US Navy

3.9 3,383 reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

(1,361 ratings)

Pros
  • Free medical and dental while you are in the service(in 147 reviews)

• The opportunity to travel to a country you may never have seen or thought about(in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family is the only issue, but we manage the time we have very well(in 398 reviews)

• The time away from home is not ideal, but the shore duty makes up for it(in 260 reviews)

3,383 Employee Reviews

It's not just a job it is a career

ProsSteady pay great benefits awesome health insurance great retirement plan

ConsConstant away from family

Advice to Senior ManagementLead from the front

Rewarding

Department Head (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC

ProsTravel ability, salary increases with years in and degrees, great training opportunities, deployments

ConsWork a lot of hours (60-70/week) and miss out on family functions during deployments

Advice to Senior ManagementI have moved up the leadership chain due my willingness to work hard and obtain goals that I set for myself. The benefits in the long run when I retire will be great.

A global force for good

ProsYou get to serve and defend your country. The structured promotions, the ability to get training equivalent to that being offered in the civilian sector. The bonds you make with your co-workers last a life time.

ConsYou don't get paid for overtime. Deployments require you to be away from home for months at a time and you miss milestones with your family such as birthdays, holidays, graduations, anniversaries, first words, first steps, and on and on. People in different job sets promote faster than others and you have to deal with seeing someone brand new surpass you in rank and now you must take orders from them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sailor (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsWork with the best people in the world. This is a family. Go see the world....sort of.

ConsLong deployments and only getting longer. Ports are not as fun anymore. Lots of restrictions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat adults like adults and not children. Never forget where you can from.

Interesting experience over all

ProsYou get to see the world. You are stationed with new challenges and new places. You get big benefits once you retire after 20 years of service.

ConsYou are always away from home and hardly get to see your family or interact with them in public formats.

THE MOST AMAZING LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE , SO WORTH YOUR TIME !!!

E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsLike all things the pay is what your seeking , and there's no other job in the civilian sector that's going increase your pay semi-annually. The allowances and special pays are huge and that's not even talking about your base pay! The places you travel to on sea duty are breath taking, the friends you make will be forever and you'll never realize its the military all along. I'd join all over again if I could ... GOOD LUCK

ConsNow! There are lots of cons, family separation , low pay at first, unlimited working hours at you supervisors discretion, the way you can be treated, and the list goes on. Things tend not to make sense sometimes, it's a lot to remain in shape, get your education, have amazing work performance, and avoid the people who are negative. But my response to that is if it were easy everybody would do it, be brave make your life something to live.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you weren't always in the position that you are in, make way for young leaders.

It was the most educational and rewarding experience I have ever had.

Class A Store Keeper (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsTravel and expenses paid, free 3 meals and a cot! lots of friends.

Conson call 24/7 when duty calls. otherwise a normal job.

Aviation Electricians Mate Second Class

Aviation Electricians Mate (Former Employee) Lemoore, CA

ProsYou will make life long friends and amazing memories. This was one of the best experiences of my life, and if not for getting married I would want to stay in, maybe forever. You will do things you never thought possible.

ConsThere will ALWAYS be someone you hate working with, but you will not be able to get away from them. The Pay isn't wonderful haha, but its made up for with per diem and fun. Some days you are going to hate your life, but other days you are going to realize you are exactly where you want to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is always bad. Don't talk to people as if they don't understand anything. More awards should be given out to junior sailors.

Great job

Sona Technician (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsSense of pride ... Build life Long friendships good pay travel to see the world

ConsBeing away from family work enviroment constantly changing must be adaptive

great

Prosgood pay and nice customers to work with

Consmean navy staff and strict demands

Advice to Senior Managementlisten more talk less

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!