US Postal Service Reviews

2.9
1,684 Reviews
US Postal Service Postmaster General & CEO Megan J. Brennan
Megan J. Brennan

Pros
  • The people are great, the pay and benefits are good too with semi- flexible hours (in 77 reviews)

• Good pay with excellent medical benefits plus you get plenty of vacation time (in 153 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting to go full time can take years and you have no benefits until then (in 88 reviews)

• Very likely that you have to wait many years to move into a full-time position (if ever) (in 52 reviews)

Potential CCA's READ THIS REVIEW

Current Contractor - CCA
    Current Contractor - CCA

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

First: In this economy? The pay. New carriers start out at $15,30/hr and (even though your orientation leader may so you're not guaranteed 40 hrs/week) you will get a monstrous amount of overtime. Once you're past your first couple of months and you understand how to carry mail properly you will often work from 8a-6p nearly every day. Also with a few cities, like mine, you will work on Sundays for Amazon. This usually adds an additional 5 hours to the paycheck. Myself and other CCA's in the station work between 51-64 hours a week.

Secondly: You are your own boss for the most part. You will spend 1-2 hours a day in the office between receiving and casing your magazines and any left over letters that the machine didn't sort out. Once you've been in past the 90 day probationary period you are eligible to "hold down" an open route. If you are lucky enough to get a good long term hold (the regular is gone for injury or some other reason) you will learn how to case routes very quickly.

Third: Fitness. There's a lot of people who want to lose weight out there. I weighed 235 lbs when I first started working for the post office and now I weight 180. I lost 50 lbs in the first 3 months alone. It's all exercise though. You can diet if you want, but remember you'll need energy to walk those long routes.

Fourth: Coworkers. Yea, there are turds in every environment, but most of the career employees there are really pulling for you to succeed. Most carriers in my station are former military and a lot of them have been friends for decades. Being a CCA myself, I was worried about how well I'd fit in with some of the grizzled older carriers but they accepted me right away.

Cons

So where to begin. Well remember when I talked about working all that overtime in the Pros section? It's not optional. You will be expected to be at work every day of the week, including Sundays, unless you have a decent management staff. During the Christmas season I once worked for 53 days straight without an off day. We had new CCA's get hired and quit within weeks. Have a family? Tough luck. You will get to see them from 6:30pm till they go to sleep. Sundays you will likely get off work around 1-2pm.

Management is mostly compromised of people who are former carriers or clerks, which is nice because they promote from withing, but the devastating caveat to this is that most of them are uneducated persons. A fair amount of carriers start when they're in their late teens and early twenties and come from jobs that were minimum wage or did not require them to have any kind of leadership training. The managers don't care about the welfare of the employees mental status until it's too late, and most of them tend to act like they were never carriers at all by expecting completely ridiculous things from the CCA's and some career carriers. It's not unusual for a carrier to be given a 2 hr "assist" in addition to whatever their main route is. While most carriers can get this done without much issue, for a new carrier or even an experience carrier on a bad weather day, it can become very stressful mentally.

The threat of being fired is incredibly annoying as a CCA. If you call off sick, if you need to have a personal day, if you even need to pick your kids up from school because your wife got stuck late at the office, a manager will pull you aside and remind you of how expendable you are. The Paid Time Off (PTO) you accrue will come very quickly, and you'll soon realize you have 40 hours and would like a nice little vacation.. too bad you can't take it. As a CCA you're expected to work 360 days a year and then you get 5 days off as a reward and a massive paycheck AFTER your 5 days off. Now you can use that fat cash to...uhhh.. buy something I guess? Certainly would have been more useful if I got it before the 5 day period to use on my vacation.

While the career carriers are really great to deal with usually, the fellow CCA's can become very competitive. Often times if you're given an assist and it's better than another CCA's assist who has "seniority" over you they will complain to other carriers and management that they should have gotten the "good" assist. This is one of the fatal flaws that new people with struggle with. No matter how much faster you are, no matter how much more accurate you are, no matter what, everyone gets promoted by time with the post office. This leads to a lot of carriers just doing the bare minimum and putting the excess on other CCA's or carriers.

