US Nuclear Regulatory Commission
www.nrc.gov Rockville, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

US Nuclear Regulatory Commission Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
US Nuclear Regulatory Commission – “U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission”

US Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Allison M. Macfarlane

Allison M. Macfarlane

Resident Inspector

Resident Inspector (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay with a 40 hour work week. There's some amount of stress in my job, but that's because I'm an above average employee and volunteer as things that come up.

Most folks who work at the NRC have zero stress and enjoy a solid middle class salary with no fear of being laid off. Obviously, no one is getting rich working for the government (unless you're an independent contractor), but the pay isn't bad and at least the government isn't going to kick you to the street when the economy sours.

ConsManagement varies widely depending on which office you work in. Region II (Altanta, GA) is highly political, but other regions seem better. Management in Region II does not want to do their job and fire bad apples as this requires higher levels of approval and thus makes them look bad for hiring the person in the first place.

Being a federal agency, they are required to give veterans preference for internal job postings. This means that 90-95% of upper management is ex-navy. Basically, if you are not ex-military and want to succeed and get promoted, there is little chance of becoming a division manager or higher. There are some female division level managers without navy experience, but this is needed to offset the mostly male ex-navy managers.

It is possible to become a branch chief (in charge of 10-15 people), but it will take years longer versus being ex-navy. If you aren't ex-navy and want to move up as much as possible, it is very true what the other folks say about needing an engineering degree. I think there's a definite bias toward promoting engineers, as there should be since the work can be technical. There's no escaping the importance of being able to understand technical issues, as this is crucial in being a good regulator.

There is truly no upside in working for the government once you've been there a few years and reach full performance grade. Sometimes I wish I'd have stayed in the private sector, but I would have been laid off in the last downturn. However, there I'd have to prove myself without being a veteran, and have the full potential to move up according to my work output, people/networking skills and intelligence.

Lastly, the biggest drawback to federal employment is our dysfunctional elected government officials who are ultimately in-charge. It seems now days we are nothing but pawns to them. Value wise, it is easy to see my salary gives me less purchasing power than I had 6 years ago, but it seems our government will not give cost of living increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalking without any actions is viewed as pointless by a lot of folks. If you truly believe in your work force, why not let them do their job without push back from management.

It would be nice if there was a way to monetarily reward hard workers only, but it seems this is unlikely to happen. I know there is a huge work load difference between my job and others in the region, but year after year I see folks that work less than I do get the same performance awards I receive.

good summer intern experience with a lot of training.

Summer Student Engineer (Former Employee)
    Rockville, MD

Prosvery stable government agency.they also worked to train new employees and interns.

Consat times the day would be a little slow and not very exciting.

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure that if an intern is coming to the company, that there is a fully laid out plan and projects for the interns to accomplish

Good place to gain experience with regulatory field.

Summer Student Scientist (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsExcellent exposure to nuclear regulatory work and licensing enforcement.

ConsHaving to ride the shuttle to different buildings may consume time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission is a very good place to work.

Program Analyst (Former Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsThe work life is great because you can use telecommuting or a number of other work schedules that fit into the employees specific needs. The pay is really really good.

ConsIt is a unique challenge working as a regulator. Most of what is done requires specific rules and regulations. Also, it is a very regimented environment because many of the managers are from the military.

Great place to work!

Middle Management (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsCollaborative work environment. Very committed workforce. Important mission. Positive culture. Training and development is encouraged and supported. Highly ethical leadership.

ConsThe NRC, like most of federal government, is experiencing flat or declining budgets year to year. The volume of work on the other hand is increasing. This combination of doing more with less is currently manageable, but is not sustainable in the long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a highly technical organization, a high value is placed on technical skills and experience, and much of management was promoted due to their technical skills. Because managers are expert on what they manage, some tend to micromanage and keep their focus on the technical work, and not where they should: on the work of management and leadership.

Long career (>20years), staff through senior management

SES (Current Employee)
    Rockville, MD

ProsGreat work environment and work-life balance. Many talented staff. People generally work well together, mission well-defined and important. Senior management genuinely cares about employees. Despite external criticism, really do focus on safety.

Work is challenging and there is a lot of opportunity if you are willing to move around the organization (even more if you're geographically mobile). If you want to remain in a narrow discipline and become an expert, that is also supported.

Compensation excellent for staff; administrative and technical. Except for some highly sought areas (PRA, digital I&C, seismic) only the very top performers could find better compensation outside, and likely with not as good a work-life balance. First line supervisors have it the worst. Executive pay is competitive, but can get higher pay outside if willing to sacrifice work-life balance benefits of agency.

ConsIt is Federal agency, so a bit of a punching bag for politicians the past few years. Nuclear industry is struggling with low natural gas prices. Opportunities for advancement (vertical promotions) within the NRC are limited compared to when nuclear renaissance was booming, which affects morale of talented junior staff who can't move up. Low performers not pushed out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on eliminating weaker performers, in management and in staff.

Great agency to learn about licensing of nuclear reactors and nuclear material

Pros-Great pay
    -No stress
    -Great work life balance
    -Are very considerate of your family

Cons-Very slowed paced
    -Management seems to base their decisions on whats in it for thmeselves instead of what is best for the agency
    -Management seems to have favoritism

Advice to Senior Management-Don't have favoritism
    -Do what is best for the agency

Intense 24/7 365 support position.

NOC Technician (Former Employee)

ProsMeeting and sharing experiences with co-workers.

ConsA lot of red-tape and security preventing some jobs to be done in a timely manner

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow everyone to learn from each and allow involvement in the whole aspect of the NOC operation.

Great Agency!

Senior Executive (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsOutstanding agency with an important mission.

ConsOverly focus on FEVS results.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on your employees that help make the agency one of the best places to work.

A pretty good experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExtremely family friendly
    Excellent work life balance
    Training & Continuing education opportunities

ConsLeadership can be a dysfunctional at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining & team building is a must
    communication between management needs to improve remove the ego element

Worked for US Nuclear Regulatory Commission? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Nuclear Regulatory Commission reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Nuclear Regulatory Commission CEO Allison M. Macfarlane. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by US Nuclear Regulatory Commission employees.