US Postal Service Reviews

2.9
1,295 Reviews

US Postal Service Postmaster General & CEO Patrick R. Donahoe
Patrick R. Donahoe

Pros
  • The people are great, the pay and benefits are good too with semi- flexible hours (in 73 reviews)

• Good pay with excellent medical benefits plus you get plenty of vacation time (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting to go full time can take years and you have no benefits until then (in 81 reviews)

• Very likely that you have to wait many years to move into a full-time position (if ever) (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Potential CCA's READ THIS REVIEW

Current Employee - CCA
    Current Employee - CCA

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

First: In this economy? The pay. New carriers start out at $15,30/hr and (even though your orientation leader may so you're not guaranteed 40 hrs/week) you will get a monstrous amount of overtime. Once you're past your first couple of months and you understand how to carry mail properly you will often work from 8a-6p nearly every day. Also with a few cities, like mine, you will work on Sundays for Amazon. This usually adds an additional 5 hours to the paycheck. Myself and other CCA's in the station work between 51-64 hours a week.

Secondly: You are your own boss for the most part. You will spend 1-2 hours a day in the office between receiving and casing your magazines and any left over letters that the machine didn't sort out. Once you've been in past the 90 day probationary period you are eligible to "hold down" an open route. If you are lucky enough to get a good long term hold (the regular is gone for injury or some other reason) you will learn how to case routes very quickly.

Third: Fitness. There's a lot of people who want to lose weight out there. I weighed 235 lbs when I first started working for the post office and now I weight 180. I lost 50 lbs in the first 3 months alone. It's all exercise though. You can diet if you want, but remember you'll need energy to walk those long routes.

Fourth: Coworkers. Yea, there are turds in every environment, but most of the career employees there are really pulling for you to succeed. Most carriers in my station are former military and a lot of them have been friends for decades. Being a CCA myself, I was worried about how well I'd fit in with some of the grizzled older carriers but they accepted me right away.

Cons

So where to begin. Well remember when I talked about working all that overtime in the Pros section? It's not optional. You will be expected to be at work every day of the week, including Sundays, unless you have a decent management staff. During the Christmas season I once worked for 53 days straight without an off day. We had new CCA's get hired and quit within weeks. Have a family? Tough luck. You will get to see them from 6:30pm till they go to sleep. Sundays you will likely get off work around 1-2pm.

Management is mostly compromised of people who are former carriers or clerks, which is nice because they promote from withing, but the devastating caveat to this is that most of them are uneducated persons. A fair amount of carriers start when they're in their late teens and early twenties and come from jobs that were minimum wage or did not require them to have any kind of leadership training. The managers don't care about the welfare of the employees mental status until it's too late, and most of them tend to act like they were never carriers at all by expecting completely ridiculous things from the CCA's and some career carriers. It's not unusual for a carrier to be given a 2 hr "assist" in addition to whatever their main route is. While most carriers can get this done without much issue, for a new carrier or even an experience carrier on a bad weather day, it can become very stressful mentally.

The threat of being fired is incredibly annoying as a CCA. If you call off sick, if you need to have a personal day, if you even need to pick your kids up from school because your wife got stuck late at the office, a manager will pull you aside and remind you of how expendable you are. The Paid Time Off (PTO) you accrue will come very quickly, and you'll soon realize you have 40 hours and would like a nice little vacation.. too bad you can't take it. As a CCA you're expected to work 360 days a year and then you get 5 days off as a reward and a massive paycheck AFTER your 5 days off. Now you can use that fat cash to...uhhh.. buy something I guess? Certainly would have been more useful if I got it before the 5 day period to use on my vacation.

While the career carriers are really great to deal with usually, the fellow CCA's can become very competitive. Often times if you're given an assist and it's better than another CCA's assist who has "seniority" over you they will complain to other carriers and management that they should have gotten the "good" assist. This is one of the fatal flaws that new people with struggle with. No matter how much faster you are, no matter how much more accurate you are, no matter what, everyone gets promoted by time with the post office. This leads to a lot of carriers just doing the bare minimum and putting the excess on other CCA's or carriers.

The final con (that I'll write about) is that the weather sucks. I know carriers who have been delivering mail for 20+ years and they still can't deal with the rain, the snow, or the heat. The heat is the biggest killer for carriers by far though. If you're in an area that suffers from hot, muggy summers, get ready to consume gallons of water every day, and sweat that out (often onto your customers mail). The worst is when it rains on a hot summer day and then evaporates right off your clothing. Makes you feel like a walking sauna.

