US Navy

US Navy Reviews in Hawaii

Updated Jul 16, 2014

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

Pros
  • Free medical and dental while you are in the service(in 146 reviews)

• The opportunity to travel to a country you may never have seen or thought about(in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family is the only issue, but we manage the time we have very well(in 394 reviews)

• The time away from home is not ideal, but the shore duty makes up for it(in 256 reviews)

103 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best experience, wish I was still in.

Construction Electrician (CE3)/Cross Rated to Master At Arms (Former Employee) Pearl Harbor, HI

ProsJob training, travel, life experiences

ConsHard to advance in certain rates due to you are going up against the entire fleet versus your command.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for the wonderful experience.

A leg up on others once you are out but you pay dearly for that opportunity.

Nuclear Electrician's Mate and Work Center Supervisor (Former Employee) Pearl Harbor, HI

Pros*NUKE ELECTRICIAN ON A FAST ATTACK* Great overall technical training, all the information is easy to access for any kind of system you want to learn. Gives you a good work ethic and ability to absorb pain compared to the common American.

ConsAbsolutely horrible culture at the top. The Navy has become an organization of who can blame others the quickest or abuse their power the most. ****In reality, the reason the Navy is absolutely horrible is one simple reason: the good people get out, the worthless and others unfit for leadership or capable of existing in todays society stay in and eventually become your leaders.**** In addition to that key point, the Navy is trying to write the dumb out of humans with procedures; it doesnt work. The Navy has decreased its training program difficulty levels to points where personnel who should not succeed - do. This causes accidents and other procedural violations later in life which are then punished. Do us all a favor and instead of risking your submariner's lives, filter those who shouldnt be there out prior to them ever getting the chance to hurt us.

Advice to Senior ManagementBurn all your procedures, completely fire all of your personnel and start over.

A great experience with the opportunities for growth both professionally and personal.

Telecommunications (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsYou get free training, experience, and you can work on your college degree. The opportunity to travel to some very exotic ports and live in some of the most amazing places.
    You meet some great people and you work as a team to accomplish the mission.
    I would do it all over again.

ConsBeing away from home and family.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people well and you will see have a successful company!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Valuable skillsets and marketable experiences of a lifetime in only 20yrs.

Sonar Supervisor (Former Employee) Pearl Harbor, HI

ProsBenefits (medical, dental, dependents)
    Travel (Navy pays, so Navy picks the destinations)
    Training and experience you CANNOT get in college

ConsPay is "competitive" - if you account for the non-financial bennies.
    Long hours, extremely challenging work environments (submarines)
    Abnormal mix of great people and retarded leaders. And vice versa.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the 8hr watch rotation scheme on submarines. The fatigue is going to cost this experiment a submarine.

The best decision I ever made.

Cryptologic Technician: Interpreter (Aka Linguist) (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsThe U.S. Navy opened the door to almost limitless opportunity. Being in the Navy was often pretty miserable, but the experience is what you make of it, and if you are driven and creative, you can use your experience to go anywhere.

ConsIt's actually a very simple, easy lifestyle, and gives relatively high pay. The main drawbacks are lack of freedom (e.g. to live where you want, to pursue other passions etc.) and an environment that doesn't really incentivize hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to reward your best guys, and reward them promptly.

What you make of it.

Nuclear Electrician (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsStable employment, competitive salary, exception benefits, travel, great training program.

ConsYou could get shot at, long working hours, contractual obligations, career change in not an option, lengthy chain or command, the military.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more concern for your people and practice common sense instead of status quo more often.

Human Resources Assistant

Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsJob security and paid holidays

ConsPromotion possibility is limited. Employees who do not have a desire to promote and excel may be satisfied with holding this type of position but those who desire to excel and promote have very limited options.

Advice to Senior ManagementConvert the positions to have promotion potential when workers apply themselves and excel at their jobs.

Travel the world, see coastlines!

Submarine Division Officer (Former Employee) Pearl Harbor, HI

ProsBenefits
    Pay/special pays/Bonuses
    Available Services (Stores/gym/other base facilities)
    Training available for certain positions and areas

ConsExtremely Political Advancement
    Top leaders generally don't value deck plate leaders
    Poor Quality of Life (Long deployments/fewer port visits/more restrictions while in foreign countries)

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your junior sailors and Junior Officers, and take care of them. If you do they will take care of you.

CTN - good until you get good, then you're worth more than they'll ever pay you.

Cryptologic Technician Networks (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsTraining. They'll train you like crazy and give you a skillset that is uncommon in the civilian world. Clearance helps too.

ConsAfter you get over the first 3 years, the military life starts to drag on you. You see contractors doing what you do, making 2x as much, and you start wondering "what am I doing here"

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer $$$$ incentives beyond just reenlistment bonuses, otherwise you'll never keep your CTNs.

You put up with a lot of crap, but the benefits are worth it if you just wanna get in and out.

Aviation Warfare Systems Operator (Current Employee) M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

ProsI have made a lot of money because they stationed me in Hawaii and I recieved a masters degree free of cost. I still have a GI bill for when I get out.

ConsDepending on your position, it can really stress you out. I wanted to die at one point and 5 of my fellow shipmates have committed suicide since joining. People talk smack that the military isn't a big sacrifice because we aren't in a middle of WW3 but they have no clue what it takes.

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!