Archives Aid (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPaid Holidays, Great work schedule, easy work, and good work environment

ConsNo Benefits, Temporary position, No real advancement

Great definable experience, learned a lot of things that will push me forward in the future.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLocation, Its a great place to tell people you work in the same building that houses the Charter of Freedom.

ConsLack of responsibility on management part.

My experience was not so great.

Student (Former Employee) Spanish Lake, MO

ProsThe compensation and hourly pay is very nice. Also the sick and annual sick leave is great. This job is intended for students so they make it very flexible according to your schedule.

ConsThe management at NARA is horrible and very backwards. You get promoted doing mediocre work. If you excel and succeed at your job, you are kept where you are.

Good but old

Archives Technician (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat Benefits. Flexible hours, great insurance and a good amount of paid time off plus 11 holidays. A friendly environment too.

ConsThe pay is not competitive at all. At least for me the job is very boring and tedious. I'm not motivated to work hard as the bonuses aren't worth the extra effort.

Worked for US National Archives and Records Administration? Contribute to the Community!