US Navy

3,978 Reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus
Ray Mabus
1,591 Ratings

Pros
  • you have a paycheck every two weeks no matter what you get full medical and dental benefits (in 170 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country (in 134 reviews)

Cons
  • You will have to be away from family at long periods of time for deployments (in 460 reviews)

• Being away from home might be a little too hard for others so be aware of that (in 297 reviews)

More Highlights

Is an eye opening experience

Former Employee - Petty Officer Third Class in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Petty Officer Third Class in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

To be able to go to many different countries and meet people from many different cultures.
    On this job, i was able to find out my strengths and my weaknesses, and it helped me grow and gave me a better understanding about life

Cons

On this job, you have to forget about personal life, your life is your job, so is very difficult to have and maintain a family.
    Also, since this job is very demanding, everyone is on the edge and that bring a lot of disagreements between people there, and lastly many people can't handle the pressure and the fast pace environment, which can cause a lot of problems for the person later on.

there is no advice here, life is so fast paced that anyone have to do their best and most of the time we make decisions on the go, which makes it difficult to always be a good one.

CRNA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Independent
    move every two years
    Learning facility

Cons

Deployment
    Move every two years
    Collateral duties

Difficult Work environment

Current Employee - Naval Officer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Naval Officer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

More autonomy and varied work environment

Cons

Away from home. Forced to work in clinical environment that you don't want to work in. Once you work in an area you are stuck in that area without opportunity to move.

You lose your best and brightest nurses by forcing them to workin Labor and Delivery the hours are long and the work unrewarding and then they are stuck in this clinical pathway. You should allow progression and change

Great place to start out

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Fore the Navy haas even a great place to start as a civilian. The entry level opportunities in DC are pretty good, and you get good exposure and travel opportunities.

Cons

You learn the Navy is small and can be somewhat limited in upward mobility and career progression.

Senior Officers are the Problem

Current Employee - Special Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Special Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When the Navy says that they will accelerate your life, they really aren't lying about that. The things that I did in the Navy, from the training to actually going into combat, are memories that I will remember for the rest of my life.

There will be a sense of camaraderie that you will gain with your coworkers that will be unrivaled in the private sector. You will gain leadership at every level, and you will be challenged along the way.

I feel every American should experience what the US military has to offer, just don't look at it as a career for the rest of your life, and you will make the most of what the military can do for you.

Cons

Being a junior Officer, you watch the steady slide into complete paranoia of senior officers as they move up the food chain. They become hyper defensive of their career, their fit reps, and their reputation. The average sailor is of little importance to them because of the structural requirements of the Navy. Once you hit O-4, its taken 12 years roughly, and you either make those last 8 years to 20, or you lose it all, no retirement, no pension, nothing.

This up or out (with nothing) mentality has really destroyed the concept of "top cover", where a command's CO/XO's top priority is to protect their people. With so many "scandals" rocking the navy, the default is when in doubt, prosecute. I hardly know any sailors who have not been investigated at least once, some resulting in Court Martial.

Most officers that are well respected by the sailors of the command, are generally out before hitting O-4, the ones that don't have options on the outside, or are too afraid to make the jump, stay in.

Please, for the sake of our Military, fix the promotion process of Officers in the Navy. The senior Officer corp is the weakest link of the US Navy, wit the Chiefs mess picking up the slack. Sailors don't trust their CO's, and JO's don't see the point in staying in. When I look at my boss, I honestly don't want his job.

Best experience, signed up for 4, retired after 22 years!

Current Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

If you are motivated, promotion is good. It's really all about the effort you put into your own career. People are very helpful and want you to be successful.

Cons

Biggest would be moving away from family, but you inherit.a new family of Sailors, so it works out. Can be an adjustment if you're not a team player.

Keep advancing our Sailors and improving their quality of life.

review

Former Employee - Naval Officer
    Former Employee - Naval Officer

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good all around benefits and salary as an officer. Tax free housing allowance

Cons

The senior officers don't care about their people and there is a general climate of apathy and the promotion of mediocrity.

Lifestyle is not for everyone but certainly experience a lot!

Current Employee - BM2 (SW/AW) in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - BM2 (SW/AW) in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Travel, Meeting people of various backgrounds, overall commadere and mission accomplishment, advancement is combined with merit and multiple choice testing for enlisted, career progression and change, pride in serving country, military discounts, free training, money to live, financial security

Cons

Time away from family (if you have one) work/life balance is below par in most cases, no overtime pay, Can be very political, Ever changing day to day schedule, not for people who get sea sick,

Help your junior people, don't hinder them. People mess up. They are still human underneath the uniform. Practice what you enforce.

Great best time in my life

Former Employee - Route Delivery Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Route Delivery Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at US Navy

Pros

Dicipline friendship and the travel

Cons

Long long hours and being away from you famaily

Hard worker deciplined respectfull take pride in my work im a peaple person problem solver and multi tasker im dedicated and loyal

Systems engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, great benefits, opportunity to serve the country within an office environment.

Cons

Slow workflow/process, minimal opportunities to move up within the workforce.

Provide acknowledgment for extra efforts