US Postal Service

2.9
1,401 Reviews

US Postal Service Postmaster General & CEO Patrick R. Donahoe
Patrick R. Donahoe

Pros
  • The people are great, the pay and benefits are good too with semi- flexible hours (in 77 reviews)

• Good pay with excellent medical benefits plus you get plenty of vacation time (in 153 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting to go full time can take years and you have no benefits until then (in 88 reviews)

• Very likely that you have to wait many years to move into a full-time position (if ever) (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Potential CCA's READ THIS REVIEW

Current Employee - CCA
    Current Employee - CCA

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

First: In this economy? The pay. New carriers start out at $15,30/hr and (even though your orientation leader may so you're not guaranteed 40 hrs/week) you will get a monstrous amount of overtime. Once you're past your first couple of months and you understand how to carry mail properly you will often work from 8a-6p nearly every day. Also with a few cities, like mine, you will work on Sundays for Amazon. This usually adds an additional 5 hours to the paycheck. Myself and other CCA's in the station work between 51-64 hours a week.

Secondly: You are your own boss for the most part. You will spend 1-2 hours a day in the office between receiving and casing your magazines and any left over letters that the machine didn't sort out. Once you've been in past the 90 day probationary period you are eligible to "hold down" an open route. If you are lucky enough to get a good long term hold (the regular is gone for injury or some other reason) you will learn how to case routes very quickly.

Third: Fitness. There's a lot of people who want to lose weight out there. I weighed 235 lbs when I first started working for the post office and now I weight 180. I lost 50 lbs in the first 3 months alone. It's all exercise though. You can diet if you want, but remember you'll need energy to walk those long routes.

Fourth: Coworkers. Yea, there are turds in every environment, but most of the career employees there are really pulling for you to succeed. Most carriers in my station are former military and a lot of them have been friends for decades. Being a CCA myself, I was worried about how well I'd fit in with some of the grizzled older carriers but they accepted me right away.

Cons

So where to begin. Well remember when I talked about working all that overtime in the Pros section? It's not optional. You will be expected to be at work every day of the week, including Sundays, unless you have a decent management staff. During the Christmas season I once worked for 53 days straight without an off day. We had new CCA's get hired and quit within weeks. Have a family? Tough luck. You will get to see them from 6:30pm till they go to sleep. Sundays you will likely get off work around 1-2pm.

Management is mostly compromised of people who are former carriers or clerks, which is nice because they promote from withing, but the devastating caveat to this is that most of them are uneducated persons. A fair amount of carriers start when they're in their late teens and early twenties and come from jobs that were minimum wage or did not require them to have any kind of leadership training. The managers don't care about the welfare of the employees mental status until it's too late, and most of them tend to act like they were never carriers at all by expecting completely ridiculous things from the CCA's and some career carriers. It's not unusual for a carrier to be given a 2 hr "assist" in addition to whatever their main route is. While most carriers can get this done without much issue, for a new carrier or even an experience carrier on a bad weather day, it can become very stressful mentally.

The threat of being fired is incredibly annoying as a CCA. If you call off sick, if you need to have a personal day, if you even need to pick your kids up from school because your wife got stuck late at the office, a manager will pull you aside and remind you of how expendable you are. The Paid Time Off (PTO) you accrue will come very quickly, and you'll soon realize you have 40 hours and would like a nice little vacation.. too bad you can't take it. As a CCA you're expected to work 360 days a year and then you get 5 days off as a reward and a massive paycheck AFTER your 5 days off. Now you can use that fat cash to...uhhh.. buy something I guess? Certainly would have been more useful if I got it before the 5 day period to use on my vacation.

While the career carriers are really great to deal with usually, the fellow CCA's can become very competitive. Often times if you're given an assist and it's better than another CCA's assist who has "seniority" over you they will complain to other carriers and management that they should have gotten the "good" assist. This is one of the fatal flaws that new people with struggle with. No matter how much faster you are, no matter how much more accurate you are, no matter what, everyone gets promoted by time with the post office. This leads to a lot of carriers just doing the bare minimum and putting the excess on other CCA's or carriers.