CCA's are people too. We have families, we get sick, we need to go the the bank. file our taxes, go to PTA meetings, etc. We understand the needs of the business as well as anyone else, but giving a CCA a day off once every 2-3 weeks isn't going to cost the company nearly as much as having a CCA quit and having to work regulars into V-time. Get your CCA's their uniform allotment on time and if they're within their 90 days loan them some of your rain gear. Stop telling people to "suck it up" because "you carried for 5 years with a broken foot, one eye, and a hook for a hand." If it sucked for you, it probably sucks for us. Think about what you would have wanted as a Carrier or CCA/PTF and let that help you dictate how to manage the post office. Your numbers are important, but they're not gonna get any better when the morale of the entire office is in the dumpster.

Fair

Current Employee - Rural Carrier Associate in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Rural Carrier Associate in Mobile, AL

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay hours and room for advancement.
    Co worker s are nice.

Working away from the facility as a rural carrier

Cons

mail rain driving your own car

Great Job

Good Company

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

It takes a while to earn seniority, but once established, the job flourishes quickly. I have worked here for 20 years.

Cons

Some of the management styles are questionable. I have never really had a problem with anyone during my employment here.

It was okay

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible-ish, decent salary, generally nice co-workers. I enjoyed my time there for the most part.

Cons

Long-term gov employees with no desire to change, update skills. Some re-orgs without notice. Some managers who should not be managers. HQ location while metro friendly seems to be one of those "sick" gov buildings.

Get rid of the managers who cannot manage. Some do not have the skills or personality. Just providing management training does not work. They have to have the personality to manage as well. Get rid of the "institutionalized" people. The cannot move with the times which is what USPS desperately needs.

Good job, bad employees, Good benefits, bad working conditions....

Current Employee - CCA in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CCA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay (15.30/hourly to start), Plenty of hours, Little supervision...

Cons

Pressure to meet time standards when delivering mail, Inconsistent work schedule, tiring when you first start out, WEATHER CONDITIONS...

Be professional, this is not your business.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Casual Mail Handler in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Casual Mail Handler in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, Always on demand for hours, career advancement

Cons

Workin 6 days a week and not knowing when your day will end especially working overnight

Decent pay but High Turnover Rates

I worked at US Postal Service

Pros

The pay is good especially with the economy and the lack of jobs in the state of Wisconsin. Will get a lot of over time hours no matter what. Descent paycheck.

Cons

Working in every type of weather condition. Only able to protect yourself with dog spray that may not work against dogs. Putting your safety at risk by being on your own with mail and packages. Mandatory over time regardless if you finish your route or not, no time for your family or to take care of your personal business, very hard to get any time scheduled off for appointments, etc. Management lack interpersonal skills and Career Letter Carriers & CCAs that have seniority over you can't be trusted they will give throw you under the bus to make themselves look good and it's hard to tell which ones sometimes. Also management Don't Care about your mental and physical well-being at all! They will quickly let you know your Replaceable and to stay out there delivering your mail no matter how long it takes even though they give you unreasonable time frames to do your routes, you better be done and clocked out before 5:30 p.m. Also when you doing a good job, management Reward you with More Mail and Packages and when your doing not so good they fuss, finger point, tell you how bad your doing no matter who is around. No benefits until you get hired in the company. Possibility that you get Injured trying to meet time requirements. Working in the dark by yourself and management is Reluctant to send for help when you need it as a matter of fact they will fuss at you before they send you help or will Not send you help at all!

Learn and Have Interpersonal Skills. Don't make CCAs feel like their invaluable and Stop Over working them and putting unrealistic time frames on them so they won't get hurt or quit all the time which will stop the high Turnover Rates of CCAs.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Mail Handler
    Current Employee - Mail Handler

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time

Pros

Vacation Time, Stability, lack of advancement opertunities

Cons

Over worked, poor;y trained workers, Morale

RCA Position

Former Employee - Rca in Winchester, CA
    Former Employee - Rca in Winchester, CA

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Regular hours, friendly coworkers, get to meet a lot of nice people on the route. All in all, if you like the outdoors and walking, it's a nice environment to be in.

Cons

Stormy weather, windy weather, and extreme heat are now your worst enemies. Prepare for the worst and it'll be fine.

Be more informative with the specific tasks or changes you want to happen. Clarity is key

Very Good

Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Whittier, CA

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Job Security

Cons

Getting use to working Saturdays

N/A