www.navy.mil

3,978 Reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus
Ray Mabus
1,591 Ratings

Pros
  • you have a paycheck every two weeks no matter what you get full medical and dental benefits (in 170 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country (in 134 reviews)

Cons
  • You will have to be away from family at long periods of time for deployments (in 460 reviews)

• Being away from home might be a little too hard for others so be aware of that (in 297 reviews)

More Highlights

Fleet Synthetic Training Military Director

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Flexible hours, cutting edge technology

Cons

Never know when you will deploy

Great opportunity

Current Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, Schooling offered, Tuition Assistance, GI Bill, & Opportunity not offered to many straight out of college.

Cons

Not a career for someone who values the importance of being home at night or seeing their friends and family. Mission is 1st.

None

Retired Naval Officer

Former Employee - Naval Officer in Fort Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Naval Officer in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to pay for education. Selection choice of many exciting career fields. Great leadership and technical training that are useful in all industries. Top-notch people to work with; made many friends throughout my career. Chance to travel the world.

Cons

Work/travel and family life balance can be difficult. Plan to move every two or three years. Promotions get very political as you advance up the chain. Assignments and career fields are determined primarily by the "needs of the Navy," followed by the desires of the service member. Many of the places that you travel are not places that you would choose to travel.

Current Employee - Navy Supply Officer 0-3 Lieutenant in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Navy Supply Officer 0-3 Lieutenant in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Great Training. Top Notch Leadership Experience. Working with sailors is about the most rewarding thing you can do.

Cons

Lots of time away from family. That gets old.

Change the PRT Standards

Good overall experience.

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Steady pay and feeling of accomplishment.

Cons

Leadership lacking with too much politics.

My experience with the US Navy was a maturing one.

Current Employee - Ships Servicemen in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Ships Servicemen in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reasons to serve in the navy is the benefits. Medical and dental insurance are the best with the navy.

Cons

Look forward to long working hours. Different personalities in the navy are challenging to work with at times.

Listen to your peers and people under you.

Good for some but not for all.

Former Employee - Aviation Machinist Mate
    Former Employee - Aviation Machinist Mate

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being able to travel all over the world was great. Being able to go to top notch schools to learn great trades is a plus

Cons

Not able to express ideas on how to fix things or peoples management style. Must do what boss says "or else" atmosphere. Cant call in sick like the civilian sector

loosen up some

Nuclear Operator salary

Current Employee - Nuclear Mechanical Operator
    Current Employee - Nuclear Mechanical Operator

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great job opportunity. training is second to none. opens up a lot of job opportunity in the civilian power sector.

Cons

move frequently. away from family for holidays.

Served as an Aircraft Structural Mechanic on H60 Aircraft

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about serving in the Navy is all the benefits you receive. Job security, and knowing you always have a paycheck coming every 2 weeks is a plus.

Cons

Working hours can get a bit ridiculous. Having a culture of "this is the way its always been done" can be frustrating at times.

Senior Officers are the Problem

Current Employee - Special Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Special Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When the Navy says that they will accelerate your life, they really aren't lying about that. The things that I did in the Navy, from the training to actually going into combat, are memories that I will remember for the rest of my life.

There will be a sense of camaraderie that you will gain with your coworkers that will be unrivaled in the private sector. You will gain leadership at every level, and you will be challenged along the way.

I feel every American should experience what the US military has to offer, just don't look at it as a career for the rest of your life, and you will make the most of what the military can do for you.

Cons

Being a junior Officer, you watch the steady slide into complete paranoia of senior officers as they move up the food chain. They become hyper defensive of their career, their fit reps, and their reputation. The average sailor is of little importance to them because of the structural requirements of the Navy. Once you hit O-4, its taken 12 years roughly, and you either make those last 8 years to 20, or you lose it all, no retirement, no pension, nothing.

This up or out (with nothing) mentality has really destroyed the concept of "top cover", where a command's CO/XO's top priority is to protect their people. With so many "scandals" rocking the navy, the default is when in doubt, prosecute. I hardly know any sailors who have not been investigated at least once, some resulting in Court Martial.

Most officers that are well respected by the sailors of the command, are generally out before hitting O-4, the ones that don't have options on the outside, or are too afraid to make the jump, stay in.

Please, for the sake of our Military, fix the promotion process of Officers in the Navy. The senior Officer corp is the weakest link of the US Navy, wit the Chiefs mess picking up the slack. Sailors don't trust their CO's, and JO's don't see the point in staying in. When I look at my boss, I honestly don't want his job.