US Sports Academy Reviews

1. Great Place to Work!

Former Employee - Director of Finance in Daphne, AL
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in Daphne, AL

I worked at US Sports Academy

Pros

I would recommend the United States Sports Academy to anyone who appreciates the value of being part of a uniquely talented team of sports professionals. During my tenure of more than sixteen (16) years at the United States Sports Academy I was afforded many opportunities for both personal and professional growth and was the recipient of numerous letters of accommodation in recognition of my contributions. The institution provided its employees with exceptional benefits and opportunities for professional advancement whether as a faculty member or supporting staff and its physical location, near the beautiful white sand beaches of Gulf Shores, was definitely an added bonus. Simply put, I found it to be an excellent place to work.

Cons

May not be the best fit for someone who is not accustomed to a more structured work environment.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at US Sports Academy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, the staff, watching their games, being a part of a place that helped kids fulfill their dreams when their parents could not afford it.

Cons

No time off or vacation, but I wasn't exactly full time each week. Seeing certain kids get turned down if they had been in trouble. It still made me feel bad.

Advice to Management

A day off here and there like Christmas Eve would make a huge difference.

3. Avoid, terrible place to work

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Daphne, AL
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Daphne, AL

I worked at US Sports Academy

Pros

I can't think of any. The pay was subpar considering what I later found in Mobile and the atmosphere was one of mass firings and paranoia. I can wholeheartedly say the other 'positive' reviews on here must've been 'sponsored' by the company as this was the worst place I've worked in my 20+ year career.

It's unfortunate that once you get into a position (anywhere) it's hard to muster up the courage to find a new job in your off hours when you have a family. Having said that, leaving was one of the best things I ever did.

Cons

Zero work life balance, expected to work at least an hour late every night but will get cited for getting to work 5 minutes early the next day instead of the required 15. Ridiculous.

Upper Management is a good old boys club of family, friends and snobby perverts with tenure.

Poses as a university but is actually just an online Diploma Mill. Pretends to love and support the military but wants little more than their GI Bill, Inflated job placement rates (all schools do this and it isn't right) and recruiters that sound more like used car salesmen. Poses as a museum but no one visits that either, I'm almost certain it's just a creative tax writeoff and a way to invest their money into something that doesn't depreciate under inflation -- Art.

No matter what attire you make people adhere to (suit and tie, company polo on fridays - you must purchase their polo shirt though), clothes don't make the people -- All you have to do is look at the CEO to see that. Verbally abuses his secretaries to the point that I've seen/heard about them crying. Yes, he's a 90 Year old man and things were different back then, but he's an obviously terrible excuse for a human being who doesn't know how to show anyone respect unless they're eating caviar with him.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't want anyone's advice, they've got it all figured out.

US Sports Academy Response

Feb 20, 2015Dean of Administration & Finance

The United States Sports Academy does not typically respond to the reviews posted on glassdoor.com. In this case, however, the anonymous reviewer states that the Academy poses as a university but is ... More

5. Hostile Work Environment

I worked at US Sports Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While working at the Academy I had the privilege of working within a great department. My team was highly knowledgeable and very professional and expressed a desire to learn and grow more. This was a huge bonus for me. This ends my list of pros.

Cons

Unfortunately the list of cons outweighed the single pro I have listed and ultimately forced my hand in changing my career path. I decided to leave the Academy due to the hostile nature of upper level management. The upper level management team will use threats, public humiliation and intimation to run this organization. A sincere warning to the would-be job seeker: DO NOT APPLY!!! Your time is better spent looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

It is a known fact that people will work at a BAD job for a GREAT employer LONGER than working at a GREAT job for a HORRIBLE boss. You have been advised.

6. Interesting Work on the Eastern Shore; Exposure to Many New Experiences.

I have been working at US Sports Academy full-time

Pros

The Academy believes in taking care of its employees. The benefits are above and beyond what is the norm for current work environments. The staff is professional, diligent, and caring toward students and colleagues. Administration does try to work within extenuating circumstances and compromise when able to do so.

Cons

Advancement opportunities appear to be minimal for long term career growth. Yet, there is a balance for work-family. Compensation occurs in other ways as a trade-off.

Advice to Management

N/A.

7. Educational Institution for Professionals

I have been working at US Sports Academy (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is an institution for dedicated professionals--those who can make it to work on time, dress professionally, and get the job done. There is a lot of room for upward movement and/or creativity within your role--and the benefits are hard to beat. The Academy is extremely veteran-friendly, and the faculty and staff come from a variety of sport, military, and education backgrounds.

Cons

The time-off policies are strict, but they have recently been revised by upper management in consideration of the personal/family needs of the faculty and staff.

Advice to Management

The staff lunches, barbecues, art and award functions, workout groups, and holiday activities have come and gone throughout the years, but they are always a lot of fun and offer great team-building opportunities between departments. Academy Club attire on Fridays would be nice.

8. Great Opportunities

I have been working at US Sports Academy

Pros

Team Oriented-everyone pulls together to get the job done.
    Able to be involved in unique and interesting things such as sculpture unveiling and meeting athletes and coaches that visit the campus.
    Offers great opportunities to learn and grow in your career.

Cons

I was use to a paperless system. Would like to see the company go to a system where everything is stored electronically. Each individual would have access to only the files that pertains to their job.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed the company gathering where we had lunch and team challenges. Maybe this could be done on a quarterly basis.

9. Sports, Art and Education all in one

I have been working at US Sports Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus and setting in Daphne is fantastic. Be prepared to talk sports all day. Nice gym in the basement. Recruitment was fast and very satisfying. Many opportunities to grow here. Flat management structure and fast decision making process are strengths.

Cons

Keeping up and producing results are key to success. Ties are mandatory - find comfy options.

Advice to Management

Adopt technology. Keep focused on student -centered philosophy.

10. Working at the center of a storm

I worked at US Sports Academy full-time

Pros

Opportunities to do interesting work. Salaries and benefits decent.

Cons

The organizational structure is very regimented with two people ultimately making all decisions. Faculty do not have academic freedom in the traditional sense of the term. There is a 40% turnover among on campus employees every year. People often leave or are fired for no apparent reason. The work environment is stifling and a sense of paranoia pervades the organization. This is all due to the fact that President/CEO is the founder of the institution and the second in command is one of the founder's sons.

Advice to Management

Nothing to share because upper management is not prepared to listen to any advice.