US Postal Service Reviews

2.9
1,613 Reviews
US Postal Service Postmaster General & CEO Patrick R. Donahoe
Patrick R. Donahoe

Pros
  • The people are great, the pay and benefits are good too with semi- flexible hours (in 77 reviews)

• Good pay with excellent medical benefits plus you get plenty of vacation time (in 153 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting to go full time can take years and you have no benefits until then (in 88 reviews)

• Very likely that you have to wait many years to move into a full-time position (if ever) (in 52 reviews)

Potential CCA's READ THIS REVIEW

Current Contractor - CCA
    Current Contractor - CCA

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

First: In this economy? The pay. New carriers start out at $15,30/hr and (even though your orientation leader may so you're not guaranteed 40 hrs/week) you will get a monstrous amount of overtime. Once you're past your first couple of months and you understand how to carry mail properly you will often work from 8a-6p nearly every day. Also with a few cities, like mine, you will work on Sundays for Amazon. This usually adds an additional 5 hours to the paycheck. Myself and other CCA's in the station work between 51-64 hours a week.

Secondly: You are your own boss for the most part. You will spend 1-2 hours a day in the office between receiving and casing your magazines and any left over letters that the machine didn't sort out. Once you've been in past the 90 day probationary period you are eligible to "hold down" an open route. If you are lucky enough to get a good long term hold (the regular is gone for injury or some other reason) you will learn how to case routes very quickly.

Third: Fitness. There's a lot of people who want to lose weight out there. I weighed 235 lbs when I first started working for the post office and now I weight 180. I lost 50 lbs in the first 3 months alone. It's all exercise though. You can diet if you want, but remember you'll need energy to walk those long routes.

Fourth: Coworkers. Yea, there are turds in every environment, but most of the career employees there are really pulling for you to succeed. Most carriers in my station are former military and a lot of them have been friends for decades. Being a CCA myself, I was worried about how well I'd fit in with some of the grizzled older carriers but they accepted me right away.

Cons

So where to begin. Well remember when I talked about working all that overtime in the Pros section? It's not optional. You will be expected to be at work every day of the week, including Sundays, unless you have a decent management staff. During the Christmas season I once worked for 53 days straight without an off day. We had new CCA's get hired and quit within weeks. Have a family? Tough luck. You will get to see them from 6:30pm till they go to sleep. Sundays you will likely get off work around 1-2pm.

Management is mostly compromised of people who are former carriers or clerks, which is nice because they promote from withing, but the devastating caveat to this is that most of them are uneducated persons. A fair amount of carriers start when they're in their late teens and early twenties and come from jobs that were minimum wage or did not require them to have any kind of leadership training. The managers don't care about the welfare of the employees mental status until it's too late, and most of them tend to act like they were never carriers at all by expecting completely ridiculous things from the CCA's and some career carriers. It's not unusual for a carrier to be given a 2 hr "assist" in addition to whatever their main route is. While most carriers can get this done without much issue, for a new carrier or even an experience carrier on a bad weather day, it can become very stressful mentally.

The threat of being fired is incredibly annoying as a CCA. If you call off sick, if you need to have a personal day, if you even need to pick your kids up from school because your wife got stuck late at the office, a manager will pull you aside and remind you of how expendable you are. The Paid Time Off (PTO) you accrue will come very quickly, and you'll soon realize you have 40 hours and would like a nice little vacation.. too bad you can't take it. As a CCA you're expected to work 360 days a year and then you get 5 days off as a reward and a massive paycheck AFTER your 5 days off. Now you can use that fat cash to...uhhh.. buy something I guess? Certainly would have been more useful if I got it before the 5 day period to use on my vacation.

While the career carriers are really great to deal with usually, the fellow CCA's can become very competitive. Often times if you're given an assist and it's better than another CCA's assist who has "seniority" over you they will complain to other carriers and management that they should have gotten the "good" assist. This is one of the fatal flaws that new people with struggle with. No matter how much faster you are, no matter how much more accurate you are, no matter what, everyone gets promoted by time with the post office. This leads to a lot of carriers just doing the bare minimum and putting the excess on other CCA's or carriers.

The final con (that I'll write about) is that the weather sucks. I know carriers who have been delivering mail for 20+ years and they still can't deal with the rain, the snow, or the heat. The heat is the biggest killer for carriers by far though. If you're in an area that suffers from hot, muggy summers, get ready to consume gallons of water every day, and sweat that out (often onto your customers mail). The worst is when it rains on a hot summer day and then evaporates right off your clothing. Makes you feel like a walking sauna.

