US Navy

4,130 Reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus
Ray Mabus
1,643 Ratings

Pros
  • you have a paycheck every two weeks no matter what you get full medical and dental benefits (in 170 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country (in 134 reviews)

Cons
  • You will have to be away from family at long periods of time for deployments (in 460 reviews)

• Being away from home might be a little too hard for others so be aware of that (in 297 reviews)

More Highlights

126 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sub Duty isn't worth it

Former Employee - Nuclear Submarine Officer in Pearl Harbor, HI
    Former Employee - Nuclear Submarine Officer in Pearl Harbor, HI

I worked at US Navy

Pros

Adventure, incredible responsibility at an early age, excellent training, discipline, save plenty of money (because you don't have time to spend it)

Cons

Schadenfreude culture, people ignorantly think that memorizing manuals is somehow equivalent to writing the manuals, little time for life besides submarine, people seem angrier / less happy the higher up they are

Hold a critique as to why JO retention is so bad / Academy grads are being "volunteered" for subs.

Know what you are getting into

Current Employee - O3 - Navy - Lieutenant in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI
    Current Employee - O3 - Navy - Lieutenant in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Personal development, leadership potential, educational incentives, travel opportunities, fantastic peer groups

Cons

Bureaucracy, family life, micromanagement, and a narrow "golden path" to advancement that devalues variations from the common career pipeline

Implement a 360 review similar to that used by the Army. There are an unhealthy amount of toxic leaders within the Navy, especially within the blue water Navy.

Accelerate your life

Current Employee - E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, First Class in Pearl Harbor, HI
    Current Employee - E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, First Class in Pearl Harbor, HI

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Good people and great experiances

Cons

Long hours and no time with family

Got to do what you got to do

An amazing experience you only have once in a lifetime

Former Employee - Air Warfare Systems Operator in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI
    Former Employee - Air Warfare Systems Operator in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I traveled the world with some of the smartest and hardest working people in the world. Everyday was a challenge and I learned to do things I never thought I could. The Navy taught me how to be the best I can possibly be.

Cons

The work is hard. Being away from family and friends for months or even years at a time can wreak havoc on relationships.

The Navy has changed over the years to become something different. It's easier than ever to be kicked out of the armed services for tattoos or minor infractions. There is a certain type of person who joins the armed services and I hope the best aren't being routed out for PR purposes.

Great Job Security

Former Employee - Linguist in Pearl Harbor, HI
    Former Employee - Linguist in Pearl Harbor, HI

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is great once you get used to the rhythm of deployment rotation. The sea-shore rotation of linguists is a bit different than other jobs. You spend more of your time on shore, or deploying. Bonus pay is good, if you can keep your annual language test scores up. The Navy experience is well known for its travel, and its careers are as rewarding as they are difficult.

Cons

Regimented career path. Few duty stations open to you. Little time at sea also means fewer experiences shared with your shipmates, less time to study for sea-specific insignia (Surface/Subsurface Warfare Specialist pins). Like the rest of the military, you'll usually find yourself being micromanaged throughout your day. Your coworkers are also usually fairly intelligent which is a pro, but the field has its large share of oddballs!

Submarine nuke ET

Former Employee - Submarine Nuclear ET in Pearl Harbor, HI
    Former Employee - Submarine Nuclear ET in Pearl Harbor, HI

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with good opportunity for rapid advancement. Leadership roles can be assumed within a year. Training is valuable for post navy career.

Cons

90+ hour weeks for five years straight. Deployments involve extended time away from and very limited communication with friends and family. Nuclear work is very bureaucratic and much time is wasted just getting set up for a days work.

Not for everyone

Current Employee - E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class in Pearl Harbor, HI
    Current Employee - E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class in Pearl Harbor, HI

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, People, Compensation, Personnel

Cons

Work schedule, Travel, Soul-sucking, Training,

I had a joyful enlistment.

Former Employee - P-3 Flight Engineer in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI
    Former Employee - P-3 Flight Engineer in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, great benefits, payed vacation, lots of travel.

Cons

Deployments into dangerous areas of the world, lack of freedom to choose where to live and travel.

you will get out what you put in

Current Employee - E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

there are great things about the Navy. You get medical benefits... maybe not the best medical benefits but they will take care of you. They will pay for you to get an education. You have the opportunity to do some of the coolest things in the world and meet some of the best people in the world.

Cons

If you are a family person, it can make it hard being on deployment. They don't hire the brightest people. They have a fix it until it breaks attitude.

Great place to work an took care of family. Traveling is good if your single. Never have to worry.

Former Employee - Nuclear Electronics Technician First Class in Pearl Harbor, HI

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, family oriented. Fasted paced and good people to work with.

Cons

Treated like a number and not a person.

none