US Postal Service

2.9
1,350 Reviews

US Postal Service Postmaster General & CEO Patrick R. Donahoe
Patrick R. Donahoe

Pros
  • The people are great, the pay and benefits are good too with semi- flexible hours (in 73 reviews)

• Good pay with excellent medical benefits plus you get plenty of vacation time (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting to go full time can take years and you have no benefits until then (in 81 reviews)

• Very likely that you have to wait many years to move into a full-time position (if ever) (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Potential CCA's READ THIS REVIEW

Current Employee - CCA
    Current Employee - CCA

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

First: In this economy? The pay. New carriers start out at $15,30/hr and (even though your orientation leader may so you're not guaranteed 40 hrs/week) you will get a monstrous amount of overtime. Once you're past your first couple of months and you understand how to carry mail properly you will often work from 8a-6p nearly every day. Also with a few cities, like mine, you will work on Sundays for Amazon. This usually adds an additional 5 hours to the paycheck. Myself and other CCA's in the station work between 51-64 hours a week.

Secondly: You are your own boss for the most part. You will spend 1-2 hours a day in the office between receiving and casing your magazines and any left over letters that the machine didn't sort out. Once you've been in past the 90 day probationary period you are eligible to "hold down" an open route. If you are lucky enough to get a good long term hold (the regular is gone for injury or some other reason) you will learn how to case routes very quickly.

Third: Fitness. There's a lot of people who want to lose weight out there. I weighed 235 lbs when I first started working for the post office and now I weight 180. I lost 50 lbs in the first 3 months alone. It's all exercise though. You can diet if you want, but remember you'll need energy to walk those long routes.

Fourth: Coworkers. Yea, there are turds in every environment, but most of the career employees there are really pulling for you to succeed. Most carriers in my station are former military and a lot of them have been friends for decades. Being a CCA myself, I was worried about how well I'd fit in with some of the grizzled older carriers but they accepted me right away.

Cons

So where to begin. Well remember when I talked about working all that overtime in the Pros section? It's not optional. You will be expected to be at work every day of the week, including Sundays, unless you have a decent management staff. During the Christmas season I once worked for 53 days straight without an off day. We had new CCA's get hired and quit within weeks. Have a family? Tough luck. You will get to see them from 6:30pm till they go to sleep. Sundays you will likely get off work around 1-2pm.

Management is mostly compromised of people who are former carriers or clerks, which is nice because they promote from withing, but the devastating caveat to this is that most of them are uneducated persons. A fair amount of carriers start when they're in their late teens and early twenties and come from jobs that were minimum wage or did not require them to have any kind of leadership training. The managers don't care about the welfare of the employees mental status until it's too late, and most of them tend to act like they were never carriers at all by expecting completely ridiculous things from the CCA's and some career carriers. It's not unusual for a carrier to be given a 2 hr "assist" in addition to whatever their main route is. While most carriers can get this done without much issue, for a new carrier or even an experience carrier on a bad weather day, it can become very stressful mentally.

The threat of being fired is incredibly annoying as a CCA. If you call off sick, if you need to have a personal day, if you even need to pick your kids up from school because your wife got stuck late at the office, a manager will pull you aside and remind you of how expendable you are. The Paid Time Off (PTO) you accrue will come very quickly, and you'll soon realize you have 40 hours and would like a nice little vacation.. too bad you can't take it. As a CCA you're expected to work 360 days a year and then you get 5 days off as a reward and a massive paycheck AFTER your 5 days off. Now you can use that fat cash to...uhhh.. buy something I guess? Certainly would have been more useful if I got it before the 5 day period to use on my vacation.

While the career carriers are really great to deal with usually, the fellow CCA's can become very competitive. Often times if you're given an assist and it's better than another CCA's assist who has "seniority" over you they will complain to other carriers and management that they should have gotten the "good" assist. This is one of the fatal flaws that new people with struggle with. No matter how much faster you are, no matter how much more accurate you are, no matter what, everyone gets promoted by time with the post office. This leads to a lot of carriers just doing the bare minimum and putting the excess on other CCA's or carriers.

