US Navy

Updated Jul 8, 2014

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

220 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It has been a blessing and challenge and has stretched and expanded my desire to excel at my job accomplishment/leading.

Senior Enlisted Leader (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsConstant Push to excel and develop leadership

Consto much variance in leadership and requirements between communities

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline and organize but also remember history.

A Great Place

Flight Test Engineer (Current Employee)
    Patuxent River, MD

ProsThe government does care about it's employees and provides as much room for training and personal advancement as you desire.

ConsLimited in where you can live.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrong management structure.

Great organization!

Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Andrews AFB, MD

ProsUS Navy promotes Employment Equal Opportunity

ConsRate crossing may come and stock member in same pay grade for long

Advice to Senior ManagementBe on time, work hard and make safety your first priority

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience has been very good. Your mileage may vary....

Deputy Director (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsDecent pay, good medical (for now), excellent retirement benefits (for now), reasonable hours (ashore), international travel, unbelievable experiences at sea, diverse workforce, and you get to work with some of the greatest people you'll ever meet. You can (and will) do great things in the Navy you will never, ever get to do anywhere else. Potential for free education. Some training is outstanding.

ConsPay envy (I had to manage a civilian who brought home much more than I did), seniority-based pay structure, long hours at sea (but what else are you going to do at sea?), obsolete and unevenly enforced physical fitness standards, crowded bases with rapidly closing amenities. Uneven training.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let Congress use our benefits as a "bill payer". The benefits are what keeps some of your best and brightest in until 20, especially after more than a decade at war.

An incredible experience!

Naval Officer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsHuge responsibilities with great job satisfaction

ConsSeparation from family due to deployments.

Interesting work but lots of bureaucratic nonsense to put up with

Level I Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Patuxent River, MD

ProsThe Navy is involved in building incredible systems using cutting edge technology. I worked with unmanned systems, which I just loved. It feels good to support National Defense. Over the course of nearly 30 years, I have had major ups and downs. Your job satisfaction/work life is highly dependent on your 1st & 2nd level management, same as any job I guess. Good thing about being a federal employee, you have alot of protection from losing your job over a bad fit with a boss. Over all, it's been a good experience.

ConsThe flip side to having alot of job protection, the federal government doesn't have alot of flexibility to reward high achievers. Best they can do is promote you into another position until you reach one that is above your ability (the Peter Principle). Then you hate your work life. Hard chargers should probably stay in the private sector.
    The bureaucracy can be maddening. Lots of distractions to accomplishing your actual job. Working for the federal government can be very intrusive into your life, i.e., financial reporting, background investigations, travel limitations.

Tedious and boring. The only saving grace was the subject matter.

Museum Specialist (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe command has a wonderful and varied historical collection and some very knowledgable people.

ConsThe morale is terrible as they have no people who know how to be managers and support the growth of their people. The physical environment is terrible and management does not understand the value of ensuring their employees feel included as part of the whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to know your people and provide staff the ability to contribute beyond the basics of their job.

Exceeded my expectations!

Photojournalist/Broadcast Journalist (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe training and opportunities are boundless in today's Navy. You also have the opportunity to see the world. I've been to 58 different countries and all seven continents in just 10 years! Highly recommend.

ConsRank structure can get tiresome, and your senior officers/senior enlisted can and will abuse their authority - especially in your first few years of service. You are also on call 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to expand educational opportunities.

Navy Supply Corps

Supply Officer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsA fantastic career. Educational, international, opportunities abound to challenge my leadership ability and shape my leadership style. Best 26 year career I could ever imagine.

ConsTime away from family is the only drawback ... pay could be better for the junior enlisted personnel. Promotion is time based vice performance based.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the promotion process.

Life changing Navy experience

Captain (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsLeadership, a career that mattered, travel, amazing coworkers, service to our country, fun!

ConsLots of moves, dealing with Congressional ineptitude

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more entreprenurial

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!

US Navy Videos

US Navy – Why Work for Us?

A Life-Changing Opportunity Waiting It’s not just the world-class training, competitive salary, generous benefits and opportunities to earn an advanced education. It’s more than the immense responsibilities Navy… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Navy reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Navy CEO Ray Mabus. All 220 reviews posted anonymously by US Navy employees.