US Postal Service

2.9
1,394 Reviews

US Postal Service Postmaster General & CEO Patrick R. Donahoe
Patrick R. Donahoe

Pros
  • The people are great, the pay and benefits are good too with semi- flexible hours (in 77 reviews)

• Good pay with excellent medical benefits plus you get plenty of vacation time (in 153 reviews)

Cons
  • Waiting to go full time can take years and you have no benefits until then (in 88 reviews)

• Very likely that you have to wait many years to move into a full-time position (if ever) (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Potential CCA's READ THIS REVIEW

Current Employee - CCA
    Current Employee - CCA

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

First: In this economy? The pay. New carriers start out at $15,30/hr and (even though your orientation leader may so you're not guaranteed 40 hrs/week) you will get a monstrous amount of overtime. Once you're past your first couple of months and you understand how to carry mail properly you will often work from 8a-6p nearly every day. Also with a few cities, like mine, you will work on Sundays for Amazon. This usually adds an additional 5 hours to the paycheck. Myself and other CCA's in the station work between 51-64 hours a week.

Secondly: You are your own boss for the most part. You will spend 1-2 hours a day in the office between receiving and casing your magazines and any left over letters that the machine didn't sort out. Once you've been in past the 90 day probationary period you are eligible to "hold down" an open route. If you are lucky enough to get a good long term hold (the regular is gone for injury or some other reason) you will learn how to case routes very quickly.

Third: Fitness. There's a lot of people who want to lose weight out there. I weighed 235 lbs when I first started working for the post office and now I weight 180. I lost 50 lbs in the first 3 months alone. It's all exercise though. You can diet if you want, but remember you'll need energy to walk those long routes.

Fourth: Coworkers. Yea, there are turds in every environment, but most of the career employees there are really pulling for you to succeed. Most carriers in my station are former military and a lot of them have been friends for decades. Being a CCA myself, I was worried about how well I'd fit in with some of the grizzled older carriers but they accepted me right away.

Cons

So where to begin. Well remember when I talked about working all that overtime in the Pros section? It's not optional. You will be expected to be at work every day of the week, including Sundays, unless you have a decent management staff. During the Christmas season I once worked for 53 days straight without an off day. We had new CCA's get hired and quit within weeks. Have a family? Tough luck. You will get to see them from 6:30pm till they go to sleep. Sundays you will likely get off work around 1-2pm.

Management is mostly compromised of people who are former carriers or clerks, which is nice because they promote from withing, but the devastating caveat to this is that most of them are uneducated persons. A fair amount of carriers start when they're in their late teens and early twenties and come from jobs that were minimum wage or did not require them to have any kind of leadership training. The managers don't care about the welfare of the employees mental status until it's too late, and most of them tend to act like they were never carriers at all by expecting completely ridiculous things from the CCA's and some career carriers. It's not unusual for a carrier to be given a 2 hr "assist" in addition to whatever their main route is. While most carriers can get this done without much issue, for a new carrier or even an experience carrier on a bad weather day, it can become very stressful mentally.

The threat of being fired is incredibly annoying as a CCA. If you call off sick, if you need to have a personal day, if you even need to pick your kids up from school because your wife got stuck late at the office, a manager will pull you aside and remind you of how expendable you are. The Paid Time Off (PTO) you accrue will come very quickly, and you'll soon realize you have 40 hours and would like a nice little vacation.. too bad you can't take it. As a CCA you're expected to work 360 days a year and then you get 5 days off as a reward and a massive paycheck AFTER your 5 days off. Now you can use that fat cash to...uhhh.. buy something I guess? Certainly would have been more useful if I got it before the 5 day period to use on my vacation.

While the career carriers are really great to deal with usually, the fellow CCA's can become very competitive. Often times if you're given an assist and it's better than another CCA's assist who has "seniority" over you they will complain to other carriers and management that they should have gotten the "good" assist. This is one of the fatal flaws that new people with struggle with. No matter how much faster you are, no matter how much more accurate you are, no matter what, everyone gets promoted by time with the post office. This leads to a lot of carriers just doing the bare minimum and putting the excess on other CCA's or carriers.

