US Patent and Trademark Office

www.uspto.gov

US Patent and Trademark Office Reviews in Virginia

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Teresa Stanek Rea

Pros
  • it's good, great flexibility, work from home, freedom to sign own work(in 25 reviews)

• flexible work schedule allows for family friendly atmosphere, working from home is great(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • A good supervisor makes your life easy, but a micro-managing supervisor can make it more difficult to meet production requirements on time(in 10 reviews)

• I have used the term "intellectual sweatshop" which gives a vivid idea of the production requirements they expect from you(in 5 reviews)

97 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place for self-starters to work.

Patent Examiner (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsVery well delineated promotion goals for examiners. You own your work and do not need to rely on others completing their tasks. You are also permitted to work at home full time.

ConsMinimal interactions with other people so you are very isolated. The job is extremely repetitive and you feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again. If you get a bad manager it will ruin your time there since they control your job progress when first hired. Do not offer tuition reimbursement or allow examiners to take unpaid leave to study for the bar.

Best place to work

Patent Examiner (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsFlexibility, salary, no micro-managing, trainings, growth potentials, benefits...

Consproduction can be a bit stressful

Modern Slavery

Patent Examiner (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsThe time flexibility and Salary is great...

ConsYou will grow to hate your daily life, because the pressure is just too high. People work there only for the money, however it seem 95% people who works there grow to dislike what they do..

Advice to Senior Managementits ok, as long as you have a good SP

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Patent Examiner (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

Prosflexible schedule, excellent benefits, job security

ConsThe work is very repetitive. lack of career advancement

Great Place to Work!

Primary Patent Examiner (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe hours are flexible and there are many telework options, including exclusively working from home, which gives employees the ability to work from anywhere in the country. The promotion requirements are clearly written and laid out in black and white without any office politics involved. The pay is good and there are options of earning overtime and bonuses.

ConsSome attorneys are difficult to deal with and are uncooperative.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe worst thing a manager can do to demoralize an employee is micromanage, so please avoid that to keep employees happy.

Excellent for the duration I was there.

Patent Examiner (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsFlexible hours for the duration I was there; good work environment; safe and secure.

Conscompensation as per GS scale and qualifications

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate external qualifications and experience into GS policies

Great place to work

Patent Examiner (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe work life balance here is amazing. Work from anywhere. Tons of sick and vacation leave. Flexible hours. If you do good work you will quickly gain responsibility and be managing your own docket. Great job for independent type people who are self starters.

ConsNot a lot of exit options or room for advancement. Work is repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more from within. There are great people within the examiner ranks who are capable of serving in leadership positions and have a wealth of knowledge about how the pto operates and how it can be improved.

It was great.

Examiner (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe pros are the full-time telework and the enhanced GS pay scale. You can live anywhere and not have to report to work.

ConsWhen you are junior your work is reviewed. If the person reviewing your work doesn't know what they are doing, you are in trouble. They will constantly return your work and tell you to redo it for ridiculous reasons and you won't be able to make the quota and you will either work 100 hours a week or get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective on who you hire into management.

great job!

Patent Examiner (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

Prosif you can manage your time then this job is fantstic. everything is on you though and there is a lot of accountability but that's generally a good thing. salary is great, bonuses a plenty as well as OT

Constoo many new initiatives at the same time, COPA, CPC, AIA too many acronyms! higher ups are not really sure what they want

Advice to Senior Managementless concurrent initiatives

I tremendously regret ever leaving this place.

Accountant (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsGreat coworkers. Down-to-earth management. We all got along great. Not overly worked or stressed out.

No problems whatsoever. It was literally the perfect job.

Also, next to Metro station and lots of places to eat and shop within walking distance.

ConsThere aren't any I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing and start hiring again so I can come back.

Worked for US Patent and Trademark Office? Contribute to the Community!