US Navy Reviews

4,449 Reviews
US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus
Ray Mabus
1,768 Ratings

Pros
  • you have a paycheck every two weeks no matter what you get full medical and dental benefits (in 170 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country (in 134 reviews)

Cons
  • You will have to be away from family at long periods of time for deployments (in 460 reviews)

• Being away from home might be a little too hard for others so be aware of that (in 297 reviews)

1. LCPO

I have been working at US Navy full-time

Pros

Great benefits great learning and education opportunities. Very nice retirement package.

Cons

Excessive travel and time away from family. Changeing location every 3 to 5 years and getting family reestablished. Excessive time with no family comunication.

Advice to Management

Quit taking away our benefits.

2. Miss the people not the job

Former Employee - Nuclear Electricians Mate Navy in Kings Bay, GA
    Former Employee - Nuclear Electricians Mate Navy in Kings Bay, GA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great reason to work for the military. Serving your country, steady pay check, depending on what you're doing the work is interesting, possibly develop some trade skills, and free college!

Cons

The hours are awful. Which really is to be expected I mean it is the military. However, going in you should know that you will be expected at some point to stay up for multiple days straight. At least I was.

Advice to Management

Try to operate as if the people who were working for you had the option to quit. Happy crew means everything is easier for you. An explanation of why something has to be the way it is can go a long way.

3. Submarine Officer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging environment working along some of the best and brightest people you will find. Great experience for those looking for greater responsibility early in their career.

Cons

Often a high stress environment with long hours and a large amount of time away from home and family as well.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to high performers such that they do not get burned out early in their careers. Be careful that bureaucratic requirements outpace actual capacity to comply.

5. HM2

I have been working at US Navy (more than 10 years)

Pros

Travel, pay, training, camaraderie, and doing meaningful work

Cons

Long work days if on sea duty. Leave family, and personal life for days-months at a time. Different rates promote faster in shorter amount of time based off of manning alone. Politics is rampant. Possible life log physical or mental disability in result to job exposure. Becoming more and more lax as the new waves of sailors enter in

Advice to Management

Don't falter for society, keep the navy mentally and physically strong. Keep old traditions.

6. AET2 Aviation Electronics Technician

Current Employee - Second Class Electronics Petty Officer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Second Class Electronics Petty Officer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Serve your country, acquire a useful field of work from which no build upon!

Cons

Unknown job status at this time!

Advice to Management

Review the talent and accomplishments of the job seeker and contact them prior to their discharge!

7. Electronics Technician Second Class Petty Officer

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training to set you up for a job in the civilian sector for a long time job.

Cons

Terrible working hours people treat you with no respect and you are pulled away from family constantly.

Advice to Management

Start to listen to the people that work for you and actually do things that you say your willing to do for your employees

8. Retired MCPO

Former Employee - MCPO
    Former Employee - MCPO

I worked at US Navy

Pros

Opportunity to serve your country, good medical, dental and education benefits, 30 days annual leave. Travel to many countries; some very nice, others not so much.

Cons

Today, the government is sieriously considering changes to retirement and medical benefits. They are selling it as beneficial to the service member, but trust me everything they are considering is a significant erosion on "hard earned" and promised benefits. Recent Attempts to compare military service to civilian employment are not realistic in any respect: pay, work environment and benefits. None of us made the military a career for the pay and benefits, but they were promises made for significant personal and family sacrifices. Until the current review of benefits plays out, I don't recommend joining.

9. Clinic Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to shape and mold junior Sailors and provide an impact on their lives on a daily basis.

Cons

Must be available 24/7. Standing 24 hour duty two to three times a month.

10. Master Chief

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An amazing 24 year experience.

Cons

I spent a lot of time away from home over the years, but a Pro is I got to see the world.

11. Viking Ship Mentality

I have been working at US Navy full-time

Pros

Team effort, many lessons learned templates for job tasks, best effort mentality.

Cons

Do more with less, extended work hours beyond range of salary and job description, deployments and exercises equal little time for family.