US Navy

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

(1,311 ratings)

3,288 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Free medical and dental while you are in the service"
    in 135 reviews
  • "The opportunity to travel to a country you may never have seen or thought about"
    in 112 reviews
Cons:
  • "Deployments away from family can be tough but that is why you get paid"
    in 367 reviews
  • "Being away from home, sometimes have to work with people you don't like"
    in 240 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Military Service

ProsCompensation, leave policies, career opportunities and training to support, patriotic mission, travel opportunities

ConsChildish leadership at times, time away from family

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on important things associated with accomplishing mission vice pet projects.

I am a Naval officer with just over 6 years experience.

ProsJob security is great. Lots of Travel opportunities. Able to get medical benifits as well as educational benifits.

Consleavining family and friends for long periods of time is the worst thing about it. There can also be bosses that you do not want to work for but have to.

Great job if you enjoy traveling.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsYou can travel to multiple locations, and it varies depending on your job title. Great benefits and programs for single people or families.

ConsMove around often, and not always the best working hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for the junior sailors. Someday they will be where you are and need to know how to do their job and be a leader.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very secure and safe benefits, hard to beat.

E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, First Class (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsBenefits, travel to places people spend lots to see. Great training for life after the Navy. The people you meet and lifetime friendships. 20 years has been good to me overall.

ConsTravel is bitter sweet, leaving family sucks but the experience is awesome. Feeling like you have no freedom some days (you have more freedom in the Navy than you think though). Communication from higher ups is disorganized but thought to be organized.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Highly demanding yet satisfying organization to be a part of

Aviation Electrician (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsServe your country
    great experience
    decent pay, great benifits
    get to travel

Conspossibly placed in dangerous/hazardous situations
    high tempo
    deployments

Navy provides opportunities for further education and experience.

Engineering Duty Officer (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsVery rewarding. Great training and leadership experience, great responsibility at a junior level..

ConsRestricted growth. Must give dues before promoting. Cannot promote before you hit wickets.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor surface warriors, don't eat your young. Nuture and train. Good talent leaves for better opportunity. You are hemorrhaging good people.

"Fly Navy!"

Naval Aviator (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat opportunity to travel, meet a large diversity of people, and gain experience.

ConsCommunication can lack sometimes if the supervisor's not engage. Some Jobs have a low promotion rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget to give recognition to members if they earn it.

A great place to start a career.

Computer Scientist (Current Employee)
    China Lake, CA

ProsMany learning opportunities. Bathtub curve demographics gives young hires an opportunity to take on a lot of responsibility early.

ConsCons are the same of what would be typical of any govt. job. Lower pay than industry, things moving slower, lots of bureaucracy etc..

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten management structure. More managers working than there ever should be. Has alot to do with management being the only growth path.

Best Navy in the World

ProsI have been employed by the United States Navy for the past 24 years. During this time, the Navy has provided education, management experience, travel and promotional opportunities to all its sailors. Where else can you see the world and experience different cultures all the while serving your country. I would encourage all to experience the Navy. It's not a job, it's an adventure.

ConsManagement does not hire based on job performance and refuses to compensate employees for job tasks they are performing outside of their position description

Why the Navy was good to me

E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, First Class (Current Employee)
    Honolulu, HI

ProsThe Navy was an amazing opportunity for me to grow and figure out the person I am and above all else I was able to do things that no other person my age could have done. The Base Pay is mediocre at best; however, the bonuses and extra allowances more than make up for it. The benefits were the icing on the cake because I spent my whole life wearing glasses and I received Lasik eye surgery without paying a dime because it was covered under my healthcare insurance.

ConsThe opportunities for advancement in the enlisted side are not very good depending on the chosen Military Occupation. The time away from home is not ideal, but the shore duty makes up for it. Unless the Navy is a career choice you will have a hard time finding employment making a comparable salary once you finish your contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the advancement process

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!

US Navy Videos

US Navy – Why Work for Us?

A Life-Changing Opportunity Waiting It’s not just the world-class training, competitive salary, generous benefits and opportunities to earn an advanced education. It’s more than the immense responsibilities Navy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Navy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Navy CEO Ray Mabus. All 3,288 reviews posted anonymously by US Navy employees.