US Postal Service Reviews

1,261 Reviews
1,261 Reviews

US Postal Service Postmaster General & CEO Patrick R. Donahoe
Patrick R. Donahoe

Pros
  • The people are great, the pay and benefits are good too with semi- flexible hours (in 72 reviews)

• Good pay with excellent medical benefits plus you get plenty of vacation time (in 140 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting to go full time can take years and you have no benefits until then (in 79 reviews)

• I can only scratch the surface of what a pain it is to work for the United States Post Office (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Potential CCA's READ THIS REVIEW

Current Employee - CCA
    Current Employee - CCA

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

First: In this economy? The pay. New carriers start out at $15,30/hr and (even though your orientation leader may so you're not guaranteed 40 hrs/week) you will get a monstrous amount of overtime. Once you're past your first couple of months and you understand how to carry mail properly you will often work from 8a-6p nearly every day. Also with a few cities, like mine, you will work on Sundays for Amazon. This usually adds an additional 5 hours to the paycheck. Myself and other CCA's in the station work between 51-64 hours a week.

Secondly: You are your own boss for the most part. You will spend 1-2 hours a day in the office between receiving and casing your magazines and any left over letters that the machine didn't sort out. Once you've been in past the 90 day probationary period you are eligible to "hold down" an open route. If you are lucky enough to get a good long term hold (the regular is gone for injury or some other reason) you will learn how to case routes very quickly.

Third: Fitness. There's a lot of people who want to lose weight out there. I weighed 235 lbs when I first started working for the post office and now I weight 180. I lost 50 lbs in the first 3 months alone. It's all exercise though. You can diet if you want, but remember you'll need energy to walk those long routes.

Fourth: Coworkers. Yea, there are turds in every environment, but most of the career employees there are really pulling for you to succeed. Most carriers in my station are former military and a lot of them have been friends for decades. Being a CCA myself, I was worried about how well I'd fit in with some of the grizzled older carriers but they accepted me right away.

Cons

So where to begin. Well remember when I talked about working all that overtime in the Pros section? It's not optional. You will be expected to be at work every day of the week, including Sundays, unless you have a decent management staff. During the Christmas season I once worked for 53 days straight without an off day. We had new CCA's get hired and quit within weeks. Have a family? Tough luck. You will get to see them from 6:30pm till they go to sleep. Sundays you will likely get off work around 1-2pm.

Management is mostly compromised of people who are former carriers or clerks, which is nice because they promote from withing, but the devastating caveat to this is that most of them are uneducated persons. A fair amount of carriers start when they're in their late teens and early twenties and come from jobs that were minimum wage or did not require them to have any kind of leadership training. The managers don't care about the welfare of the employees mental status until it's too late, and most of them tend to act like they were never carriers at all by expecting completely ridiculous things from the CCA's and some career carriers. It's not unusual for a carrier to be given a 2 hr "assist" in addition to whatever their main route is. While most carriers can get this done without much issue, for a new carrier or even an experience carrier on a bad weather day, it can become very stressful mentally.

The threat of being fired is incredibly annoying as a CCA. If you call off sick, if you need to have a personal day, if you even need to pick your kids up from school because your wife got stuck late at the office, a manager will pull you aside and remind you of how expendable you are. The Paid Time Off (PTO) you accrue will come very quickly, and you'll soon realize you have 40 hours and would like a nice little vacation.. too bad you can't take it. As a CCA you're expected to work 360 days a year and then you get 5 days off as a reward and a massive paycheck AFTER your 5 days off. Now you can use that fat cash to...uhhh.. buy something I guess? Certainly would have been more useful if I got it before the 5 day period to use on my vacation.

While the career carriers are really great to deal with usually, the fellow CCA's can become very competitive. Often times if you're given an assist and it's better than another CCA's assist who has "seniority" over you they will complain to other carriers and management that they should have gotten the "good" assist. This is one of the fatal flaws that new people with struggle with. No matter how much faster you are, no matter how much more accurate you are, no matter what, everyone gets promoted by time with the post office. This leads to a lot of carriers just doing the bare minimum and putting the excess on other CCA's or carriers.

The final con (that I'll write about) is that the weather sucks. I know carriers who have been delivering mail for 20+ years and they still can't deal with the rain, the snow, or the heat. The heat is the biggest killer for carriers by far though. If you're in an area that suffers from hot, muggy summers, get ready to consume gallons of water every day, and sweat that out (often onto your customers mail). The worst is when it rains on a hot summer day and then evaporates right off your clothing. Makes you feel like a walking sauna.

