US Navy

3.9 3,376 reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

(1,359 ratings)

Pros
  • Free medical and dental while you are in the service(in 147 reviews)

• The opportunity to travel to a country you may never have seen or thought about(in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family is the only issue, but we manage the time we have very well(in 398 reviews)

• The time away from home is not ideal, but the shore duty makes up for it(in 260 reviews)

3,376 Employee Reviews

Excellent Career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRDT&E work was very challenging and rewarding.

ConsAdministrative paperwork grew and grew during career.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be the shield and lightning rod for the folks with boots on the ground.

Loved every potato peeling, tomahawk shootin', sand poundin', second of it

Fire Control Technician/Navy Diver (Submarines) (Former Employee) Groton, CT

ProsThe opportunity to have a rigid structure and uniform expectations for any young man is essential in being responsible. There was no shortage of this in the Navy, and being that everyone was held to the same standard, you immediately knew where you stood.

ConsIf you don't have a good sense of situational and self awareness, this isn't for you. People lacking these essential attributes usually spell complicate things for others. (And when i say complicate, i mean hurt or kill).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Navy is a great place for tradition, opportunity, and growth. It wasn't until my 15 Month Individual Augmentation deployment to Iraq, did i realize what a great job the Navy had provided me. Working with the Army, our Coalition Military Advisory Training Team was considered heads and tales above the Army's. (An admission from our Army Commanding Officer) The opportunity to use all the basic life and combat skills the Army had trained us on and the mentality of ownership and dedication the Navy instilled really made us successful. In short if i were to give "Management" any advice, send us out on more deployments with the Army. It was a welcome change after 3 sea deployments on a sub.

Petty Officer Third Class/Electronic Technician

Electronic Technician (Current Employee) Great Lakes, IL

ProsThis was a life-changing experience for me. I have been a veteran for three years and this experience opened the door for many opportunities.

ConsYou have to pal the game. You may often feel as if you are being micro-managed and undervalued. You have to rise to the top by showing your superiors that you are consistently hard working despite the daily challenges you face.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Officer

ProsIt's a great way of life.

ConsDeployments are hard but necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep treating the sailors right, and steam forward!

Great paid training and benefits plan, Senior leadership in some command take advantage of junior personnel

Avionics Technician (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsPaid training, full healthcare: medical, dental, vision, free housing on military base, housing allowance for off-base living, food allowance, sea pay for deployments, thrift saving plan for retirement fund, tuition reimbursement with GI bill, annual clothing allowance for uniforms

ConsThe work and personnel life balance is a strain depending on the command. Ship's company personnel experience this the most. Especially difficult for undermanned areas. It requires more well rounded individuals to fill many roles to meet mission requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior and middle management needs to groom junior personnel to eventually replace them. Withholding knowledge will only limit the productivity of departments and result in too many individuals which can not support other roles with other personnel are not available.

Navy

Prosgood benefit. especially the GI Bill.

Conslong working hours.a lot of thieves. LoL

Any guy under the age of thirty should join the military.

F/A-18 Pilot (Current Employee) Lemoore, CA

ProsExperience doing unique things that you cannot do anywhere else, landing on aircraft carriers at night.
    Excitement
    Adventure
    Responsibility
    Great Travel
    Working with like minded people your age is nice.

ConsAway from home a lot.
    Little say on where you are stationed.
    Signing bonuses going away for lot of the community. Pilots still have it, but most other areas have lost the bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove human captial flow. Great job early on at routing the right people into the right positions, but the Navy struggles to properly place people at around the ten year mark.

Sailed the world, and experienced life at its fullest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMet many different people all around the world of different backgrounds and nations.

ConsLeaving family and loved ones behind for long periods and on holiday's and birthdays

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the good work.

The Navy is what you make it

Aviation Electrician (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsLots of adventure
    Benefits are great
    A lot of room for growth

ConsEvery place is different
    Sometimes it seems like high school

Life experiences come at a great cost

Nuclear Mechanical Operator (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros-Opportunity to serve your country
    -Learn skills and experience opportunities at a young age that are highly sought after in the civilian career marketplace
    -Post 9/11 Montgomery GI Bill is an extraordinary program for furthering education
    -Ability to retire after 20 years of service with the best benefits in the world
    -An abundance of opportunities to travel and visit foreign nations and experience a multitude of cultures

Cons-Long periods of time away from home and family, which are only getting longer and with more uncertainty
    -Limited number of locations to work from, and may be forced to move from a location you desire to stay in
    -Consistently ranked as one of the most, if not the most, stressful careers to engage in

Advice to Senior ManagementToo often I hear, "We can't afford to lose you...we need everyone we have to execute the mission." Which often enough is accompanied with a general lack of genuine concern for the sailor on a personal level where there desires and needs are addressed. Translation I perceive is, "We care about you as a number in meeting manning requirements."

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!