CCA's are people too. We have families, we get sick, we need to go the the bank. file our taxes, go to PTA meetings, etc. We understand the needs of the business as well as anyone else, but giving a CCA a day off once every 2-3 weeks isn't going to cost the company nearly as much as having a CCA quit and having to work regulars into V-time. Get your CCA's their uniform allotment on time and if they're within their 90 days loan them some of your rain gear. Stop telling people to "suck it up" because "you carried for 5 years with a broken foot, one eye, and a hook for a hand." If it sucked for you, it probably sucks for us. Think about what you would have wanted as a Carrier or CCA/PTF and let that help you dictate how to manage the post office. Your numbers are important, but they're not gonna get any better when the morale of the entire office is in the dumpster.

2. This is a very good company to work for.

Former Employee - Mail Handler in Palatine, IL
    Former Employee - Mail Handler in Palatine, IL

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good , benifits our great. Try to move up in the company . Very good pay the higher you climb the ladder. don’t settle

Cons

cons working on weekends long hours. theirs always overtime if you want it

Hire from within . they like to hire friends

3. Ignorance has a way of getting its way

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, paid vacation and paid sick leave if you are a career employee.

Cons

Be prepared for no life other than the post office. Working all day on Saturdays and in all kinds of weather. In state of emergency your house might be washed away, and roads under 6 feet of water and you will still be expected to be at work. You will be unappreciated by your customers and management.

Quit having advisors making window decisions that have absolutely no window experience.

5. A challenge

Former Employee - General Clerk
    Former Employee - General Clerk

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay
    diversity
    chance for upward mobility
    opportunity to switch job sites
    ability to build friendships
    benefits such as paid vacation, paid sick leave

Cons

Too many people trying to be in charge, sometimes chaotic, do not care enough about workers, only concern is mail delivery

genuinely care about your employees, sometimes they do know how to do the job better than you do.

6. Was a good paying job with benefits.

Former Employee - PSE Mail Processing Clerk in Dearborn Heights, MI
    Former Employee - PSE Mail Processing Clerk in Dearborn Heights, MI

I worked at US Postal Service

Pros

Nice retirement and good health benefits.

Cons

I have to work on Saturday and there is little or no training.

They should alert employees of job requirements when they arrive at work the first day.

7. Loved it, but supervisor abused her authority

Former Employee - CCA in Kingsford, MI
    Former Employee - CCA in Kingsford, MI

I worked at US Postal Service

Pros

Great pay, lots over time, good exercise

Cons

long time before becoming full time regular, supervisor terrible, OIG does nothing with complaints

I think if someone does there job efficiently and is improving with time, supervisors should realize carriers have a hard job, and If the person loves it and does it decently you should probably keep them. Ever the 35 below I still loved it,and that's probably rare. Quit playing favorites, stop discriminating, woman are just as good as men, stop harassing, calling 5 to 6 times a day only slows us down And there's no reason other than sabatoge for it, And dont terminate someone because everyone liked them and not you because you abuse your authority, winter and holidays are bad time to start and I wasnt given any time after to show I could do the job well. Would love my job back even though the supervisor was horrible. Your only inside for a short period of time any ways. But they like to waste money on firing good people, and having to go through the hiring process over and over all because one supervisor has popularity issues and abuses authority. And they make people like her acting postmasters and give them more power. Not smart.

8. Decent pay, but inconsistent working scehdule.

Current Contractor - Clerk in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Contractor - Clerk in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Pays well in comparison to similar jobs.

Cons

Stressful work atmosphere and little to no assurance of permanent work.

Allot enough hours to get the work done. Cutting hours and expecting the same or more work is not plausible.

9. Coca

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Time flies! Always busy! Good for people who don't mind doing a lot of walking

Cons

No being it's bc not career

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Rural Carrier Associate in Medina, OH
    Current Employee - Rural Carrier Associate in Medina, OH

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is steady employment and excellent pay

Cons

Extremely hard work and weekends are mandatory

Replace the aging fleet of trucks

11. my experience working her was very enjoyable

Former Employee - Casual Clerk in Harvey, IL
    Former Employee - Casual Clerk in Harvey, IL

I worked at US Postal Service

Pros

simple tasks, work alone, easy routes to remember

Cons

the position was only a temporary position