US Postal Service

2.9
1,495 Reviews

US Postal Service Postmaster General & CEO Patrick R. Donahoe
Patrick R. Donahoe

Pros
  • The people are great, the pay and benefits are good too with semi- flexible hours (in 77 reviews)

• Good pay with excellent medical benefits plus you get plenty of vacation time (in 153 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting to go full time can take years and you have no benefits until then (in 88 reviews)

• Very likely that you have to wait many years to move into a full-time position (if ever) (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Potential CCA's READ THIS REVIEW

Current Employee - CCA
    Current Employee - CCA

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

First: In this economy? The pay. New carriers start out at $15,30/hr and (even though your orientation leader may so you're not guaranteed 40 hrs/week) you will get a monstrous amount of overtime. Once you're past your first couple of months and you understand how to carry mail properly you will often work from 8a-6p nearly every day. Also with a few cities, like mine, you will work on Sundays for Amazon. This usually adds an additional 5 hours to the paycheck. Myself and other CCA's in the station work between 51-64 hours a week.

Secondly: You are your own boss for the most part. You will spend 1-2 hours a day in the office between receiving and casing your magazines and any left over letters that the machine didn't sort out. Once you've been in past the 90 day probationary period you are eligible to "hold down" an open route. If you are lucky enough to get a good long term hold (the regular is gone for injury or some other reason) you will learn how to case routes very quickly.

Third: Fitness. There's a lot of people who want to lose weight out there. I weighed 235 lbs when I first started working for the post office and now I weight 180. I lost 50 lbs in the first 3 months alone. It's all exercise though. You can diet if you want, but remember you'll need energy to walk those long routes.

Fourth: Coworkers. Yea, there are turds in every environment, but most of the career employees there are really pulling for you to succeed. Most carriers in my station are former military and a lot of them have been friends for decades. Being a CCA myself, I was worried about how well I'd fit in with some of the grizzled older carriers but they accepted me right away.

Cons

So where to begin. Well remember when I talked about working all that overtime in the Pros section? It's not optional. You will be expected to be at work every day of the week, including Sundays, unless you have a decent management staff. During the Christmas season I once worked for 53 days straight without an off day. We had new CCA's get hired and quit within weeks. Have a family? Tough luck. You will get to see them from 6:30pm till they go to sleep. Sundays you will likely get off work around 1-2pm.

Management is mostly compromised of people who are former carriers or clerks, which is nice because they promote from withing, but the devastating caveat to this is that most of them are uneducated persons. A fair amount of carriers start when they're in their late teens and early twenties and come from jobs that were minimum wage or did not require them to have any kind of leadership training. The managers don't care about the welfare of the employees mental status until it's too late, and most of them tend to act like they were never carriers at all by expecting completely ridiculous things from the CCA's and some career carriers. It's not unusual for a carrier to be given a 2 hr "assist" in addition to whatever their main route is. While most carriers can get this done without much issue, for a new carrier or even an experience carrier on a bad weather day, it can become very stressful mentally.

The threat of being fired is incredibly annoying as a CCA. If you call off sick, if you need to have a personal day, if you even need to pick your kids up from school because your wife got stuck late at the office, a manager will pull you aside and remind you of how expendable you are. The Paid Time Off (PTO) you accrue will come very quickly, and you'll soon realize you have 40 hours and would like a nice little vacation.. too bad you can't take it. As a CCA you're expected to work 360 days a year and then you get 5 days off as a reward and a massive paycheck AFTER your 5 days off. Now you can use that fat cash to...uhhh.. buy something I guess? Certainly would have been more useful if I got it before the 5 day period to use on my vacation.

While the career carriers are really great to deal with usually, the fellow CCA's can become very competitive. Often times if you're given an assist and it's better than another CCA's assist who has "seniority" over you they will complain to other carriers and management that they should have gotten the "good" assist. This is one of the fatal flaws that new people with struggle with. No matter how much faster you are, no matter how much more accurate you are, no matter what, everyone gets promoted by time with the post office. This leads to a lot of carriers just doing the bare minimum and putting the excess on other CCA's or carriers.

