US Navy

3,977 Reviews

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus
Ray Mabus
1,591 Ratings

Pros
  • you have a paycheck every two weeks no matter what you get full medical and dental benefits (in 170 reviews)

• I had the opportunity to travel and to meet people from all over the country (in 134 reviews)

Cons
  • You will have to be away from family at long periods of time for deployments (in 460 reviews)

• Being away from home might be a little too hard for others so be aware of that (in 297 reviews)

More Highlights

478 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You get what you put

Current Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - E7 - Navy - Chief Petty Officer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

stable pay, making friends/ brothers and sisters for life, you WILL see the world but normally on the navy's terms, it will make you grow.

Cons

lines for everything, missing your family.

none

Is an eye opening experience

Former Employee - Petty Officer Third Class in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Petty Officer Third Class in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

To be able to go to many different countries and meet people from many different cultures.
    On this job, i was able to find out my strengths and my weaknesses, and it helped me grow and gave me a better understanding about life

Cons

On this job, you have to forget about personal life, your life is your job, so is very difficult to have and maintain a family.
    Also, since this job is very demanding, everyone is on the edge and that bring a lot of disagreements between people there, and lastly many people can't handle the pressure and the fast pace environment, which can cause a lot of problems for the person later on.

there is no advice here, life is so fast paced that anyone have to do their best and most of the time we make decisions on the go, which makes it difficult to always be a good one.

Very memorable and valuable experience will always remember and use the things I've learned in this line of work.

Current Employee - Hospital for Me in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Employee - Hospital for Me in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Compensation benefits housing insurance life and medical food pay college in many other thingsare all available to you as long as you work for it.

Cons

Deployments long periods away from family friends and loved ones. 3 to 9 month deployments very physically demanding and mentally tiring possibly hazardous to your health and well-being.

Take care of your people and they will take care of you. Liberty is a great incentive.

Time of my life

Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

You want a job that allows you to see the world, allows you to grow, time off, and 30 days' paid vacation? Yup, that's what you'll get in the Navy. After doing 20 years, I wish I could do another 20.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Great chance to gain new skills, travel, support the nation's security, and get paid for it.

Former Employee - Electrician's Mate Second Class Petty Officer in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and bonus pay, very safe work relative to the other services, good promotion opportunities depending on rate, good sense of community, regular paid vacation, job security.

Cons

Intracultural differences may be difficult, many people in a leadership position are poor leaders.

Communication and safety are most important. As an Electrician's Mate, safety was my main concern, and as a sailor, teamwork and communication throughout the team were vital. It's not just individuals working on a job, it's the entire team, and that means everyone must know what is going on.

Great growth potential!

Current Employee - Combat Systems Maintenance Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Combat Systems Maintenance Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you're a "go getter", this is the place for you! Plan on working your way up -- it won't be easy. The experience you'll gain is irreplaceable...you'll be a valuable commodity whether you put in 6 years of 20+.

Cons

Planning a family? Have a hobby? Say goodbye to them -- to be successful, you MUST sell your soul. That's not to say you can't be successful with a family or other interests...just know that the Navy is your FIRST priority if you want to go all the way. Of course, this applies anywhere...

Need to break up the traditions of old and start SERIOUS moves into the new -- I'm not talking about uniforms, I'm talking about the way we do business. "More with less" is no longer feasible...we need a tailored and trimmed fleet. Also need to improve the REAL status of the fleet to Congress -- too many politics get in the way of the message from waterfronts to Washington.

Served as an Aircraft Structural Mechanic on H60 Aircraft

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about serving in the Navy is all the benefits you receive. Job security, and knowing you always have a paycheck coming every 2 weeks is a plus.

Cons

Working hours can get a bit ridiculous. Having a culture of "this is the way its always been done" can be frustrating at times.

Senior Officers are the Problem

Current Employee - Special Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Special Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When the Navy says that they will accelerate your life, they really aren't lying about that. The things that I did in the Navy, from the training to actually going into combat, are memories that I will remember for the rest of my life.

There will be a sense of camaraderie that you will gain with your coworkers that will be unrivaled in the private sector. You will gain leadership at every level, and you will be challenged along the way.

I feel every American should experience what the US military has to offer, just don't look at it as a career for the rest of your life, and you will make the most of what the military can do for you.

Cons

Being a junior Officer, you watch the steady slide into complete paranoia of senior officers as they move up the food chain. They become hyper defensive of their career, their fit reps, and their reputation. The average sailor is of little importance to them because of the structural requirements of the Navy. Once you hit O-4, its taken 12 years roughly, and you either make those last 8 years to 20, or you lose it all, no retirement, no pension, nothing.

This up or out (with nothing) mentality has really destroyed the concept of "top cover", where a command's CO/XO's top priority is to protect their people. With so many "scandals" rocking the navy, the default is when in doubt, prosecute. I hardly know any sailors who have not been investigated at least once, some resulting in Court Martial.

Most officers that are well respected by the sailors of the command, are generally out before hitting O-4, the ones that don't have options on the outside, or are too afraid to make the jump, stay in.

Please, for the sake of our Military, fix the promotion process of Officers in the Navy. The senior Officer corp is the weakest link of the US Navy, wit the Chiefs mess picking up the slack. Sailors don't trust their CO's, and JO's don't see the point in staying in. When I look at my boss, I honestly don't want his job.

Difficult Work environment

Current Employee - Naval Officer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Naval Officer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

More autonomy and varied work environment

Cons

Away from home. Forced to work in clinical environment that you don't want to work in. Once you work in an area you are stuck in that area without opportunity to move.

You lose your best and brightest nurses by forcing them to workin Labor and Delivery the hours are long and the work unrewarding and then they are stuck in this clinical pathway. You should allow progression and change

Long hours

Current Employee - Suface Warfare Officer in Coronado, CA
    Current Employee - Suface Warfare Officer in Coronado, CA

I have been working at US Navy

Pros

Education benefits are great. Pride and dedication

Cons

Long hours with out time off always away from family

Shorten deployments