US Navy

US Navy Reviews in Norfolk, VA

Updated Jul 22, 2014

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

Pros
  • Free medical and dental while you are in the service(in 146 reviews)

• The opportunity to travel to a country you may never have seen or thought about(in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family is the only issue, but we manage the time we have very well(in 394 reviews)

• The time away from home is not ideal, but the shore duty makes up for it(in 256 reviews)

520 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Exceptional experience that helped me reach my full potential.

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsProvides opportunities to grow both personally and professionally all while serving this great nation!

ConsBe prepared to serve aboard a ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolicit input from all members.

Aviation Maintenance Master Chief. Manage all personnel responsible for the maintnance, repair, and upkeep of aviation

Master Chief Petty Officer (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsPersonnel have an excellent work ethic, able to learn a abundance of skills, one of the best opportunities to lead a large department (300-400 personnel) an gain valuable experience.

Cons20+ hours per day, seven days per week while deployed,

Great way to set yourself up for your future

Supply Officer (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

Proslots of benefits such as tuition and medical

Conslot of deployments for extended timeframes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best pay, benefits, and experience!

E-6 US Navy (Former Employee) Yorktown, VA

ProsYou will never gain more experience and life change in any other job. Visit countless locations around the world and get paid to do it. Good luck trying to spend less than $2,000 trying to visit a foreign country on your own dime (Mexico & Canada excluded).

Education: Get 100% TA for 16 credits per year. When you separate, all college tuition is free, get $1000 per year for books, and have rent or mortgage paid for (just for being a student). Its like a full-ride scholarship. You can also let you family use it.

Medical: All of you medical care and treatment is free for you and your dependents.

Life Insurance: 400K for you, and 100K for each family member for just a few bucks per month.

The Pros go on and on, but I just wanted to highlight a few.

ConsShared living spaces on the ship. Several months away from your loved ones. However, I was fortunate to have only 6-7 month deployments and not the 1-2 year deployments like the Army and Air Force. A lot of respect for our Soldiers and Airmen.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful to not make it too much like a civilian corporation. Also, please tell the media to stop portraying our income levels as minimum wage or less. They are using data from the E-1 pay-grade and not taking other pays into account

It has been an amazing and painful ride. But I would trade it for anything.

Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsI get the chance to do things I would have never thought possible. I've pushed myself way out of my comfort zone and I like it.

ConsI've traveled a lot which is great. But it has also been at a huge expense of time with family and I've lost relationships because of the distance.

Aircraft Mechanic

Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

Prospaid time off, personal growth, allowances, educational benefits, travel.

ConsYou will spend a lot of time away from family.

Advice to Senior Managementwork life balance

Great paid training and benefits plan, Senior leadership in some command take advantage of junior personnel

Avionics Technician (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsPaid training, full healthcare: medical, dental, vision, free housing on military base, housing allowance for off-base living, food allowance, sea pay for deployments, thrift saving plan for retirement fund, tuition reimbursement with GI bill, annual clothing allowance for uniforms

ConsThe work and personnel life balance is a strain depending on the command. Ship's company personnel experience this the most. Especially difficult for undermanned areas. It requires more well rounded individuals to fill many roles to meet mission requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior and middle management needs to groom junior personnel to eventually replace them. Withholding knowledge will only limit the productivity of departments and result in too many individuals which can not support other roles with other personnel are not available.

The Navy is what you make it

Aviation Electrician (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsLots of adventure
    Benefits are great
    A lot of room for growth

ConsEvery place is different
    Sometimes it seems like high school

Great Opportunities: Work Hard, Develop Crucial Skills

Naval Aviator (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsPerformance is rewarded; quick learners who sustain performance are rewarded, quickly. Best part is learning to lead people, to communicate up and down the chain of command, to thrive under pressure. Pay is low at first, but catches up over the long haul. Awesome social community, at least in aviation. Driving to work, even when you know a long hard day is ahead, is still a good drive, because of the people you work with and the personal and organization accomplishments you are able to accomplish ... and get recognized for. Also, I loved the opportunities to work and live in different countries around the world.

ConsWhen you finally get married and have kids, moving every three years can get old (but not always), and long deployments definitely get old when you have kids. Everything other "con" is more of an occasional exception to the rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to take care of your senior enlisted and your mid-level officers. Empower them to take care of the more junior enlisted and junior officers. Reduce the number of admirals - to often they switch from being great leaders (as CAPTs) into becoming self-serving politicians (as RDMLs).

Great opportunities to succeed and fail.

Instructor (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsDepending on whom you are stationed with, it can be an awesome experience.

ConsDepending on whom you are stationed with, it can be an terrible experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are people who want you to succeed, you need to be genuinely interested in their success as well.

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!