US Navy

US Navy Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 23, 2014

US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus

Ray Mabus

Pros
  • Free medical and dental while you are in the service(in 147 reviews)

• The opportunity to travel to a country you may never have seen or thought about(in 118 reviews)

Cons
  • Time away from family is the only issue, but we manage the time we have very well(in 398 reviews)

• The time away from home is not ideal, but the shore duty makes up for it(in 260 reviews)

225 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It has been a great ride.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsOpportunities abound with early responsibility

ConsStructured lifestyle in a controlled environment.

Supervisor

Service Member (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsOrganizated, skilled, professional, international, Defense

ConsBilateral exchanges of information within the service

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport, Defend, & Obey

Go Navy!

Chief of Staff (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou have the opportunity to work with some of the greatest people in the world, executing a mission, in countries and at sea, that few will ever have the opportunity to experience. If you were in the Navy and didn't have this experience, then you weren't leaning forward.

ConsTough duty requiring discipline, hard work, focus and long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good job!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great way of life

Sailor (Current Employee) Patuxent River, MD

ProsGreat job to have if you love to travel

ConsLong hours and takes to long to get to places

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't screw over your people

Do I regret joining? No. Would I do it all over again? No.

Enlisted (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGI Bill is the number one reason to join for most, along with tuition assistance. Benefits really can't be beat.

ConsPoor leadership. Medical care, while free, is not very good. Dental is decent. Remember: you get what you par for! Hard work life balance (obvious).

Advice to Senior ManagementBuck the trend of poor enlisted leadership. Each newly minted chief mess says they are going to be different, but they never are. They immediately drink the CPO kool-aid.

Lots of opportunity and lots of gore

Hospital Corpsman (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

Prosgreat teamwork and training, top notch benefits, housing, food, etc

Consgory and bloody, never kid yourself about the reality of combat. It is quite messy.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Senior negotiator for Dept. of Navy in an anticipated move from Okinawa to Guam and negotiating with all parties.

Executive Project Director (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsDept. of Navy has many outstanding managers with significant Masters and PHD's and a general concern for their employees both military and civilian.

ConsFar to political, blotted work force and a general lack of concern for completing important assignments primarily by the civilian work force.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrill down on feedback and presentations by the SES group as they are not fully honest in what they tell you. Additionally, reduce the civilian work force as far to many are simply "office roamers" all day long. Require more major assignments to be handled by in house people until they reach the point of diminishing returns. Get senior private sector people full time and get rid of the hiring process and the gov't pay scale to get very good private sector people.

Good company to work for

Aerospace Engineer (Current Employee) Patuxent River, MD

ProsFlexible hours
    Challenging work
    Working on the latest technology
    Lots of responsibility
    Rewarding work
    Good work life balance
    Fun place to work, I truly enjoy my job and going to work everyday.

ConsPay is slightly less than private industry.
    Too much government red tape can make it difficult to get things done.
    Work location was too rural for my liking but some people late it.
    Some people are lazy and they are not reprimanded for it. Working with these people can be frustrating, but at the same time there are also insanely smart and hard working people also.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire people that are not benefiting the company

Great experience

E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

ProsGood benefits, decent pay but for most people the experience is the biggest "pro". People often find out if they have leadership ability while in the military. Opportunity for travel, advancement and education are often cited reasons why people join. All or some may be true for individuals, just depends on the command you're at. Teamwork is also tested and honed.

ConsCan be long hours and away from family for extended periods. With as many people as their are from all over the world who join, there are bound to be people whom you bump heads with, or leadership you don't agree with (this can be a pro however, as it teaches you to work with a lot of different types of people).

Advice to Senior ManagementThere isn't anything that I could say that the people in upper management would listen to. If they did, I would say stop making / changing uniforms just for the sake of giving some contractor money. If you change a uniform, do it for performance reasons alone. It costs the service member money, which they have no choice to spend or be out of "regs".

Great leadership working toward a mission of vital importance to the security of the US.

Branch Head (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat leadership
    Washington navy yard is a great location in DC

ConsCivilian worker time schedules are too fluid

Worked for US Navy? Contribute to the Community!