The final con (that I'll write about) is that the weather sucks. I know carriers who have been delivering mail for 20+ years and they still can't deal with the rain, the snow, or the heat. The heat is the biggest killer for carriers by far though. If you're in an area that suffers from hot, muggy summers, get ready to consume gallons of water every day, and sweat that out (often onto your customers mail). The worst is when it rains on a hot summer day and then evaporates right off your clothing. Makes you feel like a walking sauna.

CCA's are people too. We have families, we get sick, we need to go the the bank. file our taxes, go to PTA meetings, etc. We understand the needs of the business as well as anyone else, but giving a CCA a day off once every 2-3 weeks isn't going to cost the company nearly as much as having a CCA quit and having to work regulars into V-time. Get your CCA's their uniform allotment on time and if they're within their 90 days loan them some of your rain gear. Stop telling people to "suck it up" because "you carried for 5 years with a broken foot, one eye, and a hook for a hand." If it sucked for you, it probably sucks for us. Think about what you would have wanted as a Carrier or CCA/PTF and let that help you dictate how to manage the post office. Your numbers are important, but they're not gonna get any better when the morale of the entire office is in the dumpster.

management is horrible

Former Employee - CCA in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - CCA in Tulsa, OK

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

employees look out for other employees..

Cons

**ATTENTION JENKINS CCA**
    you can be transferred to another station with a hours notice. you will be asked to carry mail at another location with a hour notice. just be prepared to go where ever and do what ever the post office needs you to do. I have worked 16 days straight others have work 22 days straight with out a day off (including Sundays). i have worked 67 hours in one week. and i guarantee you that was my last week at the post office. i needed the money but not as bad as they needed workers. management will schedule you 6 days a week. Then ask you to work sundays (delivering packages). Then the following week schedule you again for 6 days a week. This can go on your entire time as a CCA. I was very fast as a CCA skipped my lunch and breaks. because they wanted you to carry a route n a half and be back before 6. however, if you do make it back before 5:30 you will be asked to go back out and help someone else. so it was a catch 22 with these people. either take your lunch and breaks and be late after 6. or don't take your lunch and break and be back early only to help someone who did take their lunch and breaks.

It is not worth losing employees because you refuse to give them one day off. learn how to ROTATE CCA. its not fair to make CCA carry a route n a half 3-4 days out the week. we like to get done early and go home.

Interesting.

Former Employee - City Carrier Assistant in Birmingham, MI
    Former Employee - City Carrier Assistant in Birmingham, MI

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workload, location, workers, environment, philosophy.

Cons

Days per week, moving from different offices.

Treat the employees with respect.

Its Okay

Current Employee - CCA in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - CCA in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Steady work, keeps you in shape, not stuck in a cubicle.

Cons

Management only care about numbers. I have been here about a month and I am trying to pick up on all the tricks of the trade to increase my speed. I work on a park and loop and hopping route. (Drive to a location and then carry all the mail for that route on you while you walk the block). So, I have yet to hone in my speed on this issue. When I started it was taking me 6 hours to do half a route. I am now taking 8 hours for a full route. I am told it should only take me 6 hours as I am only delivering and not casing(sorting) the mail for the route. Every day I am told that Yesterday was bad and I need to improve. When I state that I have been improving, I get a "It doesn't matter, I need you to do it in this time" response. I was pulled in to the office and talked to about being let go already if my times do not get up to par. I am improving, it is just taking me some time. When I ask what I can do to improve I am told to do it faster. I am speed walking these routes rather than just walking to get it this close. I am not on a set schedule, I have to call every morning to find out if I am working that day or not.

Allow the new hires some time to get the hang of the "how to's" of the job.

Very good to great Job to have because of Pay Rate, Benefits and Union Representation. Career Based Positions.

Former Employee - City Carrier Assistant in East Hampton, NY
    Former Employee - City Carrier Assistant in East Hampton, NY

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Bi-Weekly Pay Frequency and Wages. ($15.00+ per hour starting CCA) Union Representation (NALC) Work Flow is good and fast, 8 hours of work feels like 6 due to all the driving, and walking. Great for Exercise and keeping fit! When the Mail Volume is high, and the Office is busy, there is ALWAYS work to be done. No room for downtime or boredom.

