US Navy

3,896 Reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus
Ray Mabus
1,566 Ratings

Pros
  • you have a paycheck every two weeks no matter what you get full medical and dental benefits (in 167 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country (in 134 reviews)

Cons
  • You will have to be away from family at long periods of time for deployments (in 446 reviews)

• Being away from home might be a little too hard for others so be aware of that (in 289 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Got to see the world and make new friends. Learn alot about my job trade. Get real world experience. And have fun.

Cons

Being away for family for a couple years at a time. Its takes one guy to do the job but eight more to tell me how.

Can't really say to much. Too bad they are kicking good sailors out and letting the sh*tbags stay in. But thats the new navy.

Being a Missile Technician (Submarine) was the most challenging and transformational experience of my life.

Former Employee - Missile Technician in Silverdale, WA
    Former Employee - Missile Technician in Silverdale, WA

I worked at US Navy as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extensive training (about 2 years of schooling), E-5 leadership, having unique experiences, being pushed beyond what I thought I could ever accomplish. The Post-911 G.I. Bill is great for getting a college education (especially after finishing/retiring from the Navy). On submarines, you may be able to travel based on the type you are stationed on - just do not rely on it.

Cons

Long-term there is not a lot of room for creativity; processes are very standard - and for really good reasons. Your experience varies based on the command you are stationed with. Duty rotations are subject to the needs of the Navy. I have had excellent commands for the most part, and was proud to serve with nearly everyone I worked with. Sea duty stations tend to have longer hours and are more arduous; shore duty stations vary but generally give you a better work/home life balance. Despite numerous safety measures, risk is inherent. Do not undertake this decision lightly.

Restructure promotion based on merits and actual performance, as well as true deck plate leadership. There are too many E-5s being promoted to management positions with no experience or ability to lead. Encourage critical thinking in streamlining work processes and incentivize sailors to do so. Incentives do not have to be financial - often times mere recognition or a bit of time off is more than sufficient.

Excellent Opportunities

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great start to long, healthy career, even after the Navy.

Cons

Not much cons, it's great.

Continue the pay increases.

Best Decision Ever Made.

Former Employee - Fire Control Man in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Fire Control Man in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, Benefits, and more Benefits.

Cons

Deployments are long and keep you away from family.

Reinforce Navy Core Values at Command Level with the same respect you learn in bootcamp. Officers were a joy to work with. Chiefs mess needs serious overhaul as the standards to make Chief must be better.

See the World,, drive ships, lead men and women

Former Employee - O4 - Navy - Lieutenant Commander in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - O4 - Navy - Lieutenant Commander in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As an Officer, it is a great opportunity to accept a high level of leadership and responsibility right out of college.

Cons

While the deployments to exotic foreign ports can be fun, the time away from home can be taxing on family life.

Continue to push advanced degree and education opportunities for all personnel while they are on shore duty.

Great opportunities if you put in the effort.

Current Employee - Master At Arms in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Master At Arms in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for travel and education. There are many advancement opportunities as long as you work for them.

Cons

Can seem like there is a lot of micro management. Family time can be difficult and there are times you have to be away from your family.

Trust your Saliors.

Best decision of my life so far!

Former Employee - Divisional TPO in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Divisional TPO in Norfolk, VA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Structure, benefits, continuous change, adaptability, authoritative positions, leadership training.

Cons

Work-life balance, diversity, boredom, uncertainty, evaluations.

Do not allow superiors to micro-manage. Nothing gets accomplished. Also, fire people that are not performing and let someone else who wants to step-up do so.

Firecontrolman

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Working with cool technology and weapons systems.

Cons

Working for idiots that think rank makes you smarter.

Loved the Navy!

Former Employee - Fire Controlman Second Class in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Fire Controlman Second Class in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The leadership and maturity that you gain as an adult is unlike anything you can gain in the civilian industry. The leadership and inter-personal skills are invaluable. In the end it all depends on your attitude, though. I loved the Navy so I learned a lot and took a lot from it.

Cons

Being away from family via standing duty (24 hours away from home), going underway for days or weeks at a time, etc.

Whether you're an Ensign or a Chief, just because you wear khaki's....don't forget where you came from and who actually has to do the work you are asking your people to do.

Physician Assistant, Family Medicine

Former Employee - Family Medicine PA in Kings Bay, GA
    Former Employee - Family Medicine PA in Kings Bay, GA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Esprit de corps, autonomy, invaluable experience, adventure, serving our active duty troops, veterans and family members, very reliable pay and benefits.

Cons

Must be willing to go where the Navy requires, with or without family, for extended periods of time. This can be a pro or con.