CCA's are people too. We have families, we get sick, we need to go the the bank. file our taxes, go to PTA meetings, etc. We understand the needs of the business as well as anyone else, but giving a CCA a day off once every 2-3 weeks isn't going to cost the company nearly as much as having a CCA quit and having to work regulars into V-time. Get your CCA's their uniform allotment on time and if they're within their 90 days loan them some of your rain gear. Stop telling people to "suck it up" because "you carried for 5 years with a broken foot, one eye, and a hook for a hand." If it sucked for you, it probably sucks for us. Think about what you would have wanted as a Carrier or CCA/PTF and let that help you dictate how to manage the post office. Your numbers are important, but they're not gonna get any better when the morale of the entire office is in the dumpster.

Mail isUS mail is attempting to save itself.

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

People are like busy bees and the work is tedious and you got to have a cool head. Once i get use to loading and labeling parcels and stuff like that things get easier.

Cons

It sucks as a new hire you have to wait a year to get the good stuff. And it takes time to become regular but once the job is learned it is just a matter of time.

Horrible

Current Employee - City Carrier Assistant in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - City Carrier Assistant in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

IF and I say IF there was to be any Pros I guess would would be the hours cause you will get plenty.

Cons

Now where to start!! Let's start with just today management atleast at my workplace is very shady to the point where I have to take picture of my schedule. Last night i tripled check my schedule to make sure I was off the following day and ended up taking a picture off it. Wake up the next morning to 7 missed calls from my supervisor saying that i was scheduled to work and sent me a picture of the schedule with it now saying that i wasn't off. Proceeded to respond with my picture in response. Next this whole CCA position is garbage. I went from being a TE carrier making $22 per hour until they decided to get rid of it and make all non career employees CCA's, Well they decided to slay the pay by $8 and pretty much make you their dog. Not only that but they just started Sunday delivery which is the CCa's sole responsbility as well as on holidays.

Great job and people to be around

Current Employee - Letter Carrier
    Current Employee - Letter Carrier

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people and management are very friendly in the work place. Being outside is a plus, enjoying the elements while delivering the peoples mail.

Cons

Snowy, rainy, and hot hot hot days!

Casual Handler-handled

I worked at US Postal Service part-time

Pros

Pay is good, lots of overtime available.

Cons

Lot of problems during pay day, sometimes you will get a pay advance instead of a pay check if they screw up.

Was once a great place to work, Future doesn't look great

Former Employee - Postmaster
    Former Employee - Postmaster

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay & benefits if you are a career employee.

Cons

Downsizing all the time. No personal life (Company must come first). Hard to get relief if you need time off. Not enough coverage of available employees to cover the work that needs done.

Everyone at Headquarters needs to spend time in the field working at every level Post Office before assuming a position that determines the rules & regs that these offices have to follow.

A great place to build a career

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

It's a great place to build a career and to work your way up the ladder to a higher position if needed.

Cons

Some folks aren't as nice as you think

City Carrier Assistant

Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Berwyn, IL
    Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Berwyn, IL

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros $15.30 an hour, being out doors and working independently for anyone who enjoys working with the elements.

Cons

temporary/ causal. You do the same work as career mail handler and get paid way less. Can be physically demanding. Had to pay $100 a month for my own health insurance plus union dues. Don't playing on having a life because you will be working Mon-Sat

Increase pay for CCA perhaps than there wouldn't be such a high turnover rate. Improve the benefits package for CCA who work full time hours. Supervisors need to work on their Interpersonal skills,

Not aneasy job

Current Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, work with the public interacting, work outside

Cons

the weather, mgmt is really bad in some places

Listen

Great Job .... Not for Everyone Though

Current Employee - CCA in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - CCA in Greenville, SC

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

In most jobs you sit around waiting and wondering when 5 o'clock will get here... At the Post Office you look down at your watch and you are like "Crap, it is almost 5 o'clock" ... Never have I done anything (fun or work related) where the time has gone by so fast! Personally my 10 hour day seems like 4-5 hours at max. Love the fact you are always going and therefore can never be bored!

Cons

Not for everyone one! Don't be fooled this IS NOT an easy job. You work and you work and then you work harder! So if you are lazy don't bother, b/c I will place a bet that you will quit before they even get the chance to fire you.

Case and Deliver for a week ( if you haven't before) then fuss at us.