US Navy

US Navy Reviews in Hanford, CA

Updated Jul 15, 2014

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

Pros
  • Free medical and dental while you are in the service(in 146 reviews)

• The opportunity to travel to a country you may never have seen or thought about(in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family is the only issue, but we manage the time we have very well(in 394 reviews)

• The time away from home is not ideal, but the shore duty makes up for it(in 256 reviews)

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Any guy under the age of thirty should join the military.

F/A-18 Pilot (Current Employee) Lemoore, CA

ProsExperience doing unique things that you cannot do anywhere else, landing on aircraft carriers at night.
    Excitement
    Adventure
    Responsibility
    Great Travel
    Working with like minded people your age is nice.

ConsAway from home a lot.
    Little say on where you are stationed.
    Signing bonuses going away for lot of the community. Pilots still have it, but most other areas have lost the bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove human captial flow. Great job early on at routing the right people into the right positions, but the Navy struggles to properly place people at around the ten year mark.

Stability

E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee) Lemoore, CA

ProsSteady pay check. Highly recommended for starting job.

ConsAdvancement is by test scores. If you are not a good test taker, it might be awhile before you get the pay increase

A great experience, which taught me a lot.

Aviation Electrician (Former Employee) Lemoore, CA

ProsIn the Navy one can learn very technical job skills, which will benefit them if and when they decide to get out or retire from service. One can also utilize the GI Bill program to get a free college education!

ConsSome of the places one has to travel to and being away from your family are not always the best of times. Depending on your chosen rate (job) you can also be put into some very dangerous situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a better solution/s to keep the talent and get rid of those just sitting around collecting a paycheck!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great stepping stone to advance your life

E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee) Lemoore, CA

ProsGreat benefits, free education, On the Job trainig in hundreds of fields, leadership training. Great people to work with and a lot of growth potential.

ConsNo choice in where you live and maybe not even what your going to do in the Navy. Deployments can be extremely rough on families.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe orders "negotiation" process is completely broken. Everyone is "needs of the navy". I personally couldn't get a PCS to a different duty station because I have 6 dependents, However, the Navy spent nearly $20,000 in ambulance rides getting my daughter to the hospital due to the area we were forced to stay in.

I was an Aviation Mechanic during the first Gulf War, during the second Gulf War I was a member of the Military Police.

Aviation Mechanic/Military Police (Former Employee) Lemoore Naval Air Station, CA

ProsCamaraderie between your coworkers, team work and attention to detail. Everyone knows exactly what their job is and they do it as it is supposed to be done. You don't have to micromanage the people that work for you.

ConsEverything that needs to be done while aboard ship needs to be done with the utmost speed and accuracy in order to get the planes flying on time. But with the good people around you, it gets done and done right.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the people that work underneath you with respect and consideration. They are the ones who matter.

Great place to work.

Avionics Technician (Current Employee) Lemoore Nas, CA

Prosgood health benefits, decent pay, room for advancement

Consdemanding chain of command, high stress environment

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your junior sailors do their job and stop micromanaging.

Terrible for family life, easy job if you don't mind being separated from family.

Avionics Technician (Former Employee) Lemoore Naval Air Station, CA

ProsThe compensation, while meager if looked at from an hourly perspective, is not too bad especially when you're deployed. I learned some things in their training.

ConsI spent 15 months out of 4 years deployed in the gulf, and spent a total of more than half of the 4 years separated physically from my family. I knew I was likely to deploy, but the promised 6 months away, 18 months home thing didn't pan out!

US Navy - A great way to accelerate your life.

Navy O-5 Commander (Current Employee) Lemoore Naval Air Station, CA

ProsHonor, Courage, Commitment, Selfless Service to our Nations people.

ConsLong deployments (8-9 months away from Family).

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd bonus for Duty Stations that Sailor avoid (NAS Lemoore) or you will continue to see retention drop and the loss of quality Aviators and Sailors.

Great and made for success!

Aviation Electrician First Class (Former Employee) Lemoore Naval Air Station, CA

ProsThe US Navy does everything possible to set you up for success. The pay is good as you make rank and the work gets easier as you make rank.

ConsTime away from family is difficult, but you get to travel the world. The work is stressful when underway on a ship, but there is also a sea shore rotation so it doesn't last forever.

Naval Aviator

comraderie
    travel the world
    challenging job

Consdeployments away from home
    not having "control" of your own life
    having to move all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your people the time they need with families when not deployed

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!