The final con (that I'll write about) is that the weather sucks. I know carriers who have been delivering mail for 20+ years and they still can't deal with the rain, the snow, or the heat. The heat is the biggest killer for carriers by far though. If you're in an area that suffers from hot, muggy summers, get ready to consume gallons of water every day, and sweat that out (often onto your customers mail). The worst is when it rains on a hot summer day and then evaporates right off your clothing. Makes you feel like a walking sauna.

CCA's are people too. We have families, we get sick, we need to go the the bank. file our taxes, go to PTA meetings, etc. We understand the needs of the business as well as anyone else, but giving a CCA a day off once every 2-3 weeks isn't going to cost the company nearly as much as having a CCA quit and having to work regulars into V-time. Get your CCA's their uniform allotment on time and if they're within their 90 days loan them some of your rain gear. Stop telling people to "suck it up" because "you carried for 5 years with a broken foot, one eye, and a hook for a hand." If it sucked for you, it probably sucks for us. Think about what you would have wanted as a Carrier or CCA/PTF and let that help you dictate how to manage the post office. Your numbers are important, but they're not gonna get any better when the morale of the entire office is in the dumpster.

I've never hated a job until now

Current Employee - CCA in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - CCA in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-having off on holidays
    -no supervision during most of the day

Cons

-having off on holidays. The day after is always crazy and heavy so you can't even enjoy the holiday.
    -CCAs always get the work no one wants to do especially if you aren't management's favorite
    -CCAs never get days off and sometimes have to work Sunday's
    -no benefits
    -becoming a regular is impossible
    -managers are rude
    -all they do is rush you (creating a heightened risk for injury) and if you do finish in a good time they give you more work

You don't have to let your miserable lives effect your employees.

Takes skill and patience

Former Employee - Clerk in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Clerk in Detroit, MI

I worked at US Postal Service

Pros

The pay is excellent, you can move up in company if you desire, but the further up you go in management, the less autonomy you will have.

Cons

Too many bosses! There are several areas to work in and each area can have several supervisors...some are inexperienced, some are very trained. It can be very frustrating trying to decipher who to listen to!

Train all your supervisors, take notice of employees who are people friendly and make them supervisors... Workers usually can tell management how to improve service if given the chance.

It was a great place to work and provided me many opportunities.

I worked at US Postal Service

Pros

The benefits were excellent and the retirement package provided me a monthly annuity.

Cons

I was able to start by loading trucks on the dock and ended up being the Area Manager, so there is nothing negative to say about this organization.

Continue to provide employees the opportunity to advance their careers.

CCA

Former Employee - CCA in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - CCA in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at US Postal Service

Pros

Good pay. Coworkers very helpful.

Cons

Long hours. delivery sometime in the dark.

No comment

It's stressful to do the postman's work.

Current Employee - City Carrier Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - City Carrier Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Pay is Better than average. The benefits of employment are widely known to be better than most jobs available to someone without a college degree.

Cons

A City Carrier Assistant (CCA) works on an indefinite schedule. The US Postal Service is operated by bureaucracy and there are countless unnecessary rules which make it operate less efficiently than it can.

Do try to understand what the the Carriers have to go through day in and day out.

Can you say..."Roller Coaster Ride"

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

The salary, salary, and salary.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement and management must step down off that high horse.

Unstable Atmosphere

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Liked working in automotive industry

Cons

Employee high turn over rate

None

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Postmaster Relief
    Former Employee - Postmaster Relief

I worked at US Postal Service part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable and consistent employment. Friendly co-workers and employees. Sundays and major US holidays off. Good pay and benefits if you are a regular employee.

Cons

Constant policy changes, 6 day a week availability, on call and limited hours for temporary employees but must maintain 100% availability in case you are called in. Difficult to have another job.

Consider giving TRC's PMR's and any other temporary employees at least 10-15 hours a week. Four hours at $11.00/hour is not enough to be on call all the time.

Demanding schedule, good pay, tough to build up

Current Employee - PSE Clerk
    Current Employee - PSE Clerk

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and easy schedule. observe holidays such as Veteran's Day and Labor Day, 3 weeks of vacation when you are career

Cons

Takes a while to build up, 430am on Sunday, Demanding deadlines

Show some more appreciation of employees