US Navy

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

380 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing!!

Aviation Electronics Technician (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsAmazing opportunities to learn critical skills for the military, but also applicable back in the civilian sector

ConsLeadership is always at a need for improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the best qualified.

A great way to transition elsewhere

Electronics Technician (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat benefits, they'll train you for a job, and after 5 years you are making decent money for someone with no secondary education

ConsConstant moving, bad culture, upward mobility limited by time and not skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuicker promotions for skilled employees.

Good step in my career

E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsFitness, constant push to improve your performance and skill-set.

ConsVery limiting to certain personality types, politics are everywhere, individual ships and shop environments differ drastically.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

20 Year retirement as E6 22K in 2014

E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, First Class (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsDo different jobs all the time that require critical thinking and keeps you on your toes. Lots of schooling and the opportunity to change jobs every three years (after the first 5 years)

ConsAway from home a lot. Hostile work environment (when deployed). Live out of a suitcase. Very structured and intrusive leadership. Very little privacy. You don't get treated like an adult when visiting different ports, you have a curfew and/or are required to have a "buddy" when away from the ship away from home port.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance is far tipped in the favor of work due to duty days (stay at work for 24 hours period every 6 days when in home port) consider hiring private security when ship is in home port.

Nuclear Field EM (Submarine Qualified) Gained experience and training, and had a little fun along the way.

Nuclear Electricians Mate Navy (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe greatest pro is the training I received. Not so much that I will use my military knowledge on the outside, but the fact that I trained on, operated, and eventually supervised the operation of the nuclear propulsion plants of two different classes of submarines in the space of a few years demonstrates to any employer that no matter what I'm thrown into, I will not only succeed, but I will excel.

I never got my degree, but when it came time to transition, I had several offers before I even had my terminal leave chit written up. I got a great job, and have since been promoted ahead of others with more time in the company and with BSEE degrees.

As for the whole "Join the Navy, See the World" thing: I spent 11 years in the Navy before I saw my first foreign port. That's just a part of being on a submarine, and a Nuke. I did get to see a few places in that last year, and I'm grateful for that.

The medical benefits were free, and as such lacked some of the higher end perks, but I had four kids delivered for free, I received PRK eye surgery for free, saw the chiropractor for free, among other things. So that is not to be overlooked when weighing in pros.

ConsWithout a doubt, the worst part about the Navy, and the submarine nuclear power field in particular is all the time you will spend away from your family. Even in a senior role (12 year E-6), I was gone to sea for 50% of the year, and the rest of the time I was required to sleep on the sub every 3-4 days for duty, where I was standing port-and-starboard (6h on - 6h off) watches. That makes for some miserable 100+hour work weeks.

A CLOSE second is the lack of professionalism. I found the culture to be much like in Junior High school.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually uphold the standards that you set out for others.
    Give your guys responsibility, but also give them the training they need to succeed, and when they make mistakes, back them up.

If you want to make the Navy your life then this is the best job for you. There are good opportunities for leadership.

EN2 Work Center Supervisor (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe people you work with are diverse which builds working skills. You get more money as your rank up.

ConsLong hours, almost no freedom to do your personal affairs. when you are a parent it is hard to see your children.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare and Listen to employees

Career Navy.

U S Navy (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsPay and benefits really can't be beat. One cannot simply look at base pay. Must consider medical, room and board, health, life insurance, military educational benefits. Travel and see the world (really!).

ConsWorldwide assignable. Some would look a this as an advantage also.
    Some instances of little anonymity.

Avionics Technician

E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsAwesome place to work. Had an awesome adventure the whole time i worked for them. It is definitely for those who seeks adventure. travel, leisure, and for those who are over achiever.

ConsHave nothing bad to say because I enjoyed my time in the U.S. Navy the entire time I served. Only regret I have was that I could no longer serve due to overmanned and not having enough time left to go back.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage people to join even for just four years. The time will go by fast. At the least you will get the GI bill benefits at the end of your four years with an honorable discharge if you decide not to make it a career.

Review

EOD (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsExciting career, good pay, see the world

ConsDemanding on family, lacking good leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild leaders from the bottom up

Super Place to Work

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsTeam organization supporting our ships at sea. Leaders here are hand picked to serve on this critical staff. Your efforts directly contribute to Fleet readiness.

ConsFunding is always a challenge however in a constrained fiscal environment, where isn't it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the pressure on to return readiness funding levels.

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!

US Navy Videos

US Navy – Why Work for Us?

A Life-Changing Opportunity Waiting It’s not just the world-class training, competitive salary, generous benefits and opportunities to earn an advanced education. It’s more than the immense responsibilities Navy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Navy reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Navy CEO Ray Mabus. All 380 reviews posted anonymously by US Navy employees.