US Navy

4,141 Reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus
Ray Mabus
1,647 Ratings

Pros
  • you have a paycheck every two weeks no matter what you get full medical and dental benefits (in 170 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country (in 134 reviews)

Cons
  • You will have to be away from family at long periods of time for deployments (in 460 reviews)

• Being away from home might be a little too hard for others so be aware of that (in 297 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent careers

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Travel money and education, lots of opportunities for people who want to work

Cons

Nuckleheads, deployments long , don't get rid of lazy idiots

I get all the support I need to perform my job very well

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I can go to other bases and get to visit different places of the US and the world

Cons

I'm away from my family for a year at a time

None.

Great people to work with.

Current Employee - Officer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Officer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Unlimited advancement, that is totally up to you. Travel around the world and working with outstanding young American's who are committed to Core values.

Cons

Long deployments, with very little down time between cycles. And the future is not going to get any better with the down sizing to come.

none

An organization that is going to open you up to opportunities

Current Employee - US Navy Sailor E4 in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - US Navy Sailor E4 in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Hands on experience that you would not receive in the a private sector

Cons

lack of compensation, high use of chain of command

do not change the process for the sake of changing it because you are a higher ranking

Very good Industrial Hygiene program.

Former Employee - Industrial Hygienist
    Former Employee - Industrial Hygienist

I worked at US Navy

Pros

Clear guidance on how to perform your job according to Navy standards.

Cons

Industrial Hygiene Officers who are in charge because they are military, not because they are the best suited or qualified for leadership of the program.

Consider choosing the best department heads, regardless of whether they are military or civilian.

Establishing lifelong relationships.

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your co-workers are more like a close family. You always remember them.

Cons

Turning into a business with less common sense being used in major decisions.

Every citizen should spend some time serving in the military.

I worked at US Navy

Pros

Training; leadership and management experience; paid education; quality people; international travel; a job you can feel good about doing and have fun in the process.

Cons

time away from home and frequent moves.

Great for those who would like to work with exciting equipment without years of experience.

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Groton, CT
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Groton, CT

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work with advanced equipment without years of experience.
    Get to meet people from all types of backgrounds.
    Get to travel the world and experience different cultures.

Cons

Not for those who like to spend a lot of time at home.
    Can sometimes be required to go to sea at the drop of a hat.
    Days can be long.
    Some people can be lazy or just not that bright (but the ranking system usually takes care of that).

Great experience learning Air Traffic Control, leadership, and teamwork.

Former Employee - Air Traffic Control Specialist in Lemoore Naval Air Station, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provided scheduled workshops teaching leadership, hazardous situations, emergencies, and naval ship related knowledge for advancement testing. I was stationed at Naval Air Station Lemoore where I was given the opportunity to go to online school and eventually earn an Associate's degree in Psychology. In addition, I learned the rules and regulations of Air Traffic Control and obtained my Certified Tower Operator's license.

Cons

Sometimes the command had unexpected meetings where work shifts became two to three hours longer than normal. During the summer time, some of the squadrons would unexpectedly schedule late night operations that would affect the night crew and sometimes that night crew would have to come to work the next morning; therefore, turnover was difficult. However, these cons a very minuscule and are a part of the job description.

Civilian controllers need to participate more in the tower cab than simply once a month. In addition, there should be meetings between tower supervisors and Flight Watch Supervisors when it comes to any discrepancies between operations in the tower and in the radar room. Military Division Officers, Chiefs, and leading Petty Officers should observe the interactions and communications between the tower and the radar room.

Great place for novice Air Traffic Controllers to train in both the tower and radar environment.

I worked at US Navy

Pros

Naval Air Station Lemoore has a very basic field that makes it easy to understand and a great training tool for novice controllers. Fortunately during my time at NAS Lemoore, I was able to receive my Certified Tower Operator (CTO) license. In addition, the command gave me the opportunities to go to school and I earned my Associate's degree in Psychology online.

Cons

There were come unexpected shift changes where the evening crew is usually affected. For instance, there are times when air operations are extended (during the evening crew's shift) beyond the hours of operation where it makes turnover difficult for the evening shifts. However, these issues are very minuscule and do not happen very often.

Civilian controllers should participate more often in the tower can than simply once a month. There should be meetings between tower supervisors and Flight Watch Supervisors when there are discrepancies between the tower and the radar room. Military higher leaders, Chiefs, and leading Petty Officers should observe the interactions between the tower and the radar room.