The final con (that I'll write about) is that the weather sucks. I know carriers who have been delivering mail for 20+ years and they still can't deal with the rain, the snow, or the heat. The heat is the biggest killer for carriers by far though. If you're in an area that suffers from hot, muggy summers, get ready to consume gallons of water every day, and sweat that out (often onto your customers mail). The worst is when it rains on a hot summer day and then evaporates right off your clothing. Makes you feel like a walking sauna.

CCA's are people too. We have families, we get sick, we need to go the the bank. file our taxes, go to PTA meetings, etc. We understand the needs of the business as well as anyone else, but giving a CCA a day off once every 2-3 weeks isn't going to cost the company nearly as much as having a CCA quit and having to work regulars into V-time. Get your CCA's their uniform allotment on time and if they're within their 90 days loan them some of your rain gear. Stop telling people to "suck it up" because "you carried for 5 years with a broken foot, one eye, and a hook for a hand." If it sucked for you, it probably sucks for us. Think about what you would have wanted as a Carrier or CCA/PTF and let that help you dictate how to manage the post office. Your numbers are important, but they're not gonna get any better when the morale of the entire office is in the dumpster.

I've never hated a job until now

Current Employee - CCA in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - CCA in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-having off on holidays
    -no supervision during most of the day

Cons

-having off on holidays. The day after is always crazy and heavy so you can't even enjoy the holiday.
    -CCAs always get the work no one wants to do especially if you aren't management's favorite
    -CCAs never get days off and sometimes have to work Sunday's
    -no benefits
    -becoming a regular is impossible
    -managers are rude
    -all they do is rush you (creating a heightened risk for injury) and if you do finish in a good time they give you more work

You don't have to let your miserable lives effect your employees.

Its Okay

Current Employee - CCA in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - CCA in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Steady work, keeps you in shape, not stuck in a cubicle.

Cons

Management only care about numbers. I have been here about a month and I am trying to pick up on all the tricks of the trade to increase my speed. I work on a park and loop and hopping route. (Drive to a location and then carry all the mail for that route on you while you walk the block). So, I have yet to hone in my speed on this issue. When I started it was taking me 6 hours to do half a route. I am now taking 8 hours for a full route. I am told it should only take me 6 hours as I am only delivering and not casing(sorting) the mail for the route. Every day I am told that Yesterday was bad and I need to improve. When I state that I have been improving, I get a "It doesn't matter, I need you to do it in this time" response. I was pulled in to the office and talked to about being let go already if my times do not get up to par. I am improving, it is just taking me some time. When I ask what I can do to improve I am told to do it faster. I am speed walking these routes rather than just walking to get it this close. I am not on a set schedule, I have to call every morning to find out if I am working that day or not.

Allow the new hires some time to get the hang of the "how to's" of the job.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Postmaster Relief
    Former Employee - Postmaster Relief

I worked at US Postal Service part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable and consistent employment. Friendly co-workers and employees. Sundays and major US holidays off. Good pay and benefits if you are a regular employee.

Cons

Constant policy changes, 6 day a week availability, on call and limited hours for temporary employees but must maintain 100% availability in case you are called in. Difficult to have another job.

Consider giving TRC's PMR's and any other temporary employees at least 10-15 hours a week. Four hours at $11.00/hour is not enough to be on call all the time.

Can you say..."Roller Coaster Ride"

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

The salary, salary, and salary.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement and management must step down off that high horse.

USPS delivers but does not listen

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits; Operates at very fast pace; Uses state-of-the-art technology;

Cons

It seems like everyone in the enterprise is so busy talking that they don't listen well.

Great company

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

The pay is very good.

Cons

Is a very fast pace environment.

Personal Support Employee Officer in Charge

Current Employee - Personal Support Employee in Athens, ME
    Current Employee - Personal Support Employee in Athens, ME

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

It is good job for self motivated person.

Cons

Have to work split shift day and six days a week.

Very Hard Work as a CCA

Current Employee - CCA in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - CCA in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Ok pay and you work alone for majority of your day

Cons

You have to do as many routes as your supervisor ask of you

It used to be a career.......

Current Employee - Mail Processing Clerk in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Mail Processing Clerk in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Great Benefits! And good pay.

Cons

Management isn't what it once was. No respect for the job anymore.

give the employees more respect. They're the ones doing all the work.