Cons

Work/Live Balance is not for everybody. As a result, at group interviews I saw at least 5 to 10 Candidates/Applicants walk out after being told of some the Job Expectations twice. Examples that were discussed at interview sessions that had a negative impact to some was: Work Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays. Full Time not guaranteed. Must be available to work at any day and time during business/operational hours. College/Other Job Schedules cannot conflict, so its highly likely that one would have to resign or quit current day job/school if hired and want to work for USPS. Career Advancement is also a challenge due to Seniority rules and waiting for a Career Carrier to Retire to even have an opportunity to move up. CCAs get a 360 Day Appointment from date of hire. (If employee maintains position) After 360 Days CCA gets 5 Days Leave Time which must be used before next appointment. CCAs are expected to deliver between 300-500 pieces of Mail per day for a duration of approx. 6-8 Hours a day shift. That includes accurate delivery and timely with Express and Pickups. Middle to End of Week often includes extra bundles to carry and deliver. (Up to 70 lbs) On rare occasions, a CCA may also be asked to use their personal vehicle for Mail Delivery if the assigned Office LLV vehicles are down. Job is demanding but rewarding for those that master it. Zero Tolerance for Accidents.

Inadequate on site training for new associates* (set up to fail) -The Learning Curve of the Job Duties for this Position of CCA is a challenge for anyone. Employees don't need to have a Masters Degree to qualify for job requirements or to figure out this job. On the outside its very simple, however without adequate training and more importantly, Patience before or by the end of the 90 Day Probation Period if the CCA is still a little slow at finishing routes or don't remember their assigned delivery routes and got bit by a dog or had an accident...that CCA is Terminated. Postmasters and Supervisors have a very low Tolerance for Lack of Improvement or critical mistakes in Probation Period.
     "The Mail Must be Delivered"
    Limited Opportunity for Growth and Advancement -The Seniority rule is understandable, however waiting for a Career Carrier to Retire and hoping that your hard work and dedicated, great performance got recognition to earn Career can be frustrating for some that have had multiple appointments without promotion.
    Scheduling Issues - This depends on the person. I personally did not have an issue with work/life balance at USPS.

I've never hated a job until now

Current Employee - CCA in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - CCA in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-having off on holidays
    -no supervision during most of the day

Cons

-having off on holidays. The day after is always crazy and heavy so you can't even enjoy the holiday.
    -CCAs always get the work no one wants to do especially if you aren't management's favorite
    -CCAs never get days off and sometimes have to work Sunday's
    -no benefits
    -becoming a regular is impossible
    -managers are rude
    -all they do is rush you (creating a heightened risk for injury) and if you do finish in a good time they give you more work

You don't have to let your miserable lives effect your employees.

Huge workloads, poor management makes for LONG days

Current Employee - Rural Carrier in Cypress, TX
    Current Employee - Rural Carrier in Cypress, TX

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, retirement package

Cons

Heavy workload, poor management practices

Prioritize getting carriers to their routes rather than skimping on clerks who get mail and packages to carriers

WAS a great place to work.........

Current Employee - Mail Processing Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Mail Processing Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Health and life insurance, paid vacation, the amount depends on how long you've been there. Most of the time training is provided.

Cons

Supervision is lax. People who are not fully trained are not corrected. Some supervisors should not be there.

Very challenging

Former Employee - Mail Carrier Assistant in West Hyattsville, MD
    Former Employee - Mail Carrier Assistant in West Hyattsville, MD

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

pay is good, you will get overtime because you work 6 days a wk

Cons

this job is basically your life, you dont have time to do anything else, you are only off on sundays

very disorganized

Rural Carrier Associate

Current Employee - Sub Rural Carrier in Baxter, MN
    Current Employee - Sub Rural Carrier in Baxter, MN

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, wonderful co-workers, and nice mangement staff.

Cons

Not enough shifts when I'm the main breadwinner for the family. No health insurance for part time. Long wait for the full time job position to open up. Long Life Vechiles (LLV) ongoing issues.

Need to open more shifts so employees can support their families, health insurance for the part time employees, and somehow, get these LLV issues tackled. Thank you.