US Navy Reviews

3,768 Reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus
Ray Mabus
1,517 Ratings

Pros
  • you have a paycheck every two weeks no matter what you get full medical and dental benefits (in 159 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Being away from family work enviroment constantly changing must be adaptive (in 440 reviews)

• Being away from home might be a little too hard for others so be aware of that (in 288 reviews)

More Highlights

I would do it again if I could! Retired after 25 years.

Former Employee - Fire Control Technician CPO/Chief Warrant Officer III in Saint Marys, GA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Job satisfaction
    - Travel to all parts of the world
    - Camaraderie
    - Sense of belonging
    - Submarine life was great!

Cons

- Early in my career, we spent a lot of time away from home, but it's not that way anymore
    - If you happen to get stuck with a bad "Top 3" (C.O., X.O., COB (CMC)), life WILL be very difficult and morale WILL suffer
    - Too many dirtbags get promoted to Chief Petty Officer just because their job rating needs more Chiefs
    - Using education benefits and other things to entice people to join; people should join because they want to serve their country, not to milk the system for what THEY can get out of it

- Listen more to the junior enlisted personnel; they're the experts on the job
    - STOP buckling to political correctness (i.e., women on submarines, openly gay people being allowed to serve, etc.)
    - Get back to the "Work Hard, Play Hard" lifestyle of days gone by; that's the only way morale will improve

Positive experience obtained from military, great benefits during and after service

I worked at US Navy

Pros

Benefits- housing allowance, pay, life insurance, free medical and dental, free psychological counseling, comrade rue is unparalleled

Cons

Depending on the rating (job), advancement may or may not be easily attainable. Example: A rating that has a manning shortage will pretty much guarantee an advancement (upon yearly testing), regardless of performance, or even how terrible they score on the test. A rating that is over-manned (pretty common) will very rarely get advancement unless you get a perfect score on the tests, and even then, maybe not at all!

The golden rule will win you favor to those under you.

Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Midshipman in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Midshipman in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Health Care is great and your education is covered. You will developed into an Officer in the Navy upon commissioning.

Cons

You are the bottom of the Navy, but you have to start somewhere.

Don't micromanage

The best!

Current Employee - US Navy Sailor E6 in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - US Navy Sailor E6 in Groton, CT

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great training, advancement opportunities, job satisfaction, best teamwork in the world

Cons

long hours, separations from family.

Set 1 Admiral up as the lead of the "NAVY2" project. Exclude him from all Naval Programs and requirements. Have him recruit and train his own people with his own separate budget. Increase that budget every year by a set amount. Decrease the regular Navy's budget by the same amount each year until Navy2 is the new Navy with a completely rebuilt system. Even the best tech firms stop doing software patches and eventually start working on a ground up new version of their product. Release date 1775 is no longer a viable product, sorry. Welcome to the 3rd Millennium.

Also, thanks for the best 8 years of my life!

Chance of a Lifetime

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Groton, CT

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The US NAVY is the world's most prestigious and effective naval fighting force. The expeiences you gain are invaluable and the multitude of benefits you recieve are fantastic.

Cons

Long days, plenty of training, work takes precendence over personal life.

Job at the US Navy

Former Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer in Agat, GU
    Former Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer in Agat, GU

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job satisfaction, medical and dental benefits, pay, housing allowance.

Cons

Always gone from home, lack of leadership.

None

I had a joyful enlistment.

Former Employee - P-3 Flight Engineer in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI
    Former Employee - P-3 Flight Engineer in M C B H Kaneohe Bay, HI

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, great benefits, payed vacation, lots of travel.

Cons

Deployments into dangerous areas of the world, lack of freedom to choose where to live and travel.

It's what you make of it

I worked at US Navy

Pros

Good benefits, pay is ok. You get allowances for housing and food. You get to travel. Training is paid.

Cons

Deployments away from family can be long and grueling. Advancement is slow and pay raises are even slower.

It is what you make of it

Current Employee - Builder Second Class
    Current Employee - Builder Second Class

I have been working at US Navy part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great way to build skills that relate well into the civilian world. Leadership, Teamwork, Team building, creative thinking, negotiating, etc. You also get great opportunities to travel and experience things you may never have otherwise. Not cut out for everyone and there is a lot of complaining, but if you go in with an open mind then you will be better off than those going in thinking they know exactly what they have gotten themselves into. Knowing what I know now, I still would have enlisted right out of high school.

Cons

Demanding and the occasional poor leadership. Nothing ever seems to be clear or fully planned out so the environment means you need to stay very flexible. It really is the Navy's time and not yours

There are still some old school style leaders who believe that age equates to better knowledge, or that they are automatically correct. There are many brilliant minds and leaders who are much younger than those in charge, but rank seems to supersede this. I do not believe this is correct. If you simply test better or have been around long enough to make rank, you should not just be placed into a leadership role.

I also believe there should be more open communication between the ranks. The old way of "chain of command" is great in theory but communication is a slow task. The guy at the top might get information as soon as it was generated but it can take days before the bottom guy gets the information, and even then the information isn't always accurate as it has now been passed through multiple members. This is from a "Reservist" perspective.

The best job I ever had.

Former Employee - Chief Warrant Officer in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Chief Warrant Officer in Norfolk, VA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training, health and dental, guaranteed room and board, awesome travel and opportunities to live in other countries.

Cons

Long hours, long days, long weeks. Plenty of time to be the best at your job. Met great people and made best friends.

Continue to be flexible and exercise plenty of patience.