The final con (that I'll write about) is that the weather sucks. I know carriers who have been delivering mail for 20+ years and they still can't deal with the rain, the snow, or the heat. The heat is the biggest killer for carriers by far though. If you're in an area that suffers from hot, muggy summers, get ready to consume gallons of water every day, and sweat that out (often onto your customers mail). The worst is when it rains on a hot summer day and then evaporates right off your clothing. Makes you feel like a walking sauna.

CCA's are people too. We have families, we get sick, we need to go the the bank. file our taxes, go to PTA meetings, etc. We understand the needs of the business as well as anyone else, but giving a CCA a day off once every 2-3 weeks isn't going to cost the company nearly as much as having a CCA quit and having to work regulars into V-time. Get your CCA's their uniform allotment on time and if they're within their 90 days loan them some of your rain gear. Stop telling people to "suck it up" because "you carried for 5 years with a broken foot, one eye, and a hook for a hand." If it sucked for you, it probably sucks for us. Think about what you would have wanted as a Carrier or CCA/PTF and let that help you dictate how to manage the post office. Your numbers are important, but they're not gonna get any better when the morale of the entire office is in the dumpster.

Better Than Most

Current Employee - Mail Handler Assistant in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Mail Handler Assistant in Aurora, IL

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Not back breaking, and they keep you pretty busy so the time flys by pretty fast. If you like overtime or need to make some decent money out the gate this is the place to be.

Cons

Not many but they're a little wishy washy with the schedule at times because they can change it and blame you for not checking it. My only other complaint is that they call overtime literally at the last minute

Keep the overtime flowing

Pse

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Always a lot of hours to give

Cons

Work 6 days a week at 4 am!!

Current city carrier with USPS.

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Get to be outside and moving around most of the day. Pay is decent and benefits are good as well. Paid vacation, sick leave, retirement plans, and good insurance.

Cons

Physical job! Before you become a permanent employee you must work as a sub and its horrible. 6 days a week and long hours as a substitute. Can take years to become a regular.

Go union!

CCA

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Being a CCA can be difficult at times but really the job isnt as bad as some people make it seem ( well i guess depending on the area) most days I work 8-9hrs a day. I get some days offs other than Sundays about once or twice a month, and there is good work and life balance. Once u learn the system then u can play it just like a regular....just be smart about it.

Cons

U will have to do parts of other peoples routes alot which feel makes you feel like ur constantly picking up the slack of other ppl. Then dealing with the public and cranky customers can get very annoying as well.

DO NOT believe anything they say.

Just a job not a career

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good money,great benefits and location

Cons

Management don't their job they let the employees tell them what to do.

Working as a CCA

Current Employee - CCA in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - CCA in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor

Pros

Great Pay a lot of hours

Cons

You work 6 days a week

Give benefits to employees

Not Bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with. It is like getting paid to go to the gym everyday.

Cons

Like going to the gym everyday. Poor pay, poor hours.

In general I don't hate it, but better compensation would be nice with more full-time opportunities.

receiving and dispatching of mail using the most modern equipment and knowledge available. did this for 53 years.It,s st

Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Distribution Clerk in Shreveport, LA

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

it's steady and payed well with all benefits.too many people and we all did pretty much the same kind of work.

Cons

too many people doing the same kind of work. it was hard to excel.

be thrifty and not wasteful. good times come and then they go.

Seasonal Work Good Money

Former Employee - PSE Clerk in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - PSE Clerk in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at US Postal Service

Pros

If you don't mind working overtime, the money is there to be made. Great people to work with.

Cons

Management does not want to listen to any new ideas, There is only one way to do things and that is management way only..

Sometimes you should listen to the new help that is coming on board.