The final con (that I'll write about) is that the weather sucks. I know carriers who have been delivering mail for 20+ years and they still can't deal with the rain, the snow, or the heat. The heat is the biggest killer for carriers by far though. If you're in an area that suffers from hot, muggy summers, get ready to consume gallons of water every day, and sweat that out (often onto your customers mail). The worst is when it rains on a hot summer day and then evaporates right off your clothing. Makes you feel like a walking sauna.

Advice to Management

CCA's are people too. We have families, we get sick, we need to go the the bank. file our taxes, go to PTA meetings, etc. We understand the needs of the business as well as anyone else, but giving a CCA a day off once every 2-3 weeks isn't going to cost the company nearly as much as having a CCA quit and having to work regulars into V-time. Get your CCA's their uniform allotment on time and if they're within their 90 days loan them some of your rain gear. Stop telling people to "suck it up" because "you carried for 5 years with a broken foot, one eye, and a hook for a hand." If it sucked for you, it probably sucks for us. Think about what you would have wanted as a Carrier or CCA/PTF and let that help you dictate how to manage the post office. Your numbers are important, but they're not gonna get any better when the morale of the entire office is in the dumpster.

2. it was OK for the most part

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Great pay , pretty cool employees

Cons

Nothing really but the work can get tedious doing over and over again

Advice to Management

Take it easy on the workers

3. Data Collection Tech

Former Employee - Data Collection Tech in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Data Collection Tech in Richmond, VA

I worked at US Postal Service (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits are good

Cons

Insufficient amount of good supervisors

Advice to Management

appreciate the talent tht you have in your employees

5. Postal clerk (PSE)

Current Employee - PSE Clerk in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - PSE Clerk in Dayton, OH

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great pay for a part time job, benefits after a yr

Cons

you have to travel wherever to fill in, even though you get gas money, I dont have the time!

Advice to Management

they need more employee everywhere, always short of help

PTF

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

hours, benefits, people and independence

Cons

hours, culture, redundant orders from management

7. IT Project Leader

Current Employee - IT Project Leader in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Leader in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and opportunities to work on large scale national systems across various platforms. Allows you to grow as technology changes.

Cons

Can be too bureaucratic at times needing many approvals to get something through. Pay for IT managers should be higher.

8. Letter Carrier

Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Cleveland, OH

I worked at US Postal Service (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, overtime, working alone

Cons

Working in terrible weather, unrealistic time expectations, makeshift rules and unqualified managment

Started as temp, patience has paid off!

Current Employee - Mailhandler in Sandston, VA
    Current Employee - Mailhandler in Sandston, VA

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a temp, decent pay, benefits were ok. Now as a career employee (which happened in 1.5 years), paid holidays, retirement, raises are steady and not based on what a supervisor wants to give you, we have union protection. It takes a LOT to get fired but if u have a decent supervisor they will work with u if they can but you have to be willing to be an absolute model employee.

Cons

As a temp, mandatory overtime up to 12 hours at the last minute, working holidays for no extra pay and which temps had to work was always inconsistent...schedule changes at the drop of a hat. It takes a LOT to get fired. Yes that was a pro as well...no BS layoffs or firings because someone doesnt like you...but there is a list of steps that have to be taken to get fired and people who should have been gone (felons, assaults, etc) still work among us. As a career employee, so far so good...but i will update if needed!

Advice to Management

Your "barely out of high school" relatives do not deserve to come in the door and walk straight into supervisor positions. The favoritism at my plant is outrageous. People are protected by the union but almost to a fault...there are employees there who have criminal records that they have gotten since they began and nobody cares.

Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at US Postal Service as an intern

Pros

I enjoyed my time as an intern there. Worked with the policies team. My office was fun. I think it all depends on what department you work for.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

11. pse mail precessing clerk

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Good benfits and very good pay

Cons

Long hours and work every holiday