US Patent and Trademark Office

Updated November 17, 2014
Updated November 17, 2014
3.6

Teresa Stanek Rea

Pros
  • it's good, great flexibility, work from home, freedom to sign own work (in 26 reviews)

• flexible work schedule allows for family friendly atmosphere, working from home is great (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Has to meet production requirement (in 8 reviews)

• Challenging production requirements (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Veteran Intern Patent Examiner

Current Employee - Patent Examiner in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

USPTO is one of the few Federal agencies I have seen that runs fairly smoothly. Everyone I have encountered there is professional, helpful and personable (in the way that Engineers and Scientist can be), and very relaxed atmosphere. They have a very generous flexible schedule where you can work just about whenever you want as long as you make 80hrs every bi-wk and your numbers are good; when I say work whenever, I mean whenever (4-10hr days no problem; every other Friday off same deal..ect). The Academy they send you through is through and they definitely teach you the way to conduct Patent business. The Veterans program is very robust and right now they are in a hiring spree. Other benefits include onsite gym, a Patent social club and other various forms of perking up the work-life balance. Once you hit GS-12 (which can theoretically take about 1.5-2 yrs) you can work anywhere CONUS and never have to come into the office again.

Cons

The work itself. You need to realize that there is absolutely NO engineering work involved. The work is monotonous but it is a steady gig. I would probably not recommend USPTO for those just coming from college as the technical skills picked up in school will be lost. I can understand why those from industry would come to the PTO as it offers a major change of pace to how corporations conduct business. Another Con would be that everyone, due to the nature of the job itself, tends to stay in their offices so there is not a whole lot of social interactions. One final Con is the way the production system is setup. What the work comes down to is the numbers...and that is what you will be graded on constantly. I understand why they do production numbers, but I feel its a double edge sword. The nature of the work is tough and there is a learning curve, so the pressure is to constantly get applications reviewed and adjudicated as fast as possible.

The management, at least whom I have encountered have been nothing but supportive and helpful. Make sure applicants know that there is no engineering work involved.

Perfect job for Me

Current Employee - Primary Patent Examiner in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Primary Patent Examiner in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Telecommuting, flexible hours, independent work flow, noncompetitive promotions, paid overtime, casual dress code

Cons

Max base salary for federal employee is capped at $157000

Intern

I worked at US Patent and Trademark Office

Pros

Great working environment, good pay, and exciting work.

Cons

Many people work from home so it can get lonely.

Friendly, Helpful, Best Legal Experience So Far

Current Employee - Trademark in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Trademark in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Friendly Atmosphere, Non-competitive legal atmosphere, Mentoring, Federal Government Employee, Telecommuting

Cons

There really weren't any cons

Keep up the good work!

Excellent work/life balance

Current Employee - Patent Examiner in Alexandria, VA

Pros

telework, non-competitive promotions, quarterly and annual bonuses based on production and docket management, flexible work schedule

Cons

not a good environment if you have ambition or are curious and want to work in different subject areas, work experience can be bad if you have a bad/incompetent supervisor

Either truly open all detail and promotion opportunities up to hotelers' without bias in favor of those on campus or be honest that opportunities for variety will disappear when you become a hoteler. That's one of the main reasons people go home and stay home and never come back. I think this can easily be remedied though by explaining to HR that examiners can in fact read. Their very living depends on it. If they're applying to a detail or position where hoteling or telework is not permitted it's because they've accepted that, made the appropriate arrangements and still applied anyway.

Best Place to Work in the Government

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office as an intern

Pros

You get very flexible scheduling, and good salary for a government job with only a Bachelors.

Cons

The work is very tedious

Patent Examiner

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility on the work schedule.

Cons

Bad supervisors and selfish environment.

Some managers are not good at all in management. They need to learn how to give good constructive feedback and directions on how to be good at examining patent applications instead of bullying new examiners.

A great job if you can cut corners and not have it bother you

Former Employee - Patent Examiner in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Patent Examiner in Alexandria, VA

I worked at US Patent and Trademark Office full-time

Pros

Great money (for government). The pay is great. Gym, childcare etc. A lot of perks along with a great salary and advancement opportunities.

Cons

Quantity is the number one objective ... but they also do not want "glaring" errors ... so it is a hard balance to strike.

Reform the whole system. The patent attorneys complain all the time about the "quality" of the office actions, bu they cannot say much because they are at the mercy of the USPTO.

It's a Job

Former Employee - Primary Patent Examiner in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Primary Patent Examiner in Alexandria, VA

I worked at US Patent and Trademark Office full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you can't do anything else, this is the place for you. It's done indoors, so there is no need to worry about the weather.

Cons

If you can do anything else, this is not the place for you. You are really just reading and analyzing other peoples technical achievements and it requires almost no creativity to do the job.

The management is great- they do the best they can to make a difficult job easier.

A HORRIBLE PLACE FOR IT CONTRACTORS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office full-time

Pros

If i was a govt employee, i would be giving wonderful praises for the suppose to be number 1 place to work at in the agency. But I am IT contractor employee.

Cons

If you are thinking of working here and a IT contractor employee. Listen to my warning. I had different options of jobs to take and i decided to take this job because I saw the number 1 place to work. I was thrilled and excited to be working for this agency. Well, I was told and saw that this does not apply to IT contractors. I was absolutely amazed on how the contractors are treated. And its absolutely an accepted fact. I have been doing govt contracting for over 20 years and this is the first place, where i am shocked on how some of the contractors are yelled at, treated by emails, spoke down to like little kids, and other stuff i see on a daily basis. I do not know how long I will be here but the turnover is awful and the negativity energy is not good. I will stay here until i find something else. The grass is not greener on the other side at all. This is the worse agency for IT contractors and i thought previous agencies i worked for was worse.

Treat everyone with respect and dignity which includes contractors.

US Patent and Trademark Office Photos