US National Guard

www.arng.army.mil

US National Guard Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Frank J. Grass

Pros
  • Opportunity to serve your country, to earn educational benefits and learn important life skills(in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits, Helps pay for school, pretty decent pay for little experience(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family and missing important family functions(in 7 reviews)

• low compensation, late compensation and long hours(in 12 reviews)

Good way to continue to serve after leaving active duty, but frustrating at times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPros are continuing to serve, opportunity to earn your retirement, education benefits are top notch.

ConsSometimes the professionalism is lacking, and is highly dependent on the culture. Sometimes leaders have too much tenure and it is not good for command climate.

Best Decision in my life

ProsGreat job structure, Caring employers who want to see you succeed, room for growth. Ability to change your position in the military as long as you meet the criteria. Excellent benefits. Give your a definite sense of purpose and camaraderie

ConsLarge time commitment, prepare to move around the country more than you are comfortable with.

Advice to Senior ManagementConside the work-life balance of employees, Increase compensation, employees don't get enough honestly.

A lifetime of Camaraderie. Brothers forever. Training for a real Job

Senior Supply NCO (Former Employee) Elizabethton, TN

ProsGreat training opprutunities for real jobs in the civilian world.
    Tuition Assistance.
    Part time job with tremendous benefits. (Medical Insurance-College TA-GI Bill-Training)

ConsTraining oppurtunites for advancement has to be earned.
    Some jobs do not advance as fast as others.
    Schools are located in other states
    Full time jobs availibilty

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport new recruits in their journey towards their goals for promotion and training.
    Encourage reenlistment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recruiting NCOIC

ProsBeing a soldier, money, benefits

Consaggrivation, long hours keeping up with changes

Great organization!

ProsFind something you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life - I really have enjoyed the people and the mission - even when it brought me to Iraq or Afghanistan.

ConsAfter 30 years of commissioned service you need to leave the organization and make room for the young guys

Enlisted Soldier Review

ProsThere are many pros to being Enlisted in the Army. The main pros are:
    -The People
    -The Benefits
    -The Experiences home and abroad
    -Honor
    -Pride

ConsThe cons of being an enlisted soldier:
    -The Pay
    -The Contractual Agreements
    -Hours at times can be difficult with a family
    -Deployments you may or may not agree with.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is everything. An enlisted soldier will do anything for a leader who is willing to do it themselves.

Not a bad experience

Team Leader (Current Employee) Geneva, NY

ProsGood opportunities, learn things you can't anywhere else. Freedom to still have your own life while serving.

ConsCan make maintaining civilian employment difficult. There is a degree of good ole boy system at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMOre should be based on merit, not who likes who.

Unrealistic expectations due to downsizing and budget constraints.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs a soldier, serving your country is a great honor, and priveledge. Pay and benefits are very competetive.

ConsDue to downsizing of the organization due to budget cuts, the environment changed to a cutthroat and overly competetive battlefield where colleagues undermine and sabotage each other to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility for your actions and take care of your people who have been faithful to you.

What an experience!

Cannon Crew Member (Former Employee) Fort Sill, OK

ProsI believe there are many great benwfits to working for this Army. For me, the best reasons to work here are the experiences you receive during and the lessons you are taught after. I loved the experience.

ConsNow the challenges are a little more annoying. If you can take sleeping uncomfortably, eating crappy food, and working all day while learning great things, then the army is for you.

Retirement after 25 years

Battalion Supply SGT (Current Employee) Lawton, OK

ProsYou can retire after 20 years with 50% of your pay.

ConsTime away from family and missing important family functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to work hard and do more than your share to get promoted.

Worked for US National Guard? Contribute to the Community!