US Navy

3.9 3,343 reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

(1,337 ratings)

Pros
  • Free medical and dental while you are in the service(in 146 reviews)

• The opportunity to travel to a country you may never have seen or thought about(in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family is the only issue, but we manage the time we have very well(in 394 reviews)

• The time away from home is not ideal, but the shore duty makes up for it(in 256 reviews)

3,343 Employee Reviews

Excellent Career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRDT&E work was very challenging and rewarding.

ConsAdministrative paperwork grew and grew during career.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be the shield and lightning rod for the folks with boots on the ground.

US Navy Service

Naval Officer (Current Employee) Everett, WA

ProsJob security, sense of mission, great people, retirement plan, sense of duty

ConsMultiple moves, impact on family live

Advice to Senior ManagementHave policies that balance mission and people that are more than just words.

Navy

O3 - Navy - Lieutenant (Current Employee) Key West, FL

ProsPride in work, helping others, training, leadership opportunities

Consschedules constantly change, redundant paperwork, long processes that could be shortened

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out meaningless paperwork, streamline workflows, allow leaders to lead

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Petty Officer Third Class/Electronic Technician

Electronic Technician (Current Employee) Great Lakes, IL

ProsThis was a life-changing experience for me. I have been a veteran for three years and this experience opened the door for many opportunities.

ConsYou have to pal the game. You may often feel as if you are being micro-managed and undervalued. You have to rise to the top by showing your superiors that you are consistently hard working despite the daily challenges you face.

Officer

ProsIt's a great way of life.

ConsDeployments are hard but necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep treating the sailors right, and steam forward!

Good and bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of your decisions are already made for you like: what you're going to eat, where you're going to sleep, where you're going to work, what you're going to wear, etc. This relieves some of the stress associated with making these kinds of decisions.

ConsHowever, there are a number of other stressors that will take it's place.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit a few smart people with attractive salaries, instead of a whole boatload of idiots.

Life experiences come at a great cost

Nuclear Mechanical Operator (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros-Opportunity to serve your country
    -Learn skills and experience opportunities at a young age that are highly sought after in the civilian career marketplace
    -Post 9/11 Montgomery GI Bill is an extraordinary program for furthering education
    -Ability to retire after 20 years of service with the best benefits in the world
    -An abundance of opportunities to travel and visit foreign nations and experience a multitude of cultures

Cons-Long periods of time away from home and family, which are only getting longer and with more uncertainty
    -Limited number of locations to work from, and may be forced to move from a location you desire to stay in
    -Consistently ranked as one of the most, if not the most, stressful careers to engage in

Advice to Senior ManagementToo often I hear, "We can't afford to lose you...we need everyone we have to execute the mission." Which often enough is accompanied with a general lack of genuine concern for the sailor on a personal level where there desires and needs are addressed. Translation I perceive is, "We care about you as a number in meeting manning requirements."

Sailed the world, and experienced life at its fullest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMet many different people all around the world of different backgrounds and nations.

ConsLeaving family and loved ones behind for long periods and on holiday's and birthdays

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the good work.

Any guy under the age of thirty should join the military.

F/A-18 Pilot (Current Employee) Lemoore, CA

ProsExperience doing unique things that you cannot do anywhere else, landing on aircraft carriers at night.
    Excitement
    Adventure
    Responsibility
    Great Travel
    Working with like minded people your age is nice.

ConsAway from home a lot.
    Little say on where you are stationed.
    Signing bonuses going away for lot of the community. Pilots still have it, but most other areas have lost the bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove human captial flow. Great job early on at routing the right people into the right positions, but the Navy struggles to properly place people at around the ten year mark.

Great

ProsGreat place to work for!

ConsNone its a great place to work!

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!